SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Athletes are privileged, no matter what race. They absolutely are. I'm not saying they're privileged without merit, talent, or work. But you bet they are privileged. They are usually millionaires and sometimes multi-millionaires.
Athletes are not usually millionaires, star athletes perhaps, but not most athletes.

They are also not always the sharpest academic tool in the shed. This is true regardless of race, btw. But then they are not employed for their academic prowess, same as rocket scientists are not employed for their ability to shoot baskets. So I'm not seeing how this is racist.
Nothing he said was incorrect or related to academia, thus talking about his intelligence is not germane to the conversation. Moreover, citing his lack of a college degree (incorrectly saying he lacks a high school dimploma) is meant to belittle his intelligence something that is often done to black athletes.

Able but unintelligent: including positively stereotyped black subgroups in the stereotype content model.
...perceptions of groups that are positively stereotyped (i.e., Black athletes and musical Blacks). Consistent with the stereotype content model, these subgroups were perceived as high in competence-talent but not in competence-intelligence and low in warmth.
Theorizing on the Stereotyping of Black Male Student-Athletes
Since the nineteenth century and still today, lingering stereotypic beliefs about Blacks depict them as athletically superior while intellectually inferior to Whites (Harrison, 2001; Harrison et al., 2002; Harrison & Lawrence, 2004; Kane, 1971; Miller, 1998; Sailes, 1993; Wiggins, 1989).
For instance, Black student-athletes have voiced concerns that racism is manifested in Blacks being (a) stereotyped as more athletic but less intelligent and as a result denied access to leadership positions on and off the playing field, and (b) treated differently than White student-athletes (Lawrence, 2005; Singer, 2005).

The belittling and minimization of black athletes is nothing new, they're used to being told to shut their mouths. That's one reason Muhammad Ali was vilified, he didn't let them keep him quiet. And while the black athlete is told to shut up, what about Lou Holtz, Mike Ditka, John Daly, and a collection of other professional athletes that speak in favor of the current president?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When does that happen? You have Nugent, Brady and... I think that's it. And only one of those is even popular.

Well, there's POTUS himself and Saint Ronald before him

And then there are the guys I mentioned before: Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck, who have zero credentials to speak of aside from their skill at manipulating their audiences.

Among other celebrities, IIRC, Charles Barkley has some right-wing inclinations. There's also Scott Baio, Antonio Sabato Jr, Clint Eastwood, Steven Seagal, the Duck Dynasty guy...

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And then there are the guys I mentioned before: Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck, who have zero credentials to speak of aside from their skill at manipulating their audiences.

Those are pundits like Maddow, etc.

Among other celebrities, IIRC, Charles Barkley has some right-wing inclinations.

Oh, right, I forgot that the Root claimed he was a white-nationalist for... reasons.

There's also Scott Baio, Antonio Sabato Jr, Clint Eastwood, Steven Seagal, the Duck Dynasty guy...

I know two of those people, but seriously, aside from Eastwood's weird chair thingy, how many of them have been that openly political, and how many get up on stage and rant about it at a show or premiere, etc.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Those are pundits like Maddow, etc.

Sure, but I specifically called out those three because they had absolutely zero qualifications outside of broadcasting. IIRC, Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar and has a PhD in Poli Sci from Oxford; O'Reilly has a Masters from the Kennedy School of Government; Ingraham, Coulter, Megyn Kelly, and several other pundits have JDs. Not that that means a ton, but it's at least <something> compared to the three unqualified drop-outs.

I know two of those people, but seriously, aside from Eastwood's weird chair thingy, how many of them have been that openly political, and how many get up on stage and rant about it at a show or premiere, etc.

Baio, Sabato, and to a lesser degree the Duck Dynasty guy are all nobodies, but they all spoke at the last RNC. I think Eastwood was at the one before that. Seagal had a tv show with Joe Arpaio and he's been pretty open about his love for Mother Russia.

Upvote 0