Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus did not tell us to give people "good loving felling", or even "good FEELINGS".

He told us to make disciples.

You know nothing about me. Consequently you are in no position to spiritually evaluate me.

Jesus told us to love one another, that is one of his greatest commandments, all the other commandments follow them.

So, by this, that is a felling of love, so there you go, one of the greatest commandments is based on a felling of love.

Have a good day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wow what a rude person you

How is my response rude, exactly? Did I attack you personally as you did here to me? No. I asked for clarification. Did you give it? No. You derided me. It's hard to see how I'm the rude one here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Godly sorrow" out the window next then it would seem.

But the inevitable problem in this thread it's that the sides are using words differently.

Person C says "feeling" and actually is thinking of something hugely different than what person D means by "feeling".
Perhaps

Upvote 0

Unnamed Guy

Nov 27, 2018
Los Algodones, CA
✟20,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The Word does say that but is that all the Word has to say about being saved?

Romans 10:9-10 King James Version (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Faith and confession are here mentioned as salvation's two requisites.

So near's Jesus' redemption to everyone in the world that it's necessary only to believe with the heart and to confess with the mouth in order to become a partake of its blessings.

If anyone believes in their heart and confesses with their mouth that Christ's God and that God has raised him from the dead, then they've the faith which will save them.

☆ Paul here represents Christ as faith. The thought's so key for all that Paul repeats it, placing a heart believing and a mouth confessing side by side. The heart's faith's sufficient for righteousness' attainment, and the mouth's confession is sufficient for salvation's attainment. The heart's faith, as expressed in the mouth's confession, brings salvation to the believer, and no work will have this result. Faith and confession can't be separated. Faith must find its expression in the mouth's confession. The heart's faith, followed by the mouth's confession, results in salvation. ☆

In Christ, God has brought salvation to all, and God recognizes only that confidence which appropriates the redemption and makes a confession.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not just guessing about that, but it's based on studying temperaments and how different temperaments actually have very different senses of 'feeling', so that when they talk of 'feeling' it can be very different things they are talking about, surprisingly enough. And that's even before we add the inevitable additional confusion caused by simply referring to entirely different kinds of things also, where one person may mean unique feelings they only get solely when moved by God's word, for instance, and another person talking of a radically different thing altogether not even slightly connected such as the 'feelings' a person may have from merely things like going to a rock concert and seeing some attractive person of the opposite sex. (perhaps this is too much contrast, but often 2 people don't realize they are not even discussing the same kind of thing often also when such an imprecise word as 'feeling' is used. So, I'd expect at times here in this thread more than only 1 kind of miscommunication/misunderstanding).

Put another way: don't underestimate the Tower of Babel :)
It strikes a lot more than people expect or realize is what I've noticed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not just guessing about that, but it's based on studying temperaments and how different temperaments actually have very different senses of 'feeling', so that when they talk of 'feeling' it can be very different things they are talking about, surprisingly enough. And that's even before we add the inevitable additional confusion caused by simply referring to entirely different kinds of things also, where one person may mean unique feelings they only get solely when moved by God's word, for instance, and another person talking of a radically different thing altogether not even slightly connected such as the 'feelings' a person may have from merely things like going to a rock concert and seeing some attractive person of the opposite sex. (perhaps this is too much contrast, but often 2 people don't realize they are not even discussing the same kind of thing often also when such an imprecise word as 'feeling' is used. So, I'd expect at times here in this thread more than only 1 kind of miscommunication/misunderstanding).

Put another way: don't underestimate the Tower of Babel :)
It strikes a lot more than people expect or realize is what I've noticed.
I think also that some people are afraid of emotions because they see people acting strange and fear they may be following some kind of cult sensationalism.

• Winner
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think also that some people are afraid of emotions because they see people acting strange and fear they may be following some kind of cult sensationalism.

That's so true -- it's very easy to imagine the unknown person writing brief internet posts in unclear language is somehow just like another person in a different time and place that was making a mistake.

Too often people will then respond in a manner sorta like Don Quixote, seeing an enemy knight were there isn't one, and then tilting their lance and charging.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes. That simply is not all God's word has to say about it. I'll be glad to provide chapter and verse to anyone who's genuinely interested.

In Him

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus told us to love one another, that is one of his greatest commandments, all the other commandments follow them.

So, by this, that is a felling of love, so there you go, one of the greatest commandments is based on a felling of love.

Have a good day.
Love is not a felling.

It's not even a feeling.

Love is a choice to do what is best for the other person.

Please learn to spell, OK?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most cunning and deadly craft of Satan is the half truth. It is a proven fact, we humans are far more likely to believe a lie we've heard multiple times than the truth which we've only heard one time!! It is far easier to to deceive someone with a lie that has a little truth mingled therein than it is with a bold faced lie. We must follow God and His instruction for salvation; it is not within us, without God's guidance, to even know right from wrong. Much less to do right.
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Proverbs 14:12
It is ONLY through the council of the Almighty that we can even know how to please Him. Eve, through the deceit of Satan, thought it was okay to do something God said not to. Cain thought he knew what would be pleasing to God. There are countless other examples throughout the entire word of God that warn us of this mistake. Jesus told Satan, during His temptation, that we are to live by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Matthew 4:4
We may think we know what's best but the prudent man will always seek God's council pertaining to all things. The most weighty subject is our own salvation. He should know how we are to be saved. IT IS HIS PLAN, not ours.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16
No human that has ever lived has the mind of God, much less the authority to render even one syllable null and void which He has spoken.
If someone wishes to wager the eternal destiny of their soul on a half truth, that's their business; God gave us free will. Believing anything short of the full council of God concerning salvation is just that, a half truth.
In Him

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a feeling associated with having the Holy Spirit inside of you? I mean a literally feeling in your body, like one you would get after drinking alcohol.

For me, it's like a waterfall pouring down out of the sky, into your belly, and out of your mouth. Also like a mighty rushing wind coming from your belly. It washes away fear and makes you bold as a lion. It surpasses the knowledge of your brain. It's the peace of God Himself. It doesn't really make you feel anything, but you can feel EVERYTHING, if that makes sense. It's like everything around you has turned into Heaven. It's like a giant ROCK that replaces all your emotions. Sometimes it makes me stand firm (in dangerous situations), but other times it makes my whole body tremble in the weakness of my flesh. It's not painful. I'd say it REMOVES all pain. Or at least it's pain overwhelmed by the surpassing greatness of the Joy of the Lord. The cold doesn't go to your bones and the heat does not make you uncomfortable. It's like you're seperated from the elements and just get to enjoy their feeling on the outside of your skin, but you're perfectly comfortable IN your skin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The human body is a complex piece of machinery. One thing our bodies do pretty well is give us natural highs through the release of endorphins and other brain chemicals, it's part of the reward center of our brain. During intense emotional states or positive emotional experiences can trigger an endorphin rush or other body high.

When I was younger I often associated these natural highs with the Holy Spirit, confusing certain feelings with God's presence. This often led me toward seeking these experiences out and often judging my status before God on whether or not I could feel that high or not. Sometimes working myself up into a highly volatile emotional state intentionally in order to "feel God".

As I got older, as my understanding grew and matured, and as my theology changed I began to understand that my experiences were not the Holy Spirit, they were biochemical responses in my brain. God cannot be reduced to a feeling or an experience. God's presence in our lives is about His word and promise, not what we feel or experience personally. We can know the Lord is present with us because He says so, not because we have worked ourselves into a state of emotional ecstasy.

There's nothing wrong with being moved, emotionally, by things. By music, by Scripture, by many different things; whenever I receive the Eucharist I am still moved, sometimes almost to tears. But God's presence is not my emotional response(s), God's presence is the objective truth and reality of His word and promise; the encounter with God we have (for example) in the Lord's Supper is not an encounter inside myself, but an encounter outside myself, because God is here present in this meager bread and wine which is, by way unknowable to reason, the actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ our Lord.

I can trust that the Spirit is in me, because that is God's promise.

My feelings are mutable, fallible, weak, and say nothing one way or the other about who or what I am with and in Christ; who and what I am in Christ is defined not by me and how I feel or by my experiences, but by what God has done already, and has said and promised. And so I find that my hope and salvation lay totally outside of myself, in the Living and Incarnate Jesus Christ who was born, lived, suffered, died, and rose again--and Him and what He has done alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The human body is a complex piece of machinery. One thing our bodies do pretty well is give us natural highs through the release of endorphins and other brain chemicals, it's part of the reward center of our brain. During intense emotional states or positive emotional experiences can trigger an endorphin rush or other body high.

When I was younger I often associated these natural highs with the Holy Spirit, confusing certain feelings with God's presence. This often led me toward seeking these experiences out and often judging my status before God on whether or not I could feel that high or not. Sometimes working myself up into a highly volatile emotional state intentionally in order to "feel God".

As I got older, as my understanding grew and matured, and as my theology changed I began to understand that my experiences were not the Holy Spirit, they were biochemical responses in my brain. God cannot be reduced to a feeling or an experience. God's presence in our lives is about His word and promise, not what we feel or experience personally. We can know the Lord is present with us because He says so, not because we have worked ourselves into a state of emotional ecstasy.

There's nothing wrong with being moved, emotionally, by things. By music, by Scripture, by many different things; whenever I receive the Eucharist I am still moved, sometimes almost to tears. But God's presence is not my emotional response(s), God's presence is the objective truth and reality of His word and promise; the encounter with God we have (for example) in the Lord's Supper is not an encounter inside myself, but an encounter outside myself, because God is here present in this meager bread and wine which is, by way unknowable to reason, the actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ our Lord.

I can trust that the Spirit is in me, because that is God's promise.

My feelings are mutable, fallible, weak, and say nothing one way or the other about who or what I am with and in Christ; who and what I am in Christ is defined not by me and how I feel or by my experiences, but by what God has done already, and has said and promised. And so I find that my hope and salvation lay totally outside of myself, in the Living and Incarnate Jesus Christ who was born, lived, suffered, died, and rose again--and Him and what He has done alone.

-CryptoLutheran

I don't know, the presence of God is not a feeling of ours, yes it feels, but it happens when God is close to us, when you feel it, you can't say is from your chemicals or something, its something very distinctive and very real.

• Winner
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We can know the Lord is present with us because He says so, not because we have worked ourselves into a state of emotional ecstasy.
But is feeling joy or love working ourselves into a state of emotional ecstasy? Whats it mean to have Gods love shed in our hearts? (Romans 5:5)

Upvote 0