Japanese question.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's going to be hard to answer, because that's not Japanese. Do you have at least the hiragana for the phrase?

one translation is "love was my undoing" but japanese words have context based meanings and a good guess would be it refers to Jesus's sufferings on the cross. Tanoshii Japanese

1. to become sick; to be struck by a disaster; to hinder; to be hindered; to run into problems; to have an accident

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it is romanized Japanese.

If you believe it's possible to Romanise Japanese.

The line before it was "watashi no tsumi mo zenbu"

Well, that's very helpful, because it tells me that the song is the Japanese version of "What A Beautiful Name" by Hillsong.

The English lyrics are "My sin was great, Your love was greater," so the Japanese lyrics must mean something similar. In particular, "ai" must be 愛, love (in fact, the line is 私の罪も全部 包んだ 愛により -- see What A Beautiful Name). It's possible that the verb tsutsunda may refer to Christ's love covering our sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you believe it's possible to Romanise Japanese.

Well, that's very helpful, because it tells me that the song is the Japanese version of "What A Beautiful Name" by Hillsong.

The English lyrics are "My sin was great, Your love was greater," so the Japanese lyrics must mean something similar. In particular, "ai" must be 愛, love (in fact, the line is 私の罪も全部 包んだ 愛により -- see What A Beautiful Name). It's possible that the verb tsutsunda may refer to Christ's love covering our sins.

Tsutsunda refers to the cross's sufferings?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow that japanese version is just as good. I'm gonna have to find some more christian songs in japanese.

Japanese is called a vague language. I would translate the whole context of certain songs (like a paragraph), and best, consult a person born into both languages.

Please spare me in king of my heart is anata ga moyashite kudasai-and google translates it as you should be shy (anata is you)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tsutsunda refers to the cross's sufferings?

I would guess that it means "cover," actually (as in: Christ's love covers our sins). Typing the verb 包んだ into your website gives "cover," "conceal," "hide," and "be engulfed in" as meanings: Tanoshii Japanese

The original English lyrics have "Your love was greater," and we might be dealing with some kind of Japanese idiom to express that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh is Lauren horii japanese?

Well, she can sing Japanese, and translate songs into Japanese.

My understanding is that her mother was Japanese, and that her parents were missionaries in Japan, so that she grew up bilingual. Also that her husband is Japanese (hence the Japanese surname).

Reactions: Sammy-San
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

My understanding is that her mother was Japanese, and that her parents were missionaries in Japan, so that she grew up bilingual. Also that her husband is Japanese (hence the Japanese surname).

She looks white-ish.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That sounds fluent.

Upvote 0