Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It should surprise no one but Mormons that JS didn't know things that the people of his time and place didn't know either, since it's only Mormons that believe that JS had access to all kinds of special knowledge, and that JS/the BOM is being more and more proven right with advancements in science. (Actual scientists who aren't bought off by the LDS propaganda machine don't agree with that, obviously.)

It's no surprise, then, that our resident Mormons have nothing to say in response beyond the by now very tired non-reply of "Yeah, well, you too!", as though Christians have ever claimed that God lives on or near a star named Kolob or on any other star. :rolleyes:

And still after all the years I've spent here so far discussing things with them, I can't understand why the best they can apparently shoot for in a mixed faith environment is to be considered equal with Christianity, a religion which they and their founding prophet believe to be corrupted beyond repair. Aiming pretty low there, aren't you guys?
I am aiming high, to know God and all things.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Do I understand correctly that to astronomers there is no such star as Kolob?

I checked a list of stars and the alphabetical list goes from Kochab to Kornephoros.

If there were a Kolob known to science, it should be between those two.

Kochab [or] Kokab Ursa Minor star
Kornephoros Hercules club-bearer

Link to list of stars with names.
Star Names List
Not every star in our galaxy has a name. I doubt that even 1% of them have been named. No one even knows where Kolob is at.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is called faith.

Now you finally say it. It not based on facts, in our knowledge of the God of this universe from the scriptures, but from your faith in one man, Joseph Smith. He can not, and never will, save anyone, including Himself. There is no other name by which we may be saved---Jesus Christ. None of the writings of JS point to Jesus as our ONLY Savior, the ONLY Son of God. They do point to him.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I am aiming high, to know God and all things.

Then get away from the writings of JS, he paints an ineffectual, powerless, god that is nothing like the real God of this universe who is all powerful, who's very voice is obeyed by even the elements ---who when He says be fruitful and multiply did not require a fallen angel to cause His creation to sin before they could have children!! The real Majestic, loving God that saves all who follow Him into His presence---not just a select few---all will be in His presence. The real God does not require any wife. The real God will destroy all sin---He will not let it continue by giving any man godhood that they have children that require salvation over and over, filling more planets with evil!! No--He will get rid of it permanently. You do not know the real God of the bible, the Son, nor the Holy Spirit, for He is everywhere at the same time, not like your feeble caricature of a holy spirit that can only be in one place at a time!! There is so much that you are not acquainted with because JS did not know the real God.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Not every star in our galaxy has a name. I doubt that even 1% of them have been named. No one even knows where Kolob is at.

God has named them all---the real God that created them.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Now you finally say it. It not based on facts, in our knowledge of the God of this universe from the scriptures, but from your faith in one man, Joseph Smith. He can not, and never will, save anyone, including Himself. There is no other name by which we may be saved---Jesus Christ. None of the writings of JS point to Jesus as our ONLY Savior, the ONLY Son of God. They do point to him.
Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. God has given us prophets for the perfecting of the saints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes God has named them all and one is named Kolob.

Yah, could be He might have run out of names and decided to call some planet or star that----Nothing in the bible says He lives on a planet---it only says he lives on the 3rd heaven. That 3rd heaven could be much larger than any planet. He has billions of angels with Him. It could very well be a vast expanse with no planet involved at all. Other than 3rd heaven, I see no reason to believe He lives on some planet called Kolob because someone says he had a vision from God.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I never said He was and please do not get on that ridiculous line of yours.
Well that means that there was never a time when nothing existed. That is not ridiculous because it is true. God has always existed and we know He is something.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yah, could be He might have run out of names and decided to call some planet or star that----Nothing in the bible says He lives on a planet---it only says he lives on the 3rd heaven. That 3rd heaven could be much larger than any planet. He has billions of angels with Him. It could very well be a vast expanse with no planet involved at all. Other than 3rd heaven, I see no reason to believe He lives on some planet called Kolob because someone says he had a vision from God.
Kolob is not a planet, it is a star close to where God lives. God's kingdom is not of the earth:

(New Testament | John 18:36)

36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that means that there was never a time when nothing existed. That is not ridiculous because it is true. God has always existed and we know He is something.
Your posts remind me of 1 Corinthians 13:11a

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Is it true that some Mormons believe that Kolob is at the center of our galaxy?

Is it true that some Mormons believe that Sirius is Kolob?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes and yes.

Apparently the only source for Kolob in Mormon scripture is the Book of Abraham.

As you know, I extensively criticized the Book of Abraham on another thread.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0