Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Listen to them talk. Ask them questions about their lives (past and present) and listen to them talk, do the whole "active listening" skills thing. This means the most to many of them.

I base this advice off of my experience working in memory care, I was a caregiver in a memory care nursing home for about a year (memory care nursing homes are specifically for residents with various severity levels and types of dementia).

Practical things are of course always great, but it's the social/emotional care that means the most to people who are on the cusp of death (to put it bluntly), which includes elderly widows (nursing homes are full of them, as women tend to live longer than men).

Also, with permission, appropriate physical affection is huge (hugs, holding their hand, firm but gentle shoulder squeeze or pat on the back for encouragement, etc).

Even without severe dementia, something I observed in every resident I ever cared for, both memory care and regular during my clinical training, was the phenomena of how the full earthly life cycle tends to come full circle, mentally and emotionally (and perhaps spiritually, for at least some people), in that the elderly are often like children when it comes to their needs. Which doesn't mean that they no longer need or deserve the dignity of adulthood (they very much do), but as far as their social and emotional needs, as they are facing death on the horizon, their needs go back to the basics: affection, validation and general caring (when all of the superficial rat race distractions of modern industrialized life are falling away).

Most of them have stories that they very much need to tell someone, which requires someone actually caring enough to ask and listen. Some of these stories are hilarious, as well, and some of them are rather emotionally deep, and some of them are "little things" stories that hold greater significance. And, sometimes the stories are angry or bitter, but you could wind up being the only person in their 60/70/80/90+ years of life who ever lets them know that it was okay for them to feel angry and that what they went through was definitely hurtful. Sometimes some pretty intense emotional processing happens at the end of one's life (I have seen it more than a few times), and all it took was for someone to really listen and genuinely care and think about what was being said, and then respond with healthy compassion.

If you can offer that to someone who is elderly and alone, then you can offer them the most meaningful thing that a human can at that stage of their life. Of course, though, again all of the practical help is very helpful, haha. It's just that deep down most of them are happier that you are there, than they are about the chores around the house getting done, if you feel my drift.
Yes I notice most widows become like children in many ways..need hugs, someone to talk to and be a friend to them. However it can be exhausting sometimes to do every little thing for them in the way they want it done - some get mad cos they are very much set in their ways. They don't like change...I suppose as you get older your capacity for change becomes smaller.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have to remember not to take it personally when they tell you off for not doing things the way they want it done even when your way is quicker or more efficient. Sometimes widows can just be living in the past and really they don't know how to deal with technology. Or maybe its just older people in general.

I don't think I make a very good caregiver as I'm not entirely self-less. I have needs too! Sometimes it seems like I've become a mum to someone who's much older than me as if we just swapped roles.

I wonder if God gives extra grace to caregivers as they really need it. I'm not really cut out for it.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I notice most widows become like children in many ways..need hugs, someone to talk to and be a friend to them. However it can be exhausting sometimes to do every little thing for them in the way they want it done - some get mad cos they are very much set in their ways. They don't like change...I suppose as you get older your capacity for change becomes smaller.
it's not so much that they don't like change. what they don't like is the loss of control over what happens to their lives.
that's where consultating with them and forewarning come into play.
don't spring changes on them suddenly.

if something in the schedule needs to change, give them a day or two notice so that they have time to adapt mentally.
after a death there is so little in life that can be counted on that what is permanent-- or is seen to be permanent and reliable-- is all the more precious to them.
to have that permanence brought into question by change rocks an already fragile boat.

Upvote 0

singpraise

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟18,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's so kind of you to help her!

I understand how difficult it can be to deal with this. I've been in the same situation, helping an elderly widow, which also involved clearing out her old home. For about two years before she was ready to clear out the house and let it go, I helped with cleaning and cooking some meals for her. It was hard and a lot of work, but meaningful because I know it helped her. I was only one of the people who helped her, there were several of us, which made it easier.

Set limits with her, in a kind and loving way. Let her know what you can and cannot do for her. Your time is valuable, too, so remember that.

And let her share her memories with you! Talking with the elderly widow and hearing her stories made the experience so much more wonderful for me, I was truly interested in hearing about her life; that part was fun. She had a great sense of humor and a great laugh. :)

You will be blessed for this because it's a sweet and selfless act on your part, simply out of the goodness of your heart.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes she does like to talk about the olden days. It seems though, that everything was better back then, but that was before I was born.

Sometimes older people say do you remember such and such or so and so...and of COURSE you dont because you werent even alive then. Lol

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just wondering if theres any practical advice for looking after widows.

Have a widowed lady in church and been asked to help her with her garden, me and another church member have been going once a week to clear her backyard.

Shes recovering from an operation and so she cant really do much at all and is housebound.

The only thing is I noticed that widows can be set in their ways and hold on to all their stuff!!! To the point where it almost becomes a huge mountain! We are not going to touch whats inside her house, but is kind of overwhelming to us esp when she says she wants to sell the house and move.

Another widowed lady that I know has a house too big for her again and cant sell to a smaller place cos her son still lives with her and shes constantly talking about it but it wont happen and shes always battling with the next door neighbours tree.

How do you deal with widows? Sometimes its like they just stuck in this place, and its probably reminding them too much of their husbands who have passed away.
If she has children or siblings, she may ask them to help. My uncle is in a nursing home and one of his sisters and a brother are helping pay the expenses. He maxed out his Social Security, but it is not enough. His children want no part of helping him and one of them has refused to speak to him for years.

There are government programs such as Social Security and SNAP (food stamps). There may be a community food bank somewhere.

One widow you wrote about has a son living with her. If her mortgage is paid, she might be eligible for a reverse mortgage that could bring her additional income. That would potentially lessen the value of any estate her heirs would inherit, but if they will not help her financially, she might like this option.

I am 57 and went to online dating. I am financially secure and wanted to share my home with someone. I met a 55 year old widow who has two children under the age of 18 living at home. We have been dating two months and talking about marriage and me moving to her place. We plan to date another four months before making a decision. Earlier I wrote to her that I was not against trying to help a widow and fatherless children. I had not planned for this to happen. An online article stated that 50% of women who are widows at the age of 65 will remarry. Another article stated widows outnumber widowers 4 to 1.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont really know what the widows children are doing to support her it seems they have their own families and cant do much as they are busy. She does get home help in, got ACC assessment, and the church rallied around her with meals and visits etc. shes 80 years old. Dont think she'll marry again!

The other widow, not sure how old she is (shes younger though.. in her 60s I think) but am not so involved with her, i didnt know about the reverse mortgage thing as an option. She wont marry again either..her son got into financial difficulties with his business and she was constantly saying to me she was hoping he would move out so she could downsize. Shes known for always being late for things as she takes a lot of time to get ready, got a two story house to maintain, and walking for her can be a pain. She still works hairdressing.

Both widows im not sure if their husbands were christians i kinda have my doubts because they were left in such vulnerable state...and their children dont seem to be walking in the Lord.well I dont really see them in church.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had to set my limits as well with the younger one as she kinda nagged me and was quite nosy about my life although I think she was just lonely and wanted someone to talk to. She has sons, not daughters. We have gone out to the movies a few times.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If she has children or siblings, she may ask them to help. My uncle is in a nursing home and one of his sisters and a brother are helping pay the expenses. He maxed out his Social Security, but it is not enough. His children want no part of helping him and one of them has refused to speak to him for years.

There are government programs such as Social Security and SNAP (food stamps). There may be a community food bank somewhere.

One widow you wrote about has a son living with her. If her mortgage is paid, she might be eligible for a reverse mortgage that could bring her additional income. That would potentially lessen the value of any estate her heirs would inherit, but if they will not help her financially, she might like this option.

I am 57 and went to online dating. I am financially secure and wanted to share my home with someone. I met a 55 year old widow who has two children under the age of 18 living at home. We have been dating two months and talking about marriage and me moving to her place. We plan to date another four months before making a decision. Earlier I wrote to her that I was not against trying to help a widow and fatherless children. I had not planned for this to happen. An online article stated that 50% of women who are widows at the age of 65 will remarry. Another article stated widows outnumber widowers 4 to 1.

If she ever has to go to a nursing home or can't take care of her home properly, I think she loses her home then as well. It could help but has some negative results as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering if theres any practical advice for looking after widows.

Have a widowed lady in church and been asked to help her with her garden, me and another church member have been going once a week to clear her backyard.

Shes recovering from an operation and so she cant really do much at all and is housebound.

The only thing is I noticed that widows can be set in their ways and hold on to all their stuff!!! To the point where it almost becomes a huge mountain! We are not going to touch whats inside her house, but is kind of overwhelming to us esp when she says she wants to sell the house and move.

Another widowed lady that I know has a house too big for her again and cant sell to a smaller place cos her son still lives with her and shes constantly talking about it but it wont happen and shes always battling with the next door neighbours tree.

How do you deal with widows? Sometimes its like they just stuck in this place, and its probably reminding them too much of their husbands who have passed away.

I think the Lord will honor and bless you for helping this widow out. What you are doing by helping her is the right thing to do. On the other hand you are not responsible for fixing her life or telling her what she should have or not have based on your opinion.

Just stay focused on helping her where you can and you will be a huge blessing.

• Agree
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes its kinda tempting to say to people who are broken well heres how it can be fixed! But broken people might go to you with their pieces and say hey fix this but often dont want to hear how they can look after themselves so they wont make the same mistake again.

Im not saying this is true of widows but recall someone who was a divorceee and she wanted to marry again and she would tell me all about the guy she was sweet on (who wasnt a believer) and i was thinking oh no, dont even go there lady...it will just compound whatver misery she was having but she really wanted to rush headlong into another relationship. Thankfully God stopped her but she couldnt see that her she was kind of responisble for the mess she was in and really expecting me to pick up the pieces. It didnt have anything to do with me.. i had to remember that!

I remember thinking to stop her from pining over her 'crush' hmm I could just call the guy and say, hey so and so likes you, give her an answer so she knows exactly where she stands cos Im tired of hearing about it. But I didnt. Eventually she stopped calling me for things when I wouldnt drop everything and do stuff she was kind of demanding me to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I nearly quit last week going helping when the widow came out and started bossing me around saying do this do that, no..over there...lol. She kinda got mad at me for moving her pots when I was weeding her plot but they had to go sòmewhere!! Shes the kind of lady who expects you to know everything already and I think its cos she used to be a school teacher.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just see a lady who has some areas of unforgiveness in her life, she was doing far too much and not allowing her children to help her, and ended up alienating them, therefore she must now rely on strangers to help..and she's not liking it that much either.

I don't know if that's accurate but that's what I'm seeing.

Had another friend helping her widowed mother - the sensible thing would be to move into the daughters home as she's got the room right? or even nearby. But no the mother wants to stay in her own place which is like an hour away so the daughter must travel back and forth each week to see her. She's got her brothers living with her looking after her mum but STILL needs home help. Then she says to me 'I'm afraid that when the house is sold the brothers won't look after the place' but hello... they live there?!

Anyway. She ALREADY has her own place, so why would she care about what her brothers do with theirs that they've inherited.

I don't understand those family dynamics where the children just don't want to look after their own parents, but then make it thus harder for everyone else...because presumably those people who are home helpers have their OWN families to look after too. It's taking time away from them as well.

?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
am going to have a break from helping the widow tomorrow as, she has all this scrap in the backyard that needs to go into a skip, but she's one of these people who can never let anything go. Even if it's scrap. She hasn't organised a skip.

But if she doesn't organise one, and we do, what looks like junk to us will probably be precious to her. Although there's a pile in the yard waiting that can fill up ONE skip, there is enough in the house to fill up about three. Honestly.

How is she ever going to move into a cottage at the retirement village when she has a 3 bedroom house chock fill and doesn't even want to let go of her plastic plant labels?!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think it is great that you are trying to help widows! Yes, they can be cranky. Another route is to visit them in nursing homes. If you have a pet, and the nursing home allows it to come along, they will love you even more. One nice thing about nursing home visitations is that you can do them to fit your own schedule.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I haven't visited any (except my own grandparents) in nursing homes. I did try to visit a widow in retirement village as she was always asking me but she was never home lol. I gave up.
Also it was a big maze there, like apartments. Could get lost.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good point about pets if widows have pets and look after them well its a sign they have a heart or at least a soft spot and they aren't overwhelmingly lonely and have nobody to talk to.

I have heard of pet outreach the SPCA runs these and suggested to one of my friends to do this, often is done with well behaved dogs but I'm sure people do with cats, birds, rabbits etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.