Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa mosque fire burns at the same time as flames engulf Notre Dame cathedral in Pari

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,765.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Loving Muslims doesn't mean loving everything they value or love as Muslims.
But it does require showing empathy and compassion towards them.

A fire at a mosque would be a terrible tragedy to many Muslims and would bring heartbreak and feelings of sadness to them. Below is your response to the fire at the al Aqsa Mosque:

Utterly indifferent to the burning of this Mosque.
. Why would it surprise you that I don't care that their third holiest site has suffered some damage? Why does indifference bother your virtue signalling?

indifferent: /ɪnˈdɪf(ə)r(ə)nt/ having no particular interest or sympathy; unconcerned. Synonyms: unconcerned about, apathetic about/towards, uncaring about...

What you are basically saying to all Muslims in your post is: "I don't care that there was a fire at one of your mosques."

How is it possible for someone to love their Muslim neighbor if they lack empathy, sympathy, and compassion for them during a time of loss or suffering?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The mosque fire was quickly put out and caused no serious damage to the mosque.

But do I as a Christian really care if a mosque burnt to the ground.
Yes, and no. I would not ever want any person to be harmed. And I would have empathy for the loss of their holy place.

But no... I would not grieve for the structure itself.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Believe it or not but I am indifferent and I chose to express my opinion. That's why these forums exist. I garuntee you most people probably don't care about the Al-Aqsa Mosque burning down because they have no connection to it. We can't all pretend to virtue signal our sympathy towards Muslims and ought be honest with ourselves.

I care because I hate to see beautiful architecture destroyed. I'm not a Catholic but I visited the Vatican when I took a trip to Italy. The buildings were beautiful and I would be sad were they to be destroyed.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By this logic I could say you seem grossly offended at me not caring, which seems more warranted than your accusing me of having some deep seated motive within myself that shows I do care about this Mosque
uhmmm...I believe you are indifferent to the fire, I just think your need to let everyone who sees the thread know how indifferent you feel seems pretty obvious as well. :wave:

I understand the historical significance of this Mosque as the third holiest place of Islam. I have a general distaste for anything Islamic.
ok, you've now signaled to everyone who sees this thread how indifferent you are. For the fifth time as a matter of fact. :sorry:

Why would it surprise you that I don't care that their third holiest site has suffered some damage?
What I'm surprised at is your continued claim to be indifferent, when you're clearly not. Otherwise why post at all? :scratch:

Why does indifference bother your virtue signalling?
Oh sweetie, the only person in this thread who's done everything except waved their arms and jump up and down to signal everyone how they feel about this isn't me. ;)

Also I'm not starting a thread dedicated to your ego.
Okay, that seems fair. ;)
tulc(is just back from driving and is now going in search of more coffee!) :coffee:

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true. The Quran tells Muslims to have a distaste or contempt for Christianity.
Your eighth post about a subject you're "utterly indifferent" to. :D
tulc(thinks that's some seriously loud indifference right there) :wave:

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How is it possible for someone to love their Muslim neighbor if they lack empathy, sympathy, and compassion for them during a time of loss or suffering?

Seems quite easy. If someone close to a friend of yours dies it doesn't mean you have to feel something for the person who died in order to feel sympathy for your friend.

You're confusing indifference towards the object to complete indifference to the people. Different people value things differe0ntly. I just happen to not care about Islam's third holiest site. Much like many Muslims wouldn't care about Notre Dame.

So what's the problem?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,765.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Seems quite easy. If someone close to a friend of yours dies it doesn't mean you have to feel something for the person who died in order to feel sympathy for your friend.

You're confusing indifference towards the object to complete indifference to the people. Different people value things differe0ntly. I just happen to not care about Islam's third holiest site. Much like many Muslims wouldn't care about Notre Dame.

So what's the problem?
Would you tell your friend "I don't care that your loved one died?"

You probably could care less about your friend's house also since you have no interest or investment in it, but if they had a fire, would you tell them "I don't care that your house has suffered some damage?"

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Would you tell your friend "I don't care that your loved one died?"

You probably could care less about your friend's house also since you have no interest or investment in it, but if they had a fire, would you tell them "I don't care that your house has suffered some damage?"
Why would a decent person say that to anyone in public face to face? We're in a public internet forum and we are expressing our thoughts anonymously.

I don't see a problem.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,765.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why would a decent person say that to anyone in public face to face?
They wouldn't.

Why would a decent person say that to anyone in public face to face? We're in a public internet forum and we are expressing our thoughts anonymously.

I don't see a problem.
Shouldn't we be decent 24/7 whether people can tell who we are or not? Does being anonymous on an online forum give us an excuse to not be empathetic towards others? And why would we say something anonymously that we wouldn't say face to face to someone? Shouldn't we always be truthful and honest?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They wouldn't.

Shouldn't we be decent 24/7 whether people can tell who we are or not? Does being anonymous on an online forum give us an excuse to not be empathetic towards others? And why would we say something anonymously that we wouldn't say face to face to someone? Shouldn't we always be truthful and honest?
Given that I'm not allowed to express apathy ,I guess not. Evidently if it hurts someone's feelings online we shouldn't say what we honestly feel.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Given that I'm not allowed to express apathy ,I guess not. Evidently if it hurts someone's feelings online we shouldn't say what we honestly feel.
I find it kind of sad that is how you honestly feel, but that's alright. I prefer honesty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it kind of sad that is how you honestly feel, but that's alright. I prefer honesty.

Yes, I agree. I think it's sad too. I think that a Christian who is indifferent to the suffering and pain of Muslims (or to other people who aren't Christian) isn't an encouraging witness either, IMO.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Utterly indifferent to the burning of this Mosque.

From the link:

No injuries or damage was reported during the short blaze.
Maybe the reason is so little response is because there was no damage nor injuries.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to Christians
i know and agree many professing Christians Havnt even read the New Testament from start to finish let alone notes on it

Maybe this is why Christ said

Not everyone who calls me Lord will enter the Kingdom

There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

Upvote 0