leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That may be a while at the rate I'm going but sure. ^_^ I've got like 69 rows done... in a month... lol I'll finish by spring thaw I'm sure (seeing as how in my part of the country that's May... I think I can manage).

LOL ... stick with it. You will get there.:D

Blessings

Leytonstones:wave:

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟25,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a new knitter! I taught myself with a "Knitting for Dummies" book, then took an "advanced beginner" class at a local independant yarn shop. After that, the owner helped me pick out a pattern and get me started. After doing a doll sweater from start to finish in the class, my first adult sized project (spring vest) is an easy lace pattern. I've finished the lace (lace until just under the bust, then stockingette) and started shaping the armholes of the back. It's in a lovely varigated cotton.

Upvote 0

Greenthumb

So many seeds...so little time!
Feb 20, 2005
Greenthumb's Garden
✟69,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello fellow knitters! :wave: Hmm...I'm a wee bit slow. I had no idea this thread was here. I am currently working on a baby blanket using up odds and ends of baby yarn. BarbaraJean has dubbed it the 'Sherbet Blankie'. I'm working it in a wave pattern.

Upvote 0

Greenthumb

So many seeds...so little time!
Feb 20, 2005
Greenthumb's Garden
✟69,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm a new knitter! I taught myself with a "Knitting for Dummies" book, then took an "advanced beginner" class at a local independant yarn shop. After that, the owner helped me pick out a pattern and get me started. After doing a doll sweater from start to finish in the class, my first adult sized project (spring vest) is an easy lace pattern. I've finished the lace (lace until just under the bust, then stockingette) and started shaping the armholes of the back. It's in a lovely varigated cotton.
Good for you! :) Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see your projects. Actually I'd like to see anyone's projects.

Upvote 0

majorgen

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
✟16,809.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone - I'm not much of a knitter. I know only the simple things about it, like the regular stitch and the pearl stitch. About 20 years ago, I'm guessing now, I got this idea about making a blanket. Didn't know how big it would be, but wanted designs on it and names. Practiced on small squares to get a sense of size for the letters and to get a count for the stitches. Same for the designs. I landed up with three sections. Left side had two names, top and bottom with a design in the center to separate the names. The center section had our last name. The right side had the other two names with the similar design separating them. Then each section was like sewn together with the yarn to make the blanket complete, with tassels on top and bottom. Counting as I go and writing things down to remember what I did. The pearl stitch which was raised, you were able to see the designs and the lettering in the blanket. When I got done doing this, it was big enough for a queen size bed and took me 9 months to complete it. Now I don't remember where I put all that info; it's somewhere in the house. Maybe someday I'll find it again and make another one when I retire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoshuaM

Veteran
Jul 15, 2006
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I haven't seen many knitters around here, but maybe you're just all in hiding waiting for a thread to pop up that will let you unravel a bit! ;)

What are you knitting right now?

Me? I just finished the Coronet hat from knitty.com and am about to move on to the shimmer shrug (same website). Gotta love those free downloadable patterns!

do you know if knitting is a good ebay business? my girlfriend is interested in learning new things and maybe she will be interested.

Upvote 0

LuvAslan

[Insert clever/inspiring/funny phrase here]
Jun 12, 2006
Colby, Kansas
✟21,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just learned how to knit last night. Since I don't have needles, I used pencils. Not a great idea. so I started over using crcochet needles. they work better. I''m still gonna get knitting needles though. I'm not really making anything right now. it's just practice I'm doing.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I started knitting last Feb. and I knit a teddy bear scarf. I just got home form my 2nd official knitting class and I am working on a hat sampler. I can knit, pearl, stockinette and I am sruggling with seed stitch, very frustrating. I also just tried out bamboo needles and I love them. I can get very frustrated. Need prayer and encouragement. Next week we start a cell phone case if we are done the hat! I am 25% done, yikes > :help:
J

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The seed stitch is knit one, pearl one, right? I found it easier to do that on an uneven number of stitches, that way each row starts with the same thing I ended it with.

Yes, and I have been taught to use odd # stitches. It is knit over purl. Today I learned ribbing, knit over kinit and purl over purl. So, things are getting better, I must make sure not to knit for more than an hour at a time and not too late at night. BIG difference.
Going to make a card for mothers day, another new hobby is card making.
God Bless, J

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeandFaith4God

Apr 20, 2007
Connecticut
Visit site
✟8,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
hello everyone ,
I'm a knitter but i'm looking for a pattern for knitted mitten's.. Nothing to hard i'm not a great knitter at all but my gram had the pattern but I never got it. And now in hopes that i could find something that I can actually do.. Please if you have anything close to "Easy Knitting Mittens " please send my way .. I would be ever so grateful.
Thank you
God Bless
{Faith}

Upvote 0

HopeandFaith4God

Apr 20, 2007
Connecticut
Visit site
✟8,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here's something easy to make if you are a beginner... This was my very first thing that I ever knitted.... Hope you enjoy this one...

Knitted cap and mittens for baby

Getting Started

Skill Level: Easy

Finished Sizes:
Mittens: 2 1/2 x 4 inches
Cap: 18 x 11 inches

Related Article: Common Knitting Abbreviations Related Article: Knitting 101

What You Need
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Sport-weight, Article 660, (435 yards per ball): One ball of Fisherman (099) for MC
Lion Brand, Wool-Ease, Article 620, worsted-weight yarn, (197 yards per ball): One ball of Cranberry (138) for CC
Size 4 (3.5 mm) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
Tapestry needle

Gauge
In St st, 6 sts and 8 rows = 1 inch/2.5 cm. TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE!

Special Abbreviations
Ssk: Slip next 2 sts knitwise one at a time to right-hand needle, insert tip of left needle into fronts of these two sts and k them together.

Instructions

Mittens (make 2)
With MC, cast on 30 sts. *Leaving 8-inch tails when joining colors, with MC, p 1 row, k 1 row, p 1 row. With CC, k 1 row. For Body Pattern, rep from * for 6 total times. P 1 row with MC.

Top Shaping
Row 1: Maintaining stripe pattern, (ssk, k11, k2tog) twice.
Row 2: P26.
Row 3: (Ssk, k9, k2tog) twice.
Row 4: P22.
Row 5: (K2tog) across.
Row 6: P11. Leaving a 12-inch tail, cut yarn. Thread into tapestry needle and back through rem sts, twice.

Mitten Finishing
Take all tails to outside. Matching stripes, tie each of the 4 tails together in an overhand knot all along side edge. Trim to 1/2 inch. With tail from top, sew along side edge. Let lower edge roll naturally.

Cap
Leaving a long tail, with MC, cast on 120 sts.
Row 1 and each following WS row: P 1 row.
Row 2: K28, k2tog, ssk, k56, k2tog, ssk, k28-116 sts.
Row 4: K27, k2tog, ssk, k54, k2tog, ssk, k27-112 sts.
Rows 6-19: Cont in St st on the 112 sts using MC.
Row 20: With MC, k11, (k2tog, k20) 4 times, k2tog, k11-107 sts. Note: When joining new color, leave 8-inch tails at side edges.
Row 21: P 1 row with MC.
Row 22: K with CC.
Row 23: P with MC.
Row 24: K with MC.
Row 25: P with MC.
Row 26: K with CC.
Row 27: P with MC.
Row 28: With MC, (k19, k2tog) 5 times, k2.
Row 29: P102 with MC.
Rows 30-31: Rep Rows 22-23.
Row 32: With MC, (k18, k2tog) 5 times, k2.
Row 33: With MC, p97.
Rows 34-35: Rep Rows 22-23.
Row 36: With MC, (k17, k2tog) 5 times, k2.
Row 37: With MC, p92.
Continue in 4-row stripe pattern, dec 5 sts evenly spaced on each MC knit row until 12 sts rem.
Next Row: K2tog across. P6. Cut yarn, leaving an 8-inch tail. Thread into tapestry needle and back through sts. Draw up to close opening. Sew to first stripe row.

Finishing Cap
Take all tails to outside. Matching stripes, tie each of the 4 tails together in an overhand knot all along side edge. With beginning tail at lower edge, join MC rows up to first stripe. Let this portion form a natural roll.

Pom-Pom
Wind CC around a credit card 25 times; carefully remove card. Tie a separate strand around center, tightly. Cut ends. Trim and sew to tip of cap.

Upvote 0