Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do all sinners get sick? How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick? Is it possible that James 5:16 is actually referring to sin as an illness? Jesus refers to sin as an illness (Matthew 9:12) and Isaiah seems to do the same thing. (Isaiah 58:8)

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick?
1 Kings chapter 8 verse 46
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to their enemies, who take them captive to their own lands, far away or near;
2 Chronicles chapter 6 verse 36
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to the enemy, who takes them captive to a land far away or near;
Ecclesiastes chapter 7 verse 20
Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.
1 John chapter 1 verse 8
If anyone claims to be without sin they deceive themselves and the truth is not in them.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do all sinners get sick? How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick? Is it possible that James 5:16 is actually referring to sin as an illness? Jesus refers to sin as an illness (Matthew 9:12) and Isaiah seems to do the same thing. (Isaiah 58:8)

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

But we are all sinners, and only Jesus has ever lived a life without sin.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

• Winner
Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Kings chapter 8 verse 46
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to their enemies, who take them captive to their own lands, far away or near;
2 Chronicles chapter 6 verse 36
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to the enemy, who takes them captive to a land far away or near;
Ecclesiastes chapter 7 verse 20
Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.
1 John chapter 1 verse 8
If anyone claims to be without sin they deceive themselves and the truth is not in them.
We walk by faith not sight.

2 Corinthians 5:16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But we are all sinners, and only Jesus has ever lived a life without sin.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
When i mentioned folks who dont sin, i was referring to believers who dont make a practice of sinning. Such people do exist.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We walk by faith not sight.

2 Corinthians 5:16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
You still have to love.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers a great many sins.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How does that pertain to this discussion?
How about those who dont sin, do they ever get sick?
I showed you everyone sins.
When i mentioned folks who dont sin, i was referring to believers who dont make a practice of sinning. Such people do exist.
1 Corinthians chapter 15 verse 56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

That means if you try to obey the law you sin more.

Galatians chapter 5 verse 4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

That means if you try to obey the law Christ didn't die for you.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

1 Corinthians chapter 15 verse 56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

That means if you try to obey the law you sin more.

Galatians chapter 5 verse 4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

That means if you try to obey the law Christ didn't die for you.
Get real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Whether they make a habit of it or not, they still sin. We all do. Sometimes we sin by what we do, sometimes by what we think, sometimes by what we fail to do.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whether they make a habit of it or not, they still sin. We all do. Sometimes we sin by what we do, sometimes by what we think, sometimes by what we fail to do.
Lets please get back on topic. Clearly all sinners do not get sick. So what is james saying?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lets please get back on topic. Clearly all sinners do not get sick. So what is james saying?
Sorry but it was your comment in the OP that I was responding to, so since it was in the OP it would seem to be on topic.

But to move on, "all sinners do not get sick?" I would disagree with that. Not every sinner gets cancer or MS or has a heart attack, but I don't know a single person who has never been sick. That seems to be pretty universal--everyone will develop a sinus infection or catch the flu or have a common cold during their lifetime.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
James is not saying all sin is sickness.
He's say just what he's saying, confess your sins to one another, most people try to hide them, like they want people to think their sinless, and nobody is.
But he's say if you confess all your sins to each other you will be healed.
I would say more but you don't seem to want to hear it.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, we are all sinners, now please answer the rest of the OP or stop trolling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James is not saying all sin is sickness.
He's say just what he's saying, confess your sins to one another, most people try to hide them, like they want people to think their sinless, and nobody is.
But he's say if you confess all your sins to each other you will be healed.
I would say more but you don't seem to want to hear it.
No please, go on. Answer my question. If all sinners dont get sick then he might be referring to spiritual illness, and we are all spiritually sick, before the Lord heals us.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No please, go on. Answer my question. If all sinners dont get sick then he might be referring to spiritual illness, and we are all spiritually sick, before the Lord heals us.
He's referring to physical sickness, but who do you know that confesses their sin to each other, I don't but I'm not ashamed of it, it's a part of life.

That's why I quoted all the verses I did.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He's referring to physical sickness, but who do you know that confesses their sin to each other, I don't but I'm not ashamed of it, it's a part of life.

That's why I quoted all the verses I did.
I see your point. Thank you.

Its this verse that im referring to

16 Confess your trespassesto one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

W2L, I think James was talking more about spiritual sickness, than he was physical sickness. Spiritual Sickness is caused by a life of sin. But everyone has a cold every now and then, sinners or people who live righteous.

Ever since I repented and truly accepted Christ, I haven't been seriously sick, but I'm still having to not go to the gym because I have a cold and I don't want to spread it.

I seriously believe that James was talking about Spiritual Sickness, which if not healed, could in some cases maybe be worse than a sickness like the flu.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
W2L, I think James was talking more about spiritual sickness, than he was physical sickness. Spiritual Sickness is caused by a life of sin. But everyone has a cold every now and then, sinners or people who live righteous.

Ever since I repented and truly accepted Christ, I haven't been seriously sick, but I'm still having to not go to the gym because I have a cold and I don't want to spread it.

I seriously believe that James was talking about Spiritual Sickness, which if not healed, could in some cases maybe be worse than a sickness like the flu.
Thank you.

Upvote 0