Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the evidence emerges that those with a certain historical reputation for having gone back to the source in actual fact followed tradition in some areas because of the pressure of vested interests.

But the Lord knows His people and sustains them.

I AGREE WITH THAT THOUGHT, FAROUK!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you're interested in serious history, a pretty standard introduction would be Henry Chadwick, The Early Church, in the Penguin series. But it, like many other things, concentrates on the development of doctrine. The OP suggests an interest in how people lived. For that you need more social history than theology. An example would be Robin Lane Fox, Pagans and Christians. Note that it covers a narrower period than books on the early church. It only goes up to Constantine.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you're interested in serious history, a pretty standard introduction would be Henry Chadwick, The Early Church, in the Penguin series. But it, like many other things, concentrates on the development of doctrine. The OP suggests an interest in how people lived. For that you need more social history than theology. An example would be Robin Lane Fox, Pagans and Christians. Note that it covers a narrower period than books on the early church. It only goes up to Constantine.

I would also suggest James Kelly and Mathieu Pageau for a look into the cosmology and worldview of ancient people.

Upvote 0