The "Sinners Prayer" Not what you think!

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
From: The Seeker’s Prayer – by Dr. John Gerstner | Reformed Theology at A Puritan's Mind

"How should lost people pray in order to be saved?

In volume 3 of The Rational Biblical Theology of Jonathan Edwards John Gerstner, an Edwardian scholar, sets forth Edwards’ doctrine of “seeking.” It is a very helpful section in understanding Jonathan Edwards’ puritan roots in evangelism. Gerstner surveys the doctrine of “seeking” systematically through Edwards’ writings and sermons, even his unpublished sermons that are still not available to the public. In the midst of such a survey, Gerstner created a hypothetical letter for an unregenerate seeker to pray based upon what Edwards was thinking as a result of this compilation of information. The following is that letter.

Just in case you are unclear on this, the letter below is an attempt to set forth what Jonathan Edwards would have counseled a seeker to actually pray based on his own ideas, though we do not have anything in his writings practically as such. As you will notice, this prayer would be considered as anti-evangelistic in contemporary circles – the church today repudiates such thoughts and would be abhorred to see it in print in any form. They would never counsel someone to pray a prayer as this. But in light of the survey of puritan teaching, up and through Edwards, this is surely what the puritans did say, did counsel and did preach from their pulpits. The doctrine of seeking is essentially gone from 21st century Christendom, but it needs to be revived. Here we see the outworking of such a doctrine practically. Where are you on the evangelistic theological scale? After reading this prayer, ask yourself “Does this shock you?”

Dear God, whom I hate with all my being precisely because you hate and threaten me with hell, I hate this punishment perhaps even more than I hate you. Or, maybe I should say that I love my comfort even more than I hate you. For that reason I am asking a favor of you. I want you to make me love you, whom I hate even when I ask this and even more because I have to ask this. I am being frank with you because I know it is no use to be otherwise. You know even better than I how much I hate you and that I love only myself. It is no use for me to pretend to be sincere. I most certainly do not love you and do not want to love you. I hate the thought of loving you but that is what I’m asking because I love myself. If you can answer this ‘prayer’ I guess the gift of gratitude will come with it and then I will be able to do what I would not think of doing now—thank you for making me love you whom I hate. Amen."

+++++

Well, it doesn't shock me. Been there, done that. Though honestly I just found this today. 40 years ago that was me, exactly, but I didn't even want to be saved. I was in the occult and hated God and Christ and anything to do with Him. I was a blasphemer of the worst kind.
I hated God because I though he wanted to take everything fun away from me. Of course I know now all those "fun" things were nothing but sin that leads to death.
But how I can relate to this is I was a seeker. I wanted to know the ultimate power whatever that was. Of course my motives were selfish. But over time "something" began to break down the walls so I wasn't so hateful. I started to think of a Creator, albeit not the Biblical one. More like the Star Wars Force with a duality of Light and Dark sides. I still gravitated towards the darkness. My music and drug use, and fleshly lusts could attest to that.
Somehow I began to realize the witchcraft, satanism, all the occult I'd been using and studying was not satisfying at all.

Still no Jesus-Yeshua though.

I wondered if I died I could find the truth and experience that ultimate power. I seriously considered it. But I prayed and a voice spoke to me, this time saying "I am Jesus, turn to me." I didn't see how He could even accept me because of my blasphemies. A lot of wicked sinners feel that way. Done too much. God don't want me. I'm too filthy. But His love and forgiveness overpowered all that and broke down the walls, and I confessed my sins in tears.

I'll be honest, I'd said a few sinners prayers in the years prior to this, and I expected some magical experience, and there was nothing. I also wasn't ready to repent and give up my sin. I'd say I was a seeker, but maybe a little different kind of seeker than expressed above in that prayer modeled after Edwards, but maybe in spirit, not so much.

All I got to say is this: Seek Him. Just like the Jeremiah verse I used in the message this morning, seek Him and He will be found of you when you shall seek Him with all your heart. Amen.

Reactions: jonojim1337

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟6,144.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand how God operates or what he wants. He seems to be wasting my time to be quite frank. Just poverty and misery. Not sure I'm interested in learning anything more either, as I always end up in the same poor and miserable situation. Guess I'll have to wait till I die and his awesome judgement.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't understand how God operates or what he wants. He seems to be wasting my time to be quite frank. Just poverty and misery. Not sure I'm interested in learning anything more either, as I always end up in the same poor and miserable situation. Guess I'll have to wait till I die and his awesome judgement.

Oh, please do not die in a lost condition, or an unsure condition. God never wastes ones time. It may seem as if He's not there, and I speak that by experience as I've been in that place. I've been in a place I been angry at God, and then also wasn't interested in learning, but I went backwards, and life became a shambles. Not a good place to be.
I know what it's like to have poverty. I remember May 2018, I'd helped someone, a friend of mine, and overspent my budget. For 4 days I ate 10 year old stale and wormy dried beans, that would not soften no matter how much I boiled them. Dogs ate same. But at least it was food, and I was thankful my wife had stored those when she was alive, which was back in 2008.
But that's not the worst. I been homeless before, sometimes with a tent, and sometimes not. And NO food.
This has taught me to be thankful for what things I have, and not stress, for as the scripture says, you can't change anything by worry or being anxious.
As far as how God operates, often that's a mystery, and He may have a different plan for us in His will than we do, so I've learned to get self out of the way.
I pray the LORD rebuke the enemy, the devil away from you and give you a breakthrough.
:prayer::groupray:

Upvote 0