Ladies, Does How You Dress Cause Men to Lust?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible does not give dress codes for Christian women.
The Bible does not give us a list of do's and don'ts for trivial, stupid, mundane stuff like clothing, food, and the like.

If I may beg to differ, strutting one's stuff in a bikini, as long as one is not displaying this world's wealth, expensive jewelry and the like, is technically biblical with a respectable head covering (possibly for reason of anonymity).

Although, it could be argued that this wouldn't be true to the spirit of Paul's guidelines, which in turn could be argued to be an argument against the spirit of Paul's teachings against legalism. Regardless, I think it's fair to not regulate women on dress and modesty any more than I wish to be regulated, which is not at all, effectively settling the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In describing the mode of dress appropriate for women in church, the apostle Paul exhorts them to dress "modestly" with "decency and propriety" then goes on to contrast immodest dress with the good deeds which are appropriate for those who profess to be true worshipers of God (1 Timothy 2:9–10).
The term modest is one that involves respect and reflecting their proper place. The context speaks of not having excessive decoration. It doesn't appear that preventing men from lusting was actually the intent of this passage.

Furthermore, the term "lust" in Mat 5:28 is normally translated "covet." It means desiring what isn't yours. That part of Mat 5 is interpretations of the 10 commandments. This one is adultery. So Jesus is actually talking about someone who desires another person's wife. He is not advocating suppression of feelings of attraction.

Finally, the OP is a classic anti-female posting. It blames the woman for men's feelings. This kind of reasoning leads to burqas.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That most men don't seem to meet the standard you expressed. When you mention your industry, is it fashion or some other?

Most is misleading. No one selects from the whole. Once you factor in your desires and preferences the field narrows. You're looking for suitors who bear those qualities and interact within those parameters. God doesn't require most. He needs one candidate. That's enough.

~bella

Upvote 0