Jesus prophesied that we would be keeping the Sabbath until He returns in Matthew 24

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My point is that not everything that Jesus said applies to us today.

Certainly it is true that a number of people today are not happy with the teachings of Jesus.

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly it is true that a number of people today are not happy with the teachings of Jesus.
I'm certainly happy with the teachings of Jesus. But as I talked about earlier, he also told a cleansed leper to go show himself to the priest and offer an animal sacrifice.

We don't do that today.

• Agree
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm certainly happy with the teachings of Jesus. But as I talked about earlier, he also told a cleansed leper to go show himself to the priest and offer an animal sacrifice.

Which many people today would accept as spoken at a point prior to the time that Heb 10:4-12 says put an end to animal sacrifices and the time when Heb 7 says marks the end of the Levitical priesthood.

Not the same thing as "its ok to take God's name in vain today since the Levitical priesthood ended"

Which then brings us back to the actual on-topic subject of this thread.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which many people today would accept as spoken at a point prior to the time that Heb 10:4-12 says put an end to animal sacrifices and the time when Heb 7 says marks the end of the Levitical priesthood.

Not the same thing as "its ok to take God's name in vain today since the Levitical priesthood ended"

Which then brings us back to the actual on-topic subject of this thread.
That's right, Jesus told people to do things that we don't do today.

Then I bring up the idea of a Sabbath Day's journey, something that the scribes and the Pharisees taught. I think that relates very much to the thread topic, about a flight on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do not know of any SDA church or conference who thinks we are to be disobedient to the Sabbath rest (commandment) which we do not keep to be saved, we keep through love and divine worship of our Savior on His blessed and holy day. God does not force us to keep the Sabbath rest and to receive His rest we must cease our works like He does Hebrews 4:10 on the seventh day Hebrews 4:4, Genesis 2:1-3 which is the Sabbath according to our Lord and Savior Exodus 20:10
Paul said he was a Pharisee of Pharisees before his conversion. After his conversion he fought against Judaizers (Pharisees who converted) that troubled the church by trying to bully them using OT law as we see in Acts 15 and Acts 21:24-25. Modern day Judaizer persist.

Jesus convsersed about Mosaic Law (which includes the 10 commandments) with Pharisees & Sadusees who mainly hated Him. And although Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic Law, we see a transition going to the New Covenant as Jesus did not speak of Mosiaic Law with his disciples, but rather gave them the new love commandments. I believe this was done largely as He envisioned a Gentile Church that was not encombered by Jewish Ceremonial Law (read Acts 15). Jesus emphsized loving God first. other believers, and even your enemies. He commanded His disciples to keep His commandments. He did not mean the Mosaic Law (which includes the 10 commandments) as Jesus never spoke of them with His disciples. He only spoke about Mosaic Laws (and 10 commandments) with outsiders, who were largely enemies - as His enemies were trying to find fault and justify themselves.

Mention of some of the 10 commandments in the Epistles are made to identify sin. Those commandments still persist where they overlap love commandments from Jesus. Resting on a particular day does not overlay Jesus's love commandments.

Acts and the Epistles show that believers met both on Saturday and Sunday. And yet we have the SDA proclaiming most of Christianity is in rebelliion to Gods command by resting and attending church on Sunday instead of Saturday. I don't have any problem with Chiristans taking their day of rest on any day as their conscience may lead or because they may need to work weekends. When heresy accusations fly over the rest day, I am remided of the many battles Jesus and Paul had with the Pharisees and Judaizers who wanted to trouble others (like Galatians 5:12). There are no invocations to observe the Sabbath in Acts and the Eplistles (which are the only portions of the Bible written to believers) - if the exact 'day of rest' was important to NT believers, it would demanded in Acts or the Epistles. Most Christians sects agree with the pricicple of a day of rest dedicated to the Lord - but, again, as to which day it is not important because it is not called out in Acts or the Epistles.

Per their prophet, the SDA envisions themselves as being persecuted in the end times over observing Saturday as their rest day. Ironically, they try to convert Christians to the SDA by demanding we rest on Saturday instead of Sunday - as if the exact day makes a difference.

And the invocations to 'worship the Lord from Sabbath to Sabbath' in Isaiah 66, which seems to be their strongest argument, is simply saying the equivent to 'worship the Lord 24/7'.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul said he was a Pharisee of Pharisees before his conversion. After his conversion he fought against Judaizers (Pharisees who converted) that troubled the church by trying to bully them using OT law as we see in Acts 15 and Acts 21:24-25. Modern day Judaizer persist.

Jesus convsersed about Mosaic Law (which includes the 10 commandments) with Pharisees & Sadusees who mainly hated Him. And although Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic Law, we see a transition going to the New Covenant as Jesus did not speak of Mosiaic Law with his disciples, but rather gave them the new love commandments. I believe this was done largely as He envisioned a Gentile Church that was not encombered by Jewish Ceremonial Law (read Acts 15). Jesus emphsized loving God first. other believers, and even your enemies. He commanded His disciples to keep His commandments. He did not mean the Mosaic Law (which includes the 10 commandments) as Jesus never spoke of them with His disciples. He only spoke about Mosaic Laws (and 10 commandments) with outsiders, who were largely enemies - as His enemies were trying to find fault and justify themselves.

Mention of some of the 10 commandments in the Epistles are made to identify sin. Those commandments still persist where they overlap love commandments from Jesus. Resting on a particular day does not overlay Jesus's love commandments.
And yet we have the SDA proclaiming most of Christianity is in rebelliion to Gods command by resting and attending church on Sunday instead of Saturday. I don't have any problem with Chiristans taking their day of rest on any day as their conscience may lead or because they may need to work weekends. When heresy accusations fly over the rest day, I am remided of the many battles Jesus and Paul had with the Pharisees and Judaizers who wanted to trouble others (like Galatians 5:12). There are no invocations to observe the Sabbath in Acts and the Eplistles (which are the only portions of the Bible written to believers) - if the exact 'day of rest' was important to NT believers, it would demanded in Acts or the Epistles. Most Christians sects agree with the pricicple of a day of rest dedicated to the Lord - but, again, as to which day it is not important because it is not called out in Acts or the Epistles.

Per their prophet, the SDA envisions themselves as being persecuted in the end times over observing Saturday as their rest day. Ironically, they try to convert Christians to the SDA by demanding we rest on Saturday instead of Sunday - as if the exact day makes a difference.

And the invocations to 'worship the Lord from Sabbath to Sabbath' in Isaiah 66, which seems to be their strongest argument, is simply saying the equivent to 'worship the Lord 24/7'.

We must be reading different Bibles because Jesus came to do the will of His Father John 6:38 and came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21 and spent His time teaching His Fathers commandments- which include the Ten Commandments.

Let’s take a look at what Jesus taught regarding His Fathers commandments. Just one example:

Matthew 15: 3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

This is a very powerful teaching of Jesus that so many people choose to cast aside because Jesus clearly is teaching us that the commandments of God is our standard of living, not the teachings of man. When we follow the teachings of man over the commandments of God it makes the commandment of no effect and you worship in vain. This example came right from the Ten Commandments which is in a unit of Ten, not nine or one. Exodus 34:28 and there is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God and it certainly is not what Jesus taught or followed. Scripture says you break one commandment you break them all again quoting from the Ten Commandments. James 2:10-12

Acts and the Epistles show that believers met both on Saturday and Sunday. And yet we have the SDA proclaiming most of Christianity is in rebelliion to Gods command by resting and attending church on Sunday instead of Saturday.
I’m not sure if you realize this but our opinions are not scripture. The apostles met everyday but there is only scripture stating they met every Sabbath to preach the Word of God to Jews, Gentiles and whole cities and a pattern of Sabbath-keeping, just like Jesus Luke 4:16. The mere fact the Sabbath is still the Sabbath in the New Testament and not “the seventh day” shows the Sabbath is still God’s holy day and should be honored Exodus 20:8-11 The Sabbath will always be God’s holy day, because this is the day God claimed above all others from the very beginning of time in very clear Words. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13 so again your argument is not with me or the SDA church because these words are from God.

We are to always worship the Lord 24/7 now, but that does not delete the Sabbath commandment. One Sabbath to another is not everyday. I go to church from one Sabbath to another does not mean I go to church everyday. We will not be bowing down to the Lord 24/7 in heaven as we will be working and doing things in heaven but on the Sabbath all flesh (the saints) will come to worship the Lord on His holy and blessed day for all eternity, like we should now per the commandment of God and teaching of scripture.

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

Nothing I say is going to convince you and thats okay, I am not the one you need to convince why you think you do not need to keep God’s holy Sabbath day, I’m just trying to help. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would wonder why when God himself made something special for us that we would not want to receive that gift?
I just started reading the posts and your question kinda intrigued me. To me it is more of a statement rather than a question and I have to take exception to your stating that God made something special for US and then went on and identified what that something special is supposed to be. I cannot find anywhere in scripture that God made Sabbath special for US. He made it as part of the package He contracted with Israel at Mt Sinai. I know Sabbath observers like to think God has made it for all, BUT that is nowhere found in all of scripture. History is proof that no other nation on Earth has ever been called to observe days by God.

What gift really wonderful, God sent His Son to this fallen World to save US, every living soul on this Earth can accept Jesus as their Savior and rest assured they have eternal life. Jn3:16 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Jn5: 24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

Jn15: 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

The abiding of the Holy Spirit is Jesus gift to all. The ability to LOVE is a special gift to all mankind.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No doubt in Jesus' day the Bible Sabbath was being observed.

But in Matt 24 the Sabbath is to be a consideration for the followers of Christ long after Christ's resurrection. In fact it is to be a consideration going right into the "great tribulation" of Matt 24.
You state that as a fact Bob. The truth is that your statement is nothing but an assumption. We do not know why Jesus said to pray their flight not be on the Sabbath. Those to whom he was referring may have been observing Sunday or not observing any day. Not everyone would have even known what Jesus warned. The best we can figure was that the gates to the city would have been closed so that no one could escape and Jesus was warning His followers of a possible event.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Rev 22 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. John

Rev 14 :
Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
It is funny that you quote keep my commandments and of course since the subject is ten commandments you use "the commandments of God" as a reference. Jesus, on the other hand tells us He kept His Father's commands, which was Torah and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. He never mentions keeping Torah which contained the ten commandments. Love is a much greater command. He went on to describe what true love would do. True love would give ones life for others.

I render "commandments of God: to mean love for God and our fellow man and not the keeping of the now defunct weekly Sabbath that ended at Calvary where Jesus gave us the new and better covenant, the one with better promises.

• Useful
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is funny that you quote keep my commandments and of course since the subject is ten commandments you use "the commandments of God" as a reference. Jesus, on the other hand tells us He kept His Father's commands, which was Torah and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. He never mentions keeping Torah which contained the ten commandments. Love is a much greater command. He went on to describe what true love would do. True love would give ones life for others.

I render "commandments of God: to mean love for God and our fellow man and not the keeping of the now defunct weekly Sabbath that ended at Calvary where Jesus gave us the new and better covenant, the one with better promises.
Jesus taught the commandments of God- Jesus said it verbatim and quoted directly from the Ten Commandments. God and Jesus are One which means God's laws are Jesus laws.

Matthew 15: 3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

Jesus warns those who teach against the commandments again quoting directly from the Ten. Matthew 5:19-30 we are responsible for what we teach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
No doubt in Jesus' day the Bible Sabbath was being observed.

But in Matt 24 the Sabbath is to be a consideration for the followers of Christ long after Christ's resurrection. In fact it is to be a consideration going right into the "great tribulation" of Matt 24.

You state that as a fact Bob.

True because I read Matt 24 and pay attention to the details it points out.

The truth is that your statement is nothing but an assumption.

Until you read Matt 24 and pay attention to the details it points out.

18 And whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak. 19 But woe to those women who are pregnant, and to those who are nursing babies in those days!20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will again. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘He is over here,’ do not believe him. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and will provide great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. 25 Behold, I have told you in advance. 26 So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. 27 For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. 31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet blast, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will again. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no life would have been saved;

So the connection between THE Sabbath and "Great Tribulation" such as never was...so great that "no life would saved" if it were not "cut short" -- is a "detail" that is "IN" the text.

Certainly we could all imagine an alternate world where that Bible detail did not exist and it was merely my "assumption".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is funny that you quote keep my commandments and of course since the subject is ten commandments you use "the commandments of God" as a reference. Jesus, on the other hand tells us He kept His Father's commands, which was Torah and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. He never mentions keeping Torah which contained the ten commandments. .

Until you read His actual teaching in Matt 19 where He is specifically asked "WHICH ONES" and His answer is from that very unit of ten you are rejecting above.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

by not actually quoting the text you skim over details that do not support your narrow focus just then.

1. Paul's testimony while on trials was not limited to "I USED TO BE a Pharisee until I became a Christian". He said "I AM A PHARISEE".

Acts 23:
4 But the bystanders said, “Do you revile God’s high priest?” 5 And Paul said, “I was not aware, brethren, that he was high priest; for it is written, ‘You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’”

6 But perceiving that one group were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, Paul began crying out in the Council, “Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!” 7 As he said this, there occurred a dissension between the Pharisees and Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor an angel, nor a spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all. 9 And there occurred a great uproar; and some of the scribes of the Pharisaic party stood up and began to argue heatedly, saying, “We find nothing wrong with this man; suppose a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?”

2. The "I was a Pharisee until I became a Christian then I stood opposed to all Pharisees" so absent from his testimony that even the non-Christian Pharisees publically declare "We find NOTHING wrong with this man".

Bible details make it all very clear - skipping over them adds some degree of confusion.

3. Paul addresses the Jews as "brethren" not as "enemies"

4. The Judaizers were NOT non-Christian Jews - rather they were Christian Jews of Acts 15 who were "making stuff up" that is not in OT or NT as a command from God for gentiles.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus taught the commandments of God- Jesus said it verbatim and quoted directly from the Ten Commandments. God and Jesus are One which means God's laws are Jesus laws.

Jesus warns those who teach against the commandments again quoting directly from the Ten. Matthew 5:19-30 we are responsible for what we teach.
Jesus was preaching to those who were under the ten commandments, Torah. The new covenant with new laws had not yet been ratified by His blood. He taught keeping all of Torah. What happened that you are not following all of His teachings, after all He also taught from the Book of the Law. Matt5:
Divorce
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Oaths
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So, once again you used scripture to accuse us we are teaching the doctrines the commandments of men and that because we do not conform to your belief system we are vainly worshipping God.

• Useful
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
HIM said:
Initially it was because I care about you. Now it is because you are being persistent in spreading this that even your own church would censor. Because we do not keep anything holy to enter into the rest which is of Christ that is called the Gospel in Hebrews 4

I do not know of any SDA church or conference who thinks we are to be disobedient to the Sabbath rest commandment (which we do not keep to be saved), we keep through love and divine worship of our Savior on His blessed and holy day. .

That is true but I think the point that HIM is making - is that for anyone to truly comply with any commandment they must first be born again.

As I am sure you and I both agree -- the lost person is not considered "obedient" in the eyes of God and this is particularly true in the case of keeping the Sabbath holy since one must first be holy to keep something holy... and that can only happen through the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until you read His actual teaching in Matt 19 where He is specifically asked "WHICH ONES" and His answer is from that very unit of ten you are rejecting above.
Either you are not familiar with all of the ten commandments or you don't care what you write as long as it is a rebuttal to those who do not believe as you do. Loving our neighbors comes from the Book of the Law. Jesus was living under the Torah and so was the man who asked Him the question. Notice though Jesus didn't tell him to go keep the commandment with the "halo" around it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is true but I think the point that HIM is making - is that for anyone to truly comply with any commandment they must first be born again.

As I am sure you and I both agree -- the lost person is not considered "obedient" in the eyes of God and this is particularly true in the case of keeping the Sabbath holy since one must first be holy to keep something holy... and that can only happen through the gospel.
Agree, and I don't believe I was saying otherwise. We must follow God's Word and be obedient to God to receive His rest, not to be saved but because we have a changed heart though being born again though faith and love which goes hand in hand with obedience to God. Hebrews 4 is a call to the Sabbath rest Hebrews 4:4, Hebrews 4:9-10 which says those who were disobedient did not enter His rest Hebrews 4:6, I believe this is the breakdown on our conversation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Agree, and I don't believe I was saying otherwise. We must follow God's Word and be obedient to God to receive His rest, not to be saved but because we have a changed heart though being born again. Hebrews 4 is a call to the Sabbath rest Hebrews 4:4, Hebrews 4:9-10 which says those who were disobedient did not enter His rest Hebrews 4:6, I believe this is the breakdown on our conversation.

What I hear you saying is Jesus' statement in John 14:15 "IF you LOVE Me - Keep My Commandments" - the born again in-Christ experience comes first and it creates that perfect Love for Jesus that then leads to acts of obeying His Word.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For those entering into the SDA church, before they can be baptized one must have stopped smoking, drinking strong beverages, stopped eating pig meat, removal of of wedding rings and believe the fundamental beliefs of the SDA church. Being born again is not one of the questions asked unless it just began recently.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is funny that you quote keep my commandments and of course since the subject is ten commandments you use "the commandments of God" as a reference. Jesus, on the other hand tells us He kept His Father's commands, which was Torah and asks us to keep His command to love others as He loves us. He never mentions keeping Torah which contained the ten commandments. .

Either you are not familiar with all of the ten commandments or you don't care what you write

I "pay attention to details". Are you not in favor of that??

as long as it is a rebuttal to those who do not believe as you do. Loving our neighbors comes from the Book of the Law.

And so it does but if one pays attention to the details in my post above - they don't see me saying anything against "the book of the Law".

what I said is that in Matt 19 Jesus is quoting from the TEN -- the very thing you claimed He was not doing.

Notice though Jesus didn't tell him to go keep the commandment with the "halo" around it.

You mean "do not take God's name in vain"?? Ex 20:7 -- true He did not mention that one. Do you suppose He was trying to delete it??

Or do you mean "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart" -- true He did not mention that one. Do you suppose He was trying to delete it and all of the TEN That relate to it?

What exactly is your point??

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0