Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2008
✟7,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Of course I have hundreds of sources (modern and ancient) that reveal the lies of the fyromian propaganda against Greece, who is behind, who supports them and how they collaborated even with Hitler, hoping that he will help them claim Northern Greece and I will post in case this propaganda from fyromians continue, and I will expose them and embarass them beyond any doubt, by revealing their invasion, rasist and hostile, ultranationalist, and imperialistc ambitions that have against Greece by claiming the name and heritage of Northern Greece, and by being heretics that no Orthodox Church recognises.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People, they desperately need some identity, that's why they are doing it. That land didn't exist as independent from a period after the death of King Vukasin (died in 1371 - battle of Maritza) to the post WWII. King Vukasin was a Serb, prior to him Emperor Dusan made Skopje the Capital of Serb Empire. Before that, the Bulgarians ruled that land. After that, the Turks. Post Balkan Wars the land was again part of monolithic Kingdom of Serbia. After WWI, it is part of Serbia, together with Montenegro, Bosnia and what is still Serbia today (hence all this territory had one name - Serbia). Even worse for them, the Serbia entered the federation called Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Not only they had no international recognition, but the Kingdom they were part of, also became just a part of a larger entity, thus somewhat loosing its identity. Post WWII, communist leader Tito didn't want such large Serbia, so he broke once monolithic Serbia into four republics - Montenegro, Bosnia, Macedonia and what remained continued to be called Serbia additionally sub-divided by creating two autonomous regions (Kosovo and Metohia and Vojvodina). With Macedonia he had additional agenda, besides weakening Serbia - he wanted Thessaloníki and needed some excuse for this claim. They now have no idea what to grasp and say "that's who we are". Since they ware named Macedonia, the easiest way is to be Macedonians. Genetically though, they are Slavs. Linguistically their language is Slavic. Some years ago we were a step away from granting them authocephality, but they demanded the recognition as Macedonian Orthodox Church. We couldn't do that without conflicting with the Greeks, and wanted to give them, firstly autonomous, Archbisopric of Ochrid, later to become authocephal under the same name. They agreed at first and signed, but later changed their mind and demanded the "Macedonian Orthodox Church" as the name. Bishop Jovan, who they now toss into jail whenever he sneezes, was one of the signers. After the rest changed their mind, he wanted to remain true to his words and now he is Archbishop of Ochrid - heavily persecuted for this "crime".

God helps

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now, if this had something to do with the Faith then I would understand it being posted here in the main forum. But it really doesn't in the end. I guess the only way it does is that I know in my city it is just a given that the greeks don't like the macedonians and vice-versa and all of this squabbling only creates tension between the parishes when really we should be putting aside all earthly things when we go to Church. But it's difficult to do that when concelebration here is a bigger deal that it should be... thanks in great part to this nationalistic feud. Thankfully after three generations or more of people being born here, many are forgetting why the montagues don't like the capulets and the old scars are being healed.
With all due respect Xry, the so called 'Macedonian' Orthodox Churches play a large part in pushing the nationalistic agenda of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. For example, FYROM was forced to change the flag the newly independent country created for itself because it was proved that the star of Vergina was a symbol used in Greece and belonging to Greece, yet if you visit any of their churches in the diaspora, be it Australia, Canada, the USA or the UK and you will see that very same flag holding pride of place in their halls. They are unfortunately a people raised on propaganda for over three generations and they know nothing else. They are also very vocal which Greece hasn't been in the past since once upon a time people around the world were well versed in history. These days, however, very few people concern themselves with history and I think you will agree that the American people as a whole don't even know their own short history, so they have tended to accept uncritically the version of history presented by the so called 'Macedonians'. There is no nationalistic feud going on, it is simply Greeks defending what is theirs against wholesale theft by their northern neighbor. They have not been vocal enough about it in the past and will not be making that mistake again.

John

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Nestoj for your input...:)
People, they desperately need some identity, that's why they are doing it.

Nestoj, they are doing this for more than just identity...they are doing to gain land...They are imperialistic. They do have an identity they do not care to adopt because then they should be part of Serbia (rightfully so) and Bulagaria...Correct me if I am wrong Ariadni....

That land didn't exist as independent from a period after the death of King Vukasin (died in 1371 - battle of Maritza) to the post WWII. King Vukasin was a Serb, prior to him Emperor Dusan made Skopje the Capital of Serb Empire. Before that, the Bulgarians ruled that land. After that, the Turks. Post Balkan Wars the land was again part of monolithic Kingdom of Serbia. After WWI, it is part of Serbia, together with Montenegro, Bosnia and what is still Serbia today (hence all this territory had one name - Serbia). Even worse for them, the Serbia entered the federation called Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Not only they had no international recognition, but the Kingdom they were part of, also became just a part of a larger entity, thus somewhat loosing its identity. Post WWII, communist leader Tito didn't want such large Serbia, so he broke once monolithic Serbia into four republics - Montenegro, Bosnia, Macedonia and what remained continued to be called Serbia additionally sub-divided by creating two autonomous regions (Kosovo and Metohia and Vojvodina). With Macedonia he had additional agenda, besides weakening Serbia - he wanted Thessaloníki and needed some excuse for this claim. They now have no idea what to grasp and say "that's who we are". Since they ware named Macedonia, the easiest way is to be Macedonians. Genetically though, they are Slavs. Linguistically their language is Slavic. Some years ago we were a step away from granting them authocephality, but they demanded the recognition as Macedonian Orthodox Church.

It was a TITO'
s plan true that is the time they got the name Macedonia as a province...All else are just lies. And we can bring forth evidence for their lies. or anyone can visit
this site
www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/

There got plenty there.

We couldn't do that without conflicting with the Greeks, and wanted to give them, firstly autonomous, Archbisopric of Ochrid, later to become authocephal under the same name. They agreed at first and signed, but later changed their mind and demanded the "Macedonian Orthodox Church" as the name. Bishop Jovan, who they now toss into jail whenever he sneezes, was one of the signers. After the rest changed their mind, he wanted to remain true to his words and now he is Archbishop of Ochrid - heavily persecuted for this "crime".
I know their church situation is a mess. They do not have a legitamate Church not a nice situation and I feel for them. But they have to get off their high horse and realize no one will recongnize them if they do not get their act together. Their Pseudomacedonia Orthodox Church will not be able to get recogniZed if they carry one with their mind set... Problems with the Pseudomacedonia EO churches in the USA are creating problems as their faithful have formed parishes that are "under" our GOA... here in US. That creates frictions and problems. It is to be expected since we as Hellenes will not stand for a "uncanonical" church within our faithful and our "canonical" churches. So, no matter how some toot their horn about it, things will not change unless those who claim to be "macedonians" change their name... and get their rightful name since they are nothing than Skopians.....Vardarska Banovina...that is their real name.

The Gospel talked about Greek Macedonians and that is the truth... why shall we accept less than that ?? Yes they are brothers in Christ but if those brothers are trying to steal your name and identity....what does this mean? They are wrong and faulty for doing this and no Patriarchate will recognize them if they do not give back what is rightful to their brothers.

You cannot steal and call yourself a Christian... :doh:

... WELCOME Ariadni-nefeli nice to see you here :clap::) Glad you made it !!! HOpe you stay with us here. Some of us do share concerns of what happens in the other part of the world and we are concerned when it comes to stolen identity....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I am wrong, correct me but I believe Philothei is from Greece. If that is so, it is hardly realistic or even logical to suggest that she forget about her country. Regardless of her citizenship, she is naturally going to care about the issues that affect her home. Greece will always be her home no matter how much she appreciates (or even prefers!) living in the US. It's not like your fascination and love for things German. For you, your appreciation for it was a choice that was informed (I assume) by your upbringing. But you could have, as I did, easily turned out to have no interest in German history and culture (well, not that I have NO interest, but the fact that I am 100% german by blood is in very little way reflected in my interests). So, while your lover for germany and all is wonderful and beautiful and a great testament to your "vorvatern" (right? :)), for Philothei Greek is what she is, before American anyday... no matter what her passport might say. I would suggest for her NOT to be concerned about these issues would be actually quite odd.

Again, if I am wrong, about her being greek, I stand corrected on what I said, although I will still say that even so, it is her right to have affinities for Greek and to be biased as she pleases or as her upbringing dictates.

Philothei: At the same time, while I respect your love for Greece, while you have obviously found some sympathizers here (which is to be expected) there are going to be others who don't see it like you do. To many of us here, this just isn't an important issue. Honestly, for me, the price of bread is a more important issue than this never-ending argument between Macedonia and Greece. I don't give a rat's behind who is right on the issue either. That said, it's fine and understandable (and even beautiful) that you do.

Now, if this had something to do with the Faith then I would understand it being posted here in the main forum. But it really doesn't in the end. I guess the only way it does is that I know in my city it is just a given that the greeks don't like the macedonians and vice-versa and all of this squabbling only creates tension between the parishes when really we should be putting aside all earthly things when we go to Church. But it's difficult to do that when concelebration here is a bigger deal that it should be... thanks in great part to this nationalistic feud. Thankfully after three generations or more of people being born here, many are forgetting why the montagues don't like the capulets and the old scars are being healed.

I don't expect that scar to ever be healed for you becuase, if memory serves, you truly are Greek. So your concern is understandable. But please try to understand why some of us here in the states are weary of anyone trying to bring their nationalistic POVs.

So, while I completely respect that YOU care about this issue enough to bring it to the forum, I would ask that you also respect why some of us don't care about it at all and even frustrated by it becuase of the negative and unnecessary effect it has on our parishes here in the US.

For that reason, I would like to reiterate as you or someone else here already did, that this thread be moved to the debate area because while this has nothing really to do with anyone's salvation AND since it is a contentious issue for a few reasons, at the same time it should still be Philothei's right to express her concerns and thoughts her with friends at TAW becuase it is an issue that is relevant to many Orthodox even if not to Orthodoxy itself.

Xpy

Yes I am Greek Native.
If you do not like the thread do not participate. I have not participated in the "Politics" threads as I am not interested in.

Please do not bring in new topics Stay with the topic I consider your post to be off topic...(no offense taken BTW)..You and others who feel this way can either open up another thread, or pm to me.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Nestoj for your input...:)

They do have an identity they do not care to adopt because then they should be part of Serbia (rightfully so)...
God forbid. They are Slavs...unlinked to ancient Macedonia and obviously linked to other Slavs, but we would be most happy if they could build their identity also unlinked to us or Bulgarians. Something that defines them as Slavs, which they are, but distinguishes them from other Slavs. I mean - it's not unheard of, the so called Bosniaks built their separate identity and nation on being Slavs and Muslim (being Serbs and, to some extent, Croats is conveniently not brought up). And we don't mind - we really don't see them as being part of us anymore. Something similar could be also done in this case.

God helps

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2008
✟7,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Philothei and dear friends it is very nice to be here with you.

I have already posted several evidents that not only prove that the fyromians are lying and claim a name that belongs to Greece, bt I also explained and revealed their true imperialistic motives behind the name dispute they have created. The fact that any of us here is from Greece or another country is irellevant, because evidents are evidents, and facts are facts.

Tomorrow I will also provide evidents that the fyromians are collaborating with turkey and Bush to attack Greece, I will also provide evidents that they have connections with the unholy George Soros and also that they collaborated with Nazis and the SS!

I also remind to the real Orthodox Brothers and Sisters here (I will also bring the evidents here) that the fyromians are SCHISMATIC and no Orthodox or any other Church recognise them or accept them, and they imprisoned and tormented the real Archbishop of Ochrid!

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
With each historical quote comes another which answers a different perspective. We can go on and on with various quotes and historical writings in favor of the Greek perspective, and those of the Macedonians. It is a worthy thesis of a history student finding whatever evience he can to prove his work. You no doubt will have counters to all these quotes I will offer below, and it can be an unending cycle like the name issue has gone on for these 17 years. I think Macedonia and Greece are ready to get it solved. The friction between the two nations is evident in these posts.

The continuing barrage of Greece, Bulgaria, and Serbia on Macedonia is nothing new, since the land was split between the 3 countries nearly 100 years ago. Your claim, though, of a conspiracy, now, by the Bush administration, 6 months before he will step down and Turkey to attack Greece over this issue?? THAT is the kind of bullish nonsense gossip that drives the unending issue on and on. Bring on the evidence!

Greece is Macedonia. So is the Republic of Macedonia. They both had an undeniable and great history. The territory has been gone through again and again by so many empires and peoples. I have a grandma who lives close to me, and says she has lived in 5 different countries: Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Yugoslavia, and R. Macedonia. She has never moved her house...But, she has ALWAYS called herself Macedonian.

People who have lived here have always thought of themselves by the land they live, no matter who the ruling party is or was. It is not an identity crisis, it is not a crime. It is a final and needed chance to claim who they have always been, despite the last 100 years of political propoganda on all sides to distort and twist this identity into something unknown.

However, based on your convenient quotes of one perspective of history, I offer another, much based on the ancient orators and historians themselves. They have a much different view, and who is to say they didn't know thier own time better than modern historians do:

1."The Macedonian people and their kings were of Greek stock, as their traditions and the scanty remains of their language combine to testify."
[John Bagnell Bury, "A History of Greece to the Death of Alexander the Great", 2nd ed. (1913)]

Not according to the Greek statesmen at the time:

Demosthenes, the great Greek statesman and orator, spoke of Philip II as:"... not only no Greek, nor related to the Greeks, but not even a barbarian from any place that can be named with honors, but a pestilent knave from Macedonia, whence it was never yet possible to buy a decent slave." [Third Philippic, 31]
The Macedonian "barbarian" defeated Greece at the battle of Chaeronea in August 338 BC and appointed himself "Commander of the Greeks".

2. "That the Macedonians and their kings did in fact speak a dialect of Greek and bore Greek names may be regarded nowadays as certain."
[Malcom Errington, "A History of Macedonia"]

8. "Hesiod : 'Makednos', was a son of Zeus, a grandson of Deukalion, and so a first cousin of Aeolus, Dorus, and Xuthus; in other words he considered the 'Makedones' to be an outlying branch of the Greek-speaking tribes, with a distinctive dialect of their own, 'Macedonian'."
[N.G.L.Hammond, "Oxford Classical Dictionary", 3rd ed. (1996), pp.904,905]

The question of the use of the ancient Macedonian language was raised by Alexander himself during the trial of Philotas, one of his generals accused of treason. This is what Alexander has said to Philotas:
"The Macedonians are about to pass judgement upon you; I wish to know weather you will use their native tongue in addressing them." Philotas replied: "Besides the Macedonians there are many present who, I think, will more easily understand what I shell say if I use the same language which you have employed." Than said the king: "Do you not see how Philotas loathes even the language of his fatherland? For he alone disdains to learn it. But let him by all means speak in whatever way he desires, provided that you remember that he holds out customs in as much abhorrence as our language" (Curtius).
--Quintus Curtius Rufus
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roman Historian[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The History of Alexander - Penguin Classics[/FONT]

Want more evidence?? The local museum here has coins, tablets, and other writings from the period whose written language was definately NOT ancient Greek unearthed from the area near where I live. I'll take pictures and upload them. I do not argue that the Greek language was commonly used among the Macedonians. For barter with other city states, they used Greek money, no doubt. For local use, local talk, Macedonian was a language all its own.

3. "Ancient allegations that the Macedonians were non-Greek all had their origin in Athens at the time of the struggle with Philip II."
[Malcom Errington, "A History of Macedonia"]

Macedonians were cut off from the cultural developments of southern Greece during the historical period. [Greece: Between Legend and History--Maria Mavromataki, 2001]

[On Macedonian ethnicity] So little do the Macedonians seem to have belonged to the Hellenic community at the beginning, that they did not take part in the great Games of Greece, and when the Kings of Macedon were admitted to them, it was not as Macedonians, but as Heraclids. Isocrates, in the 'Philip' praises them for not having imposed their kingship on the Hellenes, to whom the kingship is always oppressive, and for having gone among foreigners to establish it. He, therefore, did not regard the Macedonians as Greeks." [p.68] PIERRE JOUGUET Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic World

4. "What language did these Macedones speak? The name itself is Greek in root and in ethnic termination. It probably means highlanders, and it is comparable to Greek tribal names..."
[N.G.L. Hammond, "The Macedonian State" (1989)]

5. "The toponyms of the Macedonian homeland are the most significant. Nearly all of them are Greek."
[N.G.L. Hammond, "The Macedonian State" (1989)]

It is quite true that many Macedonian places and people were given Greek names. This was especially the case after the Macedonian rulers started to use a Greek dialect that came from the south (they were not using a dialect similar to that of their nearest Greek neighbors, but one borrowed from much farther away) and ostentatious features of Greek culture. However, we do not know the names that were given to many places and people because we have no written records. The contemporary records we have come from Greek writers, or others writing in the Greek language, for Greek-speaking readers. It would be surprising if they did not use Greek names. [Macedonia and Greece by John Shea 1997 ]

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
6. "And yet if we take into account the political conditions, religion and morals of the Macedonians, our conviction is strengthened that they were a Greek race and akin to the Dorians."

Philip V from Macedon responds to the Greek and Roman demands:

"But what is most outrageous of all is that they should attempt to put themselves on the same footing as the Romans and demand that the Macedonians should withdraw from the whole of Greece. To use such language is arrogant enough in the first place, but while we may endure this from the Romans, it is quite intolerable coming from the Aetolians. In any case,' he continued, 'what is this Greece which you demand that I should evacuate, and how do you define Greece? Certainly most of the Aetolians themselves are not Greeks! The countries of the Agraae, the Apodotea, and the Aphilochians cannot be regarded as Greek. So do you allow me to remain in those territories." [(Book XVIII. 5)-Polybius Greek Statesman and Historian. [c 200-118 B.C.]

From the above encounters we infer: They, the Greeks, would like to see him, King Philip V from Macedon, leave Greece and go to his own kingdom in Macedonia, and by the strongest implication, we concur that:

(a) Ancient Greeks did not regard the ancient Macedonians as their kinsmen.

(b) Ancient Macedonians did not regard the Greeks as their own people.

As with his predecessors, other ancient authors, Polybius clearly separates the ancient Macedonians from the ancient Greeks. As a matter of fact, the ethnic difference between these two people was not a matter for discussion - it was an accomplished fact.

7. "Nowadays historians generally agree that the Macedonians form part of the Greek ethnos; hence they also shared in the common religious and cultural features of the Hellenic world."
[M.Oppermann, "Oxford Classical Dictionary", 3rd ed. (1996), p.905]

The Greeks constantly attacked the Macedonians because they did not feel a sense of kinsmenship with them.

Despite all, the Greeks never stopped fighting the Macedonians. While Alexander was conquering Persia with his 25-30,000 Macedonians, more then 50,000 Greeks actually fought on the side of the Persians against the Macedonians (Curtius).

The Greeks nevertheless continued raising rebellion after rebellion against the Macedonians to free Greece from the foreign occupation. All successors of Alexander the Great fought them, and the Macedonian king Antigonus II Gonatas fought three Greek uprising who unified against the "barbarous Macedonians" (Diodorus, Plutarch, Justin).

9. "The Macedonians were located between the Thracians and the Greeks, inhabiting the fertile plains drained by the Vardar and Struma rivers. From antiquity to the present the question has been debated as to whether these early Macedonians were Greeks or barbarians. The Macedonian rulers claimed to be descendants of Heracles and therefore genuine Greeks, a claim which the orators of the Athenian assembly scoffed at and rejected. The debate has continued to the present day, enlivened by the conflicting claims of modern Balkan states to the Macedonian lands. Recent philological and archaeological research indicates that the ancient Macedonians were in fact Greeks, whose civilization had not kept up with that of the tribes which had settled further to the south. Their language closely resembled the classical Greek from which it differed no more than one English dialect from another. Various non-Greek peoples apparently had come under the rule of the Macedonian nobles and kings, but these latter definitely were Greeks in language and outlook, and invited Greek men of learning to their courts."
[L.S. Stavrianos, The Balkans since 1453, (2000), p.18]

10. "All in all, the language of the Macedones was a distinct and particular form of Greek, resistant to outside influences and conservative in pronunciation. It remained so until the fourth century when it was almost totally submerged by the flood tide of standardized Greek."
[Hammond and Griffith, "A History of Macedonia" Vol ii, 550-336 BC.]

It is quite true that Alexander took the Greek language and some aspects of Greek culture to Asia. This was a period of flowering for the Greek language, and for Greek trading influence in the world. The time of Alexander marks a period in Greek history called the Hellenic period for this very reason. However, Alexander did not take that mainstay of Greek culture, democracy, to his new Asian empire, and in time he even abandoned most of the things he had started with, turning to a new blend of Asian, Macedonian and Greek ways. It became more important to appease Asians than to appease Greeks.

The fact that Philip and Alexander used the Greek language for administration and were supposedly "Hellenistic" in orientation has more to do with political manipulation and administrative convenience than any appreciation for the Greeks. This observation is not disputed by historians. Thus the use of the Greek language does not tell us anything about the ethnic or cultural origins of the Macedonians. The English language has had a similar role in recent international history. The third largest English-speaking country in the world today (at least in population terms) is the Philippines, according to that country's own claims. Yet no one would seriously suggest that the people of the Philippines are English, or even American, by race or by culture. [Macedonia and Greece by John Shea 1997]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
After we proved that you were taken the Greek Macedonian flag of Vergina ... a historical symbol of our province Macedonia that has no historical connection to your "made" up nation...

Historical maps show that Macedonia fell within the boundries of Skopje until the split of the territory in the early 20th century. It is just as much a part of history here as it is in Greece.

Which is temporary and you can "change your mind" anytime... since the "contract" is for a limited time. Big deal really.

The constitution is not a temporary document. It defines our government, like the US constitution defines it. IF something is ammended, it is an ordeal to redo it. The Macedonian constitution states no territorial claims will be made to Greece. If that document isn't good enough for you, I pity your lack of faith in a defining part of a country and its government.

It is really a matter of principle.. We do not recognize your name and we have any "international" right not to do so. Nothing "illegal" here.

You made a good point earlier when you mentioned Mexico vs. New Mexico. Even the Greek government is not against the use of "Macedonia" in a compound name for the country. The upcoming proposal will probably be something to the effect of "North Macedonia" and that is what we are.

We have been trying to do so but were unsuccesful. Unfortunately that is not true...Wish it was...though. WE cannot do that as it is international law. So lies ...

Hardly lies...
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2008/04/greeks-block-ai.html

?? I have no idea of what are you talking about here...YOu are not part of NATO...

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1701/45/

The Macedonian border crossing once denyed a Greek convoy to Kosovo due to improper documentation and inconsistancy with the inventory and actual supplies. Border crossing were also concerned a Greek truck bearing the army insignia could be prone to attack. The border crossing was concerned for the safety of the Greek convoy, unlike Macedonian crossings into Greece, met with violence:

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1368/1/

So what does this have to do with anything they can go back and change their mind... there is no permanence until your name dispute is settled.
Already Obama is pro-Greek position....

Politicians change you know...

Here...

http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/free-speech-macedonia-forum/7586-us-senators-block-nomination-ambassador-fyrom.html

Yes, and it's quite the effort Greece is going into medling even in the US government to avoid appointing an Ambassador to Macedonia. It's a shame one of the senators, suspected Menendez who voted against the appointment, should be against this considering the US offered him freedom when his family escaped from Cuba, and now he does not want to help us do the same for other countries.

You would have done the same and even worse ...withdraw your aid ...if you would have given any.....

But we haven't done the same. Many go through the border from Greece every day. It has not been the problem on our side as it has been on Greece's. The exception was given above and I have already stated why.
We have offered to help and give aid, as we did last year with your forrest fires. You turn us away.

Our right to do so if we please...

As it is your right to hold truck drivers at border crossings with knives and death threats?

Again we do not recognize it....no big deal you would have done the same...

I'm yet to see any proof of that.

We do not bring proof we do... And from the Greek press.. I got plenty that prove the opposite as the latest meeting the gov't had with the 2,000 fyromans..who claim they are more where are they? bring them forth.. And donot bring them in from America, Canada or Australia giving them phony Macedonian identity... YOu are only about a million world wide ...Please no more phony IDs...

You mention 2,000? Why were those people not included in many census data from the 1930s to the 1980s? They may have been counted as Greek. Why now the reconition as different? Most of the other slavic Macedonians worldwide were living in Northern Greece until forced from thier homes in the 1920s.

The maps that you use for your history books claim that... and what you teach your kids ... it is not us.

I've already given several examples of Greek text books that give the R. Macedonia it's name. I'm still waiting to hear why Greece didn't have a problem with the name prior to the late 80s? Why books written prior to that, university tests, legal documents from Greece calls Macedonians the people who occupy your FYROM?

That would be a name for you that your history dictates not us.. If you feel ashamed for born bulgarian not our problem....

Bulgarians certainly didn't think the slavics in Macedonia were Bulgarian when the 10s of thousands of Jews from both here and northern Greece were marched to the concentration camps during WWII. In retrospect, thier 48,000 Bulgarian Jews were saved. There's a very nice Jewish Museum in Belgrade on this, and an entire wall devoted to the holocost from Serbis to Greece. So much killing and insurges by the Bulgarians during that time peroid. I used to live close to a monument where 12 children were slaughtered by Bulgarians during that time. And now they want to act like we're all one happy family? Neighbors, yes, brothers, no.

We do not need to change your identity because you are not Greek... It is simple you are not Greek Macedonians but SKopians... Bulgaria is your country and it is sad that you deny your ethnicity... Your co-patriots swear that you are phony too... "Classified information" about what? Greeks make speculations is it forbiten?

Specifics of the name issue were not a speculation, they were leaked to the media when it shouldn't have been. I think you'll agree if the entire facts were known of the agreement, the negotiations, there would be a lot more hostility on both sides. That's why most of the information and goings-on are kept out of the lime light and general information given only as allowed or presented by those directly involved.

I don't think there is any question that the slavic Macedonians aren't Greek.

I can give a ton of reasoning why R. Macedonia should not be considered Bulgarian--I already gave one. Another post if you please.

Yes, we did because you wanted to use it as means to recognize your name and introduce your agenda which is the imperialistic plans to overtake our province. Anything that goes against our territorial bondaries...is a threat any country would have done the same.

I live here and I don't see any of this apparent propoganda about reclaiming Greece they have been feeding you. I think there is fear that those that left Greece to go abroad in the 1920s will somehow come back and try to reclaim thier land. That threat was again, annulled by the territorial ammendment to the constitution. Case closed. Rights of those people, however, and those who remain in Greece, may be a subject of discussion.

Yeah...In your dreams.. the Province is called Macedonia ...that is not enough for you??? Our airport was called Macedonia long before.

Again the question...Why was it not a problem for Greece that the R. Macedonia was so nammed for half a century and NOW the hype and paranoia over something that is hardly a threat to you?

That is not proof to anything. They can call a city Macedonia not a whole country though.. This is a straw man... I already gave the example of Britany and Britain... case closed...

Case will be closed when the issue is solved. We will all rejoice on that day. Despite that, I think people are capbible of differentiating Macedonia in Greece and R. xxx Macedonia or whatever the solution may be.

Blessings

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
So the example with Axaia did not penetrate? Maybe Sparta will then or Thebes.. They alll had city state names nevertheless they were part of Hellenes...That has been proven by many historians before your father was born... so what is your point? NO pont at all...Can tell you that. It is not common language only but DNA has been proven to be the same. Archeological finds prove to the same point also. Your theory is as shallow as a puddle...after the rain.

DNA evidence to the contrary:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/AncientGenes.html
http://www.makedonika.org/processpaid.aspcontentid=ti.2001.pdf
http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/Y-chromosomes.html

We will never agree on the difference between Greeks and Macedonians. The bible points out differences in thier territory, as the Romans knew the differences of the people. There is so much evidence of that based on both Greek and Roman scholars. I present that in another post.

This is useless propaganda on your part and you should be more vigilant about what you present here. Quote -mines of yours that have their objective to incriminate our nation and spread rumors... The Greek Gov'nt has taken steps as needed to fight of your long term goals that are imperialistic.

What about these:

-You have employed maps of FYROM showing Greek Macedonia as part of their country
-distruction of one of our churches in Australia
-distruction of Greek property in FYROM
-sabotage against our business in FYROM

Putting footage of the ransacking of the American Embassy in Belgrade by the Serbs and call it the protest in front of the Greek embassy in Skopje is hardly proof of the level of destruction you are referring. The media always twists the truth to the propoganda it serves.

-Our nation gives you over 500,0000 euros as yearly aid.
-future plans to establish and train for you arm forces.
-FYROM exterminsts exhibiting terrorism in Greece
-defaming Greece/name calling us as facists while in reality you are doing this as a boycotage against us.
-Calling our Prime Minister Hitler...

etc. That is what I can recall...so far the list goes on...
Greece considers Macedonia Greece and as its province rightfully call it Macedonia. That does not prove it is not Greece...

I cannot say I agree with every act against one country or the other. It's a shame it has come to such indecency. I have been to Greece, and had pleasent conversations with a personal guide. My parents also enjoyed the tour.

However, I've already mentioned aid to Greece has been denied at every attempt from here, and likewise, death threats at the border, harassing of citizens, violating international airspace, lies in the media, violating the innerim accord hardly goes to help "good neighborly relations". Both sides have had thier share to the unchristain acts against eachother.

Incriminating your nation? A vast majority of the posts here monopolize one view point--almost a hate it sounds like of a good people I have the honor of living with. Why should I, living in the middle of all this, simply stand back and take it?? I simply offer the other view. I think that is the right of every person to state thier belief. This issue, however, has been going on these 17 years, indeed, and animosity between the Greeks and Macedonians is nothing new. We will not succeed to convince one or the other now.

My purpose is to give the flip side of the coin, as I said, nothing more. Believe in the propoganda if you wish. I have more to do than a futile effort.

New Mexico is part of USA ... WhY? Because there is already a country by that name... so ...just call it New Macedonia. The name Macedonia is Greek and Greeks lived there for ever... Take USA example they called it New Mexico...
Also Britain could not take the name Britain becasue French woudl not allow it...as their province is also called BRITANY

That is the reason they call it United Kingdom... Read the history it is in there....How come we have to allow it... or we are not as powerful or we do not count as the French???:confused:

The lastest name will be Northern Macedonia. Will that satisfy your ever pressing arguement for a different name???

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Historical maps show that Macedonia fell within the boundries of Skopje until the split of the territory in the early 20th century. It is just as much a part of history here as it is in Greece.

that is foolish.. those maps are your recent propaganda...or Tito's maps showing his planning to overtake our province...

The constitution is not a temporary document. It defines our government, like the US constitution defines it. IF something is ammended, it is an ordeal to redo it. The Macedonian constitution states no territorial claims will be made to Greece. If that document isn't good enough for you, I pity your lack of faith in a defining part of a country and its government.
Do not compare your constitution as a US constitution. I am not stupid they can ammend it any time.. they please.. even ammend the US constitution.. What about the war on terror of Americans loosing their privacy laws... they can suspend it any time they see it fit...

You made a good point earlier when you mentioned Mexico vs. New Mexico. Even the Greek government is not against the use of "Macedonia" in a compound name for the country. The upcoming proposal will probably be something to the effect of "North Macedonia" and that is what we are.

North Macedonia is not a good enough name for me either. It can be combined with "south macedonia" to complete the task of your imperialistic plan. Notice how threatening you sound... Why "new Macedonia" would not be an okay name for you? Because that is what you really are"new -wanabes-Macedonians" ...I do not see why this name should be a problem?

That was a blog not news article ...You must be kidding me right??

And how conviniently slanted...

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1701/45/

The Macedonian border crossing once denyed a Greek convoy to Kosovo due to improper documentation and inconsistancy with the inventory and actual supplies. Border crossing were also concerned a Greek truck bearing the army insignia could be prone to attack. The border crossing was concerned for the safety of the Greek convoy, unlike Macedonian crossings into Greece, met with violence:

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1368/1/

What about this testimony as fart as your DNA... from your own people....

17 Ιουν 2008

http://northmacedonians.blogspot.com/2008/06/one-gligorov-upsets-skopje.htmlhttp://northmacedonians.blogspot.com/2008/06/one-gligorov-upsets-skopje.html
One Gligorov upsets Skopje

A 30 year old named Gligorov became a pet aversion to the nationalists of the FYROM. The 30 year old history student ,who has no relation with the former president of the FYROM Kiro Gligorov, became known when he publicly declared himself non-Macedonian,while talking about the falsification of Greek history by the neighbours.
University student at the "Cyril and Methodius" university of Skopje ,Vasil Gligorov became known last September,when he appeared before a notary of Skopje,in order to officially record his views regarding the identity of the self-called "Macedonians" of the FYROM.
"The usurpation of the greek heritage and the expansionistic agenda of the pseudomacedonians with the forged dogma of "macedomism" as the official religion in the FYROM consists a problem for peace in the Balkans" Gligorov supported among others in his written declaration,which was commented deprecatorily by the FYROM media.
Vasil Gligorov is of Serb origin.His grandfather says that he was forced to change the suffix of his surname during the Titoic era of united Yugoslavia. So, from Gligorovic he became.. Gligorov.
"They changed the surnames of the Serbs living in the south part of Yugoslavia.The same happened with the Bulgarians and the Greeks in Monastiri.Their aim was to prove that there are only pseudomacedonian sin the area, he mentions characteristically.
At present, Vasil Gligorov is working meticulously on the history of the Slavs as well as the debunking of the "macedonian" nation.His studies have been published in various periodicals.He has also created a website about the macedonian issue as well as a videopage on the popular Youtube.
Furthermore,he expresses his opinion eponymously in various forums and blogs.
Zougla.gr contacted Vasil Gligorov through e-mail ,requesting him to comment on the FYROM leaders' policies regarding the dispute with Greece.
"The Gruevski administration continues the promotion strategy of a fictitious nation with cultural as well as political dimension.A great "macedonian" homeland that is dismembered between Greece and Bulgaria ,he stressed purportedly.

http://northmacedonians.blogspot.com/2008/06/one-gligorov-upsets-skopje.html
http://northmacedonians.blogspot.com/2008/06/one-gligorov-upsets-skopje.html

You mention 2,000? Why were those people not included in many census data from the 1930s to the 1980s? They may have been counted as Greek. Why now the reconition as different? Most of the other slavic Macedonians worldwide were living in Northern Greece until forced from thier homes in the 1920s.

Because they were not considered themselves "macedonians" but "slavo-macedonians" and some of them until nwo they do not want to have anything to do with you guys....They did not identify themselves as such... Like some of the muslims in Thrace do not recognize themselves as Turks...they say they are Hellene Citizens...how hard is that to understand??

Yes, and it's quite the effort Greece is going into medling even in the US government to avoid appointing an Ambassador to Macedonia. It's a shame one of the senators, suspected Menendez who voted against the appointment, should be against this considering the US offered him freedom when his family escaped from Cuba, and now he does not want to help us do the same for other countries.

Ha... yeah I think it is the other way around mendling with whose politics and foreign affairs... We have a lobby and you do too...so there. The Jews have a lobby too...eveyone does. BTW Israel is against your name recognition that outht to tell you something...too.

But we haven't done the same. Many go through the border from Greece every day. It has not been the problem on our side as it has been on Greece's. The exception was given above and I have already stated why.
We have offered to help and give aid, as we did last year with your forrest fires. You turn us away.

Please we do not want your money... You need it more than us... You think that by getting that name you will solve your problems? No, it is extending your country to the Aegian your true agenda...then economics will get better... are they??
Why you donot want your rightful slavic name obviously it will not get you anywhere that is why... instead you want to usurp ours...

Again the question...Why was it not a problem for Greece that the R. Macedonia was so nammed for half a century and NOW the hype and paranoia over something that is hardly a threat to you?

Again giving the wrong impressions to people... You are the ones who want to adopt a name you do not deserve... Why should not we "resist" your imperialistic plans?

AGain Brittany was a province of France and France did not allow England to use the name Britain... Eventually the "official name:" is United Kingdom... so case is closed...

I think people are capbible of differentiating Macedonia in Greece and R. xxx Macedonia or whatever the solution may be.

People will believe to whomever has the strongest propaganda and according to you ....they should listen to the "little" guy... since you all play on sympathy instead of facts and evidence... People do not know history in the US ... that is a fact and you all giving them the "slanted" one that your "alleged" scholars have produced.... Thousands of years of Greek civilization and it all comes to 20 years of your history to prove what??? That you can play better politics with the right people? FYROM is not Kosovo... you will need us someday and "fortunately" we will be there... We got a good heart... we give you aid do we? We would never withdraw that one... no matter how badly you potray us.. that is what Hellenes are made of....

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2008
✟7,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
The scopjian church is a heresy. Archbishop of Ohrid and Metropolitan of Skopje kyr kyr Jovan never accepted the lies of the fyromians and claimed the truth: That the scopjian Church is not an independent ''macedonian'' church as the scopjian nationalists tried to prove, but Serbian Church of Ohrid and Metropolitan of Skopje!

The ''democratic'' scopjians imprisoned him immediately in a small cell with little food, without his medicines (he suffers from diabetes), cut his hair, removes his priests clothes and forbid him to read Greek and Serbian Church books!

He was finaly released after strong pressure from all the Orthodox Churches!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 7, 2008
✟7,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Prophet Daniel spoke about Alexander.
"And when the book of Daniel was showed to him (Alexander the Great) wherein Daniel declared that one of the Greeks should destroy the empire of the Persians, he supposed that himself was the person intended"
lavious Josephus (11.8.5)

Prophet Daniel, (6th c. BC) in Ch. B, par. 39 of his Prophesies, foresaw the reign of Alexander the Great, occupying the throne of Solomon.

It is known that the Assyrian King Navuhudonosor had a terrifying dream, which was so terrible, to the point that the King was left without any memory of it. Daniel asked God about the Assyrian King's dream and the following prophecy was revealed through Daniel to the King:

"King, you are the golden head and after you a smaller kingdom will emerge. Following this, a third kingdom will appear, which will be symbolized by bronze and this kingdom will dominate all Earth. After that a fourth kingdom will come and this kingdom will be as strong as iron". All experts agree that the second kingdom was that of the Persians and King Medes, the third was Alexander the Great’s and the reign of the Hellenes, while the fourth one was the Roman dominion.

In addition, Prophet Daniel (Ch. 7, lines 1-22) prophesied that this Hellene (Hellene-Greek) King will conquer the Persian King and also this Greek King will be succeeded by four Kings of the same nation. Certainly the experts agree that the King Daniel refers to, is Alexander and the other four Kings of the same nationality are his Successors.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2008
✟7,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
"Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold were crushed together, and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; the wind carried them away so that no trace of them was found. And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth" (Daniel 2:35).

In the first dream, Daniel saw four great beasts coming up from out of the "Great Sea," which many biblical scholars believe refers to the Mediterranean Sea:

1. The first beast was like a lion, and it had eagle's wings (Daniel 7:4).
2. The second beast was like a bear. It was raised up on one side and had three ribs in its mouth (Daniel 7:5).
3. The third beast was like a leopard, which had four heads and four sets of wings (Daniel 7:6).
4. The fourth beast was "dreadful and terrible, exceedingly strong." It had huge iron teeth, and it devoured everything. It made war with God's people and broke them into pieces.

Almost immediately, the parallels to King Nebuchadnezzar's dream are obvious. As in King Nebuchadnezzar's dream, Daniel is told that the four beasts refer to four kingdoms (v. 23-27), and there can be little doubt that they are the same four described earlier. Thus…

* The lion refers to Babylon, the regal and majestic kingdom.
* The bear refers to Medo-Persia, which was stronger on one side than the other (the Medes were stronger than the Persians).
* The third beast, the leopard, refers to Greece, which swept across the world with rapid ferocity under Alexander the Great, then divided into four kingdoms (the leopard's four heads) after Alexander's death.
* The fourth kingdom is Rome, which is again pictured as a cruel and fierce iron monster.

1) (Daniel 8:20-21). In a vision, God revealed to Daniel that the kingdom to rise after the Persians would be the Greeks under Alexander the Great. Gabriel, the angelic messenger from God, explained to Daniel:

"The ram which you saw, having the two horns-they are the kings of Media and Persia. And the male goat is the kingdom of Greece. The large horn that is between its eyes is the first king. As for the broken horn and the four that stood up in its place, four kingdoms shall arise out of that nation, but not with its power"

2) (Daniel 8:8-13). Daniel describes this time:

"Therefore the male goat [the Greek Empire] grew very great; but when he became strong, the large horn was broken[Alexander the Great suddenly died at the apex of his power], and in place of it four notable ones came up toward the four winds of heaven [Alexander's kingdom was divided among his four top generals]"

As I repeat again, I have all the necessary links which unfortunately I cannot still provide due to the 50 posts limit. :)

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
that is foolish.. those maps are your recent propaganda...or Tito's maps showing his planning to overtake our province...
There are maps go back to the time of Ptolemy of Alexandria-- an author of a great geographical work in which he produced maps of various ancient countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa. His map of Macedonia is clearly separated from Greece, Illyria, and Thrace. Other maps from the Byzentinne era also show Macedonia as emcompasing from Skopje to Bitola. Philip founded Hereclea-Linxus near Bitola. Stobi was a town at the cross roads of the Via Egnatia road at the Axios way. It is south of Veles. The ruins of Skupi are near the birthplace of the Roman Emporer Justinian. I have said this before. It is not a recent history. It's a thorough one. It's not propoganda of Tito, they were around long before him.
Do not compare your constitution as a US constitution. I am not stupid they can ammend it any time.. they please.. even ammend the US constitution.. What about the war on terror of Americans loosing their privacy laws... they can suspend it any time they see it fit...

A shame you think such. An ammendment has to be voted on and ratified. It is not a put whatever you want whenever you want into it. And speaking of Iraq, R. Macedonia has sent many troops to Afganistan as well, and continues to support NATO efforts. Greece has hardly lifted a finger. One Macedonian General was recently decorated for his honorable service.

North Macedonia is not a good enough name for me either. It can be combined with "south macedonia" to complete the task of your imperialistic plan. Notice how threatening you sound... Why "new Macedonia" would not be an okay name for you? Because that is what you really are"new -wanabes-Macedonians" ...I do not see why this name should be a problem?

Maybe a problem for you, but the Greek government asked for a name with a geographical distinction. I hope and pray this solution will resolve the issue. You should too.

That was a blog not news article ...You must be kidding me right??

The USA Today, hardly a slanted news source--and you want us to take seriously a Youtube video? I don't deny that the Macedonians have influence from the slavic culture. I'm sorry that Greece denies it ever existed in theirs.

What about this testimony as fart as your DNA... from your own people....
The first was from the:

National Center for Biotechnology Information
Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain

The second:

American Association for the Advancement of Science

Yes, these are my people, happy to say. I am an American citizen.
Because they were not considered themselves "macedonians" but "slavo-macedonians" and some of them until nwo they do not want to have anything to do with you guys....They did not identify themselves as such... Like some of the muslims in Thrace do not recognize themselves as Turks...they say they are Hellene Citizens...how hard is that to understand??

Based on how the Greeks treat the "slavo-Macedonians" at the border, I shun to think what the people who live in Greece with that ethnicity have to live with every day.

Ha... yeah I think it is the other way around mendling with whose politics and foreign affairs... We have a lobby and you do too...so there. The Jews have a lobby too...eveyone does. BTW Israel is against your name recognition that outht to tell you something...too.

Many countries have recognized the name. I've already said that. The mistake would be on going backwards and asking all the countries to change their position before the name issue has been solved. Gripe all you want about the non-use of FYROM in countries that have recognized the name. Many are more to come.

Please we do not want your money... You need it more than us... You think that by getting that name you will solve your problems? No, it is extending your country to the Aegian your true agenda...then economics will get better... are they??
Why you donot want your rightful slavic name obviously it will not get you anywhere that is why... instead you want to usurp ours...

Again, I don't deny the slavic influence on the ethnicity of Macedonians. I don't think anyone does. This issue needs to end and both sides need to make concessions. You choose to believe the propoganda of some hidden agenda that doesn't exist. You choose to believe reputable sources of history are some propaganda made up, when they have been in existence for hundreds if not thousands of years. Their meaning hasn't changed then or now. Macedonia is Greece, and so is the Republic of Macedonia. In the words of Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

Again giving the wrong impressions to people... You are the ones who want to adopt a name you do not deserve... Why should not we "resist" your imperialistic plans?

Imperialistic Plans? Fantasy that is more related to Star Wars than reality here on Earth.

People will believe to whomever has the strongest propaganda and according to you ....they should listen to the "little" guy... since you all play on sympathy instead of facts and evidence... People do not know history in the US ... that is a fact and you all giving them the "slanted" one that your "alleged" scholars have produced.... Thousands of years of Greek civilization and it all comes to 20 years of your history to prove what??? That you can play better politics with the right people? FYROM is not Kosovo... you will need us someday and "fortunately" we will be there... We got a good heart... we give you aid do we? We would never withdraw that one... no matter how badly you potray us.. that is what Hellenes are made of....

I have no doubt in the heart of the majority of Greek people. I have no doubt on the heart of the people here as well. A few play on politics makes enemies out of two very good societies. It's sad it has come to that, but, again, nothing new, as the Greek-Macedonian conflict has been going on throughout history. Thousands of years of Greek civilization?? What about the Romans, Slavs, Byzantines, Ottomans?? Were they not in Greece throughout history as well? No doubt the people of Greece thought of themselves as Greek--I don't deny that, but changes and influences of each make us who we are today. 20 years of freedom here is a breath of fresh air amid the thousands of years of control by these former empires. As a free society in Greece for three generations, it's a shame they do not want the same for the people here.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a grandma who lives close to me, and says she has lived in 5 different countries: Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Yugoslavia, and R. Macedonia. She has never moved her house...But, she has ALWAYS called herself Macedonian.
So have the Greeks living in the area, so have the Turks, so have the Bulgarians, so have the Serbians. I live in Sydney and refer to myself as a Sydney-ite. That does not mean there is an ethnicity called Sydney-ite, it is merely a geographic reference.
People who have lived here have always thought of themselves by the land they live, no matter who the ruling party is or was. It is not an identity crisis, it is not a crime. It is a final and needed chance to claim who they have always been, despite the last 100 years of political propoganda on all sides to distort and twist this identity into something unknown.
You start out with the geographic reference, but it becomes clear that you wish it to be an ethnic reference which it never was, not even for the Ancient Macedonians who were as Greek as the Ancient Spartans or the Ancient Athenians.
However, based on your convenient quotes of one perspective of history, I offer another, much based on the ancient orators and historians themselves. They have a much different view, and who is to say they didn't know thier own time better than modern historians do:
or rather your out of context interpretation of their views.
Not according to the Greek statesmen at the time:

Demosthenes, the great Greek statesman and orator, spoke of Philip II as:"... not only no Greek, nor related to the Greeks, but not even a barbarian from any place that can be named with honors, but a pestilent knave from Macedonia, whence it was never yet possible to buy a decent slave." [Third Philippic, 31]
The Macedonian "barbarian" defeated Greece at the battle of Chaeronea in August 338 BC and appointed himself "Commander of the Greeks".

There is another oration made by Demosthenes titled "Against Aristogeiton". In this oration Demosthenes calls another opponent of his,the Athenian orator , Aristagoras, a barbarian.[II. 26.17]

Another Athenian orator, Aeschines ( 389–314 BC), was also an adversary of Demosthenes.In his oration "On the Embassy" [2 183]he calls Demosthenes himself a barbarian!(fortune cast my lot with a slanderer, a barbarian, who cared not for sacrifices nor libations nor the breaking of bread together)

Stratonicus of Athens, was a distinguished musician of the time of Alexander the Great (336–323 BC).He called the Eleans (Greeks who lived in the area of Olympia in the Pelopponese) barbarians:
” And when he was asked again, according to the account given by Hegesander, which were the greatest barbarians, the Boeotians or the Thessalians, Stratonicus said,” The Eleans.””
References
Athenaeus,Deipnosophistae VIII 350a
James A. Towle, Commentary on Plato: Protagoras 341c.
Sophie Minon, Les Inscriptions Éléennes Dialectale - Reviewed by Stephen Colvin

Notice in the previous example of even a hint of calling the Thessalians barbarians by Hegesander(an Athenian tragic actor for Euripides)

The AEOLIANS (Greeks who lived in Boeotia (a region in Central Greece), and in Lesbos (an island close to Asia Minor) and in other Greek colonies.
In Protagoras (dialogue) 341c of Plato, Prodicus (465 BC - 415 BC) a Greek philosopher) labelled the Aeolic dialect as barbarian:
“ He didn't know to distinguish the words correctly, being from Lesbos, and having been raised with a barbarian dialect”
References
Athenaeus,Deipnosophistae VIII 350a
James A. Towle, Commentary on Plato: Protagoras 341c.
Sophie Minon, Les Inscriptions Éléennes Dialectale - Reviewed by Stephen Colvin

The EPIROTES
(Greeks living in the Northwestern mainland):
Alexander's mother was from Epirus.The Epirotes though Greek-speaking seem to have been regarded with some disdain by the Athenians.The 5th century BC Athenian historian Thucydides describes them as "barbarians" due to the fact they allied themselves with the Spartans during the Peloponnesian War.Greek and Roman writers such as Apollodorus, Dionysius of Halicarnassus, Frontinus, Pausanias, Ptolemy, Cassius Dio and Eutropius, describe them as Greeks.
References:
The term barbaros, "A Greek-English Lexicon" (Liddell & Scott), at Perseus
Apollodorus, TheLibrary, 3.7.6-3.7.7 at Theoi Project
Dionysius of Halicarnassus,Roman Antiquities, Book XX, 10 (19.11) at LacusCurtius
Frontinus, Stratagems, Book II, V. On ambushes, 10, 19 at LacusCurtius
Pausanias, Description of Greece, 1.11.7-1.12.2 (Jones translation) at Theoi Project
Ptolemy, The Geography, Epirus: "Greece starts at Oricus and the most ancient part of Greece is Epirus."

So by your interpretation we must conclude that:
Aristogeiton is not Greek because Demosthenes called him a barbarian;
Demosthenes is not Greek because Aeschines caled him a barbarian;
The Eleans are not Greek because Stratonicus called them barbarians;
The Thessalians are not Greek because Hegesander called them barbarians;
The Aeoleans are not Greek because Prodicus called them barbarians;
The Epirotes are not Greek because Thucydides called them barbarians;

The question of the use of the ancient Macedonian language was raised by Alexander himself during the trial of Philotas, one of his generals accused of treason. This is what Alexander has said to Philotas:
"The Macedonians are about to pass judgement upon you; I wish to know weather you will use their native tongue in addressing them." Philotas replied: "Besides the Macedonians there are many present who, I think, will more easily understand what I shell say if I use the same language which you have employed." Than said the king: "Do you not see how Philotas loathes even the language of his fatherland? For he alone disdains to learn it. But let him by all means speak in whatever way he desires, provided that you remember that he holds out customs in as much abhorrence as our language" (Curtius).
--Quintus Curtius Rufus
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roman Historian[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The History of Alexander - Penguin Classics[/FONT]
Every region of Greece had its own dialect. Even today there are several dialects in use across Greece while the core of the language combines elements of Attic, Doric, Aeolic and other dialects in both its vocabulary and grammar. The thing I find strangest about your arguments, however, is that while you go on about your right to self identify as Macedonians, you deny Alexander the Great the same right to self identify as Greek. Just one example among several:

"I am myself a Greek by ancient descent."
Alexander I of Macedonia,in Herodotos' book Kalliopi,IX,45.

Want more evidence?? The local museum here has coins, tablets, and other writings from the period whose written language was definately NOT ancient Greek unearthed from the area near where I live. I'll take pictures and upload them.
Please do, I'd love to see them.

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.