Love of the world, "If the world ended tomorrow, I'd never shed a tear..." Looking back...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Love of the world, (song lyrics) "If the world ended tomorrow, I'd never shed a tear..."

Is this true for you or not...?

When Jesus comes back or come to claim you and take you out of this world, is there a danger in "looking back" like Lot's wife...?

If we don't look back I think he (God) takes all the memory of that from us, but don't know if we do look back...?

If we don't even look back being so wrapped up in our exquisite love for Jesus, and forget about the world at that time and don't even look back, I think God wipes all memory of it from us, and that's how we'll be transformed maybe...

Nor do I think those in heaven or who go to heaven have any knowledge at all, or any awareness of hell, either, ever, for the rest of time, I think all of that is taken away from us... I do not think we see hell in heaven or even know about it, I think that is taken away from us at that time...

But, if you "look back" and want to shed tears for the world, when Christ comes to take you, is there danger in that...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I also wonder if it can depend on what your looking back for or too...? If it's people or stuff or things that your looking for, maybe...?

And, it would probably have to be out genuine love and care and concern for others, and not "other" reasons...

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I also wonder if it can depend on what your looking back for or too...? If it's people or stuff or things that your looking for, maybe...?

And, it would probably have to be out genuine love and care and concern for others, and not "other" reasons...

I think another good question would be, " Did Lot not care because he didn't look back?". I'm sure Lot cared as much as his wife, besides Lot was the one who fought hard to rescue the people from God's wrath. But ultimately, his priority was Jesus.

I feel like the heart of Lot, or of Noah when he had to shut the ark, that that will be the hearts of all the righteous people that will end up judging the world on judgment day (1 Corinthians 6:2). Would I shed a tear? Would I want to cry out? I don't know if I will in terms of will I have my memories, but I naturally would want to out of the genuine love to see others not face the wrath, but my priority and eyes would be on God.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think another good question would be, " Did Lot not care because he didn't look back?". I'm sure Lot cared as much as his wife, besides Lot was the one who fought hard to rescue the people from God's wrath. But ultimately, his priority was Jesus.

I feel like the heart of Lot, or of Noah when he had to shut the ark, that that will be the hearts of all the righteous people that will end up judging the world on judgment day (1 Corinthians 6:2). Would I shed a tear? Would I want to cry out? I don't know if I will in terms of will I have my memories, but I naturally would want to out of the genuine love to see others not face the wrath, but my priority and eyes would be on God.
Yes, that is a good question and a point I was gonna bring up too...?

But, it might be sympathy for the Devil, which could be dangerous or risky... Since it is his world (system)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When I was a young child, I had recurring nightmares of a planet that looks like Earth being struck by something that was very massive and black. It was a charcoal-black thing surrounded by a massive black cloud in outer space.

The impact probably killed everyone on the planet. I was looking and I was crying and I was crying until I woke up from the nightmare.

The black thing had nothing but immeasurable wrath. It is alive somehow. I can feel its emotions in that dream and its wrath cannot be contained, I felt like my head is gonna explode! It had a very loud sound like that of a giant, crashing ocean wave.

Its perfectly ok if such thing happens today. I only live a simple and modest life, not much to miss!

• Prayers
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Love of the world, (song lyrics) "If the world ended tomorrow, I'd never shed a tear..."

When Jesus comes back or come to claim you and take you out of this world, is there a danger in "looking back" like Lot's wife...?

If we don't look back I think he (God) takes all the memory of that from us, but don't know if we do look back...?

If we don't even look back being so wrapped up in our exquisite love for Jesus, and forget about the world at that time and don't even look back, I think God wipes all memory of it from us, and that's how we'll be transformed maybe...

Nor do I think those in heaven or who go to heaven have any knowledge at all, or any awareness of hell, either, ever, for the rest of time, I think all of that is taken away from us... I do not think we see hell in heaven or even know about it, I think that is taken away from us at that time...

But, if you "look back" and want to shed tears for the world, when Christ comes to take you, is there danger in that...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Hi,
interesting question.
I am very happy with life, it's precious. But I am at peace and relaxed about death. This world is temporary, all of it passes. It's filled with cacophony and a lot of twaddle really! Just look at reality TV, people waste their life on nonsense, afraid and unable to address the important matters of their own soul's salvation.

Even those we love are only lent to us. I feel so blessed to know Jesus and to be ready to go to Him at a moment's notice. Then the thought, in fact surety of spending eternity with Him fills me with true happiness.

I do believe we remain who we are, with all we have learned, forever. Our soul is eternal. It's simply a matter of choosing where we wish to spend eternity, with God in heaven, or with the Devil in hell.

Upvote 0

Maria.V.H

Feb 1, 2017
Denmark
✟34,519.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Comments...?

God Bless!
I would look back, and i would do so because i would be very insecure. I would not look back because of love for this life or love for myself. I would look back because of the love i have for others, and because i feel insecure and unworthy. I would not be brave enough to just look forward. I don´t think there is anything wrong being emotional and looking back. Yes, we are not supposed to cling to this life, but God gave us this beautiful life, if it should not be appreciated and counted for something i don´t know what should. I will forever be thankful for what this life has given me, that can also be a part of looking back i think, not taking our lives or anything for granted.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was a young child, I had recurring nightmares of a planet that looks like Earth being struck by something that was very massive and black. It was a charcoal-black thing surrounded by a massive black cloud in outer space.

I think we are ready for another movie like that. Go for it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Someone did it already. Star Trek 2009. A black cloud and a massive black thing came out of it and destroyed planet Vulcan. Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer, again, a massive black cloud giant entity almost destroyed Earth.

It's rooted in the human psyche somehow.... God was also described as a black cloud. Jesus returning with the "clouds of heaven" and everyone mourning at the sight of it (as I did in those nightmares).

I was less than three when I started having those nightmares. It is actually the earliest memories I had of childhood, it would be long before I became a Christian.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone did it already. Star Trek 2009. A black cloud and a massive black thing came out of it and destroyed planet Vulcan. Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer, again, a massive black cloud giant entity almost destroyed Earth.

It's rooted in the human psyche somehow.... God was also described as a black cloud. Jesus returning with the "clouds of heaven" and everyone mourning at the sight of it (as I did in those nightmares).

I was less than three when I started having those nightmares. It is actually the earliest memories I had of childhood, it would be long before I became a Christian.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love of the world would include loving worldly entertainment (Like Star Trek, secular movies, wordly music, etc.), and it would include loving the world system (like being patriotic for your country's values and ways, etc.). Our time to unwind would include the things of God. Our allegiance is to the Kingdom of Christ (although we are to obey the laws of the land - as long as they do not conflict with God's laws).

We are told not to love the world.
So loving worldly entertainment and the political system of this world is not what God wants us to do. He wants us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Him.

We are to pray and do good and to love for people we find deplorable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Many Christians have a false sense of transcendence. In order to value heaven, they have tot denigrate earth. Due to the incarnation, it is a false dichotomy. Even the Christian tradition is full of this sort of thing, of stories of saints that mutilated their appearances (St. Brigid), or even threw away their lives (in what amounted to suicide... some martyrs did this), in the name of a misguided asceticism and world-denying desire.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians have a false sense of transcendence. In order to value heaven, they have tot denigrate earth. Due to the incarnation, it is a false dichotomy. Even the Christian tradition is full of this sort of thing, of stories of saints that mutilated their appearances (St. Brigid), or even threw away their lives (in what amounted to suicide... some martyrs did this), in the name of a misguided asceticism and world-denying desire.

The Bible is actually discussing about two types of "world".

World in the original Greek in the New Testament is "Kosmon" which is either the "Universe" or "Order". The "Grand Order of things".

When the Bible says "Jesus so-loved the world". That simply meant "order" in the context of perfection or Godly order or organization.

When the Bible says, "do not love the world". That is "order" in the context of order corrupted by the ways of men.

We all certainly would love one and hate the other... Cannot serve two masters, we are doomed to love one and hate the other.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
To an understanding Christian, the world (physical) is an illusion and the kingdom of God (spiritual) is reality. The world see's it in the exact opposite.

Gospel of Thomas:
(18) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
Jesus said, "Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For where the beginning is, there will the end be. Blessed is he who will take his place in the beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."

Reality begins when the illusion ends. This is the "good news", the Gospel.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Just to let you know, I'm actually serious about my previous post. It's a recurring childhood nightmare.

I don't usually get such replies from you. You've been nice most the time. But it sounds like you're making fun of me this time. If I somehow offended you in the past, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We are not to harm our physical bodies. They are the temples of the Holy Ghost. Denying oneself of sinful things or indulgences that that worldly men offer is not even remotely the same thing that I am talking about. Read 1 John 2:15-17.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We are not to harm our physical bodies. They are the temples of the Holy Ghost. Denying oneself of sinful things or indulgences that that worldly men offer is not even remotely the same thing that I am talking about. Read 1 John 2:15-17.

It's not that different necessarily, in practice. Especially if it used to denigrate the freedom of others to live differently than ones own ascetical ideals.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Luke 9:62
But Jesus said to him, "No one having put his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

And as my bro St. W. Tyndale once said:

William Tyndale

A clergyman hopelessly entrenched in Roman Catholic dogma once taunted Tyndale with the statement, “We are better to be without God’s laws than the Pope’s”.
Tyndale was infuriated by such Roman Catholic heresies, and he replied,
I defy the Pope and all his laws. If God spare my life ere many years, I will cause the boy that drives the plow to know more of the scriptures than you!”

Tyndale was then strangled and burnt at the stake in the prison yard, Oct. 6, 1536. His last words were, "Lord, open the king of England's eyes."
This prayer was answered three years later, in the publication of King Henry VIII’s 1539 English “Great Bible”.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not that different necessarily, in practice. Especially if it used to denigrate the freedom of others to live differently than ones own ascetical ideals.

Your not making any sense. But that's okay.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Love of the world would include loving worldly entertainment (Like Star Trek, secular movies, wordly music, etc.), and it would include loving the world system (like being patriotic for your country's values and ways, etc.). Our time to unwind would include the things of God. Our allegiance is to the Kingdom of Christ (although we are to obey the laws of the land - as long as they do not conflict with God's laws).

We are told not to love the world.
So loving worldly entertainment and the political system of this world is not what God wants us to do. He wants us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Him.

We are to pray and do good and to love for people we find deplorable.
As long as they are not an idol, it's fine... or are put before, or above God, it's fine... though that is the danger...

I do not put my entertainment or things that I learn or know from the world and worldly entertainment, above or before God and his word and his truth...

However, some do, of course...

This is mainly about, if you would look back to the world, when Jesus comes for you, or not... not worldly entertainment, there are other threads for that Jason, you have one in fact...

You cannot get out of the world right now, not possible right now, scripture says so... So we have to navigate and be armed with God's word and truth, and have on the complete suit of armor of God, to avoid anything in or of the world to become an idol, and to be able to navigate being exposed, and having no choice but to be exposed, of the things with it or from it...

I am armed with God's word and truth, and I have my complete suit of armor on, so, I am fine, nothing in and from the world will be able to separate me from God, or shake my faith in him or get me to doubt his truth... In fact some of it/that (stuff of the world), even makes it/that (my faith, my beliefs) only stronger...

God Bless!

Upvote 0