Hunter Biden special counsel David Weiss tells Congress that Justice officials never blocked him

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This is not news since he's said so before, contrary to the claims of whistleblowers.

But as long as the House Republicans are going to keep making a fuss, I guess he'll have to keep answering the question.

David Weiss, the federal prosecutor tapped to serve as special counsel investigating Hunter Biden, testified Tuesday behind closed doors to a House committee, telling lawmakers that he has had full authority over the case and was not overruled at any point by other Justice Department officials.

It is highly unusual for the Justice Department to make a special counsel available for questioning by Congress before an investigation is complete.

“I am, and have been, the decision-maker on this case,” Weiss told the panel, according to a written copy of his opening remarks. “I do not, however, make these decisions in a vacuum. I am bound by federal law, the principles of federal prosecution and DOJ guidelines. As a result, there are processes that I must adhere to in making investigative and charging decisions. These processes did not interfere with my decision-making authority. At no time was I blocked, or otherwise prevented from pursuing charges or taking the steps necessary in the investigation by other United States Attorneys, the Tax Division or anyone else at the Department of Justice.”

Attorney General Merrick Garland has long insisted that Weiss, a holdover from the Trump administration who launched the Hunter Biden probe in 2018, was fully authorized to oversee the investigation and make charging decisions. Both he and Weiss have disputed any claim otherwise by the whistleblowers.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is not news since he's said so before, contrary to the claims of whistleblowers.

But as long as the House Republicans are going to keep making a fuss, I guess he'll have to keep answering the question.

David Weiss, the federal prosecutor tapped to serve as special counsel investigating Hunter Biden, testified Tuesday behind closed doors to a House committee, telling lawmakers that he has had full authority over the case and was not overruled at any point by other Justice Department officials.

It is highly unusual for the Justice Department to make a special counsel available for questioning by Congress before an investigation is complete.

“I am, and have been, the decision-maker on this case,” Weiss told the panel, according to a written copy of his opening remarks. “I do not, however, make these decisions in a vacuum. I am bound by federal law, the principles of federal prosecution and DOJ guidelines. As a result, there are processes that I must adhere to in making investigative and charging decisions. These processes did not interfere with my decision-making authority. At no time was I blocked, or otherwise prevented from pursuing charges or taking the steps necessary in the investigation by other United States Attorneys, the Tax Division or anyone else at the Department of Justice.”

Attorney General Merrick Garland has long insisted that Weiss, a holdover from the Trump administration who launched the Hunter Biden probe in 2018, was fully authorized to oversee the investigation and make charging decisions. Both he and Weiss have disputed any claim otherwise by the whistleblowers.
Tough year for whistleblowers.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tough year for whistleblowers.
Well, the thing is, there is this right wing bubble.
It doesn't matter what the truth is. If you're in the bubble, you are never going to see the truth. You just see what is published in the far right propaganda outlets. No doubt there are millions of USA folk that have never seen that Weiss told Congress that Justice officials never blocked him.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, the thing is, there is this right wing bubble.
It doesn't matter what the truth is. If you're in the bubble, you are never going to see the truth. You just see what is published in the far right propaganda outlets. No doubt there are millions of USA folk that have never seen that Weiss told Congress that Justice officials never blocked him.
They’re moved on to other “outrages”, by now, ‘tis true,

Upvote 0