Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I stumbled on videos of the Kriss Vector and the Hudson handgun. Apparently they changed the moving mechanism to curve downwards so the muzzle could be lowered and reduce muzzle flip.

This got me wondering about revolvers. Shouldn't it be simple to place the bore axis of a revolver at the ideal height? Do all revolvers have less muzzle flip than a comparable semi-automatic for this reason?

May 31, 2013
Northeast
✟25,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Muzzle flip typically isn't an issue in non-defensive situations, so I'll exclude that from my comment. With that out of the way, it's my opinion that drifting off target during the long double-action stroke is the revolver's far-larger liability. It takes lots of hand strength and constant practice to conquer this, especially with the typical trigger pulls you find coming out of the factories these days. I have a short-barreled S&W 66 whose trigger was smoothed and lightened. Even with the Hogue Monogrips I put on it, maintaining sight alignment during the trigger stroke is still the main issue, just less than before.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Muzzle flip typically isn't an issue in non-defensive situations, so I'll exclude that from my comment. With that out of the way, it's my opinion that drifting off target during the long double-action stroke is the revolver's far-larger liability. It takes lots of hand strength and constant practice to conquer this, especially with the typical trigger pulls you find coming out of the factories these days. I have a short-barreled S&W 66 whose trigger was smoothed and lightened. Even with the Hogue Monogrips I put on it, maintaining sight alignment during the trigger stroke is still the main issue, just less than before.
Thanks, I wasn't aware that the semiautomatic triggers were easier to pull. That does seem like it would help.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, I wasn't aware that the semiautomatic triggers were easier to pull. That does seem like it would help.

It's because most automatic triggers are single-action and most revolver triggers (now) are double-action (unless cocked by hand).

Double-action triggers always have a longer, harder pull because pulling the trigger [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] the hammer, then drops it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's because most automatic triggers are single-action and most revolver triggers (now) are double-action (unless cocked by hand).

Double-action triggers always have a longer, harder pull because pulling the trigger [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] the hammer, then drops it.
I read somewhere that double-action was considered an improvement over single-action for police, because they were accidentally pulling the single-action triggers when startled. If that article was true, then it seems that semiautomatics would suffer from the same problem as single-action revolvers - people might pull the trigger accidentally when startled and shoot innocents, etc?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read somewhere that double-action was considered an improvement over single-action for police, because they were accidentally pulling the single-action triggers when startled. If that article was true, then it seems that semiautomatics would suffer from the same problem as single-action revolvers - people might pull the trigger accidentally when startled and shoot innocents, etc?

Sounds likely to me...which is why one of the 4 main safety rules is: "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot".

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds likely to me...which is why one of the 4 main safety rules is: "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot".
Yes, I had never heard of that rule until a few months ago. It seems like a good idea.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I made my kids memorize the 4 rules before I let them touch a gun, and I still review them regularly, even though they're in their 20s now.

Some things are fundamental.

When holding a handgun, I usually slip my finger behind the trigger, which lets me keep a good tight grip on the gun, and also jams the trigger should anyone try to pull the trigger while I'm holding it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Getting back to the OP, it seems to me that the best gun configuration would be to have the grip or stock directly behind the barrel (looking sort of like a crutch), so that recoil would not affect muzzle position much.

This design is probably impractical; I've never seen anything like that tried.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In revlovers, the Rhino does just that. The bottom of the cylinder is the chamber that fires through a very low barrel:

chiappa-rhino-2.jpg

It was for me with the Tokarev; I was anticipating and pulling the muzzle down; always shooting low. At 20 yards, to put it on the paper, I had to aim a foot high, and 6" to the right; while others could aim at the target with that same pistol, and hit it. Other handguns with less jump, I am normally and shoot where I point.

I sold the M57 Tokarev yesterday, and have ordered a CZ clone in 9mm.

In semi-automatics, the CZ or in my case NZ85B has a lowered barrel made possible with the internal slide rail design. The lower powered 9mm and the lower barrel should help with muzzle jump and target reaquisition.

nz85bretouch.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums