Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do all sinners get sick? How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick? Is it possible that James 5:16 is actually referring to sin as an illness? Jesus refers to sin as an illness (Matthew 9:12) and Isaiah seems to do the same thing. (Isaiah 58:8)

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
Some sins are sins of ignorance. People do not know any better. If they knew, would there be less sickness? If I want to avoid blocked arteries, I may eat less cholesterol and fatty foods. On the other hand, a diet without meat, dairy, eggs and fish may lack key nutrients. A study of such things should not be shallow. I have a diet with less animal products than the standard American diet.

Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.
Vegetarian Diets

Sometimes it may be good to confess sins, rather than falsely deny ever having sinned.
It is better to be doing good things and not have to tell stories about doing bad things.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was studying suffering in scripture what I came to understand and I would have to look for my notes to quote all the scriptures for you...is that there are several possibilities for suffering in general and sickness specifically. 1. God gives it for a purpose 2. it just happens as part of the fallen world we live in, iow's God set things in motion and so things sometimes just happen. 3. Satan causes it to try to draw us away from God and 4. Sin causes it because of the nature of sin, for example, if I sleep around I might get an std....that type of thing.

As previously stated by me and another poster, the James passage talks about confessing which does not seem to be only for the person needing healing but rather that the whole group might enter into the holy of holies before the Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

Hope that helps some.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Strrawman
I would ask you not to make statements like this. I never, in any way, said that sickness was a punishment from God. All you have done so far is ignore the intent of the OP and erect strawman

No, this is not a strawman, just as my earlier comments regarding everyone being sinners was not trolling as you wrongly claimed. I am addressing statements made in the OP. Apparently you don't agree with my posts, but you really don't need to make claims of trolling or strawman simply because you don't agree with my statements.

In the OP you quoted James 5:16: Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. Again, what sin has a little child committed that warrants childhood cancer? What sins does the child need to confess in order to be healed? Once again the fact is that everyone gets sick.

No you didn't use the word punishment in the OP. I never said you did. But when you begin the OP by asking "Do all sinners get sick?" taht sure sounds like sickness being a punishment to me.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe this will bring some of you all closer together...We live in a fallen world as such everything that happens is in one way or another related to sin. Take for example weeds...they are part of the curse. WE take them for granted and don't accuse someone of sinning if a weed grows up in their garden or beside their house and yet they are the direct result of sin that entered into our world.

Likewise, we all get sick because sin entered our world that does NOT mean that every time we sneeze we committed some sin. What it means is that suffering of all kinds is the result of a fallen world.

That being said, the OP question seems to be speaking on a more narrow approach to the topic than simply is sickness the result of a fallen world. So with a broad stroke we would have to say yes...if Adam and Eve had not sinned we would not get sick....however that kind of misses the point of the question being asked because the OP seems to be asking a much more specific question, narrower brush stroke as it were.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No you didn't use the word punishment in the OP. I never said you did. But when you begin the OP by asking "Do all sinners get sick?" taht sure sounds like sickness being a punishment to me.
Maybe you should go debate someone in your booby thread.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I repented I confessed my sins ( past tense ) vowed to strive to not sin and look to Christ as my goal of how to live.

However, the reality is that, if you are human, you cannot live without sinning. Anyone who says they do is already sinning by lying.
I never once said i was without sin. You misinterpreted mywords.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My apologies for not making myself clear. I wont be asking any more questions, ive been unfairly judged enough already. Just for the record, i am both poor and a sinner. Im not judging anyone. I do however repent of my sins and so i dont make a practice of sinning. If you cannot understand that then thats your problem, not mine.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My question pertains to whether James is talking about physical or spiritual healing and sickness. It has nothing to do with condemning sinners. And i think you know that. I have been patiently enduring remarks l;ike yours but no more. You sir are out of line.

Alright, for a clear answer, yes, James was talking about both spiritual AND physical healing, and in my own life, I have seen both happen.

• Friendly
Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You accused me of judging sinners, and i never did. Look, go find another thread to argue in, im not in the mood for foolishness.

You call me a liar. Yes, I am. I am a liar, and the worst of sinners. But that does not make me wrong. But you
said this:
Do all sinners get sick
Which caused me to ask this question:
And why do you pick on sinners. Have YOU stopped sinning? When? What was your last sin? Remember, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8)

You also said this:
Im actually not picking on sinners.

Why would you even ask that? Nowhere have i picked on sinners.
Forgive me, but that is what the OP sounded like, a non-sinner (I've met my share of them on these fora--of course, they are lying to themselves more than anyone else) asking if sinners can be healed of prayer.

My apologies for not making myself clear. I wont be asking any more questions, ive been unfairly judged enough already. Just for the record, i am both poor and a sinner. Im not judging anyone. I do however repent of my sins and so i dont make a practice of sinning. If you cannot understand that then thats your problem, not mine.

I accept your apologies for the phrasing of of your question. I don't glow in the dark, and I can't be two places at once, or any of the other attributes of what the saints did. If I have caused you ill will, I apologize for my poor understanding. I am just pond scum on the bottom of a worm in the mud.

You can ask questions all you want. Please formulate your question better next time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You call me a liar. Yes, I am. I am a liar, and the worst of sinners. But that does not make me wrong. But you
said this:

Which caused me to ask this question:

You also said this:

Forgive me, but that is what the OP sounded like, a non-sinner (I've met my share of them on these fora--of course, they are lying to themselves more than anyone else) asking if sinners can be healed of prayer.

I accept your apologies for the phrasing of of your question. I don't glow in the dark, and I can't be two places at once, or any of the other attributes of what the saints did. If I have caused you ill will, I apologize for my poor understanding. I am just pond scum on the bottom of a worm in the mud.

You can ask questions all you want. Please formulate your question better next time.
not helping us get back on track...the OP question was a good one and interesting and I for one would like to see it discussed as it was intended.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Again, what sin has a little child committed that warrants childhood cancer? What sins does the child need to confess in order to be healed? Once again the fact is that everyone gets sick.

Disease also happens because we live in a fallen world, one where even the most innocent, the most pious among us fall ill. I can't stop it, and neither can anyone, except God.

But if a little child pours cornstarch on the floor after his mother has said not to, and he remembers it, he has sinned, and should confess that sin. And I did!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Disease also happens because we live in a fallen world, one where even the most innocent, the most pious among us fall ill. I can't stop it, and neither can anyone, except God.

But if a little child pours cornstarch on the floor after his mother has said not to, and he remembers it, he has sinned, and should confess that sin. And I did!

Agreed. But that is different than saying that a young child with cancer needs to confess his or her sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it seems seems so. Perhaps you and Arch can go debate boobies. Im done debating.
A well phrased OP would have led to a much different thread. Perhaps instead of insulting posters you should simply rephrase the OP.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Do all sinners get sick? How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick? Is it possible that James 5:16 is actually referring to sin as an illness? Jesus refers to sin as an illness (Matthew 9:12) and Isaiah seems to do the same thing. (Isaiah 58:8)

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
I suspect everyone has gotten sick, and I know everyone has sinned. I believe sin can lead to illness. I don't think sin itself is illness, using the usual definition of "illness."

Upvote 0