Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Why is this case not deserving of the same outrage as other black killings by police? I'm curious.

No mass protests after Honolulu police shoot, kill Black man

"According to police’s account of the fatal shooting, Myeni entered a home that wasn’t his, sat down and took off his shoes, prompting a frightened occupant to call 911"​

"Myeni’s widow thinks he mistook the home for a Hare Krishna temple next door. Earlier in the day, the family had visited culturally significant places as they drove to Oahu’s north shore. At one point, the couple prayed together, she recalled, because something felt off. He seemed stressed."

"Because of that, she thinks her husband, who was Christian and connected to his Zulu culture, was seeking out a spiritual place in his new neighborhood."​

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it because:

1. He was not a born in the United States?
  2. Hawaii is linked to Barrack Obama, therefore is untouchable?
  3. He was Christian?
  4. Hawaii is considered mostly non-white?
  5. Or something else?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope to hear a potential reason by one of our more astute woke members, why Honolulu police are being held to a different standard, so that we can all understand the process more clearly.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to police’s account of the fatal shooting, Myeni entered a home that wasn’t his, sat down and took off his shoes, prompting a frightened occupant to call 911. Outside the house, he ignored commands to get on the ground and physically attacked officers, leaving one with a concussion, police said.
Why would there be protest?

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am confused. You support mass protest by BLM now? From previous post you had , I had the understanding you don’t support mass protest by BLM. Now you are complaining why there is no mass protest? Or is this that you only support mass protest you agree with?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

HiltiesGwerf

To err is human, to forgive canine
Nov 20, 2009
In awe...
✟45,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...Why is this case not deserving of the same outrage as other black killings by police? I'm curious.

"According to police’s account of the fatal shooting, Myeni entered a home that wasn’t his, sat down and took off his shoes, prompting a frightened occupant to call 911"​

"Myeni’s widow thinks he mistook the home for a Hare Krishna temple next door. Earlier in the day, the family had visited culturally significant places as they drove to Oahu’s north shore. At one point, the couple prayed together, she recalled, because something felt off. He seemed stressed."

"Because of that, she thinks her husband, who was Christian and connected to his Zulu culture, was seeking out a spiritual place in his new neighborhood."​
Give it a few days. I'm sure those with a vested interest mob violence will drum up some excuse to riot soon enough.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am confused. You support mass protest by BLM now? From previous post you had , I had the understanding you don’t support mass protest by BLM. Now you are complaining why there is no mass protest? Or is this that you only support mass protest you agree with?

Are you talking to me or CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN?

...If it was for me, I'm only trying to understand the "woke" mindset. It's something I struggle to comprehend, honestly.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because it was a police shooting of an unarmed black man.
But story said what happen and the black man got shot. Because he assaulted a police officer. There's nothing here that says the cops ,were wrong. Except a grieving wife.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"One reason for a lack of outrage, he said, is that police have released limited details of what happened."

Also curious about this: "'This person seriously injured the officers and their lives were in jeopardy,' she said."

see also

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But story said what happen and the black man got shot. Because he assaulted a police officer. There's nothing here that says the cops ,were wrong. Except a grieving wife.

I thought the woke response, is for less lethal tazer use, on unarmed black people... Remember?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"One reason for a lack of outrage, he said, is that police have released limited details of what happened."

Also curious about this: "'This person seriously injured the officers and their lives were in jeopardy,' she said."

see also

I suppose once the details are released, we'll get a better understanding... There's usually a long gap that takes place before the details are released, unless someone catches it on their cell phone... We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it because:

3. He was Christian?
  5. Or something else?

Option four.

The racial dynamic in Hawaii is vastly different from what it is on the mainland. If a black man gets shot by police in Hawaii, it's not because he was black, and hardly any Hawaii resident would think so. Heck, he could have easily been Fijiian.

Barack Obama had to learn from his wife and while he was in Chicago how to be "African-American," because he would not have learned it in Hawaii.

My own daughter suffered a huge amount of psychological trauma after spending her elementary years in Hawaii and then moving to what should have been a "good" suburban school environment in the Omaha NE area. Moving from the Hawaii environment that gently nurtured and coddled "brown" children to an environment on the mainland where she was the target of juvenile bigots was a psychological nightmare that she still suffers from 20 years later.

The interesting thing, perhaps ironic, is that Hawaii state culture does not pretend different cultures and ethnicities do not exist. They revel in the differences, even in stereotypes of those differences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Is it because:

3. He was Christian?
  5. Or something else?

How about none of the above?

Demographics should give you a few clues - then you could start thinking about the history of Hawaii. Then there's the culture. Hawaii isn't the same as mainland USA.

Hawaii Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Hawaii was:
  • Asian: 37.79%
  • White: 24.95%
  • Two or more races: 23.89%
  • Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 10.06%
  • Black or African American: 1.83%
  • Other race: 1.23%
  • Native American: 0.26%
Hawaii Population 2021 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs) (worldpopulationreview.com)

OB

• Useful
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought the woke response, is for less lethal tazer use, on unarmed black people... Remember?
I think the people you watch over aggerate.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about none of the above?

Demographics should give you a few clues - then you could start thinking about the history of Hawaii. Then there's the culture. Hawaii isn't the same as mainland USA.

Hawaii Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Hawaii was:
  • Asian: 37.79%
  • White: 24.95%
  • Two or more races: 23.89%
  • Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 10.06%
  • Black or African American: 1.83%
  • Other race: 1.23%
  • Native American: 0.26%
Hawaii Population 2021 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs) (worldpopulationreview.com)

OB

What you have shown is that no ethnic group (and in Hawaii, "Asian" is viewed as its separate ethnic components) has a demographic majority in Hawaii. As significant, the ethnic culture that does have symbolic dominance in Hawaii (the culture the other groups emulate) is Native Hawaiian ...which is one of the smaller demographic groups.

Yes, Hawaii is considered mostly non-white and how Hawaii residents observe their racial and cultural mix is easily the most likely factor in why they would perceive the shooting of a black man by police in a very different manner from how it would be perceived on the Mainland.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Too many people tried to fight with police. Some of the police are going to be in combat mode. This year a number of police have been gunned down or struck by vehicles. There were no protests. More active duty police died of COVID 19 this year than homicide.

A sheep knows the voice of the shepherd. This fellow who was killed did not know where his home was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know anyone that calls themselves "woke".

It seems like a buzzword used exclusively by people who are opposed to the opposition of racism. An "anti-anti-racist", if you will.

Upvote 0