1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

'manly' man

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by knownbeforetime, Jan 29, 2006.

1. knownbeforetime

knownbeforetime Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power

+387
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Someone told me they wanted to be a 'manly' man. I got to thinking about this and how ridiculous it sounds.

What is a 'manly' man but a man that lives by the standards of man?

Is that something to strive for? No. Men should seek to be Godly men.

I'll only keep my eye out for only 'Godly' men and not 'manly' men.

2. covenantwmn

covenantwmn Contributor

+753
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'll take both please. :) I like masculinity, but of course Godly is the first priority. But I do want a man that is masculine, not just looking, but the character traits as well. I don't mean neanderthal, just masculine, protector, provider, etc.

3. eatenbylocusts

eatenbylocusts Senior Veteran

+297
    Protestant
    Married
    Godly man first of all, but the "manly man" reminds me of the old Irish Springs soap commercial. Not a priority, but things that sparked a little extra interest with my ex bf was his deep voice, occasional stubble and that's enough. His arms were probably smaller than mine, but it's nice to touch a man's arm and feel some firm mass. Basically, I want a man to look, smell, feel and sound different that my girlfriend.

4. ~HopeFloats~

~HopeFloats~ Blessed

+147
    Christian
    Single
    I guess everyone perception of a manly man is different when I think of a manly man I think of a hardworker--provider ect

I think men who are overflowing with God are so intoxicating.. you know what I mean they are just overflowing with this aura about them..

5. *Starlight*

*Starlight* Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time

+1,364
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I believe that a person should just be himself/herself, without trying to conform to gender stereotypes... Not every man is "masculine", everyone is unique. :)

6. Silver Speak

Silver Speak Guest

+0
    Aye.. Excuse me, I said that more than once. What I mean by 'manly', is rather masculine than wordly. Why can't he be both: manly and godly. I've met christian guys who lack a backbone, so, 'godly' is not really my only standard, geesh...

7. Silver Speak

Silver Speak Guest

+0
    -

8. intricatic

intricatic ...a dinosaur... or something...

+660
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Girly men are better.

9. knownbeforetime

+387
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Don't y'all think that if a man is Godly, then the rest should fall into place? I like masculinity but it shouldn't be a guy's first priority. It shouldn't be his idol.

This is what my friend thinks is lacking in his life: that he's not a 'manly' man. I told him not to worry about that. Be a Godly man with Godly masculine qualities (i.e. provider, protector, etc.).

10. Moluku

Moluku Becoming Mrs. McCarthy June 2, 2007.

+66
    Christian
    US-Libertarian
    If I wasn't worried about finding someone manly I'd remain single and spend time with my best friend who's a girl. Godly should be an obvious prereq for Christians. Manly is a personal preference. I want a Godly man who will be the spiritual leader in situations, who will protect me, and not someone who's scared of his own shadow.

11. knownbeforetime

+387
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I didn't really expect so much opposition to this.:scratch:

Why would a Godly man be scared of his own shadow? If a man is a true prince of God, then he should be fearless, protective, jealous (not in the insane, extreme way but in the Exodus 20:5 way).

12. ~HopeFloats~

~HopeFloats~ Blessed

+147
    Christian
    Single
    I do not think you are getting opposition at all what you are getting is people from different upbrings and experiences giving their opinions.

umm and not love is not jealous period. and no I would not want a fearless man a fearful man--

Age, background, upbring experiences and so on all define everyones answers-- even the men a girl is raised by defines how she would answer this..

13. knownbeforetime

+387
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    God is jealous (I already quoted scripture) when our eye waries away from him. Fortunately, God has other properties too, like grace and forgiveness.

14. ~HopeFloats~

~HopeFloats~ Blessed

+147
    Christian
    Single
    I must have missed something cause I thought we were talking of a actual man-- and what we wanted..:scratch:

15. intricatic

intricatic ...a dinosaur... or something...

+660
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I don't think it's worldly to want to be masculine. It is, however, worldly to want to please those around us by acting or being a certain way. Spiritually, and every other way included.

16. knownbeforetime

+387
    Charismatic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I think we are trying to discuss the difference between a 'Godly' man and a 'manly' man.

A 'Godly' man being one who puts God first and hopefully has acquired a Godly masculinity because of it.

A 'manly' man being one who puts 'being a man' first which, I think, can be harmful. How many abusive husbands are the way they are because they are just trying (way too hard) to be 'the man of the house'.

My friend talked about bullies in school who wanted to prove they were a 'man' by picking on this guy. He gets done telling me how hurtful that was and then turns around and says, "I want to a 'manly' man".

17. ~HopeFloats~

~HopeFloats~ Blessed

+147
    Christian
    Single
    Ok well like I said I do not think a manly man is not a Godly man--nor do i think a manly man does not think of God--its one perception;)

But back to where you stated a Godly man should be jealous-- no where in the Bible does it say a man should be a jealous man as far as I am concerned that is not Love if there is jealousy.Same as Love is Patient Love is Kind...there is a jealous person and a protective person very different.

For the record abusive husbands are not always the manly man-- you are generalizing a lot here...It might surprise you to know what kind of men or women abuse their spouses..:sigh:

18. Willtor

Willtor Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor

+1,405
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    I kind of like the fact that when I go shopping, I find the shortest path from the entrance, to the item I want, to the counter, to the exit.

I kind of like the fact that I shave my head and no social connotations are applied (I hang out with Chinese people, mostly, so nobody thinks I'm a skinhead).

I kind of like holding doors for people.

I kind of like having a rich, baritone singing voice.

I kind of like playing hitting games with other guys until the wee hours of the night.

I kind of like the fact that a little lifting goes a long way (in the biceps area).

---

There's nothing particularly "Christian" or "un-Christian" about any of these things. But I'd call their sum, "manly." What's the problem? What is this "manly" that's so controversial?

One has to talk about the application of what one has before "godly" is relevant.

19. Tuffguy

Tuffguy Speed Racer

+206
    Protestant
    Married
    I agree with Willtor. Why do people bring up thoughts of abusing women, bullies, tempers, and egotisitical morons when the word manly is used? People need to realize that everyone isn't one dimensional. Some people are square boxes forced into a stereotypical round hole by society. Don't be one of those people.

To the OP. Why is being manly rediculous? Is it rediculous for a woman to be feminine? I sure don't think so.

20. FriarTuck

FriarTuck Senior Veteran

+51
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You know I never really liked gender stereotypes. People get locked in when it's not who they are or what they want. But the older I get the more old fashioned I get. I like being a man and although I'm ok doing things considered traditionaly "womens work" I take pleasure in doing things traditionaly considered "mens work"
    I like being able to change the oil/tire/serpentine belt on my car without going to a shop. Being able to clean game and fish I shot/caught myself. Being able to cut down a tree and split it into logs. To take care of the yard. To grill a steak to perfection. None of these things define me as manly nore do they come before being a man of God. Infact in each of these cases I often pray before/during/after. I want to first and foremost do God's will and I think embracing my gender Identity is part of that.