Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is what I most want to share with college students who struggle with this issue.
Marijuana — “cannabis” to journalists, and “weed” in popular culture — is increasingly taking a central role in American life. In 2024, recreational marijuana will be legal in 24 states.

If you’re like me, this gives you a very uneasy feeling — but you also find it very difficult to argue against. The top 10 reasons to legalize marijuana sound plausible: Regulation will mean more control, and therefore less crime, fewer clogged prisons and court dockets, and less unfair enforcement.

Likewise, it’s hard to answer the moral acceptance of marijuana that most people have: If a couple of glasses of wine are okay, why should marijuana be different? Students at the college where I work tell me that confessors often have a hard time making a moral case against it also.

In November, Denver Archbishop Samuel Aquilla did a great service to the Church in writing “ThatThey May Have Life,” a compelling pastoral letter about marijuana. Here is what I most want to share with college students who struggle with this issue.

First: No, marijuana and alcohol are not the same.​

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My answer to the quoted section is - make illegal farms legal. And make them, like milk farmers, beef farms, food farms etc follow guidelines and pay taxes or arrest them for doing it illegally and not following guidelines. So they become part of capitalism. Also a set price and FDA whatever type program can check on the substance.... not as enticing if it is legal and has to pay taxes.
  • “Illegal cannabis farms are engulfing parts of California and exploiting farmworkers who labor in squalid, deadly conditions, a Times investigation finds.”

Upvote 0