Japanese Ainu & Global Indigenous Groups: What Aborginal Religions are your favorite?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Shalom :)

I am currently doing work studying differing aboriginal groups for one of my graduate school classes and I thought it would be beneficial for others to perhaps do discussion (if interested as well on the subject) in sharing what their favorite Indigenous groups are and why? Be it in sharing their customs or their cultures and religious practices, I was wanting to know specifically on which ones stood out to you and why you value them in regards to world religions?

I love studying differing religions/cultures - and for myself, coming at things from a Christian (theistic perspective), it is a big blessing for me being able to see the ways God reflects himself in Indigenous cultures. Concerning some of the ones which I enjoy highly, I would like to take some time and share on a group that is not heard of much but that I am fascinated by....and one of them which I came across was known as the Ainu. They are a hunter-gatherer culture in Japan very much hidden from the world when it comes to noting Indigenous religions and Indigenous people groups since Japan is not a place many would expect to find them....

Now Before going further, in light of others who I've often heard claim that Native Americans automatically are not "Native" because of crossing the Bering Straight, it should be noted that having Indigenous groups in Japan does not prove that theory correct, since I know many Native Americans take offense to that ( more in Bering Strait Theory, Pt. 5: The Theory Comes Crashing Down - ICTMN.com - even though I am not 100% against the concept of migration with Native Americans in all cases). With Native Americans and the Japanese connection, what I will say is that I do think there can be a lot said for strong connections when seeing how similar certain tribes have been to other Asian groups in facial features (especially with those further up North and amongst the Eskimo/Inuit groups who others feel came from Asia originally after crossing over the Bering Strait) There's a reason many have noted thatNative Americans came from Siberia true. And Siberians are Asian...and with the Inuit, I will always respect the culture for the many ways it is multifacted in its travels (and for me, migration in differing ways doesn't automatically mean the Americans were somehow "empty" before others may have visited from elsewhere and I agree with others noting "It is certainly possible that a handful of ancient Siberian people over the course of thousands of years may have found their way into the northern parts of North America").

That said, again, I am careful not to extend links of connection with Asians and Native Americans too far...and it should be noted that having hunter-gatherer cultures in Japan doesn't mean Native Americans are Japanese - for there were hunter-gatherer cultures around the world ....more here in Prehistoric Jomon of Japan and Hunter-Gatherer Lifeways and Growth and decline in complex hunter-gatherer societies: a case study from the Jomon period Sannai Maruyama site, Japan ...or here in the following:

ainu.jpg

3.19.JPG

ainu_pair.jpg

As I've said elsewhere, I think it really tends to ignore the reality of Indigenous struggles whenever trying to claim "All Native Americans are just Asians" (as if they didn't have Tribal names or designations) - and it ignores what the Indigenous of Japan have said in solidarity with Native Americans in the Americas when it comes to the exploitation they have experienced (even as it's seen that the indigenous people of northern Japan have spiritual beliefs, hunting culture and struggle for survival bearing a striking resemblance to that of American Indians (including monotheism and more so monolatry) - just as the struggle of Aboriginals in Austraila with kidnapping their children to train them against Aboriginal culture is similar to what Native Americans went through - and yet they are not assumed to both be the same)...but with Many Native Americans noting connections, I cannot ignore that

But as said before, this is one Indigenous people group whose culture/religion I do wish was covered more rather than hidden. And as another noted on the issue:

In Asia, Indigenous religions are especially threatened because of a “blanket of denial by the power structure of the existence of first peoples.” Cultural Survival points out that across Asia Indigenous Peoples are more commonly referred to as “national minorities” (China), “isolated alien peoples” (Indonesia), “hill tribes” (Thailand)or “natives” (Borneo). In the Philippines, until recently the term “Indigenous Peoples” referred specifically to “non-Christian tribes.” These terms ignore the distinct characteristics and historic struggles of Indigenous groups across Asia such as the Ainu of Japan, Orang Asli of Malaysia, the Lembata and Toraja of Indonesia, Kachin and Kayans of Burma, the Mon-Khmer of Southeast Asia, and the Tai of China.

Indigenous religions are inextricably tied to the land, making eviction and loss of territory even more devastating. As the above-mentioned declaration states, “For us, the land and oceans are sacred. Yet, we are being driven out of our lands and oceans in the name of development that does not benefit us, but, rather, causes the destruction of cultures, identities, and life support systems.” As Longchair explains, “According to the Indigenous Peoples’ concept, it is the land that creates time and history… When the land and surrounding environment are destroyed, the people experience a vacuum; the rhythm of life is seriously jeopardized. The whole universe is perceived as a religious universe. Rocks and boulders, trees and rivers are not just empty objects, but religious objects; the voices and songs of animals speak of a religious language; the eclipse of the sun and of the moon are not simply a silent phenomenon of nature, it speaks to the community that observes it.”

If anyone has any thoughts on who they are as a people, I WOULD LOVE to hear. Additionally, if anyone has any other Indigenous groups or Indigenous religions you wish others were made aware of, by all means share in this thread - it is intended to be a collection of Indigenous religions within cultures that are hidden from the dominant groups in their area.

Blessings

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);67442247 said:
But as said before, this is one Indigenous people group whose culture/religion I do wish was covered more rather than hidden. And as another noted on the issue:

In Asia, Indigenous religions are especially threatened because of a “blanket of denial by the power structure of the existence of first peoples.” Cultural Survival points out that across Asia Indigenous Peoples are more commonly referred to as “national minorities” (China), “isolated alien peoples” (Indonesia), “hill tribes” (Thailand)or “natives” (Borneo). In the Philippines, until recently the term “Indigenous Peoples” referred specifically to “non-Christian tribes.” These terms ignore the distinct characteristics and historic struggles of Indigenous groups across Asia such as the Ainu of Japan, Orang Asli of Malaysia, the Lembata and Toraja of Indonesia, Kachin and Kayans of Burma, the Mon-Khmer of Southeast Asia, and the Tai of China.

Indigenous religions are inextricably tied to the land, making eviction and loss of territory even more devastating. As the above-mentioned declaration states, “For us, the land and oceans are sacred. Yet, we are being driven out of our lands and oceans in the name of development that does not benefit us, but, rather, causes the destruction of cultures, identities, and life support systems.” As Longchair explains, “According to the Indigenous Peoples’ concept, it is the land that creates time and history… When the land and surrounding environment are destroyed, the people experience a vacuum; the rhythm of life is seriously jeopardized. The whole universe is perceived as a religious universe. Rocks and boulders, trees and rivers are not just empty objects, but religious objects; the voices and songs of animals speak of a religious language; the eclipse of the sun and of the moon are not simply a silent phenomenon of nature, it speaks to the community that observes it.”

If anyone has any thoughts on who they are as a people, I WOULD LOVE to hear. Additionally, if anyone has any other Indigenous groups or Indigenous religions you wish others were made aware of, by all means share in this thread - it is intended to be a collection of Indigenous religions within cultures that are hidden from the dominant groups in their area.

Blessings

Forgot to mention earlier, in regards to Indigenous religions/groups, that I do think the Asian world often avoids many of the ways it discriminates against people in those camps ( More shared here, here and here) - and I do hope there are others here who also take it seriously:

And on the issue of Indigenous peoples who are not covered often, another group which I have highly enjoyed learning on are known as the Jarawa tribal groups ( Andaman tribes) - off the coast of India. Although it is highly unfortunate to see how "Andaman Islands tribe has been threatened by lure of mass tourism", I am thankful for seeing how they've been able to survive for as long as they have...and although they are on the verge of extinction, I do pray they will be able to stand against the encroachment and stereotypes of them as if they are specimens.

Outside of that, again, they are truly fascinating people...

_47536699_anadaman_isl_226.gif

andnicas.gif

image_large

MAP-HOW2RECH.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I am a great fan of shamanic traditions, since their consciousness-altering techniques seem to be a universal human heritage spanning the globe.

I am also fascinated by African (and Afro-Caribbean) voodoo traditions, in spite of their ridiculous horror-film associations.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am a great fan of shamanic traditions, since their consciousness-altering techniques seem to be a universal human heritage spanning the globe.

I am also fascinated by African (and Afro-Caribbean) voodoo traditions, in spite of their ridiculous horror-film associations.
Concerning shamanic traditions, are there any in specific you had in mind which stood out to you - and any Indigenous groups you had in mind who practiced them?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
was gonna say shamanistic traditions as well. Used to be into trance drumming and otherworld journeying a bit. Found the South American tribes who used to ayahuasca plant as part of their shaman traditions fascinating.
Which South American tribes did you have in mind that fascinated you with that specific plant and why did it intrigue you?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
The Sami had a long-standing shamanic tradition, but it was systematically eradicated by Christian proselytizers from the 1600s onwards, to the point where Swedish law declared that their drums must be destroyed.
Parts of that ancestral culture might have survived, but it's not as intact as it might have been without Christianity and its desire to eliminate all competitors.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Sami had a long-standing shamanic tradition, but it was systematically eradicated by Christian proselytizers from the 1600s onwards, to the point where Swedish law declared that their drums must be destroyed.

Parts of that ancestral culture might have survived, but it's not as intact as it might have been without Christianity and its desire to eliminate all competitors.
There were actually a lot of groups oppressing the Sami beyond those who were Christian Imperialist (different from Christians never seeking enforcement of values through the sword and not acknolweding any aspects of revering nature/seeing laws in place spiritually to address things as valid...no different than Christ spitting in the eye of someone with mud to heal themor seeing the Influence of Shamanism on Korean Churches ) - and the ancestral culture has survived in numerous ways thankfully:

For the Sami, as Sami are northern Scandinavia's indigenous people, the general effects of colonialism have to always be kept in mind...for when Sápmi, or Samiland was colonized many of the old reindeer grazing areas disappeared and with them some of the history forming the Sami cultural inheritance was also lost. The
N
onetheless, the Sami · Global Indigenous Struggles Since 1900 · History Corps - and Even other Christians never competing have noted the ways the Sami are beautiful and other Sami have pointed it out before, as noted elsewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfMkE1s6aw

Sami Drums are still being used thankfully...and there are others noting the ways that their leaning toward the Mother Earth symbolism has been rediscovered again

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm quite fond of the indigenous pagan religion of these here islands. They've given us Stonehenge, a beautiful and thoroughly mysterious structure that I drive past on the way to and from London. Stonehenge is actually quite small, and always shocks me with its size, as I imagine it to be some huge structure.
For those interested in the place, watch this video and see how small it is. Blink, and you'll miss it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DevkU4UNXkQ

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);67442247 said:

ainu.jpg

3.19.JPG

ainu_pair.jpg

As I've said elsewhere, I think it really tends to ignore the reality of Indigenous struggles whenever trying to claim "All Native Americans are just Asians" (as if they didn't have Tribal names or designations) - and it ignores what the Indigenous of Japan have said in solidarity with Native Americans in the Americas when it comes to the exploitation they have experienced (even as it's seen that the indigenous people of northern Japan have spiritual beliefs, hunting culture and struggle for survival bearing a striking resemblance to that of American Indians (including monotheism and more so monolatry) - just as the struggle of Aboriginals in Austraila with kidnapping their children to train them against Aboriginal culture is similar to what Native Americans went through - and yet they are not assumed to both be the same)...but with Many Native Americans noting connections, I cannot ignore that

Concerning the tribe that was noted earlier, I do hope others unaware of who the Ainu are would take time to become more familiar with them as they are truly amazing...

ainu2.jpg

Ainuss.jpg

ainu.jpg

But with that said, one of my dear friends shared with me the following information that she came across after she and I discussed the Ainu - and she gave me permission to re-post her comments here. As she noted:

I was reminded of the Emishi - the people Ashitaka is from in the film Princess Mononoke. It's an animated film by Miyazaki, called Princess Mononoke. The protagonist id from the Emishi peoples of Japan (now gone, iirc)..On Ainu....According to some sources they were related, but according to others, not ... by the 16th or 17th c. (iirc) there were two factions - one fighting against and one with the emperor..at any rate, the impression is they were wiped out (or perhaps subsumed). I bumped into a bit on language structure - the Emishi language is lost afaid, but you might want to look into language types (Japanese vs. Ainu). There are apparently other 'people types' in Japan - these two and the Jomon and another I don't recall.

as for language groups, the Ainu is agglutinating (Myles is really into linguistic groups) - here Polysynthetic language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Agglutinative language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....anyway, when you have some time off, I can highly reccomend Princess Mononoke - not exactly a kid's movie (though these kids like it immensely from a younger age) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OiMOHRDs14...

Also, here - I don't know how reliable the source is, but mentions the variety of the peoples of Japan - Origins of the Jomon

Again, to find out on the cultures of the Emishi and the Jomon cultures was truly fascinating - as I had no idea on those specific cultures before and their religious heritage. I was aware of the ways that other cultures could spread from the Ainu - especially in light of genetic ancestry and the ways that cultures spread out...

1471-2156-5-26-5.jpg

Also, With the Jomon, I had no idea that they have actually been considered to have been actually African Chinese who were later known to us as the Jomon (and as it concerns the African connection, it's already the case where many Africans have Mongoloid features - more shared in Ancient Black China: The Mongols, Zhou, Ainu, Jomon, and Huns )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While I don't believe Shamanism is a religion this is a great read for the truth is Shamanism is being rediscovered as a viable spiritual practice!

Siberia's resurgent shamanism - Al Jazeera English

Interesting....

Reading the article reminded me of the ways that Shamanism can have differing shapes - such as the case is with Inuit Shamanism and Christianity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDVqpxxkUM#t=60

If knowing how to approach Shamanism, I think there are many interesting things that one can come to appreciate on it ....and of course, I may be biased since I have noted before my appreciation for cultures where Shamanism or other things connected to it (such as Aminism) are present...and on the latter issue, I've shared before how there are many religions where there was connection with Christianity -as it concerns the focus on nature being present/having to respect its power. For myself, when seeing the Animistic spirituality aspect, I couldn't help but be reminded on Christianity and the ways others for it have addressed.....for many are not aware of the ways that Christ addresses Folk Religions..There is such a thing as Christian Animism something many have noted over the years more and more.... as seen in Defining an Animistic Worldview : The Missiology Homepage and Animism: The Default Religion of the World - Missions Mandate and Animism: - International Journal of Frontier Missions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm quite fond of the indigenous pagan religion of these here islands. They've given us Stonehenge, a beautiful and thoroughly mysterious structure that I drive past on the way to and from London. Stonehenge is actually quite small, and always shocks me with its size, as I imagine it to be some huge structure.
For those interested in the place, watch this video and see how small it is. Blink, and you'll miss it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DevkU4UNXkQ
Stonehenge and the places where indigenous pagan religions there developed is truly fascinating - I am always in awe wondering how they got those statues, but not many are aware of the Native groups who are present there.

Upvote 0