How Could God Predestine Me For Salvation From Before the Foundation of the World

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So my understanding of Reformed Soteriology is that God predestines individuals for salvation from before the foundation of the world. That is to say that he chose who will be saved before he had even created the world. Is this a fair representation of what Reformed Soteriology says?

If so, my question is how?
I also understand from a Reformed perspective (as opposed to what Arminius proposed) this is based of the sovereignty of God, not based on his foreknowledge. As such, how could God predestine me, before I was created (before anything was created), without knowing that I would exist, because it is not based on his foreknowledge?

(Please don't answer by saying that God sits outside of time, so doesn't need to use his foreknowledge to know I would exist - consider foreknowledge to mean a knowledge of thing within time - if we agree that this is what we mean by foreknowledge?)

I can understand that if God was thinking about creation, he could consider than man would sin, and therefore could predestine Jesus to come and be a propitiating sacrifice for the world. But if he knew exactly what would happen to each individual, because that is how he planned it, rather than what he foresaw, then how is free will even possible? I was born dead, my parents ignored the doctors when they said it was hopeless to consider that I could live. The billions of choices that have culminated in me even existing, if they are truly free, could even God actually do the math? Of course yes, but the other question is would he?

Further, if you say that it is a mystery of God. Do we believe that we are made in God's image, able to understand his ways, or at least his ways with the world?

Reactions: Derf

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So my understanding of Reformed Soteriology is that God predestines individuals for salvation from before the foundation of the world. That is to say that he chose who will be saved before he had even created the world. Is this a fair representation of what Reformed Soteriology says?
Hello Bones49, I think that's close enough :) Of course, both the Bible (e.g. Ephesians 1:4-6) and Arminianism teach the very same thing, do they not? For instance, in Arminianism, God chooses or elects to save those who He "knows/sees" will respond positively to Him/to the Gospel during their lives here, so, His reason for choosing us is "conditioned" upon/by our choice of Him (first .. if Arminian soteriology is correct, that is).

God chooses us because we first choose Him (that's in the Bible somewhere, isn't it .. just kidding, that's ~not~ in the Bible ;)).

On the other hand, the Reformed say that Divine election is "unconditional", that God's choice of us is not based upon something that He sees in us or about us, something that He either sees us doing or failing to do, etc. The basis of His choice to elect some and not others is known only to Him, at least for now anyway.

You may also want to consider His great "love" for us in this (as what the Bible tells us about that is even more amazing :)). For instance, in Jeremiah 31:3, God tells Jeremiah that He has loved Him with an "everlasting love", which means that His love for him (as it was for Israel, and as it is for all of us who are or who will be His by Divine adoption) is just like He is, "from everlasting". This means that there was never a time in eternity past when He did not already love us and, as we learn elsewhere in the Bible, that there will never be such a time, now and forevermore :amen:

As Pastor Charles Spurgeon once wrote (at the end of one of his daily devotionals, Morning & Evening),

"Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night":)

I also understand from a Reformed perspective (as opposed to what Arminius proposed) this is based of the sovereignty of God, not based on his foreknowledge. As such, how could God predestine me, before I was created (before anything was created), without knowing that I would exist, because it is not based on his foreknowledge?
God's being sovereign does not mean that He doesn't know what will happen, rather, it means quite the opposite (that He, in point of fact, knows EXACTLY what will happen in the future, an "end" that He declares from the "beginning" (as the Scriptures tell us .. e.g. Isaiah 46:9-10). He knows all of us, and He knows exactly what we will do, if He left all of us to your own devices, that is .. see Romans 3:10-12, which is why He intervenes in our lives, to save a remnant from among us/from walking the "broad road", so that ALL OF US will not, in the end, be lost.

(Please don't answer by saying that God sits outside of time, so doesn't need to use his foreknowledge to know I would exist - consider foreknowledge to mean a knowledge of thing within time - if we agree that this is what we mean by foreknowledge?)
Terminology, and the lack of a common understanding of it, is one of the biggest hinderances to our discussions online. Perhaps it would be a good idea to come to an understanding of Divine "foreknowledge" in this thread before going any further, because I (and I believe the Bible) have a different understanding of it than you do.

For instance, consider this verse,

Psalm 139
16 Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Thy book they were all written,
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

......if he (God) knew exactly what would happen to each individual, because that is how he planned it, rather than what he foresaw, then how is free will even possible?
According to Reformed theology, God plans (or, more specifically, interferes with the plans of His elect children) by giving us a new heart and a new spirit, and by making us alive for the first time (spiritually) in Christ (and more, incl giving us a new nature with an understanding of/desire for the "spiritual" things of God) .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:25-27; John 3:3; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4-5. The unsaved/reprobate He leaves to his/her own devices (free will choices). As I just said above, and as the Bible tells us, ALL of us were on the road to perdition, because that is what we freely wanted, but He stepped in so that ALL of us would not be lost (we are, after all, His Son's promised bride).

This would be another term, "free will" that is, that should probably have a common understanding within this thread. I, for instance, believe that our wills are free when we are able to act in accord with our greatest desire/when we are able to freely choose that which we desire most (at a given moment in time, that is).

I was born dead, my parents ignored the doctors when they said it was hopeless to consider that I could live. The billions of choices that have culminated in me even existing, if they are truly free, could even God actually do the math? Of course yes, but the other question is would he?
I would like to hear more of your story sometime, if you are willing to tell it, of course :)

Do we believe that we are made in God's image, able to understand his ways, or at least his ways with the world?
The Apostle Paul tells us that none are (able to understand God in our "natural" state, outside of Christ, that is) .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 2:14 cf Romans 3:9-12.

God bless you!!

--David

Sunset over a field of red flowers with Elisabeth Ellliot.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Bones49, I think that's close enough :) Of course, both the Bible (e.g. Ephesians 1:4-6) and Arminianism teach the very same thing, do they not? For instance, in Arminianism, God chooses or elects to save those who He "knows/sees" will respond positively to Him/to the Gospel during their lives here, so, His reason for choosing us is "conditioned" upon/by our choice of Him (first .. if Arminian soteriology is correct, that is).

God chooses us because we first choose Him (that's in the Bible somewhere, isn't it ;)).

On the other hand, the Reformed say that Divine election is "unconditional", that God's choice of us is not based upon something that He sees in us or about us, something that He either sees us doing or failing to do, etc. The basis of His choice to elect some and not others is known only to Him, at least for now anyway.

You may also want to consider His great "love" for us in this (as what the Bible tells us about that is even more amazing :)). For instance, in Jeremiah 31:3, God tells Jeremiah that He has loved Him with an "everlasting love", which means that His love for him (as it was for Israel, and as it is for all of us who are or who will be His by Divine adoption) is just like He is, "from everlasting". This means that there was never a time in eternity past when He did not already love us and, as we learn elsewhere in the Bible, that there will never be such a time, now and forevermore :amen:

As Pastor Charles Spurgeon once wrote (at the end of one of his daily devotionals, Morning & Evening),

"Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night":)

God's being sovereign does not mean that He doesn't know what will happen, rather, it means quite the opposite (that He, in point of fact, knows EXACTLY what will happen in the future, an "end" that He declares from the "beginning" (as the Scriptures tell us .. e.g. Isaiah 46:9-10). He knows all of us, and He knows exactly what we will do, if He left all of us to your own devices, that is .. see Romans 3:10-12, which is why He intervenes in our lives, to save a remnant from among us/from walking the "broad road", so that ALL OF US will not, in the end, be lost.

Terminology, and the lack of a common understanding of it, is one of the biggest hinderances to our discussions online. Perhaps it would be a good idea to come to an understanding of Divine "foreknowledge" in this thread before going any further, because I (and I believe the Bible) have a different understanding of it than you do.

For instance, consider this verse,

Psalm 139
16 Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Thy book they were all written,
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

According to Reformed theology, God plans (or, more specifically, interferes with the plans of His elect children) by giving us a new heart and a new spirit, and by making us alive for the first time (spiritually) in Christ (and more, incl giving us a new nature with an understanding of/desire for the "spiritual" things of God) .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:25-27; John 3:3; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4-5. The unsaved/reprobate He leaves to his/her own devices (free will choices). As I just said above, and as the Bible tells us, ALL of us were on the road to perdition, because that is what we freely wanted, but He stepped in so that ALL of us would not be lost (we are, after all, His Son's promised bride).

This would be another term, "free will" that is, that should probably have a common understanding within this thread. I, for instance, believe that our wills are free when we are able to act in accord with our greatest desire/when we are able to freely choose that which we desire most (at a given moment in time, that is).

I would like to hear more of your story sometime, if you are willing to tell it, of course :)

The Apostle Paul tells us that none are (able to understand God in our "natural" state, outside of Christ, that is) .. e.g. 1 Corinthians 2:14 cf Romans 3:9-12.

God bless you!!

--David

Thanks for your reply David, it is late here so I will try to be brief for that reason.

Yes, defining terms. I'm not sure what I believe about foreknowledge. I do think I believe God is outside time, so limiting his foreknowledge to knowing beforehand seems not to fully deal with the situation. What is your idea?

free will. I would generally consider free will in a very narrow sense, in the ability to obey or to rebel against God. This is the situation with Adam and Eve is it not? Certainly free will can mean more than this, but in the context of soteriology, I think this is sufficient, but I'm seeking the truth. What do you see how the bible defines it?

You said 'God's being sovereign does not mean that He doesn't know what will happen,' yes I understand that, but if I understand correctly Arminius disagreed with Calvin that predestination was based on God's sovereignty, but rather on his foreknowledge. Thus at the Council of Dort (I believe) the Calvinists refuted Arminus and produced the now famous five tenants of Calvinism, thus denying that predestination was based on his foreknowledge - therefore, from a Calvinist perspective God's predestination is based on his sovereignty alone, and not also on his foreknowledge.

Love. This actually brings us very quickly to one of my concerns. How can an omnipotent, loving God chose only a few to be saved. He could save all, and he loves all, so why didn't he? And this is not because I want a mushy kind of love the turn a blind eye to sin, at bible college, one of the readings we were given included the idea that the greatest expression of God's love is Hell. Part of God's love is to separate that which is holy and that which is unholy, that which is good and which is bad. But if this occurs because God capriciously chose those who would be holy and those who wouldn't then, how is that loving?

Enough for now. Certainly happy to share more of my life, I'm a newbie here, so if there is a way to chat less publicly, let me know!

Grace and Peace!

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Where is this verse from? Did you mean 1 John 4 19 We love because he first loved us.
Bible teaches that we chose God because He chose us first.
Hello Ivan, you are correct, that "verse" is NOT in the Bible (that "God chooses us because we first choose Him", that is). It was just a thought that I had while I was writing a very short explanation of Arminian soteriology, a thought that I found somewhat humorous at the time, thus my use of the ":)" emoji at the end of it.

I think that I'll make that a bit more obvious in my last post.

Thanks!

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Ivan, you are correct, that "verse" is NOT in the Bible (that "God chooses us because we first choose Him", that is). It was just a thought that I had while I was writing a very short explanation of Arminian soteriology, a thought that I found somewhat humorous at the time, thus my use of the ":)" emoji at the end of it.

I think that I'll make that a bit more obvious in my last post.

Thanks!

God bless you!!

--David
Thank you for the reply, I did miss the sarcasm in your first post.

I also lean towards calvinism, mainly because of Romans 9.

That being said as long as the Christians who believe in Arminian theology acknowledge it is Christ alone who saves, by grace, and we have no part on Salvation, we good.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I can understand that if God was thinking about creation, he could consider than man would sin, and therefore could predestine Jesus to come and be a propitiating sacrifice for the world. But if he knew exactly what would happen to each individual, because that is how he planned it, rather than what he foresaw, then how is free will even possible? I was born dead, my parents ignored the doctors when they said it was hopeless to consider that I could live. The billions of choices that have culminated in me even existing, if they are truly free, could even God actually do the math? Of course yes, but the other question is would he?

Further, if you say that it is a mystery of God. Do we believe that we are made in God's image, able to understand his ways, or at least his ways with the world?
We can say what we want about salvation and predestination and intellectualize it senseless but the bottom line and I am certain about this is that we are here to make a choice, at least those who are called to make one during this life time. Choose life.

Peace

Upvote 0

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the reply, I did miss the sarcasm in your first post.

I also lean towards calvinism, mainly because of Romans 9.

That being said as long as the Christians who believe in Arminian theology acknowledge it is Christ alone who saves, by grace, and we have no part on Salvation, we good.
I don't think I agree with Arminius either but ok.
I can agree that it is Christ alone who save, by grace alone. I wouldn't use the words that we have no part in salvation. My question is what we mean by that? Is accepting the offer of salvation through repentance considered having a part in it, or not? Are we freely able to choose salvation, or does God even choose it through us (somehow without deny us free will)?

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I agree with Arminius either but ok.
I can agree that it is Christ alone who save, by grace alone. I wouldn't use the words that we have no part in salvation. My question is what we mean by that? Is accepting the offer of salvation through repentance considered having a part in it, or not? Are we freely able to choose salvation, or does God even choose it through us (somehow without deny us free will)?
I meant that we add nothing to the work of Christ on the cross.

Reactions: Bones49
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If I may God knew you before the world was formed. You were part of Him. Just as we all were. "ALL things are from God"
In Job, God asks Job the question: "where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth, declare IF thou hast understanding."

Why would God ask a man such a question? Probably because He wanted Job to consider his origins. God knew Job did not.
But as life was promised prior to the world being formed Tit 1:2 it was promised to you and all the rest of us before we were made man.

Now lets consider that Jesus was made to partake of flesh and blood as His brethren were already here on the earth. How so, were the
humans on the earth His brethren? There is a word translated as God called "Elohim" but that word is the plural of El. So what is a plural of
God have to do with us? That is us, Jesus is credited with the worlds being created THROUGH Him. He was the creative word of God and ALL
of us were there side by side working with Him, as leader, the credit went to Him, and I dare say the rest of us did not care one bit. Similar to
the SA node of the heart credited with the beating of the heart but yet all the cells of the heart are responsible for doing their part to make it happen.
The hardest part for most indoctrinated people is abandoning their organizational statements of faith for the actual truth.
If the Holy Ghost is your teacher then you'll get the truth, ALL of it. Just got to pay attention. And believe what He is showing you.
You will be separated from most things you know. ANd usually what He shows you as truth is about 180 degrees opposite of world
belief as far as statements of faith go.

God had a plan and that plan was to have sons that were the spitting image of him. The first to complete the plan was Jesus.
Check the genealogy in Matt 1:1-17 , do the math and Jesus of Nazareth the man was number 41, after His spiritual begetting at Jordan
He was known as Jesus Christ (42nd) He never took credit for any work that the people saw and said it was the Father that doeth the works.
But after His resurrection He was "declared to be the Son of God with Power, according to the Spirit of Holiness, By the resurrection of the dead." For all power in heaven and Earth was given to Him at that time. We see John say that the things Jesus did (got credit for) after He was resurrected were so plentiful that the books that would be written of those things, the world could not contain them.
Big difference from earthly ministry and after resurrection

So whats the pattern? Jesus a man, then Jesus a spiritually begotten Son of God, then a Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead.
Can anybody as a man follow His lead? Sure, because we are born men just as He. We who have the Holy Spirit are born of God, and when
resurrected will have the same authority, if we too are overcomers. Rev 3:21

1 Co 15:22-23 As in Adam(fleshly man) all die, even so in Christ(the spiritual body) shall ALL be made alive, But every man in his own order,
Christ the first fruits, then they which are Christs at His coming..............

The thing is Gods desire to have children like Jesus required us to be dipped into a world of good and evil and our memory wiped.
That has created the perfect environment for all to experience what life would be without God, much less God in charge.

You, like me were born under condemnation. Rom 5:18 God then, when the time had come, sent Jesus into the world to pay the sin price
for the sin of the entire world, even for those who have yet to be born, thus justifying everyone unto life. Rom 5:18

There are versions of the Bible that state "There is an order to this resurrection, Christ as the first of the harvest then those who are Christs
at His coming...........and it stops the story, but there is more to it than what is said in that one verse.
For Paul makes the claim in Eph 1:10 that when the dispensations of the TIMES have been fulfilled He might gather together ALL things in Christ.
The ALL things are ALL of mankind.
For the resurrection has an order Jesus Christ as Head of the body first, then those who are Christs at the close of this dispensation-another portion of the body of Christ, then as each dispensation of time passes another portion of the body of Christ is resurrected to life eternal,
this continues until the entire body of Christ is complete. Read Eph 2:15-16 its all there in those two verses. The tow are the Jew and the Gentile
and the One new man is the body of Christ, and as it says the Jew and the Gentile are to be reconciled to God in the one body.
And this also fits 1 Co 15:22-23
Which is every man in his own order according to Gods election of each into the body. He does work all things after the counsel of His will?

Back to us being predestinated. It was a certain group of spirits that God had chosen that were a part of Him to be His sons. Thats quite a few billion as a minimum, might be higher. Long time to go before its finished.

God chose you just as He chose everyone before the world was formed, He then calls you unto the faith by removing your blinders and
softening your heart, thus no man can take credit for his own salvation, there is no I accepted therefore I am, that don't cut it with the Father.
Self righteousness it is. You stand in His righteousness or you fall.
Romans 11 gives a good analogy of how and why all people are undeserving but yet all will be saved.

The long and the short of it is it was Gods plan and He is seeing it through, but the majority of the world will not be able to see it much less
hear or read it for it is still hidden from them for now.

Upvote 0