Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I lack a specific denomination, and my place of worship is of a non-denominational nature. However, reading about the forum as I do, I came across a post in The Junk Drawer, where someone mentioned their church ( Catholic denomination ) holds Mass 5 days a week at noon, which led me to think: Can I just... Hang out at church? My own church is open from 9am-4pm and closed in the evenings except for groups. I find myself desiring a space for leisure that isn't within my home. The notion of being able to visit my church at any hour, carrying my Bible, and engaging in reading and study appeals to me. I envision an environment free from group obligations or structured events; just an opportunity to show up, unwind, and connect with God and other believers. It would be a space where conversations about the Bible and faith could naturally unfold among fellow congregants. The absence of time constraints or sermons, along with a warm welcome extended to all, would encourage individuals to convene and delve into discussions about faith for as long as they desire. Naturally, the expectation would be to tidy up after yourself as a display of common sense and courtesy. But alas... Why not? Is that weird? I feel like it's weird.

I know I can take my Bible anywhere, and you bet I do. It caused me to have my bag re-scanned twice and eventually opened by TSA last week. Fun pro-tip I learned, big books should be taken out of your bags and placed with your shoes because it can cause you issues. But the notion of visiting the church solely to relax like you would parks, beaches, or cafes has got my puzzler puzzled. The idea of spontaneously spending time at the church without any formal agenda feels like it's just not allowed. Or at least not usual. I know I've had to show up several times to drop things off and I swear I saw a tumbleweed rolling through. But why not?

Do any of you have any insights into this matter? Have you experienced similar sentiments?

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Although I’m not Catholic many of their parishes are open for Eucharistic adoration during the week and I find their facilities to be a great place to pray and just meditate on God.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Although I’m not Catholic many of their parishes are open for Eucharistic adoration during the week and I find their facilities to be a great place to pray and just meditate on God.
I think that's what the person was referring to, but what I mean is simply spending time together casually. It's interesting that you can go almost anywhere with your Bible on a Thursday morning to read and discuss His word, so why not at church?

All the times I've been to my church during non-service or group hours, it's a ghost town except for staff in their meetings. It leads me to think that it's not something that happens. I imagine there must be a reason for it, but that reason is lost on me. And then I thought about it more and I thought, why not? Is it weird? Is it wrong to do so? If it's 'just a building', then why can't we utilize the building for the purpose it was built for? Is it because it's not 'our' building, thus we can't just use it all willy nilly?

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think that's what the person was referring to, but what I mean is simply spending time together casually. It's interesting that you can go almost anywhere with your Bible on a Thursday morning to read and discuss His word, so why not at church?

All the times I've been to my church during non-service or group hours, it's a ghost town except for staff in their meetings. It leads me to think that it's not something that happens. I imagine there must be a reason for it, but that reason is lost on me. And then I thought about it more and I thought, why not? Is it weird? Is it wrong to do so? If it's 'just a building', then why can't we utilize the building for the purpose it was built for? Is it because it's not 'our' building, thus we can't just use it all willy nilly?

You can if you want to. As long as the priest is okay with it. But you need to be careful about going into a Catholic Church and discussing the bible with them. Protestants oftentimes discuss the bible and its meaning, but the meaning of the bible in a Catholic Church is settled.

Reactions: Plenipotent
Upvote 0

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can if you want to. As long as the priest is okay with it. But you need to be careful about going into a Catholic Church and discussing the bible with them. Protestants oftentimes discuss the bible and its meaning, but the meaning of the bible in a Catholic Church is settled.
Do you personally feel like it's weird to do so?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you personally feel like it's weird to do so?

There's nothing weird about it at all. I think most Catholic Churches have pews people can sit on. There's nothing wrong with sitting in a Church and praying and meditating. People do it all the time.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It would really depend on the church. Most congregations don't spend time in a church outside something organized. But if you wanted to relax there on your own, they probably wouldn't mind but you'd have to talk to the leaders & get their permission. It's 'open for everyone' & 'just a building', yes, but every place 'open for everyone' & 'just a building' still has rules & limits.

Spending leisure time in the sanctuary is usually frowned upon, but churches I've attended usually have libraries, study rooms, rec rooms, etc.

I'm sure some of it isn't quite how you're imagining it is b/c a lot of churches are very very big, & outside something organized, it's just hard to trust people are using it correctly. (like theft of equipment for example)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I lack a specific denomination, and my place of worship is of a non-denominational nature. However, reading about the forum as I do, I came across a post in The Junk Drawer, where someone mentioned their church ( Catholic denomination ) holds Mass 5 days a week at noon, which led me to think: Can I just... Hang out at church? My own church is open from 9am-4pm and closed in the evenings except for groups. I find myself desiring a space for leisure that isn't within my home. The notion of being able to visit my church at any hour, carrying my Bible, and engaging in reading and study appeals to me. I envision an environment free from group obligations or structured events; just an opportunity to show up, unwind, and connect with God and other believers. It would be a space where conversations about the Bible and faith could naturally unfold among fellow congregants. The absence of time constraints or sermons, along with a warm welcome extended to all, would encourage individuals to convene and delve into discussions about faith for as long as they desire. Naturally, the expectation would be to tidy up after yourself as a display of common sense and courtesy. But alas... Why not? Is that weird? I feel like it's weird.

I know I can take my Bible anywhere, and you bet I do. It caused me to have my bag re-scanned twice and eventually opened by TSA last week. Fun pro-tip I learned, big books should be taken out of your bags and placed with your shoes because it can cause you issues. But the notion of visiting the church solely to relax like you would parks, beaches, or cafes has got my puzzler puzzled. The idea of spontaneously spending time at the church without any formal agenda feels like it's just not allowed. Or at least not usual. I know I've had to show up several times to drop things off and I swear I saw a tumbleweed rolling through. But why not?

Do any of you have any insights into this matter? Have you experienced similar sentiments?
Sometimes I enjoy stopping in at my parish just for some quiet meditative time in prayer or to help really focus my thoughts on God. If that's the kind of thing you're looking to do you're always welcome to stop in at a Catholic Church and do so, generally speaking most Catholic parishes are open all day and people often take advantage of the quiet serenity in the Church to get in some extra prayer, maybe read some scripture or practice their devotions.

Sacred space is invaluable, physically crossing the threshold into a church helps us mentally transition out of the chaos of the profane secular world and into the presence of God.

Now if by "hang out" you mean you want to use your time in a church to do something unrelated to the faith, then I would say don't do that in a Catholic Church. It would be considered inappropriate and inconsiderate in the very least, if not sacrilegious.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I enjoy stopping in at my parish just for some quiet meditative time in prayer or to help really focus my thoughts on God. If that's the kind of thing you're looking to do you're always welcome to stop in at a Catholic Church and do so, generally speaking most Catholic parishes are open all day and people often take advantage of the quiet serenity in the Church to get in some extra prayer, maybe read some scripture or practice their devotions.

Sacred space is invaluable, physically crossing the threshold into a church helps us mentally transition out of the chaos of the profane secular world and into the presence of God.

Now if by "hang out" you mean you want to use your time in a church to do something unrelated to the faith, then I would say don't do that in a Catholic Church. It would be considered inappropriate and inconsiderate in the very least, if not sacrilegious.
That’s pretty awesome. People s/ do that more often.

I suppose you can always do it in your home, but sometimes you need to go to the House of God in times of trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That’s pretty awesome. People s/ do that more often.

I suppose you can always do it in your home, but sometimes you need to go to the House of God in times of trouble.
I agree, it's kind of like going to a library or a coffee shop to study: you do it because you're getting to distracted at home or elsewhere. If I step into my parish for a few minutes, my ability to focus on my prayers and dwell on the Lord dials up to 11. It's pretty great.

Upvote 0

merseyferrier

Sep 21, 2006
Alabama
✟16,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I was a teenager, I was the soundman and had keys to the church -- so I'd go there frequently to read, especially after school. Back then my mom was babysitting until the early evening, so there were toddlers and babies at the house. My best friend and I would get coffee at the gas station and just hang around in one of the rooms, too, or play basketball. We didn't go into the sanctuary, though. At my current church I don't have keys, but I often walk there during my lunch hour (it's a block away from where I work) and eat my lunch in the courtyard.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0