Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So I've recently had a massive faith crisis and I just can't (no matter how hard I try) believe in Jesus, so I started thinking, what about Judaism? I really don't' know much about it, which I think is pretty silly and a bit naive of me because the religion I followed my whole life wouldn't exist without it.

For any Jewish members here, where would you recommend starting researching Judaism?

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
So I've recently had a massive faith crisis and I just can't (no matter how hard I try) believe in Jesus, so I started thinking, what about Judaism? I really don't' know much about it, which I think is pretty silly and a bit naive of me because the religion I followed my whole life wouldn't exist without it.

For any Jewish members here, where would you recommend starting researching Judaism?

You will have to follow the 613 commandments perfectly and never fail once not even a little. If you break one, you are guilty of all and people will stone you to death. Or you could accept the free gift of mercy and grace the word of God made flesh did for us dying in the cross. You can read Isaiah 53, genesis 3, Daniel 9 foreshadowing this event.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You cannot try to believe in Jesus, that doesn't work, rather faith is a gift of God to all those who ask in the name of Jesus for it.

For years i thought Jesus was an invention, but the Word of God set me straight. Especially Isaiah 53 talks about a suffering man of sorrows to save us from our sins.

So if you mourn sin then go to Jesus and ask Him for faith from the Father so you can believe in the true Gospel instead of be stuck with hundreds of laws and dos and don'ts.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Judaism is a community religion, so you'd need to learn from a community.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You will have to follow the 613 commandments perfectly and never fail once not even a little. If you break one, you are guilty of all and people will stone you to death. Or you could accept the free gift of mercy and grace the word of God made flesh did for us dying in the cross. You can read Isaiah 53, genesis 3, Daniel 9 foreshadowing this event.

In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, it says that God's law is not too difficult to obey and that obedience brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as the need for perfect obedience. Thinking that we need to have perfect obedience would essentially mean that God gave the law with the goal of cursing and condemning His children when in reality it was given for our own good in order to bless us (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13). In Deuteronomy 11:26-32, the difference between being under God's curse or His blessing was based on choosing a mountain and climbing it, about choosing to serve God or to chase after other Gods, not on whether or not we have perfect obedience. While everyone in the OT sinned and fell short of perfect obedience, everyone being under God's curse does not reflect the reality of what is recorded about those who served God, just those who chased after other gods. Repentance doesn't change the fact that we have fallen short of perfect obedience, so the fact that repentance has value demonstrates that perfect obedience was never a requirement for us.

In James 2:1-11, he was speaking to people who had already sinned by showing favoritism, so he was not telling them that they needed to have perfect obedience because that would have already been too late, and he was not discouraging them from trying to obey the law, as you are doing, but rather he was encouraging them to repent and to do a better job of obeying the law more consistently. If we break any law and become a lawbreaker, then we need to repent and to return to obedience through faith.

In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, so that is what God's free gift of mercy and grace looks like. In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, which is what God's law was given to instruct how to do. Furthermore, it says that Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is what it looks like to believe in what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

• Friendly
Reactions: Yusuphhai
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Micah 6:6 With what shall I come before the Lord, And bow myself before the High God? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, With calves a year old? 7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, Ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? 8 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God.

Micah makes it simple. Not easy but simple.

Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You cannot try to believe in Jesus, that doesn't work, rather faith is a gift of God to all those who ask in the name of Jesus for it.

For years i thought Jesus was an invention, but the Word of God set me straight. Especially Isaiah 53 talks about a suffering man of sorrows to save us from our sins.

So if you mourn sin then go to Jesus and ask Him for faith from the Father so you can believe in the true Gospel instead of be stuck with hundreds of laws and dos and don'ts.

You assume I haven't done this? I have been doing just that for years.

I do not believe Jesus was the messiah, I can't live a lie.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Why don't you believe that Jesus is the Messiah?

Jesus did not come to start his own religion following a different God, but rather he came to bring fullness to Judaism as its Jewish Messiah in fulfillment of Jewish prophecy. He practiced Judaism by living in obedience to the Torah and by teaching his followers how to obey it by word and by example. All Christians were Torah observant Jews for roughly the first 7-15 years after Christ's resurrection up until the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10, so Christianity is the form of Judaism that recognized Jesus as its prophesied Messiah. I think that everything in OT Scriptures testifies about how to have a relationship with Jesus (John 5:39-40), so for me it would seem strange to reject Jesus and still follow the same nature, but I do recognize that there are people who see him as being opposed to it.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You assume I haven't done this? I have been doing just that for years.

I do not believe Jesus was the messiah, I can't live a lie.

Do you believe that Yahuah (YHWH) is Salvation?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

You've eloquently stated the root of your problem. You are looking for a religion. Religion saves no one. Lord Jesus condemned the most religious people of all, the Pharisees. I'd be seeking to find out why I don't believe in Jesus. He put an end to all religion, rather giving His followers what we need more than anything else - Life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Good luck with this.

There's a reason why "Jews" don't proselytize.

And I'm not trying to be rude here.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rose,

You’re in a difficult place. I’ve been there. But God saw me through it. There are fundamental differences between Judaism and Christianity. I’m happy to answer your questions and you’re welcome to message me if you like.

I’ll be praying for you too and asking the Lord to order your steps. God Bless. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Just curious why you're interested in picking up any other religion?

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just curious why you're interested in picking up any other religion?
I guess I'm not ready to let go of it altogether and I love the old testament, and I by no means want to pick up a new religion, but I would really like to study it (Judaism) and I guess while studying I am open to 'what if this is where I am supposed to be' but its more 'christianity isn't true, it came from judaism, jewish people don't beleive in jesus, I wonder why and I wonder what they believe'

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You've eloquently stated the root of your problem. You are looking for a religion. Religion saves no one. Lord Jesus condemned the most religious people of all, the Pharisees. I'd be seeking to find out why I don't believe in Jesus. He put an end to all religion, rather giving His followers what we need more than anything else - Life.
I am not looking for a new religion, I'm looking to learn more about where the roots of the one I was raised in comes from. And why they don't believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good luck with this.

There's a reason why "Jews" don't proselytize.

And I'm not trying to be rude here.
I can respect that, Catholics are similar, you can't just stand up in a catholic church say you believe and you're in, you have to study for a year (its called RCIA)

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

I do not know what to tell you,
other than start with Torah.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

One famous account in the Talmud (Shabbat 31a) tells about a gentile who wanted to convert to Judaism. He stated that he would accept Judaism only if a Rabbi would teach him the entire Torah while he stood on one foot. First he went to Shammai, who, insulted by this ridiculous request, threw him out of the house. The man did not give up and went to Hillel. Hillel accepted the challenge and said: "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah. The rest is the explanation of this, now go and study it!"
Shalom :)

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

You can see Jesus directly right here.

John 1:12-15
Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands; and in the middle of the lampstands I saw one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His chest with a golden sash. His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire. His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters.

It doesn't take much to believe in Jesus, the evidence is very strong.

Jesus was YHWH in the Old Testament. That is why I printed Revelation 1. If you knew the Old Testament well, you would recognize YHWH.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: rakovsky
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can see Jesus directly right here.

John 1:12-15
Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands; and in the middle of the lampstands I saw one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His chest with a golden sash. His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire. His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters.

It doesn't take much to believe in Jesus, the evidence is very strong.

Jesus was YHWH in the Old Testament. That is why I printed Revelation 1. If you knew the Old Testament well, you would recognize YHWH.

You see Jesus there, I don't. And to say if I knew the Old Testament well I'd know Jesus is kinda of a big assumption. The Old Testament is a Jewish book right? Its their book and they don't believe in Jesus, I'm very interested in their interpretation of it.

I think you see Jesus in the Old Testament because that is your interpretation of it. Which is fine, but I really don't believe in Jesus, so I'm not going to see him there. I know you're only trying to help me and the thought of not believing in Jesus to you is unthinkable but I'm ok with it, I actually feel relieved

Upvote 0