✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.whiotv.com/news/4160697/detail.html

"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."
He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis continued. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Sounds reasonable to me.
What is a General suppose to say, I cry myself to sleep over the suffering of our enemy?

Marine Corp Generals are suppose to be tough.

Grimbold

Feb 3, 2005
Mountain West
Visit site
✟279.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that the commandant is correct in saying that General Mattis should have chosen his words a little more carefully. However, I'm certain that he is quite happy to have someone like Mattis around. Billnew is right, a Marine Corps general is supposed to be tough.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Billnew said:
http://www.whiotv.com/news/4160697/detail.html

Sounds reasonable to me.
What is a General suppose to say, I cry myself to sleep over the suffering of our enemy?

Marine Corp Generals are suppose to be tough.

What does tough have to do with enjoying killing people, sounds sociopathic to me.

Reactions: crazyfingers
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,565.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds reasonable to me.

Marine Corp Generals are suppose to be tough

I think some remorse over the taking of a life would be appropriate, but not exactly in the forefront of a soldier's mind. You have to think about the damage you are doing to people, and realize that they are in fact, people. He seems to dehumanize them a bit too much. They have traditions that are different from ours, and ones that he, and virtually all of America find despicable. But they are still people. They still have loved ones and friends that will mourn their loss.

But yes he should be able to shrug it off. As a soldier, he should be able to detatch himself enough to be able to do his job, which does involve the killing of other people. You can't be thinking about this when you are on the battlefield, you have to stay alive and keep your fellow soldiers alive.

It is after the dust is settled that you can reflect about what you have done, and try to find peace with the damage you have inflicted.

War isn't a "brawl", I find it unsettling that he degrades the loss of a life to a common bar fight. I can understand the challenge, the danger, and the adreniline rush to be entertaining. When you are in the battle, many find it to be a pleasant experience, and those are people you want out on the field for reasons of moral. But after the fight is done, if you absolutely no regrets over what has happened, I can't really understand that.

Upvote 0

Gil-Galad12

Nov 20, 2003
✟750.00
Faith
Christian
Redneck said:
"No [soldier] ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb [soldier] die for his country."

:) He probably gets a kick out of doing his job.

Oh yeah. I love that Patton quote.

The guy is being honest. A little abrasive? Yes. But he's a Marine.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Gil-Galad12 said:
Oh yeah. I love that Patton quote.

The guy is being honest. A little abrasive? Yes. But he's a Marine.

The man said he enjoys killing certain people, you don't see a problem with that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
What does tough have to do with enjoying killing people, sounds sociopathic to me.

Sociopathic... Never been around a lot of jarheads have you ?

(I'ts sorta grows on ya)

Reactions: lovemysoldier
Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean grows on you? It is one thing to do it and accept it as part of your job as a soldeir, cop etc but in my eyes it is quite another to enjoying killing.

Does that mean that serial killers are tough or are you implying that "jarheads" are sociopaths?

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Accepting that killing may be required is one thing, but expressing enjoyment over killing another human is a bit weird.

It's tough, you don't want the people who's job it is to kill being too remorseful to function, but I really don't think it's healthy for them to be taking pleasuse in the killing of others.

Anyone else who expressed a sentiment like that would probably be locked up (especially if they were a school kids who expressed those feelings in artwork).

Basically, feeling justified or rightious in taking someone's life is one thing, enjoying doing it is another.

Reactions: Piano Player
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sycophant said:
Accepting that killing may be required is one thing, but expressing enjoyment over killing another human is a bit weird.

It's tough, you don't want the people who's job it is to kill being too remorseful to function, but I really don't think it's healthy for them to be taking pleasuse in the killing of others.

Anyone else who expressed a sentiment like that would probably be locked up (especially if they were a school kids who expressed those feelings in artwork).

Basically, feeling justified or rightious in taking someone's life is one thing, enjoying doing it is another.

We seem to be in the minority here in this thinking, why I don't know but it seems we are.

Upvote 0

Whyzdom

Biblicist
Oct 13, 2004
Moline, Illinois USA
✟17,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:
The man said he enjoys killing certain people, you don't see a problem with that?

I prefer our Marine Corps Officers doing this instead of passing out hugs to everybody. Who do you think the troops would follow first? The guy who says lets do it, and has a certain field tested attitude, or a guy that is afraid to encourage his guys?

Regardless of what I think about killing or not, I would rather have someone there that isn't afraid to do their job, rather than someone who is. I think you folks are making too much of this.

Upvote 0