Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But the plan existed nevertheless. I mean obviously I didn’t just conjure up that website explaining the plan out of thin air and you can find that plan on multiple websites. The plan existed and the number of guns owned by civilians played a factor in scrapping the plan. I never said it was the only determining factor.

Plans existed for a lot of stupid things during WWII. The idea of Japan invading the US gets thrown out the window well before we get to the point of "what sort of resistance would we encounter from civilians?". Even if some people toyed with the idea of "ok, what if we somehow managed to solve these giant hurdles that would prevent an invasion to begin with" that doesn't matter. The idea that Japan scrapped invasion plans of the US in any significant part due to the number of armed US citizens is ludicrous. The idea of a them invading the US falls apart well before that comes into consideration.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Plans existed for a lot of stupid things during WWII. The idea of Japan invading the US gets thrown out the window well before we get to the point of "what sort of resistance would we encounter from civilians?". Even if some people toyed with the idea of "ok, what if we somehow managed to solve these giant hurdles that would prevent an invasion to begin with" that doesn't matter. The idea that Japan scrapped invasion plans of the US in any significant part due to the number of armed US citizens is ludicrous. The idea of a them invading the US falls apart well before that comes into consideration.

The Japanese invading the US is almost in the league of the Japanese had atomic bombs were ready to drop them on New York and LA.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,935.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah it’s really not an option now that there are hundreds of millions of guns in circulation in the US. Disarming citizens at this point would only result in disarming law abiding citizens leaving them vulnerable to attack by armed criminals who obviously won’t relinquish their guns. Another thing to consider is that in the past other countries have abandoned plans for invasion on American soil solely because of the number of armed citizens. Then there’s also numerous cases where armed citizens have come to the aide of victims and apprehended or killed criminals who were threatening the lives of others.
I was trying to point out that comparing statistics between countries is often not straight forward. If the latest figures for burglaries in England are used, then the rate is lower than the figures you gave for the USA. Whatever figures used, there are bigger differences within England between safe and less safe areas than between the UK and USA.

Large numbers of guns do not appear to offer a significant deterrent to burglars, or there would be far lower levels of burglaries in the USA, not just half based on your figures (and I found more recent figures for England that are lower than the USA). I would have expected almost no burglaries.

I'm sure some potential burglars will be put of by the prospect that a house holder might be armed. Others don't think, or are high on drugs and desperate. And others will be armed as a precaution (and of course, they will always have the advantage of surprise).

Upvote 0