AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I've enjoyed it too, but let me be clear about this particular matter. The "classification" deal in the JW case, fair or unfair as that may be, is not at all because of doubts concerning your love for and faith in God or Jesus. It's a matter of whom one considers to be God, and there you depart from the most basic of Christian principles.

(We do not consider the Son and the Father to be "one and the same," by the way).
Oh, I know that the classification thing is not about questioning those things, and it's not that I'm even overly concerned about it (being separate is not necessarily a bad thing). I just find it interesting that the underlying similarities do not overcome the differences. Christian is defined as a person who believes in and follows Jesus, not as one who believes that he is also God.

My apologies if I misstated your beliefs :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christian is defined as a person who believes in and follows Jesus, not as one who believes that he is also God.
Why would you think that?

My apologies if I misstated your beliefs :)
Oh no, I didn't think that. We're both attempting to keep it within the bounds of clarifications, I think.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Unbiased definition sources state as much.
Well, of course, the casual use of the word applies to almost anyone, regardless of belief or whether the faith is practiced in any way, just so long as he identifies as a "Christian" rather than some other religion (or atheism) and for any reason. The "rub" comes in when Christian people and churches apply the term and do so with more attention to whether what's professed lines up with the essentials of the religion or not.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Gabriel Anton said:
JW don't believe in Hell. There is no Hell in JW. If what JW preached is true, then Prince is just dead and turn to dust, that's all. I find that to be one of the major faults of JW. Their notion of Jehovah is that He is ever loving and because of that it is impossible that He would create Hell.

Well that's interesting. I hadn't seen that post.

JWs do take the Bible at its word that we do indeed return to dust (until the Kingdom comes, of course). Christ's death is what allows us the opportunity for the resurrection. Prince "sleeps" in Jehovah's memory until the day Jesus calls those in the memorial tombs to resurrection.

Hmm, sounds like they got idea from the Jews.
Well, in my belief, Christianity is Judaism fulfilled, so they do indeed have deep similarities.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Well, of course, the casual use of the word applies to almost anyone, regardless of belief or whether the faith is practiced in any way, just so long as he identifies as a "Christian" rather than some other religion (or atheism) and for any reason. The "rub" comes in when Christian people and churches apply the term and do so with more attention to whether what's professed lines up with the essentials of the religion or not.
And certainly each religious denomination has its free will to determine what their essentials will be. But they all profess to be followers of Christ, therefore they are all Christian by definition. Thankfully God will sort out the details at his appointed time, and I'm sure we all look forward to that day. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And certainly each religious denomination has its free will to determine what their essentials will be.
I don't think that answer will fly, frankly. What we feel the right age for Baptism is, or how the saints should be honored, if at all, probably aren't essentials, but who the God we serve IS...now, that has to be just about the most basic and non-negotiable doctrine of all.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that answer will fly, frankly. What we feel the right age for Baptism is, or how the saints should be honored, if at all, probably aren't essentials, but who the God we serve IS...now, that has to be just about the most basic and non-negotiable doctrine of all.
Nothing to fly. I absolutely do not believe Jesus is God, and I believe that it is disrespectful for me to refer to him as such. But I do believe in and revere God, and I do believe in and follow the teachings of his Son, Jesus Christ. It is non-negotiable to ME to ever refer to Jehovah as Jesus when their differentiation is made so clear throughout the bible. But I do not call you a non-Christian because you do not believe the exact same as me. I guess that is where we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nothing to fly. I absolutely do not believe Jesus is God, and I believe that it is disrespectful in the extreme to refer to him as such.
I believed you the first time, but how anything else could be MORE an essential of the faith than who God is, I can't imagine. ;)

But I do not call you a non-Christian because you do not believe the exact same as me. I guess that is where we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
I didn't call you a non-Christian either, but I was trying to explain (because you raised the point) why those who do make that judgment say what they do. Apparently, you don't want to hear it, so we should drop the subject.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
I believed you the first time, but how anything else could be MORE an essential of the faith than who God is, I can't imagine. ;)
Thanks for believing the first time. Again, God will sort out the details.

I didn't call you a non-Christian either, but I was trying to explain (because you raised the point) why those who do make that judgment say what they do. Apparently, you don't want to hear it, so we should drop the subject.
Didn't say you personally did, and I understand why you feel they do so. I heard you too, and remain unswayed by the position.

Yep, time to drop it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
BTW, what does the gold JW mean at the beginning of the thread title mean? Is it just an attention getter?
Jehovah Witness based thread designation. There is one for LDS/Mormons and I think Islaam. Although I may be wrong. I know LDS and JW have them.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Certainly that is an understandable stance if that were indeed the case. But while all the different denominations might believe they alone have things right, I think it's counterproductive to question each other's love for and faith in our understanding of God or Jesus. We believe it is disrespectful to not use God's name and to equate the Son with the Father. You believe they are one and the same. But what we have in common is a reverence for our creator and a belief in our salvation being through the death of Christ.

Happy to have had a good discussion, thank you.
The Bible says iron sharpens iron. To get people about why they believe what they believe is not a bad thing. Most of us believe the same basic tenants. Most discussions are based around a few concepts. It is more like a debate and discussion over theology. It is not questioning ones faith.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
The Bible says iron sharpens iron. To get people about why they believe what they believe is not a bad thing. Most of us believe the same basic tenants. Most discussions are based around a few concepts. It is more like a debate and discussion over theology. It is not questioning ones faith.
I hear that, and I appreciate the response.

You know what's frustrating to me about this site, though? There are some posts that I would love to give an encouraging word to, without getting all into religious specifics, and I can't. All I can do is "debate" people, or comment on random stuff. Not quite what I was hoping for, unfortunately. Keeps one on defense (or offense) all the time, instead of finding common ground and going from there.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hear that, and I appreciate the response.

You know what's frustrating to me about this site, though? There are some posts that I would love to give an encouraging word to, without getting all into religious specifics, and I can't. All I can do is "debate" people, or comment on random stuff. Not quite what I was hoping for, unfortunately. Keeps one on defense (or offense) all the time, instead of finding common ground and going from there.
Others probably abused some privledges in the past and it became necessary. That's speculation but i think it makes sense.

This is actually my first time on a JW thread and it has been enjoyable.

Upvote 0

AwakeInTheMatrix

Jul 30, 2016
Utah
✟15,770.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Others probably abused some privledges in the past and it became necessary. That's speculation but i think it makes sense.

This is actually my first time on a JW thread and it has been enjoyable.
Well, being that the LDS threads dominate, I am glad to have had some interaction on this thread in my short time here. I don't prefer the political/random stuff, and do prefer to engage in some more meaningful dialogue. Thank you for the feedback, I can see that that has probably been the case in the past. Perhaps it is something they will revisit in the future. Not everyone wants to engage in conversion. Some of us just like to chat and enjoy our similarities. :)

Upvote 0