Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We just passed the 50th anniversary of the shooting at Kent State where members of the Ohio National Guard gunned down four college students. The guardsmen were order to pay a small amount of damages, but none of them did any jail time and a formal apology was never issued. One of the students who was killed was not even part of the protest, she was just changing classes. Should action against the men who did this be pursued? To me it seems that at the very least a formal apology should be issued.

Last edited:

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We just passed the 50th anniversary of the shooting at Kent State where members of the Ohio National Guard gunned down four college students. The guardsmen were order to pay a small amount of damages, but none of them did any jail time and a formal apology was never issued. One of the students who was killed was not even part of the protest, she was just changing classes. Should action against the men who did this be pursued? To me it seems that at the very least a formal apology should be issued.

Let's forgive and forget. Ephesians 4:32, "Forgive one another, as Christ forgave you."

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's forgive and forget. Ephesians 4:32, "Forgive one another, as Christ forgave you."
So should we forgive murderers, robbers, rapists? Why not at least a formal apology (which was never issued) and payment of damages?

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So should we forgive murderers, robbers, rapists? Why not at least a formal apology (which was never issued) and payment of damages?

It's best not to dwell on injustices from the past and instead seek a better present and future.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's best not to dwell on injustices from the past and instead seek a better present and future.
We paid reparations to Japanese American who were interned. It was deserved. You’re saying that was wrong?

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We paid reparations to Japanese American who were interned. It was deserved. You’re saying that was wrong?

Well, how far back to you want to go with addressing past injustices? Should the Egyptians of today pay Israelis reparations because the Hebrews were once slaves in Egypt where they toiled endlessly? If there are any injustices that need to be addressed and made amends for, they are injustices in the present or near-past that affect the present.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, how far back to you want to go with addressing past injustices? Should the Egyptians of today pay Israelis reparations because the Hebrews were once slaves in Egypt where they toiled endlessly? If there are any injustices that need to be addressed and made amends for, they are injustices in the present or near-past that affect the present.
But I’m not talking about going back thousands of years, am I? I’m talking about 50 years.

You didn’t answer my question. Was it wrong to pay recompense to Japanese-Americans?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But I’m not talking about going back thousands of years, an I? I’m talking about 50 years.

You didn’t answer my question. Was it wrong to pay recompense to Japanese-Americans?

In a word, yes. More than that, it isn't necessary to compensate them. The interned Japanese were free to go back to living their lives after the conclusion of WWII. No harm, no foul.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In a word, yes. More than that, it isn't necessary to compensate them. The interned Japanese were free to go back to living their lives after the conclusion of WWII. No harm, no foul.
You need to learn your history. Many of them were forced to sell homes and businesses at far below market value. Yes they were harmed. Those who were killed at Kent State were even closer in time. Why should the shooters not be tried for their murder, at least for the shooting of the girl who was just changing classes? Why should a formal apology not be issued?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You need to learn your history. Many of them were forced to sell homes and businesses at far below market value. Yes they were harmed. Those who were killed at Kent State were even closer in time. Why should the shooters not be tried for their murder, at least for the shooting of the girl who was just changing classes? Why should a formal apology not be issued?

Explain what an apology would accomplish.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Explain what an apology would accomplish.
An overdue admission by the Ohio National Guard that it’s troops were wrong. Not as good as a murder trial and sending some of these former guardsmen off to jail for the rest of their lives, not as good as paying significant damages, but at least it would be a start.

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
An overdue admission by the Ohio National Guard that it’s troops were wrong. Not as good as a murder trial and sending some of these former guardsmen off to jail for the rest of their lives, not as good as paying significant damages, but at least it would be a start.

Seems redundant. Best not to hold grudges and let the past be the past.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems redundant. Best not to hold grudges and let the past be the past.
So there should be a statute of limitations for murder? How long? I recall that it in the late 70s they finally got the scum who bombed a black church in the early 60s and killed several little girls. They got life in prison. It seems that you are saying that we shouldn’t have prosecuted them, after all it was 15 years after the bombing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So there should be a statute of limitations for murder? How long? I recall that it in the late 70s they finally got the scum who bombed a black church in the early 60s and killed several little girls. They got life in prison. It seems that you are saying that we shouldn’t have prosecuted them, after all it was 15 years after the bombing.

I didn't say that. All I said is that we must forgive and forget, a teaching taught to us by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't say that. All I said is that we must forgive and forget, a teaching taught to us by our Lord Jesus Christ.
So why prosecute the church bombers while the Ohio National Guard solders get no punishment. I just don’t understand where the line gets drawn.

• Prayers
Reactions: Lord Vega
Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So why prosecute the church bombers while the Ohio National Guard solders get no punishment. I just don’t understand where the line gets drawn.

I didn't say church-bombing terrorists shouldn't be prosecuted. I was talking about forgiveness.

You sound like you have a heavy heart. I'll keep you in my prayers. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't say church-bombing terrorists shouldn't be prosecuted. I was talking about forgiveness.

You sound like you have a heavy heart. I'll keep you in my prayers. :prayer:
No, I don’t have a “heavy heart” I just think that Justice needs to be done. I would never think to tell a Japanese American who was forced into one of the camps “no harm no foul” as you would .

Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, I don’t have a “heavy heart” I just think that Justice needs to be done. I would never think to tell a Japanese American who was forced into one of the camps “no harm no foul” as you would .

Don't hold grudges, or else you're going against what scripture teaches. Ephesians 4:31-32, "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't hold grudges, or else you're going against what scripture teaches. Ephesians 4:31-32, "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."
I never said we shouldn’t forgive, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t punish wrongs.

You talk about forgiveness but you also said that the Ohio National Guard should not issue a formal apology for what was done to the students.

Upvote 0