Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
No, I don't necessarily mean Bibles rewritten in PC lingo per se, but I have seen numerous study Bibles out there but none of them ever seem to be put together by liberal Chrisitians. (I currently have 3, the student Bible, The Women's Bible II, and the Couples' Bible)

Do any of the more liberal denominations put out their own study Bibles, or are there any generic non-denominational liberal study Bibles in existence?

Thanks! :D

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
GreenPartyVoter said:
No, I don't necessarily mean Bibles rewritten in PC lingo per se, but I have seen numerous study Bibles out there but none of them ever seem to be put together by liberal Chrisitians. (I currently have 3, the student Bible, The Women's Bible II, and the Couples' Bible)

Do any of the more liberal denominations put out their own study Bibles, or are there any generic non-denominational liberal study Bibles in existence?

Thanks! :D
Why are there women's bibles or men's bibles? What makes them women or men's bibles anyway? Just wondering.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...but some of them, such as the Oxford Study Bible, the New International Version, and the Cambridge Annotated Study Bible are much despised among conservatives -- possibly because they prefer "accuracy in translation" over "pretty language which keeps certain groups in their places". ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
leecappella said:
Why are there women's bibles or men's bibles? What makes them women or men's bibles anyway? Just wondering.
Well, they have little articles inside that are pointed more towards men or women depending on what type of Bible it is. Also, in the study notes, these Bibles will point out verses that have to do with one sex or the other.

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Piano Player said:
I find the Oxford Study Bible a refreshing take on biblical interpretation. It combines historical context, Archaeology, authorship provenance, and many other useful tools in interpreting the Bible.
The Oxford Study and the Jerusalem Bile are the two (of many) that I find most usefull.

I don't think the problems are in the translations (some are atrocious on both sides of the political divide), but in how we use the teaching.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jette said:
what is a liberal translation? do you mean one to "fit" the modern times? a translation is accurate, or less accurate, what is liberal about it?

I tend to agree with this. Liberal beliefs are more often rooted in fundamentally different hermeneutics than in any dispute over what a word is... That said, I think a more accurate translation will almost always be seen as "liberal", because becoming more accurate implies change...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starstreak M86

Atheist Turned Christian
Apr 21, 2004
Visit site
✟8,749.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Liberal Bibles? Why do we need one? Is the Bible somehow "conservative"?

I believe that the Bible is neither Liberal nor Conservative.

(I am a Moderate/Liberal Christian, BTW, and I read the Concordant Literal New Testament Bible) :wave:

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Bingley said:
Don't most translations do this nowadays? I know my NRSV and NIV do, the NRSV rather more often than the NIV seems to.
Actually, I think that it depends on the version of the translation. A Bible for academic study probably will. A liturgical Bible may not since the person reading the Bible will read the translation without worrying about the alternatives. A study Bible with a lot of interpretation already done for you probably won't.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.