Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Because he would need to provide evidence Google has actual quotas; and the evidence I've seen indicates there are no actual quotas. If his case succeeds, it will likely be on the basis that Google violated the National Labor Relations Act (the one that allows unions to organize and employees to talk about how much they are paid), not the quota portion of the lawsuit.
LOL, so as long as they're not called quotas?

Kind of a specious argument, don't ya think?
Additionally, the rulings on quotas are that the government, specifically universities, could not set quotas (either in employment or admissions). Additionally, the ban was only for rigid numerical quotas; it still allowed the use of goals, just not rigid numerical quotas. I could be wrong, but I believe it is still legal for private companies, with the most recent Supreme Court ruling United Steelworkers of America v. Weber (1979). Regardless, it appears from what I've read that Google does not have rigid quotas but something more in line with goals for diversity hiring.
... which discriminate against white males.

Regardless of what happens exactly with this lawsuit Damore exposed massive hypocrisy in both Google and with "workplace diversity" as outlined and enforced by the U.S. government. One might suspect that the ultimate outcome here will result in a more merit based approach to hiring. That'll be a good thing. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And it what way was he discriminated based on any of these?

Or is the problem what he said, rather than what he is?

The lawsuit isn't just about him. I suppose the lawsuit appendix excerpts didn't qualify for you?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Got lot's of time on your hands?
Yes.

Found the info on a forum where people were talking about it. Instead of the the actual subject of the thread.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Turns out theres a reason this is in the state courts and not the federal courts.

In addition, California state law also prohibits discrimination based on: Political activities or affiliations

Employment Discrimination in California

Fair enough, I knew California has additional worker protections that the rest of the country does not have. At the same time, I'm not sure that "Conservative" is a political affiliation (I'm guessing that would be Republican, Democrat, Independent, or similar). It will be interesting to see how the case plays out, though I think this one might be harder to prove.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough, I knew California has additional worker protections that the rest of the country does not have. At the same time, I'm not sure that "Conservative" is a political affiliation (I'm guessing that would be Republican, Democrat, Independent, or similar). It will be interesting to see how the case plays out, though I think this one might be harder to prove.
Let's see. He wrote a well written discussion about Google's diversity ... which discussion Google claims to support ... and was almost immediately fired because his values were not aligned with the company ... even though he spoke up in support of people having viewpoints different from his own.

Just not seeing a lot of wiggle room for Google to get out of this ... other than spending lots of money ... or explicitly changing their policies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Damore dropped his personal suit after the Labor Board said it was going to dismiss it.

"Google was careful to note that it was firing Damore for his discriminatory comments, rather than his criticisms of Google’s diversity and inclusion efforts."

The class action suit remains.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Damore dropped his personal suit after the Labor Board said it was going to dismiss it.

"Google was careful to note that it was firing Damore for his discriminatory comments, rather than his criticisms of Google’s diversity and inclusion efforts."

Yet he never said anything discriminatory. Odd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Labor Board disagrees.

A number of labor boards have been punchlines for *decades* now because of how one-sided their decisions have been on key cases.

I think it was about 10 or 15 years ago that Boeing wanted to build a factory in South Carolina. Their main facilities in Washington State couldn't handle anticipated demand, so they had to expand somewhere. Why South Carolina? Not only was it convenient to the East Coast, where a number of key customers were, South Carolina is home to a healthy manufacturing center, including several automotive plants; not only was the infrastructure there to allow for another factory, they could hypothetically poach line workers from the car companies.

Someone, however, told the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) that Boeing was going to move *all* manufacturing to South Carolina, and that this was being done because South Carolina wasn't a union state. Cue the NLRB getting up in Boeing's face and blocking the move without bothering to actually look at the facts of the matter. Jobs were to be created in a non-union state, and the NLRB just couldn't have that.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Of course his lawsuit failed, but now he can run off and claim great injustice to his followers about how he as a white male cannot fight the grave injustice he suffered: the fact that he can't be discriminatory in his workplace. While he busted his job in tech, he certainly has a future in the white grievance industry, he will make millions.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Of course his lawsuit failed, but now he can run off and claim great injustice to his followers about how he as a white male cannot fight the grave injustice he suffered: the fact that he can't be discriminatory in his workplace. While he busted his job in tech, he certainly has a future in the white grievance industry, he will make millions.

He's still suing Google.

I sense a little hostility from there though. Maybe like you don't believe people can discriminate against whites or something.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
He's still suing Google.

I sense a little hostility from there though. Maybe like you don't believe people can discriminate against whites or something.
Your attempt to erect a straw man with a "maybe" argument that was never made. I know we can expect the full deflection to follow with claims that someone believes something and they must now defend against a false accusation lest they reveal themselves (or whatever attempt is made to ignore this meritless case).

Upvote 0