• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Martin Luther identifies the Antichrist over 500 years ago!

Discussion in 'Christian History' started by BrightCandle, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Well-Known Member

+123
    SDA
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The quote copied below is from one of Martin Luther's last books. It was titled: "A Prelude by Martin Luther on the Babylonian Captivity of the Church".

Page 536, chapter 3.

"Nevertheless, since few know this glory of baptism and the blessedness of Christian liberty, and cannot know them because of the tyranny of the pope, I for one will walk away from it all and redeem my conscience by bringing this charge against the pope and all his papists: Unless they will abolish their laws and traditions, and restore to Christ's churches their liberty and have it taught among them, they are guilty of all the souls that perish under this miserable captivity, and the papacy is truly the kingdom of Babylon, yes, the kingdom of the real Antichrist! For who is " the man of sin" and "the son of perdition" but he that with his doctrines and his laws increases sins and the perdition of souls in the Church, while he sits in the Church as if he were God? All this the papal tyranny has fulfilled, and more than fulfilled, these many centuries. It has extinguished faith, obscured the sacraments and oppressed the Gospel."

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Avatar

Avatar Well-Known Member Supporter

+38,041
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    The Pope is the antiChrist? How original.

3. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,621
    Catholic
    Single
  4. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+27,718
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    No worries mate. Bush is in the lead for it now. :)

Results 1 - 10 of about 787,000 for pope is antichrist.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bush+is+antichrist

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,140,000 for bush is antichrist.

Btw, I am "defending" the Roman church over on this thread. They moved it to the eschaology "guru" board LOL.

http://christianforums.com/t6813701-question-time-jesus-returns-before-or-after-1000yrs.html

5. BrightCandle

+123
    SDA
    Married
    US-Constitution

Yes, it is comes from an original work of Martin Luther. The sad fact is that the majority of Protestant and Evangelical Christians don't even know that Luther ID'd the Antichrist long before Futuristic and Preteristic theological deceptions evolved. Its time to go "back to the future" to gain understanding of prophecy.

6. Avatar

+38,041
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I would have thought Hillary would be top choice. ^_^

7. Thekla

Thekla Guest

+0
    is it possible to list here all claims for who the antichrist is ?

8. BrightCandle

+123
    SDA
    Married
    US-Constitution

Yes, Luther had his faults. But, Luther was "spot on" when it came to identifying the Antichrist. Additionally, almost all of the other Reformers of the 16th century also held the same view of the Papacy as Luther.

9. Avatar

+38,041
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    My personal guess is Brittney Spears.

10. BrightCandle

+123
    SDA
    Married
    US-Constitution
    That would cause a lot of confusion. The key is to look at the long view of sacred and secular history and compare the key texts dealing with the Antichrist in the Bible. The Historicist view point of Bible prophecy is the most balanced and safe way to interpret because it looks at the past, the present, and the future, which provide much greater evidence to base your final conclusions on.

11. LittleLambofJesus

+27,718
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    My own best personal Scriptural choice would be this Dude in Luke 16:24. :eek:

Luke 16:24 And he sounding said: "Father Abraham! be you merciful to-me! and send Lazarus!, that he should be dipping the tip of the finger of him of water, and should be cooling down the tongue of me,--that I am being pained/odunwmai <3600> (5743) in the flame/flogi, this."...................
    29 Saying to him, Abraham: "They are having Moses and the Prophets: Let them hearken to them"!

Reve 14:11 And the Smoke of the Tormenting/basanismou <929> of Them is ascending into Ages to-Ages. And not they are having rest Day and Night

http://foru.ms/t4437955-lazarus-and-the-rich-man.html

12. Tonks

Tonks No longer here Supporter

+665
    Eastern Orthodox
    US-Libertarian
    I've always wondered why the SDAs were so obsessed with Catholicism. Of all the groups out there they are - by far - the ones that I find less concerned with actual preaching (unless it involves Sabbath worship) and more concerned about yelling about the Catholic Church.

The Pope as Anti-Christ is the confessional belief of several protestant denominations. In the past several hundred years or so, however, they've sort of gotten beyond that sticking point and have preached Christ as the physician of men...and have gotten on with the business of savlation.

I don't yet detect any sort of theological or doctrinal maturing out of the Adventist groups yet. Pretty sad, really.

When a group defines themselves more by what they are not instead of what they are I generally find it to be good advice that one should run, not walk, in the opposite direction.

13. CaDan

CaDan I remember orange CF Supporter

+2,623
    Christian
    Married
    If the Pope is the Antichrist (and has been for a couple of centuries), doesn't that play havoc with Millerite eschatological timetables?

14. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+630
    Catholic
    Single
    All we need now is a poll.

Peace

15. Tonks

Tonks No longer here Supporter

+665
    Eastern Orthodox
    US-Libertarian
    Don't get me started...

16. Melethiel

Melethiel Miserere mei, Domine Supporter

+826
    Lutheran
    Married
    Re. Luther....context is everything.
    (Personally, I think Pope Benny is terrific...)

17. LittleLambofJesus

+27,718
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
  18. CaDan

CaDan I remember orange CF Supporter

+2,623
    Christian
    Married
    *drops a quarter in Tonks's slot and pulls the big handle*

:p

19. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,621
    Catholic
    Single
    what is the SDA sticking up for Luther,
    Luther worshiped on Sunday
    And Hated Jews,
    neither of these things SDA stands for

20. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+457
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    You know who I think one Anti-Christ figure could be? Charlemagne. Or whoever it was that first butchered Church History for their own agenda.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.