Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
He made it up as he went along. He began by claiming that all branches of Christianity were apostate and that God removed true Christianity from the earth with the deaths of Christ's orginial apostles. When he dictated the Book of Mormon to a scribe, he added words to discredit tne Bible.

That was after he claimed that he saw two resurrected men who he claimed were the Father and the Son (they look like identical twins when artists depict them):

Mormon First Vision.jpg
Painting: The First Vision by Del Parson.

...13 At length I came to the conclusion that I must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else I must do as James directs, that is, ask of God. I at length came to the determination to “ask of God,” concluding that if he gave wisdom to them that lacked wisdom, and would give liberally, and not upbraid, I might venture.

14 So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally.

15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.

16 But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”
The Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith History, Chapter 1
Joseph Smith—History 1

From the Book of Mormon, this is what the LDS teach about the Bible:

24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book [the Bible] hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.
Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13: 24-29

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Mormon scripture consists of the KJV Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. They are sometimes called the Standard Works.

Book of Mormon | LDS.org
The Doctrine and Covenants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Pearl of Great Price

View attachment 217630
Available as a "quadruple combination."

God bless you. I'm SO GRATEFUL to God that you are a Christian now. :)

A few years ago I did some research into Mormonism. I think what prompted me was someone saying "Mormonism isn't Christian" or some such. I had always assumed they were Christian, just with some different ways of doing things. To be frank, I was astounded by what I discovered. From the history of Joseph Smith to the Book of Abraham and right through to today. I had no idea.

Do you think the internet has had a big effect on the outreach of the church? Since people are able to research, is Mormonism losing members? I've wondered.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

A few years ago I did some research into Mormonism. I think what prompted me was someone saying "Mormonism isn't Christian" or some such. I had always assumed they were Christian, just with some different ways of doing things. To be frank, I was astounded by what I discovered. From the history of Joseph Smith to the Book of Abraham and right through to today. I had no idea.

Do you think the internet has had a big effect on the outreach of the church? Since people are able to research, is Mormonism losing members? I've wondered.

I don't know. I hope so, yet I trust God to bring the sheep to Christ.

BTW, Joseph Smith also said:

20 He again forbade me to join with any of them; and many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time. When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking up into heaven. When the light had departed, I had no strength; but soon recovering in some degree, I went home. And as I leaned up to the fireplace, mother inquired what the matter was. I replied, “Never mind, all is well—I am well enough off.” I then said to my mother, “I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true.” ...
Joseph Smith—History 1

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
One of the Bible verses that Mormons interpret their own way is John 14:23 " Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

Doctrine and Covenants 130
3 John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

In the same section of the D&C is this:

22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.
D&C 130

However, they teach that mortals are influenced by the Holy Ghost rather than being indwelt by him, because his spirit takes up space and can be in only one place at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
One of the Bible verses that Mormons interpret their own way is John 14:23 " Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

3 John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.

In the same section of the D&C is this:

22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.
D&C 130

However, they teach that mortals are influenced by the Holy Ghost rather being indwelt by him, because his spirit takes up space and can be in only one place at a time.

Gads---and yet one more reason to walk away from them. They said that the bible is accurate only as it is interpreted correctly----so what is their interpretation of this verse?

I was reading the D&C130--
"I answer, Yes. But there are no angels who minister to this earth but those who do belong or have belonged to it."

How do they belong to this world when the angels were created before us and before this world? This world was made for us--not them and it is to us that it will return. Makes no sense. In fact--precious little of that entire "covenant" makes sense.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Is there any evidence that Smith did not meet an angel?

The question that needs to be asked is:
Is there any evidence he did?

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I hope so, yet I trust God to bring the sheep to Christ.

BTW, Joseph Smith also said:

20 He again forbade me to join with any of them; and many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time. When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking up into heaven. When the light had departed, I had no strength; but soon recovering in some degree, I went home. And as I leaned up to the fireplace, mother inquired what the matter was. I replied, “Never mind, all is well—I am well enough off.” I then said to my mother, “I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true.” ...
Joseph Smith—History 1

In my Christian life I have been United Methodist, Evangelical Lutheran, Congregationalist, and Evangelical Presbyterian. Mormons seem to make much of denominations but the differences between most Protestant denominations are actually pretty small. At any rate, there are many more similarities than differences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The question that needs to be asked is:
Is there any evidence he did?

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
Isn’t it in that book he wrote?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Isn’t it in that book he wrote?

What is? Proof that he saw an angel? There is none. There were some friends and relatives of his that said they saw the golden plates, and they said they saw them "in the spirit." So no, they didn't actually see them. What "in the spirit" means--I don't know. Just in their minds?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But even if we or an angel out of heaven should preach a gospel to you contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let him be accursed! -Gal 1.8​

@Phoebe Ann, It seems safe to say that Smith went "beyond what is written" (1Cor 4.6)

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’m glad that all of you have studied the critics of the church to find out the truth about Mormonism. I always find it humorous that so many experts claim superior knowledge of Mormonism than those who read study and pray about the restored gospel. It is no different than conservatives differences than liberIals. You can claim the Joseph Smith made the whole thing up but he was murdered because of those beliefs. He gave himself up willingly into the shame and he knew it. He did not have to give himself and he could have moved out west where he forethought led the saints would go. Out of the restoration through which God worked through Joseph Smith we have the Book of Mormon, doctrine and covenants and pearl of great price. You can scoff and be critical but you do not know that you are any more correct than we are. You don’t have any original writings of the Bible and have to have faith that what is in there is from God. No proof that Jesus ever existed from the An Kent writings. You take it on faith. Give us the same privilege

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m glad that all of you have studied the critics of the church to find out the truth about Mormonism. I always find it humorous that so many experts claim superior knowledge of Mormonism than those who read study and pray about the restored gospel. It is no different than conservatives differences than liberIals. You can claim the Joseph Smith made the whole thing up but he was murdered because of those beliefs. He gave himself up willingly into the shame and he knew it. He did not have to give himself and he could have moved out west where he forethought led the saints would go. Out of the restoration through which God worked through Joseph Smith we have the Book of Mormon, doctrine and covenants and pearl of great price. You can scoff and be critical but you do not know that you are any more correct than we are. You don’t have any original writings of the Bible and have to have faith that what is in there is from God. No proof that Jesus ever existed from the An Kent writings. You take it on faith. Give us the same privilege
Actually, Joseph Smith got what the Bible promised him. Bold text is mine, for emphasis.

Galatians 1:
6I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

2 Cor 11:
12And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mormon scripture consists of the KJV Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. They are sometimes called the Standard Works.

Book of Mormon | LDS.org
The Doctrine and Covenants of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Pearl of Great Price

View attachment 217630
Available as a "quadruple combination."
I used to be a supporter of Saints alive, AKA "Ex mormons for Jesus, back in the 80's. I confess that I don't get into this stuff much any more. However, I do use the knowledge I gained from that study and things like your post. I mostly now just focus on the message of Jesus and if mormonism comes up I am armed to explain why, though it has the appearance of Christianity, it denies the foundation upon which it rests.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
LDS are Christians, despite what some people will tell you. I gave my life to Christ at age 5, and follow Him every day. He is my Savor, Lord, and King. The ever lasting Son of God. I also celebrate your relationship with Christ, as a fellow Christian.
The LDS church is growing :). Online mission are actually the most efficient for reaching people, teaching truths, and generally sharing information.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
If you want evidence of that, the best place to look for it is to ask God.
In my Christian life I have been United Methodist, Evangelical Lutheran, Congregationalist, and Evangelical Presbyterian. Mormons seem to make much of denominations but the differences between most Protestant denominations are actually pretty small. At any rate, there are many more similarities than differences.
It is true the difference between Evangelical Presbyterian and Evangelical Lutheran are small. The differences are larger if comparing different Catholic and Orthodox branches.
But even if we or an angel out of heaven should preach a gospel to you contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let him be accursed! -Gal 1.8​
I actually find Gal 1 to be very affirming of my faith. And no, the message of verse 8 is not to "run away because all messengers of God are evil. Rather, the entire message is to search and study diligently, and look to God Himself (and not man) for confirmation of Truth.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LDS are Christians, despite what some people will tell you. I gave my life to Christ at age 5, and follow Him every day. He is my Savor, Lord, and King. The ever lasting Son of God. I also celebrate your relationship with Christ, as a fellow Christian.

The LDS church is growing :). Online mission are actually the most efficient for reaching people, teaching truths, and generally sharing information.
Have you ever read "Mama, Mormonism and Me"? It speaks of the mormon need to shed your own blood for your salvation. Jesus' blood only did part of the job.

That being said, I have no doubt there are Christians in the mormon church, but the message of the church is not Christian.

Check out Recovery from Mormonism - the Mormon Church and the other ex-mormon sites.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is one perspective.

Here are some more: Recovery from Mormonism - the Mormon Church

Upvote 0