• no opinion

• Other please specify.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gil-Galad12

Nov 20, 2003
✟750.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think the point here is whether a person who kills is automatically corrupt, there are many instances when it can be justified. Killing will always be around, as long as men are corrupt. The argument is whether it is wise for a person to take killing humans as if you're picking off rabbits with a .22.

Reactions: Milla
Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SUNSTONE said:
Some times it is a sin, not to kill someone.

Really?

Are you sure it's "not killing" that's the sin, and not "not defending someone else from them"?

Is there any circumstance in which you can prevent someone from doing any harm without killing him, but not killing him would be a sin?

Some times we have to judge people.

Except for the part where it's absolutely forbidden to us, sure. So, I mean, except for every instant of time from before there was time until after it ends, yes, there's probably a lot of times when we have to judge people. They're just not actually within time as we understand it, I guess.

Like a rapiest, you can't reason with them, so you must jail them to help stop a very bad sin.

Well, gosh. I know a few people who will be very unhappy to learn this.

The existence of sentences other than life sentences is rooted in a belief that you can, in fact, reason with people, and that they can learn.

In fact, most people (those who aren't genuinely crazy, anyway) can indeed be reasoned with. In fact, someone's been healing terrorists, by telling them the truth and reasoning with them, and he's got a pretty good track record.

If God wanted us to be passive "all" of the time, then He wouldn't have put Romans 12 in there.

There are options other than "passive" and "murderous".

Martin Luther King was not "passive". Neither was Gandhi.

Some times stopping a person we only need to say something. Some times we need to scream, sometimes we need to fight, and some times we need to kill.

Let's say I grant this for the sake of argument.

That doesn't give us any way it can be moral for someone to love the killing. To accept it as a heavy burden, yes. To talk about it as an enjoyable and fun activity... That's unhealthy. And immoral.

Upvote 0

poretz

Sep 20, 2004
✟1,034.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SUNSTONE said:
Avoiding war would be nice, but you know there are times when that just isn't possible.
Black and white wars, like WW1 or 2.

Just isn't possible? Black and white? WWI?

Recommended reading/viewing (made into a movie): The Guns of August.
"Product Description:
"More dramtatic than fiction...THE GUNS OF AUGUST is a magnificent narrative--beautifully organized, elegantly phrased, skillfully paced and sustained....The product of painstaking and sophisticated research."
CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Historian and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Barbara Tuchman has brought to life again the people and events that led up to World War I. With attention to fascinating detail, and an intense knowledge of her subject and its characters, Ms. Tuchman reveals, for the first time, just how the war started, why, and why it could have been stopped but wasn't. A classic historical survey of a time and a people we all need to know more about, THE GUNS OF AUGUST will not be forgotten."

---
The Guns of August is presented in a straight-forward documentary style, making no effort to embellish the accounts included or to make itself entertaining. It is a thoughtful, often morose recounting of the tragic events that consumed an entire generation of Europe's fighting men and untold numbers of innocent civilians unable to avoid its terrible path. It leaves the viewer unable to believe that such horrors could be loosed on the world again, yet knowing that they were a scant two decades later.

For any student of military or political science, this is a film not to be missed. The awful depiction of the results of failed diplomacy is a lesson not to be dismissed, lest it must be relearned yet again.

Upvote 0