Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Prodromos... It is only as much as I can do... Thank you Ariadni and Nestoj, though. I am glad that you are here... to support us. I know it took a lot of "talking out" to persuade the "American public" the truth about Serbia in the war with Bosnia... This will take much more to see why it is important we as Balkans need not to give in to Fyrominas as the balance of this fragile area might be disturbed again .... As the agenda-driven Fyromians have so widly spread their propaganda...

NOWHERE IN HISTORY (EXCEPT THE SLANTED ONE) THERE IS ANY SPEC OF EVIDENCE FOR THEIR CLAIMS.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Putting footage of the ransacking of the American Embassy in Belgrade by the Serbs and call it the protest in front of the Greek embassy in Skopje is hardly proof of the level of destruction you are referring. The media always twists the truth to the propoganda it serves.

There was distruction of Greek property in FYROM and attacks at our Embacy there... Terrorist activity was ramprant .... on cars... etc... There are photos who do show the opposite...Now that is hard evidence... What do you have? Nothing because we do not go around harassing people's property and endanger their lives....

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
DNA evidence to the contrary:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/Co...ientGenes.html
http://www.makedonika.org/processpai...id=ti.2001.pdf
http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/Co...romosomes.html

We will never agree on the difference between Greeks and Macedonians. The bible points out differences in thier territory, as the Romans knew the differences of the people. There is so much evidence of that based on both Greek and Roman scholars. I present that in another post.

You keep saying we will not agree...etc... And still you post your quote mines... So what will it be?

You are saying you are not Greek Macedonians.. then you say you are... What will it be? If you are Macedonians ...then you must be Greek. If you are not Greek and you are not for sure... DNA testings are many and by far accurate to start up with. Ours are recognized by American labs... so what???

So, end result you are not Macedonians (since the ones who are are Greek, with only exception some Jewish minority and we know you are not Jew Macedonians) so what are you claiming? Nothing since History has no room for this foolishness...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I cannot say I agree with every act against one country or the other. It's a shame it has come to such indecency. I have been to Greece, and had pleasent conversations with a personal guide. My parents also enjoyed the tour.
Thank you for being unbiased for once... Yes, we cannot be cut and dry with both sides nevertheless though FYROM is the agressor here... People are not the problem... I wish the ones who visit FYROM can say the same . The fanaticism there is exuberating and it is your Government that instigates it... Do you know that the Greek Govn't "forbit" any rallies for the Skopian matter? No party except one supported them....How is this for being "tolerant"...

However, I've already mentioned aid to Greece has been denied at every attempt from here, and likewise, death threats at the border, harassing of citizens, violating international airspace, lies in the media, violating the innerim accord hardly goes to help "good neighborly relations". Both sides have had thier share to the unchristain acts against eachother.

We have given aid... that should show where our priorities are.. We have given aid to Turkey with their earthquakes and the Tsunami in Asia... Whoever is hurting we are all for it... And we are poor ...the poorest in Europe after Portugal ...just for the record...here.Maybe if your government comes off its high horse we could talk about the real issues then we could talk about being "good neighbours"....

Incriminating your nation? A vast majority of the posts here monopolize one view point--almost a hate it sounds like of a good people I have the honor of living with. Why should I, living in the middle of all this, simply stand back and take it?? I simply offer the other view. I think that is the right of every person to state thier belief.
We cannot control the posters and what they believe... Unfortuanately you have "upset" too many brother Balkanians that they feel for us and support us. That has to say something about your outrageoous demands... my friend. You have to take it because we speak the truth. All of Balkans are pointing their fingers at you... ARe they all wrong? Or they do not understand history right? No, it is you who should back down and accept what you have... You have a country out of nothing at all... Out of TIto's province... You are slavs....Your view is a slanted truth...

This issue, however, has been going on these 17 years, indeed, and animosity between the Greeks and Macedonians is nothing new. We will not succeed to convince one or the other now.

There would not have been animocity and there was none before you put forth your agenda of taking over an identity you do not deserve. I am glad you realize the irony of your position... 17 years of a nation...Others have tried to get their lands back for centuries and can not... While you demand a land and a name you never had....that is irony...
My purpose is to give the flip side of the coin, as I said, nothing more. Believe in the propoganda if you wish. I have more to do than a futile effort.

Your purpose is to gain Pseudo-Macedonian sympathizers and spread your propaganda...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I can bring more evidence about the "slanted" reports... like the one from Spain... Look deeper it does not say "macedonians" of your time... but older Greek Macedonians... But in any case you flip flop ... once you say you do not claim ascestry and then you do... make up your mind... or better yet.. whatever you say you are neither Macedonian nor Greek....because there is only Greek Macedonians... I can bring forth evidence that your other source is slanted too but would not want to humiliate you further...

HLA genes in Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks.

Arnaiz-Villena A, Dimitroski K, Pacho A, Moscoso J, Gómez-Casado E, Silvera-Redondo C, Varela P, Blagoevska M, Zdravkovska V, Martínez-Laso J.

Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, H. 12 de Octubre, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain. aarnaiz@eucmax.sim.ucm.es

HLA alleles have been determined in individuals from the Republic of Macedonia by DNA typing and sequencing. HLA-A, -B, -DR, -DQ allele frequencies and extended haplotypes have been for the first time determined and the results compared to those of other Mediterraneans, particularly with their neighbouring Greeks. Genetic distances, neighbor-joining dendrograms and correspondence analysis have been performed. The following conclusions have been reached: 1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum, like Iberians (including Basques), North Africans, Italians, French, Cretans, Jews, Lebanese, Turks (Anatolians), Armenians and Iranians, 2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum, 3) Greeks are found to have a substantial relatedness to sub-Saharan (Ethiopian) people, which separate them from other Mediterranean groups. Both Greeks and Ethiopians share quasi-specific DRB1 alleles, such as *0305, *0307, *0411, *0413, *0416, *0417, *0420, *1110, *1112, *1304 and *1310. Genetic distances are closer between Greeks and Ethiopian/sub-Saharan groups than to any other Mediterranean group and finally Greeks cluster with Ethiopians/sub-Saharans in both neighbour joining dendrograms and correspondence analyses. The time period when these relationships might have occurred was ancient but uncertain and might be related to the displacement of Egyptian-Ethiopian people living in pharaonic Egypt.

BTW I was not refering to your American friends ... but to your co-patriots in FYROM.

Just for the record. You are having dual citizenship that is your business...

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There was distruction of Greek property in FYROM and attacks at our Embacy there... Terrorist activity was ramprant .... on cars... etc... There are photos who do show the opposite...Now that is hard evidence... What do you have? Nothing because we do not go around harassing people's property and endanger their lives....

A Macedonian Pope living in Greece
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/689/46/

Drivers
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1330/45/

While not the Macedonian Embassy, there was an attack on the US embassy in Athens last year.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Terrorism/story?id=2790325&page=1
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKL1241738620070112

Blessings.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

Each side has its modern and ancient scholars, evidence, and research:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org

on Greek propoganda:

http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html

There is too much to consider this a slanted history or an unplausable interpretation. Neither side will convince the other, but the research goes on. In as much as there are debates on Biblical writings, thus there are historical as well. Some historians agree, and I even saw on this forum, there are arguements on both sides to consider and many have no final opinion.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Macedonians were cut off from the cultural developments of southern Greece during the historical period. [Greece: Between Legend and History--Maria Mavromataki, 2001]

Quoting out of context ought to do the job for ya...;)... And further more what does this prove?

With each historical quote comes another which answers a different perspective. We can go on and on with various quotes and historical writings in favor of the Greek perspective, and those of the Macedonians. It is a worthy thesis of a history student finding whatever evience he can to prove his work. You no doubt will have counters to all these quotes I will offer below, and it can be an unending cycle like the name issue has gone on for these 17 years. I think Macedonia and Greece are ready to get it solved. The friction between the two nations is evident in these posts.

Yeah what are 17 years opposite to eons...you said it right? what to prove? The friction is not the ONLY evident here but also the TRUTH...too...;)

The continuing barrage of Greece, Bulgaria, and Serbia on Macedonia is nothing new, since the land was split between the 3 countries nearly 100 years ago.
Do we NEED to split it further? why? so that we can become weaker economically?

Your claim, though, of a conspiracy, now, by the Bush administration, 6 months before he will step down and Turkey to attack Greece over this issue??
What conspiracy you are the ones who started this whole thing... It could have been solved without any intervation from anyone... You are the ones who brought in the US into this and the UN...for support...
THAT is the kind of bullish nonsense gossip that drives the unending issue on and on. Bring on the evidence!

It is not gossip it is reality. You lobbied the US and got away with a name you do not deserve to have... The evidence is all here...

Greece is Macedonia. So is the Republic of Macedonia. They both had an undeniable and great history. The territory has been gone through again and again by so many empires and peoples. I have a grandma who lives close to me, and says she has lived in 5 different countries: Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Yugoslavia, and R. Macedonia. She has never moved her house...But, she has ALWAYS called herself Macedonian.

So you say... You have not proof ....Historians from this century or 'slanted information" taken out of their context... that is evidence??

Your granda is a "transplant" of the area... That does not mean she is Greek. She is slavo-macedonian since she is a "habitant" of that province. She is not Greek by no means. The name Macedonia does qualify someone who is Greek period. And that is evidence for stealing someone's identity?

People who have lived here have always thought of themselves by the land they live, no matter who the ruling party is or was. It is not an identity crisis, it is not a crime. It is a final and needed chance to claim who they have always been, despite the last 100 years of political propoganda on all sides to distort and twist this identity into something unknown.
Lots of minorities live in different places according to your logic... they should call them selves that.. the name of that peticular province they identify with.. .i.e. Mexicans who lived in New York should go back and re-name their country as New York... since that specific minority of Mexicans lived in New York... this is ridiculous see how "seriourly mess-up" is your logic... or the Turks in Thrace go back to Turkey and change their name to Trace?

I knew you were going to use Demosthenes... the displeased Athenian Congersman with the agenda against the Athenians...how lovely and conveniet indeed...

You defenately have to see that different sqabbles among Greece would allow for "boo-boos" like these... Like said before the city states were independent . Repeating my self is no problem at all for me... Each one had different names yet they were all Greece...They called each other names so what? Like politicians in our days do not accuse each other of being lesser than patriotic? or "clean blood" patriot??

Not according to the Greek statesmen at the time:

Demosthenes, the great Greek statesman and orator, spoke of Philip II as:"... not only no Greek, nor related to the Greeks, but not even a barbarian from any place that can be named with honors, but a pestilent knave from Macedonia, whence it was never yet possible to buy a decent slave." [Third Philippic, 31]
The Macedonian "barbarian" defeated Greece at the battle of Chaeronea in August 338 BC and appointed himself "Commander of the Greeks".

The question of the use of the ancient Macedonian language was raised by Alexander himself during the trial of Philotas, one of his generals accused of treason. This is what Alexander has said to Philotas:
"The Macedonians are about to pass judgement upon you; I wish to know weather you will use their native tongue in addressing them." Philotas replied: "Besides the Macedonians there are many present who, I think, will more easily understand what I shell say if I use the same language which you have employed." Than said the king: "Do you not see how Philotas loathes even the language of his fatherland? For he alone disdains to learn it. But let him by all means speak in whatever way he desires, provided that you remember that he holds out customs in as much abhorrence as our language" (Curtius).
--Quintus Curtius Rufus
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roman Historian[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The History of Alexander - Penguin Classics[/FONT]

Want more evidence?? The local museum here has coins, tablets, and other writings from the period whose written language was definately NOT ancient Greek unearthed from the area near where I live. I'll take pictures and upload them. I do not argue that the Greek language was commonly used among the Macedonians. For barter with other city states, they used Greek money, no doubt. For local use, local talk, Macedonian was a language all its own.

The language was a dialect like the Athenian and the Corinthian and so forth. Languages differ from place to place.. The toponymia is where we see that they are the same... Evidence again esp. historical very important here... Coins? All greek city states had their own that is a moot point too...

However, we do not know the names that were given to many places and people because we have no written records. The contemporary records we have come from Greek writers, or others writing in the Greek language, for Greek-speaking readers. It would be surprising if they did not use Greek names. [Macedonia and Greece by John Shea 1997 ]

We do kknow maybe you do not but the toponimia are obviously Greek and no doubt about it... I do not see the point. Greeks lived there they were Macedonian Greeks and they wrote about it.. So what is your point?

The Greeks constantly attacked the Macedonians because they did not feel a sense of kinsmenship with them.

Despite all, the Greeks never stopped fighting the Macedonians. While Alexander was conquering Persia with his 25-30,000 Macedonians, more then 50,000 Greeks actually fought on the side of the Persians against the Macedonians (Curtius).

The Greeks nevertheless continued raising rebellion after rebellion against the Macedonians to free Greece from the foreign occupation. All successors of Alexander the Great fought them, and the Macedonian king Antigonus II Gonatas fought three Greek uprising who unified against the "barbarous Macedonians" (Diodorus, Plutarch, Justin).

You are quoting those writers for what ? Again Macedonian Greeks were as Greek as the next guy... You are taking them out of context while Ariadni gave you a full text for those who can read they can also think...ya know.

My first question to you is why someone who lives in an area with no name... from an ancsestory who is -lets say -A to adopt another identity B he does not deserve, saying at the same time that he is not A identity neither a B... This does not make any sense.. You brought forth that hypothesis...

-also you cannot prove anscestory
-cannot prove historicity either historically
-cannot prove it archeologically

Also what would the purpose of a name like even "north macedonia" mean to you?
How this makes you proud as people? Knowing that Alexander the Great is from our Province? How is this logical? To belong to a country where your "hero" lived in another? Imagine having Washington as my forefather and I live in Brazil..calling it Washingtona? . Nice... lol... How is this not an agenda? How is this not planning ahead to "free" the rest of Macedonia and claim it as your land?? There are many unanswered questions that remain with this issue... and it is not that Greeks are being unreasonable rather the opposite.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Macedonia has been a greek province for 3000 years. Claiming Macedonians were not greek or that thry did not worship greek deities because they fought other greeks in war is silly. Greeks always fought other city-states, all had their own army and were independant mini-states.. Fyrom is a new invention originally called Scopi by the romans and then Vardar by the slavs. Those claiming to be Fyromians are of bulgarian extraction, speak a modern bulgarian dialect and are simply ashamed of their slavic heritage. FYROM is nothing more than a landlocked third world nation with no future, thus they try to create some significance for themselves by stealing another nations identity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for being unbiased for once... Yes, we cannot be cut and dry with both sides nevertheless though FYROM is the agressor here... People are not the problem... I wish the ones who visit FYROM can say the same . The fanaticism there is exuberating and it is your Government that instigates it... Do you know that the Greek Govn't "forbit" any rallies for the Skopian matter? No party except one supported them....How is this for being "tolerant"...

You're welcome. I'm sorry you think that people who visit here think negatively about the people. They are kind and hospitable. All are welcome for coffee and everyone offers you what little they have. As wonderful as my trip to Greece was, I was the subject of theft while in Thessaloniki. The first day of all. As for tolerance, Macedonia has the only municipality in Europe devoted to the Roma-gypsies. In other countries they are outcast and humiliated. I think that shows tolerence for multi-ethnicity, and while rallies are prone here, random acts of humiliation and personal attack in Greece don't help the matter either.

We have given aid... that should show where our priorities are.. We have given aid to Turkey with their earthquakes and the Tsunami in Asia... Whoever is hurting we are all for it... And we are poor ...the poorest in Europe after Portugal ...just for the record...here.Maybe if your government comes off its high horse we could talk about the real issues then we could talk about being "good neighbours"....
And we have given aid, both in soldiers, manpower, and resources--many times power is transfered into Greece from here so your citizens can stay cool during the summer. I lived near that power plant close to the border. Greeks have made businesses here. That helps both sides, but I don't hear of any from here being welcome to work in Greece. As I said, concessions made on both sides. Here, concessions have been made by honoring the innerim accord. All that is left is to deal with the name issue, and the people are tired of the issue after nearly a generation. That is why the rallies are taking placeWhat propaganda do you have to fear about some takeover of your entire province? We're not the big, it's not open for discussion anymore.

[
We cannot control the posters and what they believe... Unfortuanately you have "upset" too many brother Balkanians that they feel for us and support us. That has to say something about your outrageoous demands... my friend. You have to take it because we speak the truth. All of Balkans are pointing their fingers at you... ARe they all wrong? Or they do not understand history right? No, it is you who should back down and accept what you have... You have a country out of nothing at all... Out of TIto's province... You are slavs....Your view is a slanted truth...

Tito was communist and interested in spreading, along with Russia, the "strictly slav" theory to forward thier communism adjenda and wipe out former ties with history. That is why others like Gligorov, former president, joined the bandwagon. As a communist, he wasn't celebrating Macedonia's independance, he was mourning the loss of Yugoslavia. Between the Roman and Slavic era, people just didn't magically disappear and reappear here The reason the entire Balkans have an issue with this country is because the land was torn and split between 3 countries, and before the Balkan Wars, Macedonia was under control of other empires--Tito's province was the last one. That's all. The land was always Macedonia. The people were always Macedonian. The same is true in Greece. You cannot define yourselves by one point in history nor point the finger here and say we can only define ourselves as slavs. The modern language has influences from Turkish, Latin, Greek, and others as well. Modern Greece has influence from its previous occupations. In fact, it wasn't until 1976 Dhimotiki was considered the official language in Greece. Macedonian was made official here after WWII. Bulgarian is a close langauage to Macedonian just like Croatian and Serbian. Both have distinctions, and both have rights to thier name.

[
There would not have been animocity and there was none before you put forth your agenda of taking over an identity you do not deserve. I am glad you realize the irony of your position... 17 years of a nation...Others have tried to get their lands back for centuries and can not... While you demand a land and a name you never had....that is irony...

Again, you seek a false and unfounded motive. The issue of land was solved through the innerim accord and our constitution. Your government made sure of that and then violated it. What the response will be from here, has yet to be determined. We did not take over an identity, simply kept the one we always had. I'm not scared of any "evidence" you will try and throw at others to serve your purpose, when, like you said, there wasn't a problem before you instigated and placed an embargo. A much larger Europe and the world have pointed the finger at YOU for recent acts of creating instability in the Balkans.

Your purpose is to gain Pseudo-Macedonian sympathizers and spread your propaganda...

No, my purpose is as I said, to give the other side of the coin. I think it's obvious I am the only one in this thread with that view point, but I will give an earfull to those who would try and deface a national identity and ethnicity. Especially when, at one time, the identity of "Slavic Macedonians" were reconized by Greece, people forced to leave for who they are--and are still treated as second class citizens. We will remain strong, more recently, many Macedonians died defending the Ottoman Macedonia, Yugoslavian Macedonia, and now, the Republic of Macedonia. Freedom and a right to our identity will not be compromised now just because the people here are called names like fyromians or skopijans. Would you like northern Greece be called Former Ottoman Provice of Macedonia? FOPOM?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Macedonia has been a greek province for 3000 years. Claiming Macedonians were not greek or that thry did not worship greek deities because they fought other greeks in war is silly. Greeks always fought other city-states, all had their own army and were independant mini-states.. Fyrom is a new invention originally called Scopi by the romans and then Vardar by the slavs. Those claiming to be Fyromians are of bulgarian extraction, speak a modern bulgarian dialect and are simply ashamed of their slavic heritage. FYROM is nothing more than a landlocked third world nation with no future, thus they try to create some significance for themselves by stealing another nations identity.

And they say Macedonians are nationalist...This nonsense is what keeps the issue at hand a stand still. The Romans called this territory Macedonia, and more maps than you can shake a stick at prove that. I was in Rome and saw many of them, iron clad on the brick walls of ancient buildings.

Macedonia is a beautiful upcoming country:

www.exploringmacedonia.com

And many Macedonians were killed by Bulgarians during WWII. They have no claim on the people anymore, and the language here has been official longer than Greek.

Sorry you have such an ignorant view.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A Macedonian Pope living in Greece
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/689/46/

Drivers
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1330/45/

While not the Macedonian Embassy, there was an attack on the US embassy in Athens last year.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Terrorism/story?id=2790325&page=1
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKL1241738620070112

Blessings.

cannot find anything in the Greek news or itnernational news.. that is your own websites.. If it is CNN or BBC I will grant it as valid..

Also about the American Embassy that is always the case on Novermber 17th... the extremists communists are the ones resposnible for those attacks nothing new... And they are not "attacks" rather some how very vocal rallies... Greeks are known to be strong in voicing their opinions... Why the Skopians are less...are not ... I like how you flip flop according to the Point you try to make... Earlier you admit that both nations are at odds and the violence is shared now you are pointing the finger again...

I can post just as much evidence for the opposite if that would help you...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, my purpose is as I said, to give the other side of the coin. I think it's obvious I am the only one in this thread with that view point, but I will give an earfull to those who would try and deface a national identity and ethnicity. Especially when, at one time, the identity of "Slavic Macedonians" were reconized by Greece, people forced to leave for who they are--and are still treated as second class citizens. We will remain strong, more recently, many Macedonians died defending the Ottoman Macedonia, Yugoslavian Macedonia, and now, the Republic of Macedonia. Freedom and a right to our identity will not be compromised now just because the people here are called names like fyromians or skopijans. Would you like northern Greece be called Former Ottoman Provice of Macedonia? FOPOM?

This is a straw man you are making ... You have no right to call yourselves Macedonias as you were never Macedonians... We were and are Greeks living in Greece. Ottomans came as conquerors afterwards... How come we have to take their name? Whole Greece was under the Ottomans.. That does not mean we should want to change our name...

Slavic-Macedonians as a minority is not misstreated in Greece. Actually I just show a footage of how they were welcomed in a recent forum for talks... They claim outrageous numbers... while they are a small minority smaller than the Pomacks... in Thrace. Some of them DO NOT identify with slavic-macedonians anymore...and we will not "force" them to do so. Do you recognize the Greek-Macedonians of FYROM? you do not even care... but they exist in your midst...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And many Macedonians were killed by Bulgarians during WWII. They have no claim on the people anymore,

Blessings.

no claim on the people Anymore, huh???
No one denies that borders have changed, but Macedonians in the ancient times were those greeks residing there. Go read your bible, it mentions this.

It was the Roman Empire that coined the phrase Scopi for that area. Its ashame that slavs who arrived in that area in 7th century A.D. find their heritage so worthless that they have to adopt a new one. Atleast Mother Theresa never considered herself macedonian but albanian, She was born in Fyrom but never recognized it. Why is that?

We can go to the Archgeological Museum of Chios where there are a number of flat stones from Alexander the Great who inscribed messages upon them to the people of Chios, further attestation that he was a hellene.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Quoting out of context ought to do the job for ya...;)... And further more what does this prove?

Exactly what it says, that Macedonia was cut off culturally from southern Greece. Macedonians were, for a long time, forbidden to participate in the Olympics. I quoted source on that too. It was not out of context, and was concise enough to make the point that the Macedonians were not considered "true Greeks".

Yeah what are 17 years opposite to eons...you said it right? what to prove? The friction is not the ONLY evident here but also the TRUTH...too...;)

I'm sorry, but even Greece was not a Parliamentary Democracy until 1975. While I will grant that history of Greece and Macedonia is vast, you cannot compare the dates of the current form of government and to the history as a whole. If we're going there, then Greece only has 33 years of history, NOT eons.

Do we NEED to split it further? why? so that we can become weaker economically?

It would be nice if we were together, in a sense, the EU or other economic cooporation. We aren't the ones preventing that.

What conspiracy you are the ones who started this whole thing... It could have been solved without any intervation from anyone... You are the ones who brought in the US into this and the UN...for support...

I beg to differ. I don't blame the former president Gligorov for trying to preserve the foundation the country is based on. At the time of the talks, Greece withdrew, thwarted its UN power with the embargo, refusal to let Macedonia ascend into other international organizations with the VETO. THAT's what got the US and UN involved. We work with the UN and the US, among other things to send soldiers to Iraq--36 of which have returned today and safe I'm happy to say. I for one am happy for their help and that we can work together.

It is not gossip it is reality. You lobbied the US and got away with a name you do not deserve to have... The evidence is all here...

So you say... You have not proof ....Historians from this century or 'slanted information" taken out of their context... that is evidence??

Your granda is a "transplant" of the area... That does not mean she is Greek. She is slavo-macedonian since she is a "habitant" of that province. She is not Greek by no means. The name Macedonia does qualify someone who is Greek period. And that is evidence for stealing someone's identity?

Lots of minorities live in different places according to your logic... they should call them selves that.. the name of that peticular province they identify with.. .i.e. Mexicans who lived in New York should go back and re-name their country as New York... since that specific minority of Mexicans lived in New York... this is ridiculous see how "seriourly mess-up" is your logic... or the Turks in Thrace go back to Turkey and change their name to Trace?

Our logic differs in that you only refer to Greeks as Macedonians, and I refer to the people who have constantly lived here by that group; it is a main point in the whole issue and you are writing to your logic and I to mine. People have ALWAYS occupied the territory of Macedonia. It is not a simple matter of geography. They didn't just magically appear with the slavics. They blended, developed, added to their own culture, and the language developed along with it. That is why someone living here has a right to be called Macedonian. That is why the Grandma is not incorrect by stating she is as well. There are many historical references to Macedonians, that are NOT Greek:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/Documents.html

But, you will say this is biased, propoganda, slanted--despite these samples come from every point of history. We can go back and forth until we are blue in the face for this. The fact that we do have help--ie; The US, UN, should say something about you trying to use powers to bully a developing nation with a rich history, culture, and people. Every person who has lived and died for their Macedonia has a right to their identity.

I knew you were going to use Demosthenes... the displeased Athenian Congersman with the agenda against the Athenians...how lovely and conveniet indeed...

You defenately have to see that different sqabbles among Greece would allow for "boo-boos" like these... Like said before the city states were independent . Repeating my self is no problem at all for me... Each one had different names yet they were all Greece...They called each other names so what? Like politicians in our days do not accuse each other of being lesser than patriotic? or "clean blood" patriot??

It was so much more than that with Demosthenes. He not only called Phillip a barbarian-ie: Non-greek, he said "not only no Greek, nor related to the Greeks" . I think it's very clear that Demosthenes considered Philip and his people Non-Greeks, not simply barbarians. And, there is so much more to show that Demosthenes DEFINATELY conisidered the Macedonians non-Greeks. I didn't choose that quote for one simple insult, here's about 40 more:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/demosthenes.html

The language was a dialect like the Athenian and the Corinthian and so forth. Languages differ from place to place.. The toponymia is where we see that they are the same... Evidence again esp. historical very important here... Coins? All greek city states had their own that is a moot point too..

So, the quote from Alexander regarding the address to his army wasn't clear enough huh? Even so, That was Alexander himself talking about "our way of life" and "our language" "Macedonians are going to judge your case" There is no need for any explanation.

Here are a few quotes from Eugene Borza, who is on your "80 authors of Macedonia is Greek website"

[2] "The lesson is clear: the use of the Greek language as a form of written expression does not by itself identify the ethnicity of a culture". ("In the Shadow of Olympus -The Emergence of Macedon", p. 94.)
"As the Macedonians settled the region following the expulsion of existing peoples, they probably introduced their own customs and language(s); there is no evidence that they adapted any existing language, even though they were now in contact with neighboring populations who spoke a variety of Greek and non-Greek tongues."
"Hammond's firm conclusion that the Macedonian spoke a distinctive dialect of Aeolic Greek is unconvincing to me, resting as it does on an interpretation of a bit of myth quoted by Hellanicus, who made Aeolus the father of the legendary progenitor Macedon". ("In the Shadow of Olympus" p.92.)
"The handful of surviving genuine Macedonian words - not loan words from a Greek - do not show the changes expected from a Greek dialect. And even had they changed at some point it is unlikely that they would have reverted to their original form". ("In the Shadow of Olympus" p.93.)
"As a question of method: why would an area three hundred miles north of Athens - not colonized by Athens - used an Attic dialect, unless it were imported? That is, the Attic dialect could hardly be native, and its use is likely part of the process of Hellenization. To put the question differently: if the native language of the Macedonians is Greek, what is its Macedonian dialect?"

We do know maybe you do not but the toponimia are obviously Greek and no doubt about it... I do not see the point. Greeks lived there they were Macedonian Greeks and they wrote about it.. So what is your point?

There is written evidence to show that Macedonians had a language very different from Greek. It is not enough to construct the entire language, but it shows that more than Greek was written and spoken by the Macedonians. That is what John Shay meant when he said there aren't many written records. Some of those samples are at the local museum here, and I will stop by when I can.

You are quoting those writers for what ? Again Macedonian Greeks were as Greek as the next guy... You are taking them out of context while Ariadni gave you a full text for those who can read they can also think...ya know.

My first question to you is why someone who lives in an area with no name...

from an ancsestory who is -lets say -A to adopt another identity B he does not deserve, saying at the same time that he is not A identity neither a B... This does not make any sense.. You brought forth that hypothesis...

-also you cannot prove anscestory
-cannot prove historicity either historically-.
-cannot prove it archeologically-

We have a name, and it's not my problem if you don't like it or recognize it. Many simply refer to this country as Macedonia. On every atlas (like National Geographic), encyclopedia (like Britanika), newspaper (like New York Times), and TV media (like CNN), Macedonia is referred simply as Macedonia. Even the US Secretary of State Warren Christopher, and Defense Secretary William Perry, speak of Macedonians and refer to Macedonia as Macedonia. Matthew Nimitz, the US mediator in the Greek - Macedonian talks has said that "the country has an Constitutional name - Republic of Macedonia" and that besides the opposing of Greece, Macedonia was admitted at UN under the reference "former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia", but that is "only a reference and not name".

Diplomats will work out the solution in good time. I think the current pressure will finally yield a solution. We have anscestory, history, and archeology, but not according the theory you subscribe to. What you will call reputable historians propaganda is also not my problem.

Also what would the purpose of a name like even "north macedonia" mean to you?
How this makes you proud as people? Knowing that Alexander the Great is from our Province? How is this logical? To belong to a country where your "hero" lived in another? Imagine having Washington as my forefather and I live in Brazil..calling it Washingtona? . Nice... lol... How is this not an agenda? How is this not planning ahead to "free" the rest of Macedonia and claim it as your land?? There are many unanswered questions that remain with this issue... and it is not that Greeks are being unreasonable rather the opposite.

It would be a solution, a chance to move on, to be in NATO and the EU, and continue progressing. Actually, many people today think of Goce Delcev as the modern liberator of Macedonia. He was martyred in a stand against the Ottoman Empire in Krusevo:

http://www.mymacedonia.net/history/goce.htm

And it is heros like him that we fight to preserve our identity.

You keep pointing the finger at a hidden "agenda" based on territorial claims when that is no longer possible. I think the thing that probably scares Greeks the most in the Macedonian Constitution is this:

• "The Republic of Macedonia cares for the statue and rights of those persons belonging to the Macedonian people in neighboring countries, as well as Macedonian ex-parties, assists their cultural development and promotes links with them."
Athens sees Article 49 to be a direct threat for the security of Greece because Macedonia cares for the people in Greece who consider themselves Macedonians. How can a country of two million be a danger to Greece's ten million? Furthermore, Greece has also similar article in her Constitution, as any other country in the world, to care for her minorities in the neighboring countries. Should Albania, Bulgaria, and Turkey, urge the world not to recognize Greece because of her Constitution to care for her minorities in these neighboring countries? It is not an agenda to reclaim land, it is an ingrain right and common practice all over the world. I will answer to your "treatment" of the ethnic minority in Macedonia in anther post.​

How it is possible that the Western countries have chosen to follow "democratic" Greece where lies prevail over the truth? The European Court found the Greek embargo illegal and put Greece on trial, but did nothing to stop it while it was so harmful to the Macedonian economy. The Innerim accord stated that Greece will not prevent Macedonia from becoming a member of other international organizations, but the Veto has been a violation of that agreement. How does this not have some political favor behind it or some kind of agenda? Money? Influence? Call this illegal activity fair and democratic?​

Blessings.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
OnceDust,

You said you cam here to give the other side of the story. Thank you, you have done so, and you have done an admiral job. Your job here is complete.

Please do feel free to come back and participate in more uplifting and edifying threads, though.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
no claim on the people Anymore, huh???
No one denies that borders have changed, but Macedonians in the ancient times were those greeks residing there. Go read your bible, it mentions this.

Already addressed this earlier in the thread. Interpretation is a matter of understanding, and the Bible is not the only source. It is a rather small part of a bigger historical picture, from that standpoint.

It was the Roman Empire that coined the phrase Scopi for that area. Its ashame that slavs who arrived in that area in 7th century A.D. find their heritage so worthless that they have to adopt a new one. Atleast Mother Theresa never considered herself macedonian but albanian, She was born in Fyrom but never recognized it. Why is that?

There was a Roman city called Skupi. I have no clue where you are getting the name Scopi. I can't find it in any search, and every map of the Roman empire points to Macedonia. As for Mother Theresa:

During her last visit to Skopje in 1980 she was often asked if she is Albanian, Macedonian, Vlachk, Serb or some other nationality. She answered typically of her lifestyle - "I feel as a citizen of Skopje, my born city, but I belonged to the world".

http://www.mymacedonia.net/links/tereza.htm

Maybe there's a lesson there.

We can go to the Archgeological Museum of Chios where there are a number of flat stones from Alexander the Great who inscribed messages upon them to the people of Chios, further attestation that he was a hellene.

Why, because he wrote in Greek? It was the common language much like English is today. It would have been foolish for him to use his native Macedonian to with the Greek world and communicate with them. It would have been even harder considering the other civilizations that may be familiar with Greek already with his occupation of Greece, Egypt, and Asia.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
This is a straw man you are making ... You have no right to call yourselves Macedonias as you were never Macedonians... We were and are Greeks living in Greece. Ottomans came as conquerors afterwards... How come we have to take their name? Whole Greece was under the Ottomans.. That does not mean we should want to change our name...

Slavic-Macedonians as a minority is not misstreated in Greece. Actually I just show a footage of how they were welcomed in a recent forum for talks... They claim outrageous numbers... while they are a small minority smaller than the Pomacks... in Thrace. Some of them DO NOT identify with slavic-macedonians anymore...and we will not "force" them to do so. Do you recognize the Greek-Macedonians of FYROM? you do not even care... but they exist in your midst...

How can you NOT know the number of ethnic minorities in your own country? Don't you take census data? And, as for the treatment of what you refer to as the "Macedonian Slavs", why was there report--80 pages of it on their mis-treatment by the Helsinki Watch in 1994?

http://www.hrw.org/reports/pdfs/g/greece/greece945.pdf

They came to the following conclusion:

• "Although ethnic Macedonians in northern Greece make up large minority with their own language and culture, their internationally recognized human rights and even their existence are vigorously denied by the Greek government. Free expression is restricted; several Macedonians have been persecuted and convicted for their peaceful expression of their views. Moreover, ethnic Macedonians are discriminated against by the government's failure to permit the teaching of the Macedonian language. And ethnic Macedonians, particularly rights activists, are harassed by the government - followed and threatened by the security forces - and subjected to economic and social pressure resulting from this harassment. All of these actions have led to a marked climate of fear in which a large number of ethnic Macedonians are reluctant to assert their Macedonian identity or to express their views openly. Ultimately, the government is pursuing every avenue to deny the Macedonians of Greece their ethnic identity."
I am yet to see proof that will change...Including this thread...The attrocities of the Greek government on the Macedonian minority are astounding. I have spoke with many who, with difficulty, visit family in Northern Greece and I hear the same. I'm sorry for you on the other side of the pond, because it's a bit different for those who are here. Help Macedonia with bribe and "support" while continuing to block stability in the region?? That's just sad.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.