✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming in late here, but I wanted to comment on the original post regardless of where the tangents have gone in a way I'm sure has been covered before... but... fudge it.

Lust for another man's wife is a sin because wanting the act in your heart is similarly damaging to your heart as actually committing adultery. I think we all agree on this.

In my opinion, masturbation is OFTEN sinful because people tend to touch thinking about people they shouldn't have lust for.

However... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having lust for one's spouse. "wanting to have sex with your husband/wife" is... kinda part of marriage. Nothing wrong with having explicit sexual thoughts, desires, even plans... involving your spouse (barring harmful fetishes).

Further, not everything we would consider "masturbation" is entirely sexual. Younger people tend to have their hands "down there" just to figure out how the heck that mess works! They're not lusting after someone... they're figuring out "hey... what's that do!?" Of course, this isn't appropriate all the time everywhere... but when parents tell their kids how sinful and shameful it is to EVER touch or think about that part of their anatomy for any reason other than peeing, which is dirty and disgusting is exactly what CAUSES those harmful fetishes later in life (mentioned above).

If you were first "discovering yourself" and were caught by a parent who said:
"That's your body. God made it beautiful... but those parts are personal and it's modest (a good thing) to keep your personal parts to yourself." How would this affect you?

If, instead your parent said "NO! Never touch that, it's disgusting! What you're doing is a sin!" ... what affect would this have?

Upvote 0

omegadk1

En Masse
Aug 4, 2011
Ontario
Visit site
✟15,197.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Coming in late here, but I wanted to comment on the original post regardless of where the tangents have gone in a way I'm sure has been covered before... but... fudge it.

Lust for another man's wife is a sin because wanting the act in your heart is similarly damaging to your heart as actually committing adultery. I think we all agree on this.

In my opinion, masturbation is OFTEN sinful because people tend to touch thinking about people they shouldn't have lust for.

However... there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with having lust for one's spouse. "wanting to have sex with your husband/wife" is... kinda part of marriage. Nothing wrong with having explicit sexual thoughts, desires, even plans... involving your spouse (barring harmful fetishes).

Further, not everything we would consider "masturbation" is entirely sexual. Younger people tend to have their hands "down there" just to figure out how the heck that mess works! They're not lusting after someone... they're figuring out "hey... what's that do!?" Of course, this isn't appropriate all the time everywhere... but when parents tell their kids how sinful and shameful it is to EVER touch or think about that part of their anatomy for any reason other than peeing, which is dirty and disgusting is exactly what CAUSES those harmful fetishes later in life (mentioned above).

If you were first "discovering yourself" and were caught by a parent who said:
"That's your body. God made it beautiful... but those parts are personal and it's modest (a good thing) to keep your personal parts to yourself." How would this affect you?

If, instead your parent said "NO! Never touch that, it's disgusting! What you're doing is a sin!" ... what affect would this have?

So, with the part that is in red above, is it the act itself or the thoughts? To me it seems it's the thoughts. If it can be done with out the thoughts, then what sin is left?

Upvote 0
L

Life2Christ

So, with the part that is in red above, is it the act itself or the thoughts? To me it seems it's the thoughts.
I don't remember the biblical passage, I'm really bad at that, but everything pretty much flows from your heart (desires). That's why you have to put a lock and key on that sucker. Our hearts and minds work together and that is what drives us.

Look what happened yesterday, CNN reported that the FBI busted 70 people that participated on a child abuse site. Those monsters banned together and created that site to feed their desires and commune with one another. In their hearts and minds, they totally justified their behavior.

Upvote 0

omegadk1

En Masse
Aug 4, 2011
Ontario
Visit site
✟15,197.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember the biblical passage, I'm really bad at that, but everything pretty much flows from your heart (desires). That's why you have to put a lock and key on that sucker. Our hearts and minds work together and that is what drives us.

Look what happened yesterday, CNN reported that the FBI busted 70 people that participated on a child abuse site. Those monsters banned together and created that site to feed their desires and commune with one another. In their hearts and minds, they totally justified their behavior.

That kind of thing (70 people with child abuse sites) is disgusting, no doubt.

I'm just refering to masturbating with out visul stimulous such as in your mind, computer, paper etc. It can be done, as I did it before I married my wife. (not my whole life, just after becoming a christian and relizing the sin of inappropriate contentography)

p.s. I'm totally bad with versus too... I try to remind myself with bible gateway... lol^_^

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Well technically, if you're going to do that, that is probably the only way TO do it. But then you are still walking a slippery slope too. You just have to be careful about what you are thinking about. It is so easy to justify crap.

One who is married can have just thoughts of their spouse.

There is no sin in that.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, with the part that is in red above, is it the act itself or the thoughts? To me it seems it's the thoughts. If it can be done with out the thoughts, then what sin is left?

Exactly the point I was trying to get at. If the thoughts are sinful, the act leading to those thoughts aren't a good idea. However, thinking about your spouse in that way is in no way sinful, therefore I've never seen any justification for it being wrong.

From the perspective of a single person... it's a bit more subjective. When you dream, are your dreams filled with people that actually exist? Usually not. Some people may play a cameo in dreams, but most are arbitrary randomized theoretical people. If a woman fantasized about what she imagines intimacy will be like with a husband in the future... I don't see a problem with that. What matters is how God feels about it... so, I suggest giving it good, honest prayer and listen to your heart.

Upvote 0

Rev.Ross

Aug 1, 2011
East Coast
✟322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is why every couples should have a photo of the other nude to help them focus on proper masturbation. I am thinking of placing a nude photo of my wife over my bed to focus erotic thoughts on my wife, or maybe a digital picture frame of various nude photos of my wife. There are times when my wife's migraines prevent us from being intimate, and masturbation helps relieve my sexual tension.
Thanks, Rev.Ross

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rev.Ross

Aug 1, 2011
East Coast
✟322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Masturbation is no sin. Many times it averts sin, it averts HIV, STD's, and unwanted pregnancy. 95% of men do it, as a very high percentage of women. There is no Scripture or example of masturbation being sinful. Some of the anti-masturbation attitude results from a mis-reading of Genesis 38 about Onan dying because he spilled his seed. What he did was coitus interruptus with his wife Tamar. He withdrew from her vagina at the point of his [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and his sperm fell on the ground. The rest of the story is amazing, Tamar got pregnant from her fatherinlaw, as he would not let another son fulfill the law on Levirite marriage-the nearest male relative sleeps with the woman to continue the family line. The Bible never said what Tamar did was sinful, and in fact she is commended by Judah for her desire to do the right thing. In fact Tamar is listed as an ancestor of Jesus in Matthew and Luke's Gospels. Thanks,Rev.Ross

Upvote 0

NathanielRH

Aug 5, 2011
✟7,731.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Masturbating is abuse of the flesh.

Yes, it is related to sin.

It is something that the average Christian should practice Fasting. Although, falling short of this fast is expected for most. These things are planned for in the eyes of God.

However, if you dare but-so look to another who is married, or courting, or un-Christian, and lust for them -- you are answering the calls of the darkness within you.

-Nathan

Upvote 0

GodsChild77

Oct 3, 2010
✟12,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being married to her is not healthy either. MB should only be used long enough to get rid of her and get a new wife.

Yikes... For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. I hope I don't end up with a man like this. I don't have MS... I'm just saying, if anything were to ever happen to my health, I would hope to find out that what we had all that time was real and that we would make it through it together in God's way.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Created well and commanded to be sick
Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yikes... For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. I hope I don't end up with a man like this. I don't have MS... I'm just saying, if anything were to ever happen to my health, I would hope to find out that what we had all that time was real and that we would make it through it together in God's way.

I wouldn't trust the advice on this site. There's some... pretty wacky people out there, so don't take it too seriously. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
As a counter to fight the evils of the flesh, I propose humans marry no later than mid-teens in order to avoid the filthiness of the flesh. This would greatly reduce sin, wouldn't it? We need arranged marriages back.
oh my crumbs,my son Peter is only 13 so that means hes only got another 3 years until hes midteens,i see him as my baby still,i wouldnt want him to even start dating girls until hes at least 16,i think kids should enjoy their childhood first before getting into romance and do his well at school.

Upvote 0

Brownstoned

May 1, 2005
✟18,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a counter to fight the evils of the flesh, I propose humans marry no later than mid-teens in order to avoid the filthiness of the flesh. This would greatly reduce sin, wouldn't it? We need arranged marriages back.

I agree. Dating is just a bunch of teenage kids who think they know how a true relationship works and survives. They dont know what they are looking for and they barely know who they are themselves... Whereas the parents, mature in their marriage and have grown to understand sacrifice and relationships, were once in their child's position and most likely have very similar personalities as them. Therefore, the parents are able to make the best decision in what type of spouse their child would be able to live with. Have you noticed that most boys end up being just like their father, and in most cases look for wives similar to that of their mother? The same goes the girl, in looking for a man similar to her dad. Hence, their parents are the perfect people to know what type of man/woman their child would be compatible with.
This is all assuming that the parents are still together obviously. Western civilization has completely screwed up marriage. Look at where it is today. Ancient biblical eastern marriages were much more successful than the experiment that the western world has tried and failed.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2004
Everett, wa
✟15,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Masturbating is abuse of the flesh.

Yes, it is related to sin.

It is something that the average Christian should practice Fasting. Although, falling short of this fast is expected for most. These things are planned for in the eyes of God.

However, if you dare but-so look to another who is married, or courting, or un-Christian, and lust for them -- you are answering the calls of the darkness within you.

Mind expanding on that thought? If a married couple are unfortunately apart for some business trip or other reason and one masturbates to the thought of their spouse... how is this inherently an abuse of his or her flesh?

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Masturbating is abuse of the flesh.

Yes, it is related to sin."

Yeah, it's kinda like a cousin to sin, or it's sister, or uncle. Fact is there's no blood relative for it is NOT a sin. Rather a private comfort in life.

I don't get the "abuse of the flesh" idea; sounds creative in thinking.

Upvote 0