Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brothers/Sisters in Christ,

Can you someone help out on the meaning of John 15:7 (NIV) "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you."

What does Jesus mean when he says "remain in me"? How to remain in Him?

It means to live in or as Christ. KJV says this.

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you."

So if we live in Christ or as Christ then his words live in us. The same way people say stay in the word. It not a physical thing but a spiritual one. Like when Paul said we are crucified with Christ.

Hope this helps, God bless!

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means to live in or as Christ. KJV says this.

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you."

So if we live in Christ or as Christ then his words live in us. The same way people say stay in the word. It not a physical thing but a spiritual one. Like when Paul said we are crucified with Christ.

Hope this helps, God bless!

There are two parts before asking what ye want i.e. remain in me (abide in me or live in me and my words abide in you).

While I understand my words part as in his words to be in us, I still find it difficult to grasp the concept or notion of "remain in me (abide in me). How do you live in him (the first part before His words abide in us)? Sorry... I have trouble understanding "remain in me" and these words have recently pop up a number of times.

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... How to remain in Him?

First you have to become "in him" by actually receiving His Spirit:

"ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his" (Romans 8:9)

See Acts 2:4 or 10:44-48 for details.

Then learn to "walk in the Spirit".

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First you have to become "in him" by actually receiving His Spirit:

"ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his" (Romans 8:9)

See Acts 2:4 or 10:44-48 for details.

Then learn to "walk in the Spirit".

Thanks for the clarification. So if I have received him and "in Him" but have sinned down the road, does that mean He has "left me". And, if so, what happen next? Repent again? Do we lose our salvation?

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the clarification. So if I have received him and "in Him" but have sinned down the road, does that mean He has "left me". And, if so, what happen next? Repent again? Do we lose our salvation?

No, he will never leave you in this life (Heb. 13:5) and you will sin (1 John 1:8).
What happens next is that you learn to walk in the Spirit, in so doing your thought sand desires will change so that your desire to sin declines.

"Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other:
so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law" (Gal. 5:16-18)

Jesus doen't just say "I forgive your sin" ... man would sin all the more!
He gives powerr over sin, a new and living way.

But, this is all just nice sounding words unless you have actually received the new life ... have you?

If you have then learn to be taught of him then you will know, instead of having answers from me that seem to be right but you are not 100% sure.

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, he will never leave you in this life (Heb. 13:5) and you will sin (1 John 1:8).
What happens next is that you learn to walk in the Spirit, in so doing your thought sand desires will change so that your desire to sin declines.

"Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other:
so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law" (Gal. 5:16-18)

Jesus doen't just say "I forgive your sin" ... man would sin all the more!
He gives powerr over sin, a new and living way.

But, this is all just nice sounding words unless you have actually received the new life ... have you?

If you have then learn to be taught of him then you will know, instead of having answers from me that seem to be right but you are not 100% sure.

The process is called Sanctification by Catholic? I'm having trouble recently due to readings into Church history and Catholicism.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can you someone help out on the meaning of John 15:7 (NIV) "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you."

Better rendering of the verse:
John 15:7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Abide, meaning close to, within, intimate knowledge of Christ through His word of the Bible, believing it, living it (by His grace), by reading and studying His word often, daily, if not more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Look Up

"What is unseen is eternal"
Jul 16, 2010
✟16,230.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

1) John uses the verb "remain" forty times in his Gospel and twenty in 1 John; it is a favorite verb. Not all uses of course concern "remaining in" God or Jesus or the word or the like (e.g., μείνατε ἐν ἐμοί, "remain in Me," John 15:4). See below for a partial list (where as in other points below, "remain" = "abide" = "continue").

2) "Vine" and "vineyard" imagery is used in the OT (e.g., Isaiah 5), Synoptic Gospels (e.g., Mk. 12), and outside the canon (e.g., Gospel of Thomas), but not all in the same way. In John 15, Jesus is the vine rather than, for example, the vineyard worker or owner.

3) In John 15:1-11, John develops his (or rather Jesus') vine metaphor so that for example "remaining in Jesus" language draws on the analogy of a branch abiding in the main vine, as it were to receive sustenance necessary for the life of the branch; the believer is the branch and Jesus is the vine into which the branch is grafted. Such metaphorical picture may or may not be intended in Johannine "remaining in Jesus (etc.)" language outside John 15, though the idea of faithfulness and continuation would seem to carry through.

4) Remaining in Jesus requires obedience to Jesus' commandments (John 15:9-10, 1 John 3:24--"The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him," 1 John 2:6--"the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked," cf. "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments," John 14:15).

And at the same time, remaining in Jesus is necessary to producing fruit (John 15:4-6) which glorifies God (John 15:8) and which (fruit) would include obedience.

Remaining in Jesus is a vital, life-giving and loving relationship as well as an obligation
. "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love" John 15:9-10. "If we love one another, God abides in us," 1 John 4:12.

5) In John 15:7 as elsewhere, remaining in Jesus is tied to Jesus' words remaining in His disciples ("if you remain in Me and My words remain in you"). "So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine," John 8:31. Or by contrast, "You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent," John 5:38. "Remaining in His word" language means faithfully obeying, believing, confessing, communing (see the verses list below).

6) Verses List. See for yourself (from NASB translation and note again that "remain" = "abide" = "continue" in the Greek original).

John 5:38 You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.
John 6:56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
John 8:31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.
John 15:4-7 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
John 15:9-10 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
1 John 2:6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
1 John 2:24 As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
1 John 2:27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
1 John 3:6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.
1 John 3:24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
1 John 4:12-16 12 No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
7) Thus to bear fruit to the glory of God, disciples must continually draw life from Jesus the Vine; Jesus gives the life necessary for communing with, trusting, obeying, loving. And the disciples are commanded to bear fruit faithfully, obey, trust, and love God and the brothers (meaning brothers and sisters) in Christ. Or as Paul says, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:12-13 ESV).

If the disciple of Jesus continually draws life from Jesus and loves and obeys Him, s/he will walk as Jesus walked in the good pleasure of the Father, and whatever such person asks in prayer will willingly be in accord with what God wishes, hence "it will be given you."

Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) John uses the verb "remain" forty times in his Gospel and twenty in 1 John; it is a favorite verb. Not all uses of course concern "remaining in" God or Jesus or the word or the like (e.g., μείνατε ἐν ἐμοί, "remain in Me," John 15:4). See below for a partial list (where as in other points below, "remain" = "abide" = "continue").

2) "Vine" and "vineyard" imagery is used in the OT (e.g., Isaiah 5), Synoptic Gospels (e.g., Mk. 12), and outside the canon (e.g., Gospel of Thomas), but not all in the same way. In John 15, Jesus is the vine rather than, for example, the vineyard worker or owner.

3) In John 15:1-11, John develops his (or rather Jesus') vine metaphor so that for example "remaining in Jesus" language draws on the analogy of a branch abiding in the main vine, as it were to receive sustenance necessary for the life of the branch; the believer is the branch and Jesus is the vine into which the branch is grafted. Such metaphorical picture may or may not be intended in Johannine "remaining in Jesus (etc.)" language outside John 15, though the idea of faithfulness and continuation would seem to carry through.

4) Remaining in Jesus requires obedience to Jesus' commandments (John 15:9-10, 1 John 3:24--"The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him," 1 John 2:6--"the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked," cf. "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments," John 14:15).

And at the same time, remaining in Jesus is necessary to producing fruit (John 15:4-6) which glorifies God (John 15:8) and which (fruit) would include obedience.

Remaining in Jesus is a vital, life-giving and loving relationship as well as an obligation
. "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love" John 15:9-10. "If we love one another, God abides in us," 1 John 4:12.

5) In John 15:7 as elsewhere, remaining in Jesus is tied to Jesus' words remaining in His disciples ("if you remain in Me and My words remain in you"). "So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine," John 8:31. Or by contrast, "You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent," John 5:38. "Remaining in His word" language means faithfully obeying, believing, confessing, communing (see the verses list below).

6) Verses List. See for yourself (from NASB translation and note again that "remain" = "abide" = "continue" in the Greek original).

John 5:38 You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.
John 6:56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
John 8:31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.
John 15:4-7 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
John 15:9-10 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
1 John 2:6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
1 John 2:24 As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
1 John 2:27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
1 John 3:6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.
1 John 3:24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
1 John 4:12-16 12 No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
7) Thus to bear fruit to the glory of God, disciples must continually draw life from Jesus the Vine; Jesus gives the life necessary for communing with, trusting, obeying, loving. And the disciples are commanded to bear fruit faithfully, obey, trust, and love God and the brothers (meaning brothers and sisters) in Christ. Or as Paul says, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:12-13 ESV).

If the disciple of Jesus continually draws life from Jesus and loves and obeys Him, s/he will walk as Jesus walked in the good pleasure of the Father, and whatever such person asks in prayer will willingly be in accord with what God wishes, hence "it will be given you."

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I understand what "remain in me" meant now.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The KJV uses the word "abide" (which is essentially the same as "remain") and translates into "continue" (in practical terms).

Strong's Concordance (3306)
menó: to stay, abide, remain
Original Word:μένω
Part of Speech:Verb
Transliteration:menó
Phonetic Spelling:men'-o
Short Definition:I remain, abide
Definition:I remain, abide, stay, wait; with acc: I wait for, await.

To continue with Christ is to:
1. Continue to trust the Bible as the written Word of God.
2. Continue to obey Christ in all that is taught in the New Testament.
3. Continue to fellowship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in thanksgiving, praise, worship and prayer.
4. Continue to fellowship with other like-minded believers.
5. Continue to look to God and Christ for all things (material and spiritual).
6. Continue to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is exactly the point. Taking 1 or 2 verses out of context does not provide a real rendering of the situation but instead gives a false image.
That's exactly what post #22 does so for the benefit of the original questioner and anyone else I gave the context which shows the conclusion given to be wrong. People can and of course should check these things out for themselves.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People need to understand that salvation is not a point in time in someone's life, Salvation is life! And that life can only be found in believing in Jesus' work of the cross and trusting Him to teach, guide, and transform us as we walk out our faith simply as the New Testament teaches.

What Jesus meant was that in order to abide, one must remain in relationship with Him and Father God by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Plenty of people get in right standing with God only to fall away and get wrapped up in life and other pursuits. They don't "remain" in Him by faith.

"Remaining" in Him isn't complicated, read the Bible, learn of His ways, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you, be prepared to be changed and transformed.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That passage is like this one:

"Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

...The claim would seem overstated, but is not, but rather should be taken literally after first taking the death of the old man and the birth of the new man literally. Romans 6:6 That is what is meant by "abiding" in Him, that being One, nothing is impossible.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Trust in Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up to remove a LOT of Off Topic (OT) posts.

This is the OP of the thread:

The OP is clear what they are asking. This is NOT about speaking in tongues or anything else but what the OP is asking. Please stay on topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0