Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
So you can't discriminate based off religion, but you can based off political party?

Protected classes in employment and workplace harassment are race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, genetic information and veteran status. Some states might add one or two extra protected classes.

• Informative
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's amazing that the concept of "two wrongs don't make a right" doesn't resonate with some people.

Oh, what I posted was only a sample. The appendix to the whole thing is where it gets real eye-opening.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Protected classes in employment and workplace harassment are race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, genetic information and veteran status. Some states might add one or two extra protected classes.
Protected classes were not intended to offer an advantage relative to job requirement merits.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Smells like a political stunt. I'm sure it will be wonderfully successful.

What was your first clue? The fact that his lawyer, Harmeet Dhillon, is chairwoman of the Republican Party of San Francisco?

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
goolag5.png
goolag6.png
goolag7.png
goolag8.png

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
  • Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Too many butthurt snowflakes around, these days.

People should not be so fragile and man up.

How... extremely libertarian of you. I never imagined demanding to not be discriminated against based on race, sexuality, or gender for positions and promotions made one a snowflake.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How... extremely libertarian of you. I never imagined demanding to not be discriminated against based on race, sexuality, or gender for positions and promotions made one a snowflake.

Why don't they just let the free market sort it out?

• Haha
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Why don't they just let the free market sort it out?

If you want people to be able to discriminate against white men, you have to let other people discriminate against women, blacks, hispanics, etc. in turn. If that's what you want to advocate for, I'd be interested in hearing you spell it out for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Protected classes were not intended to offer an advantage relative to job requirement merits.

And I wasn't claiming that, I was merely asked about religion being protected but not political beliefs. Regardless, the fact remains that the EEOC requires reporting on the number of protected classes working in various jobs -- and not having "enough" minorities working in any particularly job can lead to being sued. In fact, not having minorities in a job (showing a "pattern") can be enough to win a discrimination lawsuit. This has led most companies to ensure that adequate minorities are hired company wide, across all jobs -- and from the sounds of what I've read, it sounds like Google did not actually have quotas but instead encouraged minorities to be hired to protect them from EEOC claims.

Now, if there were actual discrimination against white males, where not enough were being hired, he could sue on that basis -- and it seems interesting to me that he does not claim that white males are under represented in Google's workforce (at least that I've seen), merely that there are some sort of unspecified quotas that are not necessarily followed.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Regardless, the fact remains that the EEOC requires reporting on the number of protected classes working in various jobs -- and not having "enough" minorities working in any particularly job can lead to being sued.
... and now so can having too many protected class members.

Quotas have been ruled unconstitutional already ... so it's hard to see how he loses this lawsuit.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, what I posted was only a sample. The appendix to the whole thing is where it gets real eye-opening.

Yeah, he's got some pretty sure-fire stuff there. I don't think Google is gonna want this out...they'll be talking settlement soon.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Good job that’s not what was happening, isn’t it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
... and now so can having too many protected class members.

Quotas have been ruled unconstitutional already ... so it's hard to see how he loses this lawsuit.

Because he would need to provide evidence Google has actual quotas; and the evidence I've seen indicates there are no actual quotas. If his case succeeds, it will likely be on the basis that Google violated the National Labor Relations Act (the one that allows unions to organize and employees to talk about how much they are paid), not the quota portion of the lawsuit.

Additionally, the rulings on quotas are that the government, specifically universities, could not set quotas (either in employment or admissions). Additionally, the ban was only for rigid numerical quotas; it still allowed the use of goals, just not rigid numerical quotas. I could be wrong, but I believe it is still legal for private companies, with the most recent Supreme Court ruling United Steelworkers of America v. Weber (1979). Regardless, it appears from what I've read that Google does not have rigid quotas but something more in line with goals for diversity hiring.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics