Jail staff mocked a sick man as he begged for help, video shows. Days later, he was dead.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Jail staff mocked a sick man as he begged for help, video shows. Days later, he was dead.
From an isolation cell in the Ottawa County Jail, Terral Ellis begged for someone to help him.

He could not feel his legs and he could not breathe, the 26-year-old told jail staff and the on-site nurse at the Miami, Okla., facility. It felt, he said, like his back was broken and he was bleeding internally.

“I think I’m dying,” he said just after 10 a.m. on Oct. 22, 2015.

Staff mocked him, laughed at a joke about the “boy who cried wolf,” and ignored him as he moaned. When nurse Theresa Horn arrived later that morning, she did not help either — instead threatening to chain Ellis to the ground if he continued to complain.

When you treat people like animals simply because they are in jail, this is an unsurprising outcome. One must think of all the people that have been jailed or imprisoned and ask if they are all horrible people worthy of being ignored when they are sick or in pain.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One must think of all the people that have been jailed or imprisoned and ask if they are all horrible people worthy of being ignored when they are sick or in pain.
NO ONE is "worthy" of being neglected like that. This demonstrates who the horrible people really are in this scenario.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You guys have been saying that for a couple of centuries now. Talking about "crying wolf".

I interpret your posts here on this thread as a cry for help.

There is help in Yahshua ha Mashiach Who conquered hell and death, I ask Abba Yah to Breathe into your life and Speak love, joy, and peace therein. Amen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
His cell mate treated him with more humanity than the jailors.
.....and then they placed him in isolation - with NO ONE to advocate for him or even get him a drink of water. That is so cruel.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
.....and then they placed him in isolation - with NO ONE to advocate for him or even get him a drink of water. That is so cruel.

It is. We need a serious overhaul of our penal system. I don't know if this was a private institution, but that's the first thing that needs to change. I wish I had more answers, but treating people like animals (less than animals?) is not it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like he was taken away and beaten for arguing with the staff, resulting in untreated serious injuries that eventually led to his death. If true, he was murdered by his jailors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It is. We need a serious overhaul of our penal system. I don't know if this was a private institution, but that's the first thing that needs to change. I wish I had more answers, but treating people like animals (less than animals?) is not it.
The answers are already being implemented in many countries. They're not very usefull for continuing the american tradition of slave labour though.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like he was taken away and beaten for arguing with the staff, resulting in untreated serious injuries that eventually led to his death. If true, he was murdered by his jailors.
He died from sepsis and pneumonia according to the Medical Examiner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a local news site. This isn't the first case in the Tulsa area where this has happened. The family of that case, the death in 2011, won 10.5 million.
Dying Ottawa County Jail inmate told to 'quit faking,' lawsuit claims

Thanks. I did find it on youtube, and that was a hefty pay out, FWIW.

All I can figure is these prison guards are either not to bright, or they figure the training or implementing better paid, thus better guards is cheaper than paying the lawsuits, which is terrible. People just want their people back alive. If that were the case, the judges need to start doubling to payouts if possible, and make it too expensive to go that route.

Wondering what role the first EMS will play in this...what was their finding?

Hope Nurse horn loses her job there as well as her nurses license...forever.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I did find it on youtube, and that was a hefty pay out, FWIW.

All I can figure is these prison guards are either not to bright, or they figure the training or implementing better paid, thus better guards is cheaper than paying the lawsuits, which is terrible. People just want their people back alive. If that were the case, the judges need to start doubling to payouts if possible, and make it too expensive to go that route.

Wondering what role the first EMS will play in this...what was their finding?

Hope Nurse horn loses her job there as well as her nurses license...forever.

From the Tulsa World article, it sounds as if the first EMS, though called, never actually was taken to the prisoner -- they were just told he was faking and were told to leave. I agree with the Nurse, she should lose her job and at least a suspension of her nurse's license.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From the Tulsa World article, it sounds as if the first EMS, though called, never actually was taken to the prisoner -- they were just told he was faking and were told to leave. I agree with the Nurse, she should lose her job and at least a suspension of her nurse's license.

That would be bad, real bad.

I did have a bit of trouble keeping up with the video due to funky settings caused by my high contrast theme, but it seems there was something about them taking him to general population/some big empty room to do their thing, but no mention of the out come. And again, that is if I got it right.

Yep, that nurse, bet she wasn't feeling real good about here future at the moment. We play with fire long enough (treat people that way) and we get burned.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

256064_6429f71273587ebdde5b1038d8c1ccf4.jpg

This thread had a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:
Disruptive Behavior, Campaigning, Staff Disciplinary Action
To maintain the peace and harmony on CF you must refrain from doing the following on the public forums:

• Making posts that speak of any Staff action either with you or another member (including any bans, warnings, or editing or removal of posts)
  • Complaining about another members posts/threads, Christian Forums or it's Staff
  • Spite reports - e.g. reporting in retaliation, multiple reports on a member using opposing arguments but are not violations, or repeatedly reporting a member in harassment.
  • Attempting to undermine these rules or policies via campaigns, petitions, or protests is not allowed
If you feel the need to discuss another members behavior, or have a issue about CF, it's staff or policies, please make a Ticket in Support and discuss it in private with our Admins and Advisors

Public threads are NOT the place to complain who is on the site. IF you have a complaint, post in Contact Us (Support).

As a reminder, this IS a Christian site and it is not appropriate to laugh at the death of a human being.

Also, the site rules include:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Stay on topic.

Upvote 0