Marilyn Manson

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Okay, so I've got a bunch of Marilyn Manson in my mp3 player now, and I'm just not getting what all the negative fuss is about. It's good jogging music, at least ^_^

Seriously, I'm curious. I hear all the time that Marilyn Manson's music is satanic, that it's a negative influence on kids, etc. Now maybe I'm just not listening to the same songs, but I haven't noticed any super questionable lyrics or anything. I'm kind of inclined to write the whole fuss off as utter bunk. But in the interest of equal time, could anyone explain why Manson's got this awful reputation?

And PLEEEEEEASE don't just cut and paste from some anti-secular-music website :)

MoreInSorrow

Your tomorrow will never take you past My palm
Mar 17, 2005
✟2,233.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think musically they're not bad. I think the fuss comes in when people hear him bash and talk negatively regarding Christianity, but I personally think he's full of hot air and doing most if not all of it for attention and publicity, as well as to get a rise out of people. He's an entertainer, not a musician.

Upvote 0

Our Sacred Honor

May 31, 2005
east bay
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
i never really got into him but i do know some history about marilyn manson. i know that his dad is a pastor of a church and i know that marilyn manson is a registered satanic pastor. that just seems a little dark to me...but i guess your entitled to your opinion. he also does rip bibles during his concert and chant [staff edit] god...so in my opinion if your a christian i dont think you should be allowing that kind of stuff in. garbage in garbage out. after all lucifer was the angel of music before his fall....why do you think the music world is so powerful...hmmm...i would be careful with that power...

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟17,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
isn't there already an MM thread?
ah well.
He's an attention harlot, hands down, loathed by most, and overrated by those who love him.
Seriously, people need (and i think they have, somewhat) get over him, ...you know what? I'm not going on a rant here, whatever i say is just going to be my opinion, which is not postive, so might as well skip it.

in summary, i don't like him, the music his band plays or the fact that so many people willingly give him the attention he desires so much

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

london boy

Welsh and German blood, English heart
Apr 5, 2004
London, UK, Europe, The World
✟11,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He's a fake who's just in it for the money. He says that himself. I wonder if he really feels what he does. It's just a publicity stunt - he's like a tabloid newspaper - I wonder who we can offend today with our sensationalist BS. He's a clown that went in the wrong direction.

Upvote 0

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
london boy said:
He's a fake who's just in it for the money. He says that himself. I wonder if he really feels what he does. It's just a publicity stunt - he's like a tabloid newspaper - I wonder who we can offend today with our sensationalist BS. He's a clown that went in the wrong direction.
I dont see you making his kind of money or with his fanbase. Untill you have ither one of those, I dont feel you are qualified to comment. And where did he say he's doing it for the money?

Yeah Im sure alot of what he does is done for the shock value. And alot of the "facts" about him are sensationalist BS that OTHER PEOPLE have created. Why are all sensational rumors HIS creation?

Upvote 0

london boy

Welsh and German blood, English heart
Apr 5, 2004
London, UK, Europe, The World
✟11,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alecto said:
I dont see you making his kind of money or with his fanbase. Untill you have either one of those, I dont feel you are qualified to comment.

And who made you king of the world? Since when are you going to get his money or his fanbase?!

Upvote 0

Dying2Live4Christ

I'm glad I didn't die before I met you...
Apr 29, 2005
Saint Louis, Missouri
✟12,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alecto said:
london boy said:

I dont see you making his kind of money or with his fanbase. Untill you have ither one of those, I dont feel you are qualified to comment. And where did he say he's doing it for the money?

Yeah Im sure alot of what he does is done for the shock value. And alot of the "facts" about him are sensationalist BS that OTHER PEOPLE have created. Why are all sensational rumors HIS creation?

Okay, if london boy can't give his comment, how can you? I am sure you do not have the qualifications you listed (fame, money, etc..) Everyone has freedom to give their personal opinion.

And another thing I have to say, He does create his own persona and rumours that follow. Maybe not all of them, not sure what rumours you are referring to, but he loves the negative attention he receives.

Plus, I am going to give my opinion now...

I think that Marilyn Manson is a sad man with a sick problem. I don't feel he has the musical talent to back up the fame he has recieved from his "shock" value.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Milla said:
Okay, so I've got a bunch of Marilyn Manson in my mp3 player now, and I'm just not getting what all the negative fuss is about. It's good jogging music, at least ^_^

Seriously, I'm curious. I hear all the time that Marilyn Manson's music is satanic, that it's a negative influence on kids, etc. Now maybe I'm just not listening to the same songs, but I haven't noticed any super questionable lyrics or anything. I'm kind of inclined to write the whole fuss off as utter bunk. But in the interest of equal time, could anyone explain why Manson's got this awful reputation?

And PLEEEEEEASE don't just cut and paste from some anti-secular-music website :)

Hey
A big fan of ShockRock, Gothic, Death and Black Metal etcetera, Manson and NIN are two bands I normally mention together, and stay very far away from.

What's common in Shock Rock and especially Goth is that there are often more messages than meet the eye. Therefore, some caution might need to be exercised. Shock Rock is also intended to shock the listeners. They don't hide anything, yet they often make their lyrics double edged. You listen to it, and it shocks you. You read the lyrics and think them through, and you can get even more shocked. This can be good. Like it is in most of Rackets And Drapes' songs. But I can see a lot of pretty bad things in Manson's music. As far as secular shock rock goes, I much prefer RobZombie. Both music wise, and lyrics wise.

Metal wise there are ofcourse many more bands I stay away from. Like Dimmu, Satyricon... Ofcourse, many good bands in that genre too.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Alecto said:
Manson is a bit of a freak for attention. His music is ok (I personally love Personal Jesus by him) but its not something that Id listen to constantly.

"Personal Jesus" is not Manson's song. He just performs it. As have many others. Rackets and Drapes fo a good cover of it too.

Upvote 0

feline

May 25, 2005
✟556.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MoreInSorrow said:
I think musically they're not bad. I think the fuss comes in when people hear him bash and talk negatively regarding Christianity, but I personally think he's full of hot air and doing most if not all of it for attention and publicity, as well as to get a rise out of people. He's an entertainer, not a musician.

agree with this statement. The shocking Anti - christ thing is an image to sell records.

Upvote 0

MoreInSorrow

Your tomorrow will never take you past My palm
Mar 17, 2005
✟2,233.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
faith guardian said:
Hey
A big fan of ShockRock, Gothic, Death and Black Metal etcetera, Manson and NIN are two bands I normally mention together, and stay very far away from.

Here's the only difference, though.

Trent Reznor really is/was messed up (read his Spin article from a month or two ago).

Marilyn Manson wishes he could be Trent Reznor.

Upvote 0

mortis

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
✟241.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Republican
For Christians, we need to be carefull of who we support ( and Silence is the Voice of Compliance). If one of us buys an ablum or a dowload from him then we have supported him to continue what he is doing.

P.S. "Personal Jesus" is a song about Humanism over any Deism(sp?), and promotes the idea that humanity can save itself from Hell and sin.

Upvote 0