Lancaster
✟567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would like to know your thoughts on people who condone sin. I ask this question as it relates to Kevin Sorbo and his attitude towards homosexuality, reflecting a non-Christian attitude. I have come across various statements that he has made in his memoir True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life

He recounts early in his modeling career working around a homosexual. This what he had to say, "Very early in my modeling career I worked with a guy named Chris, a photographer in Dallas who openly gay. I’m straight. No big deal. I view sexuality as a private matter and I respect people’s privacy.

Sorbo thinks it is no big deal to be a homosexual? Then there is a statement from the Daily Beast where it makes it clear that he has no objection to homosexuality. "I don’t care what someone’s sexual preference is. That doesn’t bother me in the least.

I am very disappointed with Kevin Sorbo after watching several interviews where he expresses his apathy toward the sin of homosexuality because of his apparent contradiction in his stance. While he criticizes the cultural wave of 'wokeism' imposed on society, he also claims to have no issue with the LGBT community, stating that he has worked with gay individuals throughout his career without being bothered by their lifestyle. He has developed a level of desensitization due to his extensive exposure to a working environment where a substantial portion of his colleagues identify as homosexual. Witnessing what seems like apathy towards what I believe to be sin is disheartening. As Christians, we are called to be the salt of the earth and not to condone sinful behavior. Unfortunately, it appears that Sorbo is accepting homosexuality as moral, which goes against the teachings I hold dear. When someone like Kevin, I don't care if someone is gay or transgender, he is essentially saying to condone their lifestyles. No honest Christian would ever say I am not bothered by homosexuality or other sin.

I can't help but reflect on the story of Mary Magdalene, whom Jesus forgave but also instructed to 'go and sin no more.' We need to follow Jesus' example by addressing sin while showing love and compassion. In today's world, the challenges we face are partially due to individuals who claim to be Christian but are lukewarm in their attitude toward sin. Sorbo may want to convey his tolerance towards various lifestyles to be friendly and loving. However, if he is exhausted from the so-called 'woke' nonsense, I encourage him to acknowledge the biological reality that there are only two genders and that biological males cannot become females, and vice versa.

Then there is the issue of Sorbo and alcohol. As someone who identifies as a Christian, Sorbo's decision to promote and sell alcohol is disheartening, as it contradicts our faith's principles and teachings.

The Bible offers guidance on the topic of alcohol consumption, and several verses express caution and warn against its potential dangers. For example, Proverbs 20:1 states, "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." This verse highlights the deceptive nature of alcohol and its potential to lead people astray.

Furthermore, Ephesians 5:18 advises believers, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." This verse encourages us to seek spiritual fulfillment rather than excessive alcohol consumption.

It is disheartening to see someone like Kevin Sorbo, who has been regarded as a Christian role model, engage in a business that profits from an industry often associated with excess and negative consequences. The sole purpose of drinking alcoholic beverages is to impair one's sobriety, which can lead to poor decision-making and harmful actions.

Moreover, the Bible warns us about the love of money, stating in 1 Timothy 6:10, "For the love of money is the root of all evil." It is essential for individuals who claim to be followers of Christ to prioritize their spiritual values above financial gain.

The Bible offers guidance on the topic of alcohol consumption, and several verses express caution and warn against its potential dangers. For example, Proverbs 20:1 states, "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." This verse highlights the deceptive nature of alcohol and its potential to lead people astray.

The world could have more sober-minded people in the world instead of silly and obnoxious drunks.

If Sorbo is genuinely concerned about the trajectory of our nation, there are better ways for him to make a positive impact. Rather than profiting from alcohol, he could create content encouraging people to embrace qualities like godly masculinity, patriotism, and Christian virtues. These topics resonate with many and contribute to a more uplifting and virtuous society.

We must remember that the consumption of alcohol has been linked to numerous adverse outcomes, including accidents resulting in harm or loss of life. Such behavior can have devastating consequences, affecting individuals and innocent bystanders.

Kevin Sorbo's decision to sell a wine called "Christopher Street" on his website indicates his support for LGBT causes. The name "Christopher Street" is significant because it references the street in New York City where the Stonewall riots took place in 1969, considered a significant event in the history of the LGBT rights movement. By choosing to market and sell a bottle of wine with this name, Sorbo associates himself and his brand with the LGBT community and the historical struggle for LGBT rights. It suggests a willingness to support and acknowledge the LGBT community and its history.

Kevin Sorbo has built so much respect from Christians within the United States that he can do or say things that are not aligned with the Bible. For instance, he can celebrate "Pride Month" by waving the rainbow flag at an LGBT parade and still be considered a devout Christian who asked to speak on podcasts like the Babylon Bee. He is immune from any criticism.

Also, he often brags that he has atheists friends and I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 6:14
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

In summary, he has no issue with people who are homosexual or transgender, he consumes alcohol and associates with non-believers. How does make for a solid Christian?

Thank you for allowing me to share my perspective, and I would appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In summary, he has no issue with people who are homosexual or transgender, he consumes alcohol and associates with non-believers. How does make for a solid Christian?
Sounds like Jesus.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I would like to know your thoughts on people who condone sin. I ask this question as it relates to Kevin Sorbo and his attitude towards homosexuality, reflecting a non-Christian attitude. I have come across various statements that he has made in his memoir True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life

He recounts early in his modeling career working around a homosexual. This what he had to say, "Very early in my modeling career I worked with a guy named Chris, a photographer in Dallas who openly gay. I’m straight. No big deal. I view sexuality as a private matter and I respect people’s privacy.

Sorbo thinks it is no big deal to be a homosexual? Then there is a statement from the Daily Beast where it makes it clear that he has no objection to homosexuality. "I don’t care what someone’s sexual preference is. That doesn’t bother me in the least.

I am very disappointed with Kevin Sorbo after watching several interviews where he expresses his apathy toward the sin of homosexuality because of his apparent contradiction in his stance. While he criticizes the cultural wave of 'wokeism' imposed on society, he also claims to have no issue with the LGBT community, stating that he has worked with gay individuals throughout his career without being bothered by their lifestyle. He has developed a level of desensitization due to his extensive exposure to a working environment where a substantial portion of his colleagues identify as homosexual. Witnessing what seems like apathy towards what I believe to be sin is disheartening. As Christians, we are called to be the salt of the earth and not to condone sinful behavior. Unfortunately, it appears that Sorbo is accepting homosexuality as moral, which goes against the teachings I hold dear. When someone like Kevin, I don't care if someone is gay or transgender, he is essentially saying to condone their lifestyles. No honest Christian would ever say I am not bothered by homosexuality or other sin.

I can't help but reflect on the story of Mary Magdalene, whom Jesus forgave but also instructed to 'go and sin no more.' We need to follow Jesus' example by addressing sin while showing love and compassion. In today's world, the challenges we face are partially due to individuals who claim to be Christian but are lukewarm in their attitude toward sin. Sorbo may want to convey his tolerance towards various lifestyles to be friendly and loving. However, if he is exhausted from the so-called 'woke' nonsense, I encourage him to acknowledge the biological reality that there are only two genders and that biological males cannot become females, and vice versa.

Then there is the issue of Sorbo and alcohol. As someone who identifies as a Christian, Sorbo's decision to promote and sell alcohol is disheartening, as it contradicts our faith's principles and teachings.

Furthermore, Ephesians 5:18 advises believers, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." This verse encourages us to seek spiritual fulfillment rather than excessive alcohol consumption.

It is disheartening to see someone like Kevin Sorbo, who has been regarded as a Christian role model, engage in a business that profits from an industry often associated with excess and negative consequences. The sole purpose of drinking alcoholic beverages is to impair one's sobriety, which can lead to poor decision-making and harmful actions.

Moreover, the Bible warns us about the love of money, stating in 1 Timothy 6:10, "For the love of money is the root of all evil." It is essential for individuals who claim to be followers of Christ to prioritize their spiritual values above financial gain.

The world could have more sober-minded people in the world instead of silly and obnoxious drunks.

If Sorbo is genuinely concerned about the trajectory of our nation, there are better ways for him to make a positive impact. Rather than profiting from alcohol, he could create content encouraging people to embrace qualities like godly masculinity, patriotism, and Christian virtues. These topics resonate with many and contribute to a more uplifting and virtuous society.

We must remember that the consumption of alcohol has been linked to numerous adverse outcomes, including accidents resulting in harm or loss of life. Such behavior can have devastating consequences, affecting individuals and innocent bystanders.

Kevin Sorbo's decision to sell a wine called "Christopher Street" on his website indicates his support for LGBT causes. The name "Christopher Street" is significant because it references the street in New York City where the Stonewall riots took place in 1969, considered a significant event in the history of the LGBT rights movement. By choosing to market and sell a bottle of wine with this name, Sorbo associates himself and his brand with the LGBT community and the historical struggle for LGBT rights. It suggests a willingness to support and acknowledge the LGBT community and its history.

Kevin Sorbo has built so much respect from Christians within the United States that he can do or say things that are not aligned with the Bible. For instance, he can celebrate "Pride Month" by waving the rainbow flag at an LGBT parade and still be considered a devout Christian who asked to speak on podcasts like the Babylon Bee. He is immune from any criticism.

Also, he often brags that he has atheists friends and I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 6:14
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

Thank you for allowing me to share my perspective, and I would appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

By the time I got done reading this post I think you've said a lot more about yourself than you have about Kevin Sorbo.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Honestman001

Jul 14, 2023
Lancaster
✟567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By the time I got done reading this post I think you've said a lot more about yourself than you have about Kevin Sorbo.

-CryptoLutheran
And it says more about me; what exactly? Since I made the post, I have received snarky remarks from people. This kind of environment I would expect on Reddit or some other secular website that is dominated by liberal-progressive thought, and I see that people operating on this forum site are also progressive-minded. I am the villain because I strongly oppose sin, which has offended many who read and responded to my post about Kevin Sorbo. If we were to accept people as they are, like British singer Sam Smith who flaunts his homosexuality because wrong to take issue with his lifestyle choice. What is the purpose of Jesus Christ going to the cross? Oh, I see now HE died so that man can continue to sin as much as he pleases and be free from judgment from their fellow man as long they conduct their wicked ways in private.

This shared mindset of worldly Christians. As J.C. Ryle states, in this day, which many have, and think they have enough, a cheap Christianity which offends nobody and requires no sacrifice-which costs nothing and is worth nothing.

How does making close friendships with non-believers strengthen the Christian faith?

Paul asked a series of rhetorical questions to help the Corinthians see the foolishness of such yoking. How can righteousness partner with lawlessness? How can light dwell with darkness? What does Christ and the devil have in common? What in the world does a believer share with an unbeliever? You see, our problem is, we do not see the world’s disciples in such stark contrast to disciples of Jesus! These questions should be a spiritual awaking! Really, what does a believer share with an unbeliever? If we cannot see that, we should question our spirituality.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't mind feed back, but not of the condescending kind.

Your entire opening post is a self-righteous screed against a celebrity because that celebrity, what, treats unbelievers with kindness and drinks wine?

Are you familiar with the Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican?

-CryptoLUtheran

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't mind feed back, but not of the condescending kind.
It could be that others are extending the same consideration toward you that you demonstrated toward Mr. Sorbo in your O.P.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hornet

With a Tweet, Former Hercules Kevin Sorbo Reminds Us He’s Still a First-Class Douchebag

Written by Matt Keeley on February 13, 2018

Oh, Kevin Sorbo. Sick of being remembered as “that guy who was Hercules in the ’90s,” Sorbo’s apparently decided to make himself known as “that homophobic, racist douchebag on the internet who was also Hercules in the ’90s.”

Queerty

Kevin Sorbo is having another terrible day on Twitter after learning he may lose his blue check mark

By Graham Gremore November 1, 2022 at 10:11am

It seemed like 64-year-old Sorbo was getting the last laugh on all the people who’ve dunked on him for his extreme right-wing rhetoric and anti-LGBTQ tweets over the years.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello @Honestman001, the above, and other LGBTQ+ publications seem to have a very different opinion of Kevin Sorbo (in regard to the LGBTQ+ community) than you do. He's a Twitter regular. So, instead of continuing on with all of the conjecture about him and the choices that he is reported to have made (and what may well be an incorrect assessment of a brother in Christ), why not go to Twitter and ask him yourself (@Ksorbs)? The real reason(s) behind someone's choice to do or say certain things is something that we need to learn from them before judging them, especially when the things that they are saying/doing are adiaphora (or we may end up transgressing Matthew 7:1a in the process).

BTW, being friends with unbelievers is not the same thing as being "yoked" to them (like we are if we choose to be partners with them in business, or in marriage). You also mentioned that we need to show love and compassion to sinners, just like Jesus did, but how could He have possibly done so if He chose not to associate with them? For that matter, how can we?

You also mentioned Mary Magdalene as being the unnamed adulterous woman who Jesus chose to "forgive" in John 8. The woman in that passage was, as the passage tells us, "adulterous", which means that she and Mary could not be the same person (because Mary wasn't married). You may also want to consider what the Lord Jesus actually did, and what He did not do (He told the woman to "go and sin no more", as well that He would not condemn her, not in that moment anyway, but He never told her or implied that He had forgiven her .. John 8:1-11). IOW, He chose to help her, not only by saving her from the scribes and Pharisees, but by talking to her too.

If Christians refuse to associate with unbelievers, what chance will any of them have of ever coming to saving faith .. e.g. Romans 10:17? (quite frankly, what chance would you or I have had if that was the case when we were still unbelievers?). Maybe helping unbelievers understand why they, as sinners, are in need of the Savior (just like all of us once were) is the way to go, rather than refusing to talk to them or calling them out and condemning them for their particular sin/sinful lifestyle choice instead?

--David

Spurgeon - if sinners be...arms about knees.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Margaret court, female tennis player, Australian, 1970s. She professes to be pastor. She condones lesbians on tennis circuit. When another tennis player confronted her, making statement in magazine or interview with broadcast. Margaret softened her position. She would like to meet with the person.
I'm not judging anyone. I don't believe their going to change. This person refused to meet Margaret.
Corinthians chapter 6 to document, abusers of mankind will not inherit kingdom of God.
Theirs couple of actors in Hollywood, who say they converted to christianity. Are they producing fruit, planting seeds for God??. John chapter 15.
Jesus says in gospel of Matthew 16;26. For what is a man , if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.

It seems to me thier too busy making movies. I doubt that their knowledgeable of God's word. James chapter 1:22 but be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Normally I’m used to seeing people tear down Sorbo for his terrible movies and incendiary comments against Jews and atheists. But here, he’s viewed as being too soft on the gays? I don’t know what’s happened to this place. It’s taken a hard turn to the far-right in recent years. It’s sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Normally I’m used to seeing people tear down Sorbo for his terrible movies and incendiary comments against Jews and atheists. But here, he’s viewed as being too soft on the gays? I don’t know what’s happened to this place. It’s taken a hard turn to the far-right in recent years. It’s sad.

It's a reflection of what's been trending since at least 2016.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a reflection of what's been trending since at least 2016.

-CryptoLutheran

It's the new open season on gays among Evangelicals. I guess you can only preach about the evils of D&D and Rock and Roll for so long...

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's the new open season on gays among Evangelicals. I guess you can only preach about the evils of D&D and Rock and Roll for so long...
LGBTQQIP2SAA+, especially trans, are campaigning for full acceptance from everyone. Many Christians aren't giving it to them. Many other Christians are siding with worldly standards regarding the matter. Many to the extent that they're not just accepting, but condoning, defending, promoting and praising.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
LGBTQQIP2SAA+, especially trans, are campaigning for full acceptance from everyone. Many Christians aren't giving it to them. Many other Christians are siding with worldly standards regarding the matter. Many to the extent that they're not just accepting, but condoning, defending, promoting and praising.

If I have to make a choice between accepting my non-heterosexual, non-cis neighbors as fully human persons who deserve to be loved, respected, and treated the way that Christ says I should treat my neighbor; or embracing a modernistic political ideology that is exclusionary and hateful, then the choice is easy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In the mid 2000's I found myself at a crossroads where I could either take the religion I was raised in seriously, or I could take the politics I was raised in seriously, and I chose Jesus.

If anyone wants to know why I became a "liberal Christian", blame George W. Bush. I simply couldn't go along with the direction I saw "conservative" Christians going on the political and social level. In my youth I made a promise to Jesus that I would put Him first and accept the cost, and I still pray that same prayer. That I would put Jesus first in everything. If that makes me a "bad Christian" by the estimation of some or many, I'm okay with that. To quote Dr. Luther, my mind is captive to the word of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If I have to make a choice between accepting my non-heterosexual, non-cis neighbors as fully human persons who deserve to be loved, respected, and treated the way that Christ says I should treat my neighbor; or embracing a modernistic political ideology that is exclusionary and hateful, then the choice is easy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In the mid 2000's I found myself at a crossroads where I could either take the religion I was raised in seriously, or I could take the politics I was raised in seriously, and I chose Jesus.

If anyone wants to know why I became a "liberal Christian", blame George W. Bush. I simply couldn't go along with the direction I saw "conservative" Christians going on the political and social level. In my youth I made a promise to Jesus that I would put Him first and accept the cost, and I still pray that same prayer. That I would put Jesus first in everything. If that makes me a "bad Christian" by the estimation of some or many, I'm okay with that. To quote Dr. Luther, my mind is captive to the word of God.

-CryptoLutheran

"Though none go with me, I still will follow..."

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0