Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s all well and good, but I don’t see how that relates to the OP.
Mercy and righteousness are not the same thing. If you understand that those 5 sinners who had been saved by grace not being treated mercifully means they lose their salvation then that is a major error in the OP. Our salvation does not depend on God's mercy but on His righteousness.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From a theological point of view the argument would be that God is absolutely sovereign and therefore everything God does is just. However from a human POV this justice "would" seem to be applied unequally and therefore unfair. The question of repentance was not mentioned in the OP and therefore does not enter in this discussion. Speaking personally, I find much of theology to be highly speculative and therefore I lean towards the human understanding ---- justice must be seen to be done.
God has presented the definition of just and unjust in scripture and through the example of Christ, so can He be inconsistent with the description of just he has presented?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Mercy and righteousness are not the same thing. If you understand that those 5 sinners who had been saved by grace not being treated mercifully means they lose their salvation then that is a major error in the OP. Our salvation does not depend on God's mercy but on His righteousness.
God is righteous. That doesn’t save anyone by itself. There must also be mercy and grace. But they are also inseparable as far as salvation is concerned.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m going by what you said. Remember this?

“To add to my last post, I've seen this happen several times here on any given subject. A poster will understand something in their mind to mean something, and they assume others follow their thought process, when they do not.

Point being what you think may need a lot more explaining to even get others to understand it.”

All my posts assume those who have read the bible know what God expects of us.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, thank you very much, that helps tremendously.

And for the reason I'm not Calvinist, there is just too much to disagree with there, something that has been hashed out time and time again here, so I know doing it again will change nothing.

So I may stick with the argument I'm on presently...much easier. :)

If that is the idea the OP is a major blunder, we are not saved based on God's mercy but based on God's righteousness. These are two very different and distinct things.

According to Romans 10 if I call on the Lord and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead I shall be saved.

If God decides He doesn't want to save me then He is unrighteous and since His kingdom is established on righteousness this will be the undoing of God's kingdom.

At least this was my understanding of the OP.

Neither do I believe in the Calvinistic understanding, yet I believe some parts of the picture is right.

• Friendly
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Justice comes by punishing them all. If there is an injustice, then it is not because the five were punished, but because the other five were forgiven. Yet, forgiveness is easily forgiven. Where there is forgiveness, there is no injustice. Therefore, the short answer is that it is not an injustice.
Explain to me Matt, 18:21-35

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But it was a judgement. God was preparing Israel, while in Egypt, to bring judgement upon the inhabitants of Canaan.
Genesis 15:16
"Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete."
When God chose to have mercy on Israel, He overlooked the rest of civilization by default.
God showed mercy on the Canaanites by giving them 400 years to repent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is righteous. That doesn’t save anyone by itself. There must also be mercy and grace. But they are also inseparable as far as salvation is concerned.
We are saved by grace, it is the free gift of God, it is not based on anything that you have done. You receive this gift by faith and God is righteous and just to save you.

Again, none of this has anything to do with the OP, if this is what the OP intended they should have been clear the the judgement of the sinners was determining eternal salvation.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States