Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Someone told me they wanted to be a 'manly' man. I got to thinking about this and how ridiculous it sounds.

What is a 'manly' man but a man that lives by the standards of man?

Is that something to strive for? No. Men should seek to be Godly men.

I'll only keep my eye out for only 'Godly' men and not 'manly' men.

Reactions: MN John

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Godly man first of all, but the "manly man" reminds me of the old Irish Springs soap commercial. Not a priority, but things that sparked a little extra interest with my ex bf was his deep voice, occasional stubble and that's enough. His arms were probably smaller than mine, but it's nice to touch a man's arm and feel some firm mass. Basically, I want a man to look, smell, feel and sound different that my girlfriend.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power
Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't y'all think that if a man is Godly, then the rest should fall into place? I like masculinity but it shouldn't be a guy's first priority. It shouldn't be his idol.

This is what my friend thinks is lacking in his life: that he's not a 'manly' man. I told him not to worry about that. Be a Godly man with Godly masculine qualities (i.e. provider, protector, etc.).

Upvote 0

Moluku

Becoming Mrs. McCarthy June 2, 2007.
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
✟10,001.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
If I wasn't worried about finding someone manly I'd remain single and spend time with my best friend who's a girl. Godly should be an obvious prereq for Christians. Manly is a personal preference. I want a Godly man who will be the spiritual leader in situations, who will protect me, and not someone who's scared of his own shadow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't really expect so much opposition to this.:scratch:

Why would a Godly man be scared of his own shadow? If a man is a true prince of God, then he should be fearless, protective, jealous (not in the insane, extreme way but in the Exodus 20:5 way).

Upvote 0

~HopeFloats~

Blessed
Jul 6, 2005
✟3,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
knownbeforetime said:
I didn't really expect so much opposition to this.

Why would a Godly man be scared of his own shadow? If a man is a true prince of God, then he should be fearless, protective, jealous (not in the insane, extreme way but in the Exodus 20:5 way).

I do not think you are getting opposition at all what you are getting is people from different upbrings and experiences giving their opinions.

umm and not love is not jealous period. and no I would not want a fearless man a fearful man--

Age, background, upbring experiences and so on all define everyones answers-- even the men a girl is raised by defines how she would answer this..

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BlessedJourney said:
umm and not love is not jealous period. and no I would not want a fearless man a fearful man--
God is jealous (I already quoted scripture) when our eye waries away from him. Fortunately, God has other properties too, like grace and forgiveness.

Upvote 0

~HopeFloats~

Blessed
Jul 6, 2005
✟3,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
knownbeforetime said:
God is jealous (I already quoted scripture) when our eye waries away from him. Fortunately, God has other properties too, like grace and forgiveness.

I must have missed something cause I thought we were talking of a actual man-- and what we wanted..:scratch:

Someone told me they wanted to be a 'manly' man. I got to thinking about this and how ridiculous it sounds.

What is a 'manly' man but a man that lives by the standards of man?

Is that something to strive for? No. Men should seek to be Godly men.

I'll only keep my eye out for only 'Godly' men and not 'manly' men

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BlessedJourney said:
I must have missed something cause I thought we were talking of a actual man-- and what we wanted..:scratch:
I think we are trying to discuss the difference between a 'Godly' man and a 'manly' man.

A 'Godly' man being one who puts God first and hopefully has acquired a Godly masculinity because of it.

A 'manly' man being one who puts 'being a man' first which, I think, can be harmful. How many abusive husbands are the way they are because they are just trying (way too hard) to be 'the man of the house'.

My friend talked about bullies in school who wanted to prove they were a 'man' by picking on this guy. He gets done telling me how hurtful that was and then turns around and says, "I want to a 'manly' man".

Upvote 0

~HopeFloats~

Blessed
Jul 6, 2005
✟3,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A 'Godly' man being one who puts God first and hopefully has acquired a Godly masculinity because of it.

A 'manly' man being one who puts 'being a man' first which, I think, can be harmful. How many abusive husbands are the way they are because they are just trying (way too hard) to be 'the man of the house'

Ok well like I said I do not think a manly man is not a Godly man--nor do i think a manly man does not think of God--its one perception;)

But back to where you stated a Godly man should be jealous-- no where in the Bible does it say a man should be a jealous man as far as I am concerned that is not Love if there is jealousy.Same as Love is Patient Love is Kind...there is a jealous person and a protective person very different.

For the record abusive husbands are not always the manly man-- you are generalizing a lot here...It might surprise you to know what kind of men or women abuse their spouses..:sigh:

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I kind of like the fact that when I go shopping, I find the shortest path from the entrance, to the item I want, to the counter, to the exit.

I kind of like the fact that I shave my head and no social connotations are applied (I hang out with Chinese people, mostly, so nobody thinks I'm a skinhead).

I kind of like holding doors for people.

I kind of like having a rich, baritone singing voice.

I kind of like playing hitting games with other guys until the wee hours of the night.

I kind of like the fact that a little lifting goes a long way (in the biceps area).

---

There's nothing particularly "Christian" or "un-Christian" about any of these things. But I'd call their sum, "manly." What's the problem? What is this "manly" that's so controversial?

One has to talk about the application of what one has before "godly" is relevant.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Willtor. Why do people bring up thoughts of abusing women, bullies, tempers, and egotisitical morons when the word manly is used? People need to realize that everyone isn't one dimensional. Some people are square boxes forced into a stereotypical round hole by society. Don't be one of those people.

To the OP. Why is being manly rediculous? Is it rediculous for a woman to be feminine? I sure don't think so.

Upvote 0

FriarTuck

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2005
✟10,854.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know I never really liked gender stereotypes. People get locked in when it's not who they are or what they want. But the older I get the more old fashioned I get. I like being a man and although I'm ok doing things considered traditionaly "womens work" I take pleasure in doing things traditionaly considered "mens work"
I like being able to change the oil/tire/serpentine belt on my car without going to a shop. Being able to clean game and fish I shot/caught myself. Being able to cut down a tree and split it into logs. To take care of the yard. To grill a steak to perfection. None of these things define me as manly nore do they come before being a man of God. Infact in each of these cases I often pray before/during/after. I want to first and foremost do God's will and I think embracing my gender Identity is part of that.

Upvote 0