Japanese question.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you believe it's possible to Romanise Japanese.

Well, that's very helpful, because it tells me that the song is the Japanese version of "What A Beautiful Name" by Hillsong.

The English lyrics are "My sin was great, Your love was greater," so the Japanese lyrics must mean something similar. In particular, "ai" must be 愛, love (in fact, the line is 私の罪も全部 包んだ 愛により -- see What A Beautiful Name). It's possible that the verb tsutsunda may refer to Christ's love covering our sins.

You can romanize hebrew, arabic, russian-vietnamese and fillipino are already romanized.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can romanize hebrew, arabic, russian-vietnamese and fillipino are already romanized.

What I meant was that the romanisation loses too much information.

Witness the fact that you had accidentally misidentified the verb tsutsunda, which is actually this (but I only discovered that when I found the kanji): Tanoshii Japanese

Chinese languages are worse: to make a point, someone once wrote a Mandarin poem that consists entirely of the syllable "shi" repeated: Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As with many Eurasian people, she looks more or less Japanese depending on the camera angle.

Horri.jpg
Looks pretty white there.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What I meant was that the romanisation loses too much information.

Witness the fact that you had accidentally misidentified the verb tsutsunda, which is actually this (but I only discovered that when I found the kanji): Tanoshii Japanese

Chinese languages are worse: to make a point, someone once wrote a Mandarin poem that consists entirely of the syllable "shi" repeated: Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den - Wikipedia

she said tsutsunda-shes not even doing the language properly.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
she said tsutsunda-shes not even doing the language properly.

(1) Don't you think it's rather arrogant to tell someone brought up speaking Japanese that you know her language better than she does?

(2) Japanese is an inflected language: 包 is "tsutsu" and んだ is "nda" (the past indicative plain ending).

You need to (1) lose that arrogance and (2) learn some grammar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(1) Don't you think it's rather arrogant to tell someone brought up speaking Japanese that you know her language better than she does?

(2) Japanese is an inflected language: 包 is "tsutsu" and んだ is "nda" (the past indicative plain ending).

The word isn't even tsutsunda from what you said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

(2) Japanese is an inflected language: 包 is "tsutsu" and んだ is "nda" (the past indicative ending).

Im not being a language fraud. I've had people tell me i spoke German (when they just lived on a military base there)

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Kurumu means cover, not tsutsunda. Tanoshii Japanese

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word isn't even tsutsunda from what you said.

No, I said that it was tsutsunda. And it is.

Kurumu means cover, not tsutsunda. Tanoshii Japanese

If I'm understanding things correctly, the kanji 包 can be pronounced either tsutsu or kuru (but of course it's tsutsu in the song). What's more, the choice of pronunciation gives slightly different meanings. However, kuru is generally written as くる. Written in kanji form as 包, tsutsu always seems to be what's intended: 包む - Wiktionary.

If you're serious about Japanese you need to learn at least hiragana. And you need to abandon the idea of any one-to-one correspondence between words in different languages.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If I'm understanding things correctly, the kanji 包 can be pronounced either tsutsu or kuru (but of course it's tsutsu in the song). What's more, the choice of pronunciation gives slightly different meanings. However, kuru is generally written as くる. Written in kanji form as 包, tsutsu always seems to be what's intended: 包む - Wiktionary.

If you're serious about Japanese you need to learn at least hiragana. And you need to abandon the idea of any one-to-one correspondence between words in different languages.

so she didnt say tsutsunda as in one word?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so she didnt say tsutsunda as in one word?

She did. But like I said, that splits into verb root (包 = tsutsu) and verb ending (んだ = nda). Much like the English word "singing" is "sing" + "ing."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

So the same is true with romanizations of other languages?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So the same is true with romanizations of other languages?

Your question doesn't relate to what you quoted. :scratch:

Japanese is in many ways unique, because kanji was imported from Chinese languages, which are totally unrelated.

Many kanji have two utterly different pronunciations, a "Japanese-style" one and a "Chinese-style" one. Sometimes there are two different "Japanese-style" ones (which I think may be the case with 包). Either way, this generally this provides a pair of words with related meanings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0