Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I've recently had a massive faith crisis and I just can't (no matter how hard I try) believe in Jesus, so I started thinking, what about Judaism? I really don't' know much about it, which I think is pretty silly and a bit naive of me because the religion I followed my whole life wouldn't exist without it.

For any Jewish members here, where would you recommend starting researching Judaism?
you might want to try the first half of the bible, it is the same Jewish Canon (but spoiler alert it all foreshadows Christ)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Luke 18:19
“And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.”

So was Luke wrong then, is that what you are saying??

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wow, I didn't know Christians condemned each other as much as they condemn non-Christians.
I'm not feeling as special now.
Agreed, I'm actually quite shocked by the hostility in this thread, and I was raised Catholic so I thougtht I was used to it lol.

It also seems to be an issue in Judaism as well, depending on how you are classed, orthodox, conservative or progressive (progressive seems to get the most judgement)

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Wow, I didn't know Christians condemned each other as much as they condemn non-Christians.
I'm not feeling as special now.

It gives their ego a boost.

That is what religion is about but it does not bring peace.

Peace can only come about through acts of goodness and kindness.

There is already goodness and kindness, but even if the scales are in balance, one more deed of goodness and kindness can tip the scales and bring the Messiah=Peace.

One reason why we should not give up doing what is right and proper not because we have to but because we want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed, I'm actually quite shocked by the hostility in this thread, and I was raised Catholic so I thougtht I was used to it lol.

It also seems to be an issue in Judaism as well, depending on how you are classed, orthodox, conservative or progressive (progressive seems to get the most judgement)

Hmm.
Hey @Zoness, we're both Pagan and I'm sure not all of our beliefs line up exactly.
How do you feel about that?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
So I've recently had a massive faith crisis and I just can't (no matter how hard I try) believe in Jesus, so I started thinking, what about Judaism?
IMO, in my own search (where I spent a few years examining other religions and philosophies after leaving Christianity), I came to the conclusion that modern Judaism was one major re-imagining of ancient Judaism, the other being Christianity.

As I see it, ancient Judaism was based on Temple worship headed by its priesthood; it was obviously in crisis after the Temple was destroyed. Modern Judaism grew out of that crisis by reinterpreting ancient Judaism's texts (the "Old Testament") to support a local synagogue system headed by their rabbis, whereas Christianity formed by reinterpreting the same texts to center around the personality of Jesus. Just as the Christian reinterpretation is now known as the "New Testament", modern Judaism's equivalent is now known as its "Oral Law".

I was not particularly impressed by modern Judaism, as its Oral Law teaches that evil desire is a good thing (Genesis Rabbah IX.7).

Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
IMO, in my own search (where I spent a few years examining other religions and philosophies after leaving Christianity), I came to the conclusion that modern Judaism was one major re-imagining of ancient Judaism, the other being Christianity.

As I see it, ancient Judaism was based on Temple worship headed by its priesthood; it was obviously in crisis after the Temple was destroyed. Modern Judaism grew out of that crisis by reinterpreting ancient Judaism's texts (the "Old Testament") to support a local synagogue system headed by their rabbis, whereas Christianity formed by reinterpreting the same texts to center around the personality of Jesus. Just as the Christian reinterpretation is now known as the "New Testament", modern Judaism's equivalent is now known as its "Oral Law".

I was not particularly impressed by modern Judaism, as its Oral Law teaches that evil desire is a good thing (Genesis Rabbah IX.7).
Thank you I really appreciate your perspective, I guess I'm where you were when you left Christianity, I feel like I'm on the path of doing the same thing. Looking at different belief systems to try and find where I fit in. I suppose Judaism is a logical place to start for an ex-Christian.

• Friendly
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

The Oral was given to Moses on his third ascent,

It was meant to be passed on generation to generation,

but ended up being written because some where afraid

it would be forgotten.

Evil is darkness it is not to be fought against.

How can one wage a war in darkness?

Darkness is to be transformed into light,

by turning on the light.

I do not know what is meant by modern Judaism,

For every piece of Torah one learns, one must find a way to apply it to today.

It is wellknown that it is through suffering one enters the world to come.

To obtain pure oil from an olive the olive has to be crushed.

I do not think there an easy fix solution anywhere.

Neither have I understood fluttering around to see what this one or that one has to offer.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Thank you I really appreciate your perspective, I guess I'm where you were when you left Christianity, I feel like I'm on the path of doing the same thing. Looking at different belief systems to try and find where I fit in. I suppose Judaism is a logical place to start for an ex-Christian.
Good luck! May your search be fruitful and skillful.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The Oral was given to Moses on his third ascent,

It was meant to be passed on generation to generation,

but ended up being written because some where afraid

it would be forgotten.

Evil is darkness it is not to be fought against.

How can one wage a war in darkness?

Darkness is to be transformed into light,

by turning on the light.

I do not know what is meant by modern Judaism,

For every piece of Torah one learns, one must find a way to apply it to today.

It is wellknown that it is through suffering one enters the world to come.

To obtain pure oil from an olive the olive has to be crushed.

I do not think there an easy fix solution anywhere.

Neither have I understood fluttering around to see what this one or that one has to offer.
I do not equate "suffering" with "evil desire".

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

More serious within Judaism,
the second Holy Temple was destroyed because of
disunity and a baseless hate.

If there had been unity they would have merited God's
protection.
(Talmud)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You will have to follow the 613 commandments perfectly and never fail once not even a little. If you break one, you are guilty of all and people will stone you to death. Or you could accept the free gift of mercy and grace the word of God made flesh did for us dying in the cross. You can read Isaiah 53, genesis 3, Daniel 9 foreshadowing this event.
The 613 commandments do not apply to all people. We do not believe that we have to be perfect, and we don't believe that if you break one you break them all. And we certainly don't believe in stoning people to death.

Upvote 0