Is there a place at the table for white men?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You do not set a standard for others to emulate, and neither do you set the methodology by which others must demonstrate success, however they choose to define it for themselves. This not a privilege that you have, and I refuse to recognize it.

And yet there is a fairly common measure for success that is basically held worldwide. How different can your measure be from the time-honored standard?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And yet there is a fairly common measure for success that is basically held worldwide. How different can your measure be from the time-honored standard?

Here is a quick and incomplete list. I haven't thought it completely through, but it's a start.

Family success means raising children who have a relatively safe home, good food to eat; a proper education, all overseen by both a mother and a father.

Economic success means having the ability to earn enough money to be self-sufficient, at the very least, and then begin to acquire assets to ensure family finical success in years to come.

Cultural and societal success means rather than take from other, you being to give. You give of money and time to make the community and surrounding area better for all.

Political success means running for office and winning seats, then using your influence to not only better your own, but society in general.

Career success means finding work that is both fulfilling to self and which serves mankind as well. All work should help to make society thrive. That includes even menial jobs. But those menial jobs should be worked in such a way as to become more an more valuable to a company until you are in management. Not everyone is capable of this, but many are, and they should strive for it.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've always rather fancied Bhutan's measure of "gross national happiness," myself.

I think by and large Americans are happy. There will always be malcontents however.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I think by and large Americans are happy. There will always be malcontents however.

In what universe are Americans by and large happy?? Certainly not this one. We are either on the path to becoming a nuclear version of Nazi Germany or an implosion of racial conflict which will make America a cultural black hole.

How can one see either of these futures and declare that Americans are happy.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The political table that is. If privileged middle class white men are responsible for the problems of minorities and the poor is there room for well-meaning white men at the table of political discussion. Or are we not welcome there? Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and other activists want a place for minorities at the economic table along with white folks, but do the white folks have to empty their pockets onto the table, and then shut their mouths as well?

I'm a white man, and haven't had any problems finding a place "at the table".

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Is your advice concerning racism being heard? Mine isn't.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In what universe are Americans by and large happy?? Certainly not this one. We are either on the path to becoming a nuclear version of Nazi Germany or an implosion of racial conflict which will make America a cultural black hole.

How can one see either of these futures and declare that Americans are happy.

Americans have a happy nature generally. That isn't to say that we are content with everything in our lives. That's why we work to achieve more contentment (stuff, power, status).

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You're a Republican, so you're not a liberal. So, I wonder why you're not experiencing the same exclusion as the OP apparently is. My husband is a white man and conservative too, but he doesn't have a problem finding a place at the table of political discussion either. He's definitely not a liberal.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're a Republican, so you're not a liberal. So, I wonder why you're not experiencing the same exclusion as the OP apparently is. My husband is a white man and conservative too, but he doesn't have a problem finding a place at the table of political discussion either. He's definitely not a liberal.

But is anyone listening to him? Being afforded the courtesy of sitting at the discussion table doesn't mean anything if your input is ignored (conservative input is generally better than liberal input, however it is seldom politically correct).

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Is your advice concerning racism being heard? Mine isn't.

I don't tend to give advice to grown folks, regardless of their race, unless it's been solicited. So your problem isn't mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well the OP calls himself the Old Wise Guy, and I read his story behind why he picked his avatar & the whole "grimly waiting for my cornflakes" line. I don't have his problems because I don't have his attitude.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But is anyone listening to him? Being afforded the courtesy of sitting at the discussion table doesn't mean anything if your input is ignored (conservative input is generally better than liberal input, however it is seldom politically correct).

Seems like a lot of opinion you are spouting and you are taken aback, because some disagree with your opinion.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure if you're referring to Go Braves or to my husband whom I mentioned. Concerning my husband, the answer is yes, people listen to him because he's respectful. And like Go Braves, he doesn't offer advice to other adults unless asked and he doesn't impose his opinions on others.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0