the crazy priest's kid from down the lane
Nov 28, 2006
my mind
✟21,858.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i was just wondering why Messianic Jews write God like G-d.:confused: my mom says that they do because they consider God a very holy figure, so they don't say his name.

1st question: is there any other reason why Messianics don't sat God?

2nd question: we consider God holy too, so why don't we not say his name? (that one i sorta have the answer to, but what do ya'll think?) :scratch:

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
G-d is said for two reasons, as I understand it.

1) the name of God (that we would write as YHWH in english characters) was not spoken because it was deemed to be very holy
2) internet pages, and pieces of random paper, never ever have G-d written out on them by people who observe this, because they see it as holy and to write it on something that will be lost or destroyed is to do it wrong.

We consider God holy, but we don't use that holy name for Him, we do write God in full though, because we don't see it as necessary to protect it in the same way.

At least that's my understanding :wave:

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's actually 'written' as voltage levels in microscopic electronic gates (essentially transistors).

God in ASCII Hex representation is actually:

0x476F64

or in Binary

Also the individual bits are more than likeley NOT stored next to each other on the silicon that is is 'written'.

Now, we could talk about display technology ... :)

[/geek]

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But God's name is not "God?" "God" is an English linguistic configuration used to represent the Holy, Mighty, Immortal.

It is some generalized form of the tetragrammaton (probably originating in German) that was never given vowelization in its Hebrew form and thus is not spoken as no one knows how it was pronounced.

That is why scholars use the crazy form of Yahweh, which I am convinced is a wrong pronunciation, thus they are not mis-speaking the name of God.

forgive me.

Clement

http://forums.crosswalk.com/Do_Real...In_Roanoke,_Va%_August_10-12/m_2579610/tm.htm

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But God's name is not "God?" "God" is an English linguistic configuration used to represent the Holy, Mighty, Immortal.

It is some generalized form of the tetragrammaton (probably originating in German) that was never given vowelization in its Hebrew form and thus is not spoken as no one knows how it was pronounced.

That is why scholars use the crazy form of Yahweh, which I am convinced is a wrong pronunciation, thus they are not mis-speaking the name of God.

forgive me.

Clement

http://forums.crosswalk.com/Do_Real...In_Roanoke,_Va%_August_10-12/m_2579610/tm.htm
I agree, and then our Bibles have LORD or Adonai instead of the Name.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
An Orthodox Jew once explained this to me and it was something like this:

-God is infinite and incomprehensible.
-Writing "God" would make Him finite and comprehensible because He would be like us lowly mortals for having a name; i.e. lowering Him to our level.
-Thus: G-d, not God.

Something like that. Basically if you could take the name of an infinite and incomprehensible being than where does the lowering to our level end?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The silly thing is that in reality the Jews and those who deign to follow their ways are simply substituting another character for the 'o' in God. These things are simply icons that represent phonemes words and phrases which themselves are icons of thoughts concepts and ideas. IOW, if it were really offensive (or whatever reason given) to write God, it would be equally so to write G-d G_d G*d or Ikferbenzerdimmer as a substitute ...

Do the [English speaking] Jews run around pronouncing G-d ... Gd ??

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An Orthodox Jew once explained this to me and it was something like this:

-God is infinite and incomprehensible.
-Writing "God" would make Him finite and comprehensible because He would be like us lowly mortals for having a name; i.e. lowering Him to our level.
-Thus: G-d, not God.

Something like that. Basically if you could take the name of an infinite and incomprehensible being than where does the lowering to our level end?

How about writing Godododod ... (with the little repeat bar at the end} :idea:

Infinite God, problem solved :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.