Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. But if you're wearing them because you're going to a party and you think that's a simple way to define 'Mexican' together with a black Pancho Villa stuck-on moustache and a funny accent then you just look an idiot. So I'd advise against it.
What if I was Mexican?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course. But just because WE just ignored it doesn't mean it wasn't really important to someone else.

It was really important to someone else.

The author. Like yourself, he seems to think his criticism of clothing is something good or even wanted.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I bet you can't find any complaints about English knight outfits, Or Scottish kilt etc outfits. Or German lederhosen etc outfits. Or probably any European cultural outfit worn by someone who's not of that culture.
A knight outfit? Are you talking knights of the round table armour? That's just...armour. Knights just get a medal. They don't dress up. Although they probably wear a suit when the king taps them on the shoulder And you may very well have a problem with some people if you wear a kilt as the pattern signifies your clan. So you better be wearing a generic kilt if you're in Scotland.

Lederhosen? Ask a Bavarian. I have no idea.
That's because you're not an American Indian.
No. Obviously. And I'm not going to get offended on behalf of someone else. It's up to Native Americans to tell you whether they think it's inappropriate or not. But just seeing the picture of that kid and you knew immediately what the discussion was going to be about. And it's a reasonable discussion to have.

My position is that if I'd been at the game and I'd seen some adults wearing those headdresses then I would immediately think that that might be seen as inappropriate by some people. And I certainly wouldn't do it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No I didn't read that person's tweet, I read the original official statement. Does not endorse is a long ways from condemns.

To be clear this is Kenneth Khan in full native American regalia....

GAULlCfWgAAOWGI.jpeg.jpg

....pretty funny.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was astonished that the little fella was called out as being racist. But I was also astonished to find out that his grandfather was a tribal elder. What on earth was his dad thinking?

He was probably thinking about how his kid could wear it as part of dressing up to support his football team and celebrate his heritage at the same time.

He clearly wasn't aware one black race grifter and who knows how many "offended for others" woke white guys would try to cash in on the moment for political/personal gain.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What? Why on earth would you go to a party dressed as a cartoon Mexican if you are actually Mexican?

I've seen how Mexicans dress...

1701495370803.png

Cartoonish can be an apt description.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What? Why on earth would you go to a party dressed as a cartoon Mexican if you are actually Mexican?
Wait, you're calling traditional Mexican apparel cartoonish? Tisk, tisk, tisk. BTW I've been to Olvera Street many times and I'm sure it's a great place to buy a sombrero and poncho, from Mexicans. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a vendor selling fake mustaches too.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wait, you're calling traditional Mexican apparel cartoonish? Tisk, tisk, tisk. BTW I've been to Olvera Street many times and I'm sure it's a great place to buy a sombrero and poncho, from Mexicans. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a vendor selling fake mustaches too.
Bueno...parece que los duenos de tiendas no tienen ningun problema con eso.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bueno...parece que los duenos de tiendas no tienen ningun problema con eso.
You'd think having been born and raised in Los Angeles county I'd know some Spanish, but nope. Then again I remember Spanish kids not knowing it either and actually making fun of how it sounds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You'd think having been born and raised in Los Angeles county I'd know some Spanish, but nope. Then again I remember Spanish kids not knowing it either and actually making fun of how it sounds.
I did it in school. And still brush up on it now and then. I know enough to get into trouble. But probably not enough to get out of it...

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The real ones, yeah. If someone dresses like an English King or Knight, do the cultural appropriation folks complain about that?

I think the fact that the kid's grandfather is a tribal elder, shows that they aren't bothered by someone wearing an Indian headdress. And I don't think the kid was trying to represent his tribe. Anymore than if I wore a green bowler hat and a shamrock necklace on St. Patrick's day, I'd be trying to represent my Kelly Irish heritage. I'd just be wearing that stuff as a novelty for fun.

You keep informing opinions by things you think are logical when there is no factual basis for all of these things occurring but you've still conjured this up and now you logically deduce native Americans are ok with it.

It's all about how YOU apply logic.

That, or you could just listen to what the elders are saying. Cause maybe it isn't about you and your logic. You're just as bad as the white woke people you complain about; it's all about you.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You keep informing opinions by things you think are logical when there is no factual basis for all of these things occurring but you've still conjured this up and now you logically deduce native Americans are ok with it.
I've heard them talk about it and I've asked them questions in the past.
Not logic, understanding.
That, or you could just listen to what the elders are saying. Cause maybe it isn't about you and your logic. You're just as bad as the white woke people you complain about; it's all about you.
Ad hominem tisk tisk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. Brought up in the UK. Spent a lot of time in Spain when I lived there and again when we retired.
Catalan and Mexican Spanish are about as far removed from each other as American and Australian English.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Catalan and Mexican Spanish are about as far removed from each other as American and Australian English.
I've got a book somewhere on swearing in Spanish. There are some words and phrases that are quite inoccuous in one Spanish speaking country but crazy bad in another.

I was in Spain a few years back and in a bar somewhere late one evening and asked the barmaid for a small beer, which is 'una caña'. Or that's what I wanted to say. But I got my vowels mixed up and asked her for something quite crude. Couldn't apologise enough, but she thought it was hilarious and spent the next few minutes telling all the locals.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You're saying this like it's a bad thing.

Well logic is applied correctly or incorrectly.

That, or you could just listen to what the elders are saying.

Right...

Cause maybe it isn't about you and your logic. You're just as bad as the white woke people you complain about; it's all about you.

Wait...are you suggesting that it doesn't matter if it doesn't make any sense in a logical or rational way?

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If you've read my posts, you'd see that I am making space for the boy to be ignorant. Also, I said I was disappointed that dad didn't know and he bears more responsibility.

That said, you are the first person in my entire life who has told me that the way holding chopsticks is important. I'm not interested in upsetting anyone so let me know how I should hold them and I'll hold them that way. In the meantime, I'm wondering if you are equating the importance of chopsticks with a headdress?

Then I guess you missed the forest for the trees. The insult of improper chopsticks usage is but a minute inconsequential act that warrants no redress. To have the mentality that you're beholden to the customs of others is lunacy. And to beholden others to the same standards is double lunacy. The point was that outside of our own group, we cannot enforce cultural sensitivity. So long that the person does not use the custom as an insult. Which this case was well within sensibility.

Even within our own group we can't enforce it. Do you know how many ethnic Chinese don't follow cultural customs? How many insulted their own culture unknowingly? I see it everyday, from improper chopstick usage to language usage to dressing. Should there be news headlining these people as racist (regardless of age)? If not why should there be for others who appreciate our cultural items? They may not know the details and meaning of every cultural item but to adopt it for themselves is an honor not insult.

Of course. And it's informed by first person. So what's your point?

The point is you can't fully understand the true feeling of a group. Therefore to comment as though it is you do on their behalf is unwarranted. Your personal friends or acquaintances are not the representative of the whole. Maybe they are extremely sensitive people. They may take offence to the smallest of infraction. Yet there are many who don't. Then who is in the right? The fors or the againsts?

In Malaysia there is an advert by Apple to promote the iphone camera. It was plastered on a large signboard at the highway I use to go to work. It featured a native American performing a ceremonial dance in full regalia. Knowing that the headdress is only use for ceremonial purposes why is this native American doing a mock ceremonial dance with the headdress for a photoshoot? He is not performing the dance in accordance to cultural purpose. In fact it is for money and advertisement. Why no headlines?

Are you to take offense to this native American because of your knowledge in their customs? FYI you can google the image. It's a panoramic shot with a blue background with 3 dance poses.

1) It may speak to the quality of American education if folks have no idea about the importance of Native American headdresses. And given it is a part of the geographic and social history, I have a hard time believing that it was taught.

2) Tell you what. I'd be kind of upset if someone urinated on a Bible. I would expect most Christians would be upset by that. And we'd be upset about that because we believe the word of God to be sacred and that is disrespectful.

You're giving false equivalency here. Deliberate urinating on a Bible is meant as an insult. Wearing a headdress is not. It is a celebration of it. Like how I wear an Indian dhoti (which I have in my closet). I don't wear it to insult my Indian friends but as a sign of respect and love of their culture as they wear Chinese Cheongsam in return.

If you want to give equivalency make it a comparable one.

Some things carry actual meaning and significance to people. I understand the idea that there are DEFINITELY items that cultures should and could share and folks should feel welcome to; there are other things in Native American culture that they do share...and happily share. But I don't think there is anything AT ALL wrong with cultures holding sacred items and people outside of that culture respecting that.

Help me understand why you think that's hard or unfair

Again to some but not to the whole. Some could care less. So are we to be beholden to the most sensitive of them? Or practise logical thinking and use observation with contextual understanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

An update looks like a lawsuit might be incoming. Well serve them right. Serves them for tarnishing a kid. I hope the parents follow through and get every penny legally possible. Rotten media and their "journalists" deserve to parish into obscurity. It is not a momentary lapse in editorial integrity there is a long observable pattern to Deadspin. Let the company live up the the first part of their name for their articles reflected the latter part of the name.

Upvote 0