LDS Joseph Smith Started a False Religion

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
But Mormon beliefs say that when a Mormon dies he becomes a god
We Mormons don't believe we replace God- He's always going to be our God. Rather, the belief is that we become one with/like Him. Here's a good essay on the topic: Becoming Like God

This of course is done by the grace of God and Christ's amazing sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and testimony of modern prophets are bear the same message and joy: Jesus is the Christ.

How about you? Do you accept anything besides the Bible as authoritative? Like any of the Creeds?
Quite like the book of Enoch

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you won't. I will be given the ability to travel great distances is seconds and will know the universe in hours,
even planet 12wx39erzwt.

But you will not. So you will not see me on planet 12wx39erzwt. Sorry.
Thank God for that then lol
Something else that has got my mind going
If you can travel great distances in seconds, and know the whole universe in hours,
And we have forever eternity to explore, then I will be bored in a matter of (hours) pardon the pun lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your error is that you have unilaterally decided to take the whole bible as the prophecy. The prophecy as John taught us was the prophecy of this book. Not the prophecy of any other book(s), but his book of Revelations. Don't be changing or adding or subtracting words from his book.

Have you ever compared Revelations from the KJV with Revelations from any of the other hundred or so versions of the bible? If you have you will understand what John meant. There are words that have been added, words that have been subtracted and words that have been changed by men and women throughout the centuries. What do we do with these people and there dubious activities????

Besides the books that LDS use besides the bible are not add-ons of the bible or extra words inserted into the bible, they are stand alone scriptures that have their own value, given by the word of God to a prophet of God. So the books we use obviously include the bible, that is a very important part of our scirptures. But we know that God will not restrict himself to the words of the bible. They represent a very very very small % of his words.
“This revelation “ is just for the book of revelation then!
Glad that’s settled

• Winner
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But Mormon beliefs say that when a Mormon dies he becomes a god
No, Mormons don't necessarily believe that. Lots more Mormons will not become gods than will become gods. It takes a full commitment every day and a powerful dose of the grace of Jesus Christ to even have the opportunity to become like God. So no, Mormons don't believe that when a Mormon dies he becomes a god. But we will at least have a chance.

Tell me what you think these 2 words mean: 'divine nature'???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I’m glad that all of you have studied the critics of the church to find out the truth about Mormonism. I always find it humorous that so many experts claim superior knowledge of Mormonism than those who read study and pray about the restored gospel. It is no different than conservatives differences than liberIals. You can claim the Joseph Smith made the whole thing up but he was murdered because of those beliefs. He gave himself up willingly into the shame and he knew it. He did not have to give himself and he could have moved out west where he forethought led the saints would go. Out of the restoration through which God worked through Joseph Smith we have the Book of Mormon, doctrine and covenants and pearl of great price. You can scoff and be critical but you do not know that you are any more correct than we are. You don’t have any original writings of the Bible and have to have faith that what is in there is from God. No proof that Jesus ever existed from the An Kent writings. You take it on faith. Give us the same privilege

We know at least one of you will come on soon and start correcting.
And as has been pointed out--he never gave himself willingly. He died defending himself--which he has every legal right to do, but no Christian martyr ever did so, he died shooting others and he died running away trying to climb out a window and was murdered by being shot in the back. That is all admitted by your church and you so we don't need to go over it again.
And we do know this for a fact and the Dead Sea Scrolls prove it and you know it but do not want to acknowledge it as fact. Jesus Christ read the same scriptures for they have been the same since the scrolls were found and they date to his time and before his time. Those scriptures are what was used to bring to Christianity all of the first Christians

Mat_26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
Mat_26:56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
Luk_24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk_24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Luk_24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Joh_5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Act_17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
Act_17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Act_18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
Act_18:28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.
Rom_1:2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Rom_15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Rom_16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
1Co_15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co_15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
2Ti_3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Pe_3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

How much more do you need to know the OT is what Jesus and all the first Christians used for salvation and if Jesus thought they needed anything different, He would have said so. The NT had not been written yet and they were letters sent to all the churches and if they needed revision, John, in Revelation was told. The 7 churches had their faults, (except for Philippians)they were pointed out. No where in the OT was there anything about God being human before being God, no where is there anything stated anything about existing before being born and if Jesus didn't know any of this stuff JS deemed so important---we don't either. If it was nit needed for the salvation of anyone---why would it be needed now? Jesus came to fulfill the scriptures, which He did. There have been prophets and messages through out time since Jesus and there will be more, they must be one with what has been already shown. The disciples clearly stated if anyone comes with a different gospel, they are accursed. This is clearly a different gospel and that is the wording you guys used to use years ago wasn't it--another story of Jesus. We have what Jesus grew up with and the disciples, we don't need another one!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Is it true that Mormons believe that black skin or negros are a curse given from God?
It was a long time ago that some of the leaders of the church speculated that the reason that Negroes had dark skin is because they were cursed of God for not being valiant in the pre-existence war against lucifer and his angels.

Jesus had not revealed to them why, and so many put forward their own opinion on the subject and for a time, this was a prevailing thought. It was short lived, however, and since the Lord did not reveal anything more about it, it soon fell out of favor, and was never canonized as official doctrine. We hear very little of that concept today except from anti-Mormons.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We know at least one of you will come on soon and start correcting.
And as has been pointed out--he never gave himself willingly. He died defending himself--which he has every legal right to do, but no Christian martyr ever did so, he died shooting others and he died running away trying to climb out a window and was murdered by being shot in the back. That is all admitted by your church and you so we don't need to go over it again.
And we do know this for a fact and the Dead Sea Scrolls prove it and you know it but do not want to acknowledge it as fact. Jesus Christ read the same scriptures for they have been the same since the scrolls were found and they date to his time and before his time. Those scriptures are what was used to bring to Christianity all of the first Christians

Mat_26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
Mat_26:56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
Luk_24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk_24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Luk_24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Joh_5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Act_17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
Act_17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Act_18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
Act_18:28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.
Rom_1:2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Rom_15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Rom_16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
1Co_15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co_15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
2Ti_3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Pe_3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

How much more do you need to know the OT is what Jesus and all the first Christians used for salvation and if Jesus thought they needed anything different, He would have said so. The NT had not been written yet and they were letters sent to all the churches and if they needed revision, John, in Revelation was told. The 7 churches had their faults, (except for Philippians)they were pointed out. No where in the OT was there anything about God being human before being God, no where is there anything stated anything about existing before being born and if Jesus didn't know any of this stuff JS deemed so important---we don't either. If it was nit needed for the salvation of anyone---why would it be needed now? Jesus came to fulfill the scriptures, which He did. There have been prophets and messages through out time since Jesus and there will be more, they must be one with what has been already shown. The disciples clearly stated if anyone comes with a different gospel, they are accursed. This is clearly a different gospel and that is the wording you guys used to use years ago wasn't it--another story of Jesus. We have what Jesus grew up with and the disciples, we don't need another one!
We don't need another different story. But we can always allow for another witness that Jesus is the Christ. Another story that is the same story. Why would you limit God to just the bible??????? You have to know that the words of God in the bible represent a very very very small % of Gods word. So why limit God???????????

For instance if you learned that Jesus came to the Americas after his resurrection, why would you not clamber to find out what he did there and what he said there and why he went there in the first place (which should be easy to answer)????

But no, I will never read that event, I have the bible. Pretty narrow minded if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you.

Then we can agree that JS has not added or subtracted to the Book of Revelations.

Nevertheless, he claimed that multiple "revelations" which contradict the Bible were from God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Is it true that Mormons believe that black skin or negros are a curse given from God?
Short answer: No. The LDS faith does not say anything of African descent.
If you want to talk about one family of people living in the Americas 600 AD, we can talk about that.
Or if you just want a longer answer, I can talk about that as well.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We don't need another different story. But we can always allow for another witness that Jesus is the Christ. Another story that is the same story. Why would you limit God to just the bible??????? You have to know that the words of God in the bible represent a very very very small % of Gods word. So why limit God???????????

For instance if you learned that Jesus came to the Americas after his resurrection, why would you not clamber to find out what he did there and what he said there and why he went there in the first place (which should be easy to answer)????

But no, I will never read that event, I have the bible. Pretty narrow minded if you ask me.

I would never limit God! I limit men who do not teach the already stated concepts that Jesus Himself followed and did not change. I have learned no such thing. The prophecies all pointed to Him being born in the om Bethlehem, raised and died in Israel and resurrected there. From there He gave instructions to His followers that THEY would be going to all the world. Not of question of being narrow minded but of following His instructions to not go after other gospels and to discern the spirits.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Short answer: No. The LDS faith does not say anything of African descent.
If you want to talk about one family of people living in the Americas 600 AD, we can talk about that.
Or if you just want a longer answer, I can talk about that as well.
You didn’t answer my question,
I’m not asking do lds think African decent are cursed,
I’m asking, is it not in the book of Mormons that black skin is seen as a curse from God?
Straight question
Straight answer, yes or no?

Upvote 0