Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is anyone aware that a fungal infection is spreading in the USA? It is also resistant to medication.

"A deadly fungal infection called Candida auris, with a death rate of 60 percent, is spreading rapidly across the US. It comes as Washington confirmed its first cases last month."

Our news ain't so scary.

Reactions: Nithavela

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is anyone aware that a fungal infection is spreading in the USA? It is also resistant to medication.

"A deadly fungal infection called Candida auris, with a death rate of 60 percent, is spreading rapidly across the US. It comes as Washington confirmed its first cases last month."

Our news ain't so scary.

It's mostly a 'hospital disease' spread by lax infection control. Pick your hospital well and you have no worries for the near future.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's mostly a 'hospital disease' spread by lax infection control. Pick your hospital well and you have no worries for the near future.
Thanks for this comment. It helps ease my anxiety.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our news ain't so scary.

It was first identified in 2009 and has been on the radar for a while now. The workaround seems to be the usual quarantine and wash your hands, and keep wounds clean. Healthy people with strong immune systems generally survive infection. But this is part of a broader trend of anti-microbial resistance that now kills 700000 people annually around the world. Another way that old, weak or sick people will be culled in the modern era. The 60% number is probably because it occurs in hospitals among people already sick with something else. Not sure that number is valid for the general population.

There is no vaccine or antibiotic for a fungal infection but I understand they have been doing some research with mice for this one.

See the below article from 2016

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for this comment. It helps ease my anxiety.
There's been umpteen killer virus, bacteria or fungus that have made headlines. You're probably a thousand times more likely to die in a car accident or some other accident.

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's been umpteen killer virus, bacteria or fungus that have made headlines. You're probably a thousand times more likely to die in a car accident or some other accident.
The fear here is more about the trends in microbial resistance. The hope is that all the research being done will find a cure before matters come to a head.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fear here is more about the trends in microbial resistance. The hope is that all the research being done will find a cure before matters come to a head.
This is for information and to be mindful that there are still bugs out there that can kill. A video that informed me about this said I can get the fungus on me from blood pressure cuffs and if I happen to have a cut that's when it is harmful.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is for information and to be mindful that there are still bugs out there that can kill. A video that informed me about this said I can get the fungus on me from blood pressure cuffs and if I happen to have a cut that's when it is harmful.
Just find a hospital and clinic that do stringent infection control procedures and for now you will be just fine. Problem is that doctors are humans too and they get sloppy from time to time like the rest of us. And all the really nasty bugs show up sooner or later at hospitals and clinics.

On the hopeful side, Bubonic Plague killed a big chunk of the population of Europe way back when. It's still around out in the wild all over the place. But it's rare and easily treated. It COULD in theory go crazy again, but we are able to stop it with treatments and quarantines to the point that in reality it is a minor thing.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just find a hospital and clinic that do stringent infection control procedures and for now you will be just fine.
I wonder if this is like a staph infection that you hear about in hospitals. Unfortunately, we only have one hospital and the saying around here is if you want to die go to GCRC.

Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you really want to be scared, this is the thing:

if that spreads in the US, we have a big, big problem

as for regular TB, migrants are bringing it into the country: there could be hundreds of thousands of infected individuals from south-of-the-border inside our country now

I caught TB when I was in my 20s, when I was working as a teacher in an inner-city-school. It almost killed me, and I spent 8 months on antibiotics. Had lung damage that lasted for 10+ years.

(I was also blacklisted from teaching in public schools ever again --positive TB test will do that. Had to change careers)

a lot of people are going to get sick

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard a couple of years back there were cases in California brought by illegal immigrants. I have TB but dormant.
We shouldn't be worried about things like COVID

we should be worried about TB spreading and getting out-of-control. And no one is talking about it.

because if they did start talking about it, the attention would shift to migrants ...

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

we should be worried about TB spreading and getting out-of-control. And no one is talking about it.

because if they did start talking about it, the attention would shift to migrants ...
I agree about COVID-19 I've had it three times and since I'm trying to stay healthy the effects weren't that bad. I heard about this fungus and wanted to let people know thanks for bringing up TB. Bottom line we just need to get healthy and take precautions mainly hand washing.

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Not very politically correct to talk about it. There are lots of diseases like that these days.

Yes, the TB does scare me. Gain of function research scares me. Having an accident and being taken to an infected hospital scares me. But realistically just driving a car should scare me more.

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It looks like cases have been around for a while

It also looks like there was a time when these infections were more treatable with the 3 classes of anti-fungal drugs

But as the OP article mentions, a few strains are becoming resistant.

However, I don't know if it's clear whether or not the resistance is stemming from they refer to as "phylogenetic relationships" with other strains that were already resistant, or if misuse of the drugs in the past had a hand in creating more resistance.

The silver lining is that it would seem there's some promising ongoing research into the matter involving using adjunct drugs along side the traditional anti-fungal drugs.

• Agree
Upvote 0