Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we prevent forest fires in California? Just ask Trump (who seemed to imply Finland doesn't have this problem, so why does California?):

“You’ve got to take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forests, it’s very important,” Trump told reporters as he posed with California officials in the charred ruins of Paradise — his first stop on the tour.

Trump went on to explain that the president of Finland, whom he met on an overseas trip a week earlier, told him about raking the forest floors. “He called it a forest nation,” Trump said, “and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don’t have any problem."

Finnish President Sauli Niinisto later disputed this. He told a local newspaper that he had briefed Trump on Finland’s efforts to surveil and care for its forests, the Associated Press wrote, “but said he can’t recall anything being mentioned on raking.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...wildfires-he-is-wrong/?utm_term=.617c93f4200c

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DsVLEzFUcAE-E-a.jpg

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How do we prevent forest fires in California? Just ask Trump (who seemed to imply Finland doesn't have this problem, so why does California?):

“You’ve got to take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forests, it’s very important,” Trump told reporters as he posed with California officials in the charred ruins of Paradise — his first stop on the tour.

Trump went on to explain that the president of Finland, whom he met on an overseas trip a week earlier, told him about raking the forest floors. “He called it a forest nation,” Trump said, “and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don’t have any problem."

Finnish President Sauli Niinisto later disputed this. He told a local newspaper that he had briefed Trump on Finland’s efforts to surveil and care for its forests, the Associated Press wrote, “but said he can’t recall anything being mentioned on raking.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...wildfires-he-is-wrong/?utm_term=.617c93f4200c

That's what most people refer to as forestry management. Clearing underbrush is part of it.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what most people refer to as forestry management. Clearing underbrush is part of it.

Yes, and most people can make that point using the correct words.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Raking the floor" is kind of like something you'd do in the vicinity of housing developments. Its not any way to manage the bulk of forest acreage.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did he convey his point succinctly? IMHO, he did. Funny how we all love to quibble over not choosing the proper words or misspeaking (like how many states in the union); in fact it's more than quibble, usually it is actually ridiculing and demonizing.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Did he convey his point succinctly? IMHO, he did. Funny how we all love to quibble over not choosing the proper words or misspeaking (like how many states in the union); in fact it's more than quibble, usually it is actually ridiculing and demonizing.
So what did he really mean?
Whats this thing he thinks they do in Finland?

I mean Trump is just notorious for blabbing any dumb thing that comes to mind, or that he pulled off some idiot sauce blog. He squandered the benefit-of-the-doubt long ago.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What to you really mean?
Ah right. Here's what I really mean:

Trump is just notorious for blabbing any dumb thing that comes to mind, or that he pulled off some idiot sauce blog. He squandered the benefit-of-the-doubt long ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, it's humor thread at Trump's expense. I'm guessing most of us would know better than to compare Finland with California.....

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's humor thread at Trump's expense. I'm guessing most of us would know better than to compare Finland with California.....
What about Greenland. It’s really really green. It’s so green they named it Greenland. You never hear about those people having forest fires. That’s because you don’t have no hair liberals like Jerry Brown... no wonder California has fires.. they don’t rake up the brown stuff! Sad.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DsTCV5FUwAAuxRm.jpg

300 inches of rain a year also helps prevent forest fires. California should just get more rain, duh.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we all know Trump has probably never done raking or any manual labor a day in his pampered life. He simply had his servants or the undocumented immigrants he hired to do the work for him.

I'm sure his bone spurs prevented him from having to do that kind of work but ironcially the spurs never interrupted his golf, which he said he wouldn't have time to do while he was the president.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what did he really mean?
Whats this thing he thinks they do in Finland?

Reducing undergrowth on forest floors. There are a number of techniques for doing so (although raking is not one of them).

I must say, I am somewhat astonished that, in the face of natural disasters that kill many people and destroy enormous amounts of property, people choose not to have a mature discussion about forest management, but to focus the entire debate on a single misspoken word by POTUS.

It's almost like attacking Trump is more important than saving lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Reducing undergrowth on forest floors. There are a number of techniques for doing so (although raking is not one of them).

I must say, I am somewhat astonished that, in the face of natural disasters that kill many people and destroy enormous amounts of property, people choose not to have a mature discussion about forest management, but to focus the entire debate on a single misspoken word by POTUS.

It's almost like attacking Trump is more important than saving lives.
I know!

Instead of a thoughtful discussion of the underlying issue, we rake Trump over the coals.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and most people can make that point using the correct words.
Careful. You are soon going to have to be defending your new darling of the Democrats, Senator A.O.C., and she mislabels just about EVERYTHING having to do with the government she is supposedly now a part of.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing most of us would know better than to compare Finland with California.....

The obvious comparison, in terms of vegetation, hot winds, and urban/forest interface would be Australia.

But there are some parallels to Finland. Temperatures in northern California in November are about the same as Finland in May. Rainfall in many parts of California in November is about the same as Finland in May. Native forests in both California and Finland include a large number of pine trees. I'm sure there's things that Finland does that the rest of the world could learn from.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Careful. You are soon going to have to be defending your new darling of the Democrats, Senator A.O.C., and she mislabels just about EVERYTHING having to do with the government she is supposedly now a part of.
Well then lets not make her president, ok?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The obvious comparison, in terms of vegetation, hot winds, and urban/forest interface would be Australia.

But there are some parallels to Finland. Temperatures in northern California in November are about the same as Finland in May. Rainfall in many parts of California in November is about the same as Finland in May. Native forests in both California and Finland include a large number of pine trees.
Finland, saunas. CA, hot tubs. Totally different.

Upvote 0