Is there a Difference between Soul and Spirit?

Is there a difference between Soul and Spirit?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To get to know where some of you are in your theology I need to ask this question. Is there a difference between Soul and Spirit? The poll is for your yes or no answer but I would appreciate a bit of reasoning behind your belief on this and the use of scripture of course is always welcome.

If you do believe that there is a difference, what is it? If you don't believe there is a difference, why not?

This is a public poll.

Last edited:

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is this...

The word spirit refers only to the immaterial facet of man. Mankind has a spirit, but we are not a spirit. However, in Scripture only believers, those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, are said to be "spiritually alive" (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26). Unbelievers are "spiritually dead" (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul's writing the "spirit" was pivotal to the spiritual life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; 15:45; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in man which gives him the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of man including his soul.

The word soul refers not only to the immaterial part of man but also the material part. Unlike man having a "spirit," man is a soul. In its most basic sense, the word soul means "life." However, the Bible moves beyond "life" and into many areas. One of those areas is to man's eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Man is naturally evil, and his soul is tainted as a result. The life principle is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The "soul," as with the "spirit," is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word soul is used, it can refer to the whole person, alive or after death.

The "soul" and the "spirit" are similar in the manner in which they are used in the spiritual life of the believer. They are different in their reference. The "soul" is man's horizontal view with the world. The "spirit" is man's vertical view with God. It is important to understand that both refer to the immaterial part of man, but only the "spirit" refers to man's walk with God. The "soul" refers to man's walk in the world, both material and immaterial.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And this...

Genesis 1:26-27 declares, “And God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.' So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.”

These verses indicate that there is something distinct about humanity from all the other creations. Human beings were intended to have a relationship with God, and as such, God created us with both material and immaterial aspects. The material aspects are obviously those that are tangible: the physical body, organs, etc., and are considered to only exist as long as the person is alive. The immaterial aspects are those which are intangible: soul, spirit, intellect, will, conscience, etc. These characteristics are considered to exist beyond the physical lifespan of the individual.

All human beings possess both material and immaterial characteristics in their existence. It is clear that all mankind has a body, containing flesh, blood, bones, organs and cells. However, it is the intangible qualities of mankind that are often debated. What does Scripture say about these?
Genesis 2:7 states that Man was created as a living soul. Numbers 16:22 - "And they fell upon their faces, and said, 'O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?'" This verse names God as the God of the spirits that are possessed by all Mankind. Proverbs 4:23 - "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." This verse indicates that the heart is central to Mankind’s will and emotions. Acts 23:1 - "And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, 'Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.'" Romans 12:1 - "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." It can be seen that there are various aspects of the immaterial part of humanity, and that all human beings share both material and immaterial qualities. This list of references just scratches the surface.

So, while much of the discussion of the immaterial aspect of humanity focuses on the soul and spirit, Scripture outlines far more than those two. Somehow, the aspects mentioned above (soul, spirit, heart, conscience, and mind) are connected and interrelated. The soul and spirit, though, definitely are the primary immaterial aspects of humanity. They are likely composed of the other aspects. With this is mind, is humanity dichotomous (cut in two, body / soul-spirit) or trichotomous (cut in three, body / soul / spirit)? It is impossible to be dogmatic. There are good arguments for both views. A key verse is
Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” This Scripture tells us at least two thing about this debate. (1) The soul and spirit can be divided. (2) The division of soul and spirit is something that only the Word of God can discern. We can be sure that as human beings, we possess a body, a soul, a spirit, and much more! However, rather than focusing on these aspects, it is better to focus on the Creator, because of Whom we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14).

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is this...

The word spirit refers only to the immaterial facet of man. Mankind has a spirit, but we are not a spirit. However, in Scripture only believers, those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, are said to be "spiritually alive" (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26). Unbelievers are "spiritually dead" (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul's writing the "spirit" was pivotal to the spiritual life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; 15:45; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in man which gives him the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of man including his soul.

The word soul refers not only to the immaterial part of man but also the material part. Unlike man having a "spirit," man is a soul. In its most basic sense, the word soul means "life." However, the Bible moves beyond "life" and into many areas. One of those areas is to man's eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Man is naturally evil, and his soul is tainted as a result. The life principle is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The "soul," as with the "spirit," is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word soul is used, it can refer to the whole person, alive or after death.

The "soul" and the "spirit" are similar in the manner in which they are used in the spiritual life of the believer. They are different in their reference. The "soul" is man's horizontal view with the world. The "spirit" is man's vertical view with God. It is important to understand that both refer to the immaterial part of man, but only the "spirit" refers to man's walk with God. The "soul" refers to man's walk in the world, both material and immaterial.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::amen:

Upvote 0

pehkay

Aug 10, 2006
✟17,557.00
Faith
Christian
This has been done many times :p ... well

If we are going to know our human spirit we must see the difference between the spirit and the soul. The most important passage showing us the difference between the spirit and the soul is 1 Corinthians 2:14-15: "But a soulish man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he is not able to know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he is discerned by no one."

A SOULISH MAN

Verse 14 tells us clearly that the soulish man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God. The soulish man can never know anything about God. There's no possibility for the soulish man to know God, but in the following verse it says the spirit, the human spirit, knows. With the soulish man there is no possibility to know God, but with the spiritual man there is the full possibility. So by these two verses you can see the difference between the soul and the spirit. If you are a man of the soul you can never know anything of God. If you are a man of the spirit, then you know the things of God. By this passage we can see the difference between the spirit and the soul, yet so many Christians today still insist on saying that the spirit and the soul are synonymous terms. However, 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 shows that with the soul there is no possibility to know anything of God, but with the spirit there is the full possibility.

If you are a man of the soul, you are just in darkness with the things of God. You have to be a man of the spirit. Then you will know the things of God. These verses reveal a great difference between the soul and the spirit. There's no possibility for us to know anything of God if we are a soulish man. What is a soulish man? A soulish man is a man living by the soul and in the soul. The difference between being soulish and being spiritual is the very difference between the soul and the spirit. We cannot say that the spirit is the same as the soul. If we say this, we are in darkness. We all must be very, very clear that the spirit is absolutely different from the soul. Are the ears the same as the eyes? The eye and the ear are not synonymous terms. You can't say this. The eyes are the eyes and the ears are the ears. These are two different organs, two different parts of your being. In like manner, the soul is not the spirit. The teaching of dichotomy, that man is of two parts, is absolutely unscriptural.

SPIRIT AND SOUL AND BODY

Secondly, we have 1 Thessalonians 5:23. We must open to the Word and read it. Don't listen to any man's opinion. Don't listen to any man's word. Come back to the Word of God and read it: "And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." This verse clearly mentions that we have three parts-the spirit and the soul and the body. Two conjunctions connect three things. There is no ground to say that the spirit is the soul. We all must give up the human teaching of dichotomy and come back to the Word of God.

In 1954, when we were in Hong Kong, we had a conference. An American brother who was a missionary to Japan came to Hong Kong to attend the conference. After the conference he came and said that he was really impressed with the conference, the atmosphere, and the messages, but he didn't agree that the spirit was different from the soul. To him the spirit and the soul were synonymous terms.

Then I asked him about 1 Thessalonians 5:23: spirit and soul and body. I told him that if he said the spirit was the soul then I would say that the soul was the body. Anyhow, he said that whatever 1 Thessalonians 5:23 said, he would not admit that the spirit and soul are two different parts of our being.

JOINTS AND MARROW

Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, both of joints and marrow, and able to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart." The word divides the spirit from the soul just as the sword divides the marrow from the joints which are the bones. The marrow is not the same as the bones. The marrow is something within the bones, the joints. In the same principle the spirit is something within the soul. It is easy for people to see the bones. But it is not so easy for people to realize what the marrow is. You have to break the bones to get to the marrow. In like manner, the spirit is under the covering of the soul, but it is absolutely different from the soul.

THE SPIRIT HAVING REJOICED AND THE SOUL MAGNIFYING

Luke 1:46-47 says, "And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour." My soul magnifies and my spirit has rejoiced. These verses again clearly show the uniqueness of the soul and the spirit. The spirit firstly rejoices and then the soul magnifies the Lord. Again, if we are going to know the spirit, we have to see the difference between the spirit and the soul.

DENYING THE SOUL

In the teaching of the New Testament, especially in the Gospels, it always tells us that we have to deny the soul, to lose the soul, but it never tells us that we have to deny the spirit. In the Epistles, we are always told that we have to walk according to spirit, live in the spirit, and do things by the spirit. In the Gospels is the denying of the soul; then in the Epistles you have walking according to the spirit (Rom. 8:4). The New Testament doesn't tell us to walk and live and do things in the soul.

Matthew 10:38-39 says, "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his soul (the word here in Greek is "psuche," meaning soul) shall lose it, and he who loses his soul for My sake shall find it." Then Matthew 16:24-26 says, "Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his soul shall lose it; but whoever loses his soul for My sake shall find it. For what shall a man be profited if he should gain the whole world, but forfeit his soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" The soul must be denied.

Then Mark 8:35-36 says, "For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it, but whoever will lose his soul for My sake and the gospel's shall save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Luke 9:24-25 says, "For whosoever will save his soul shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his soul for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?" In Matthew it says "lose his own soul." Here it says "lose himself." That means to deny the soul.

John 12:25 says, "He who loves his soul loses it, and he who hates his soul in this world shall keep it unto eternal life." In all the four Gospels the Lord told us again and again that we have to lose the soul, to deny the soul, but you cannot find a word telling us that we have to lose the spirit or deny the spirit. On the contrary, the Epistles charge us to walk according to spirit, to do things in the spirit, and to pray in the spirit (Rom. 8:4; Rom. 1:9; Eph. 6:18). In the teachings of the Gospels we are told to deny the soul, to lose the soul, but in the teachings of all the Epistles we have to take care of the spirit, walk in the spirit, and we have to do things, to pray in the spirit. So there is a big, big difference between the soul and the spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Gerhard Kittel has an excellent article on the subject in his Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, under the word psuch. The article answers the several questions and issues which have been raised so far on this thread. It is well worth reading. But it is somewhere over 10 pages long, so not practicable to post here.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To get to know where some of you are in your theology I need to ask this question. Is there a difference between Soul and Spirit? The poll is for your yes or no answer but I would appreciate a bit of reasoning behind your belief on this and the use of scripture of course is always welcome.

If you do believe that there is a difference, what is it? If you don't believe there is a difference, why not?

This is a public poll.
The Spirit and the Soul are seperate.
Bless the Lord Oh my soul and all that is within me.
Bless His HOLY Name!
:bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a really good post from another thread addressing this topic:

"
Originally Posted by visionary
What is your understanding of spiritual realm?
Excellent topic. The Bible teaches us more about the spirit realm than we realize.

I think we can all agree that this is where angels dwell.
I believe that it is also the place of
-thought
-words
-concepts
Agreed. More to it than that but I agree with what you say.

all coming from the spark of life like
-electrical current.
-gravity
-fire
-energy
-wind
-and all those other things that we know exist but can not see.. just the results and effect on us or our surroundings
Not sure what you mean here. All in your list are physical phenomena / properties. All of which "used" to be thought of as spirit (spiritual) in nature until scientifically studied and understood... although light and gravity still give scientists a head ache for explaining.

Gravity is the result of a physical plane (plasma, gaseous, liquid, or solid) displacing itself against the curvature of space. The greater the surface of that plane in effect pushing against the curvature of space the greater the force back from the curvature of space (or gravity). The same thing occurs with the principal of buoyancy / displacement of water.

That's how a a million tons of steel can float.

Light is a little harder to define because science is slow to grasp new discoveries. Most recently is the acceptance of plasma as the forth state of matter. But the rewriters of science text books are going to have to convene again when it comes to light... it is a fifth state of matter in that it has properties of of particles but it also has properties of electromagnetic radiation (waves / wavelengths)...

Its is a duality.

Science admits this but won't go along with what this suggests... right down to the quantum levels of what makes everything... everything. The Bible and this thread define this as evidence of the spirit realm. Humanist / atheist / gnostic scientists won't even consider science that goes beyond the physical. "That's metaphysics." they grumble and sharply slam the door on their open-mindedness.

It stands to reason two particles cannot occupy the same space at the same time... nor be in two places at once. But quantum physics has shown this with repeated light particle - wave experiments to be so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

What some have theorized (or postulated) is the overlap of coexisting (physical of course) universes occupying the same space. Resorting to science fiction to define science fact... rather than admit the existence of the metaphysical (spirit real) being proven by science.

As I understand it, one quantum physicist of note committed suicide at the undeniable discovery and the conclusions he could not face: that all he was ever taught about metaphysics, a morbid spiritless humanism, was all a lie... and he could not live with it."

"The soul is a lot like light in that it is a duality.

This is why the Bible describes the soul at times with physical terminology and at other times with spiritual terminology. Both apply. For the soul is a buffer between the physical and the spiritual. And when the spirit leaves the physical body, the buffer (soul) ceases to exist.

This is how the Bible can describe death as the conscious continuation of the spirit, the unconscious slumber of the body, and the sudden non-existence of the soul."

from here:

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=49404241#post49404241

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The spirit is called Adam, in which we are the individual fruits/souls. It is created one spirit with one nature, which is the "being" of it's kind: Malachi 2:15.

The Adam spirit multiplies itself as commanded, by the seed placed in the head of our race [the firstborn ish is the head, and his ishyah is the em/mother of the living seed -and the ish named the ishyah "Eve" because she was the mother of the "living" seed in his loins: they were not born, but formed, and the two were called Adam, and were male and the female, and they were commanded to multiply the Adam seed].

The spirit called Adam is the drive, the nature, that each Adam soul is formed as a separate Adam fruit in, and fleshed out with the body of it's kind, in, by the command of the Father of all spirits.

All spirits that the Father of spirits created have thier own nature, or drive, to produce it's own kind by multiplying the seed created in it's first "father/ or head of it's kind at the beginning.

When an Adam is come to fruit it is a separate/individual fruit on the Adam plant, but it is one kind as to it's nature, or spirit, and therefore it is also one kind in it's blood, one kind in it's flesh, one kind in it's bone, all multiplied seed from the creation at the beginning, of the firstborn of our race.

It is the spirit called Adam that drives our nature to do the inherent things that Adam does, or that apple does, or that deer does, or that fig tree does, or that robin does, and so on and so forth.

Adam is in us and we are in Adam, and Adam is dead in spirit since the fall of our first father and for that reason we wear clothes to cover the shame of our fallen nature, in it's loss of the Glory we were made to be bearers of as the rulers of this world.

Adam is irreversibly fallen, with no hope for the restoration of the Glory and everlasting Life in himself; but the Creator who made us in His own image to be a house for His Glory, had made a plan for our ransom before He made our first father and the kingdom for him, which he was multiply his kind and to rule over.
That plan was to prepare a new creation human being body in the womb of a virgin daughter in Adam and to dress Himself in that body of human flesh and nature -Himself, the Living Spirit- so that He would have the legal right to ransom the brother of that flesh, the Adam and Adam's seed, and to ransom the kingdom sold, back, for the Glory to indwell in the regeneration of all things.
By His pre-ordained Atonement He made an end of the remembrance of the transgression of Adam before the Glory on high, so that whosoever will can call on His name for cleansing of their soul and the adoption into His Living Spirit, which is the New Man nature.

In short, in Adam [the dead spirit] all die. In Christ [the Living Spirit] all are made alive by second birth into His Living Spirit, which birth from above promises to those born in Him and wo continue to dwell in Him that they will also receive the second birth of body, elementally changed into His new Man image, at the time of the resurrection of the body from the dust of this creation and/ or at the ingathering of His first harvest of earth's adopted from Adam to Christ, sons [which is typed in Pentecost and told of in the types and shadows -the signs- taught by the living oracles committed to the namesake poeple of the New Man name, the name of God come in flesh as Prince of Peace, God of the world, and who is YHWH come in flesh as "Kinsman" to Adam, which word in Hebrew is one and the same as "Redeemer".

Upvote 0

spiritman

Jul 4, 2008
✟11,991.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here's my understanding.

The spirit of man - Is the body of the spirit. Form and material composition. Its the whole inner man, from top to bottom. Like looking at the physical body but spirit substance.

The soul of man - Is the life of the inner man. Its his individual, personal, independent existence.

The heart of man - Is in the soul or life of the inner man. This is the administrative area of our being. Mind, will, and emotions.

I can provide scriptures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's my understanding.

The spirit of man - Is the body of the spirit. Form and material composition. Its the whole inner man, from top to bottom. Like looking at the physical body but spirit substance.

The soul of man - Is the life of the inner man. Its his individual, personal, independent existence.

The heart of man - Is in the soul or life of the inner man. This is the administrative are of our being. Mind, will, and emotions.

I can provide scriptures if anyone is interested.
:cool: This here is very thought provoking.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its easy to me and not too complicated. Genesis 2:7. The spirit is a part of the souls. The spirit and the body makes the soul. The soul is the individual and not a part of the individual. The soul that sins shall die (Ezekiel 18:20). All these nice sounding complicated definitions do not seem necessary to me. The bible makes it plain. We are made living souls after the manner of Adam (I Cor 15). It does not say we are given living souls but we are made living souls. Do an investigation of the hebrew word for spirit. It means wind, rush of air, them kinda words. Job uses it to describe the breathe of life. Where we get confused is that spirit has more than one meaning and it means different things based on the context. So then. If you want to know what these terms mean in relation to the composition of man then look at the scriptures that talk about the composition of man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Telford,Shropshire,England
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So much specualtion on what 'soul' and 'spirit' means!

here are hte real definitions and not the Greek philisophical influenced ideas already promoted on this thread that should have nothing to do with Hebrew and Christian thought!

Nephesh - Psyche - Soul
The important passage in Genesis 2:7 sets the scene for this 'window - word' into the nature of personhood. An individual becomes a 'nephesh' from the infusion of divine breath into moulded dust. In physical terms 'nephesh' means, 'neck', 'throat', 'gullet' and came to mean 'life', that 'vital motion' which distinguishes a living being from a corpse.

'Nephesh' has such a variety of senses that we must make a careful definition in each particular case. Meanings overlap and are used side by side. It is easy to end up with contradictory statements about 'nephesh'. Here are some of the central statements about 'nephesh':-
• it is that vital life which is shared by both humans and animals [Gen 2:19].
• it is life that is bound up with the body, blood is the vehicle of nephesh [Dt 12:23], at death it dies [Nu 23:10] draining away with the blood, with resuscitation it 'returns'; not that it has gone anywhere.
• it can denote 'the living individual themselves' [Gen 14:21], and can replace the personal pronoun to create special emphasis [Ps 42:6], God uses it of himself [Am 6:8].
• it is strongly instinctive [animal] activity; desire, vital urge, feeling, emotion, mood [Dt 14:26].
• it is feelings and emotions of a spiritual kind; grief, pain, joy, peace, love [Ezk 27:31]; its highest expression is longing for God [Ps 25:1].
The New Testament uses the Greek 'psyche' with the sense of the Hebrew 'nephesh'. Paul's writings are significant for how rarely he uses it. The Synoptics are interesting in that one third of their usage refers to life beyond death [Mt 10:28,39; 16:25-26; Mk 8:35-37; Lk 9:24; 21:19], due to the overlap of present and future in the Kingdom of God; revolutionary in terms of its Hebrew roots.
This 'nephesh' is primarily the life of the whole person in terms of strongly instinctive [animal] activity. It reflects the glory and richness of God's gift of life to him though susceptible to death. It is not an independent substance which, as many have argued, survives death. It is, as we shall see a highly complex image very easy to misinterpret.
Ruah - Pneuma - Spirit
This 'picture - window' into personhood highlights our unique relationship with God.'Ruah' has its roots in the 'wind' which emphasises both its powerful and yet subtle nature. 'Ruah' is used in a number of different contexts:-
• for the wind in nature.
• for the nature of God's being ['Spirit of God', 'Holy Spirit']; dynamic, overwhelming, at times completely dominating [Jg 6:34], the root of prophesying [ISam 10:5-6] and abnormal strength [Jg 14:6].
• for demonic activity [ISam 16:14].
• for the 'principle of life' [akin to 'nephesh' often used interchangeably]. It is the life force present everywhere; independent, universal, it does not die.
• for the vital energy dwelling within each individual, that force which affects temperament.
Human 'ruah' is more than just the natural breath we breathe [which is 'nesama']. There is a vital energy within each person which is the result of the special 'in-breathing' of God; the centre of thoughts, decisions, moods, and is the dimension of personhood most directly open to the influence of God. 'Ruah' particularly stresses:-
• the direction of the will, it is the energy behind willing and acting, that which urges good and evil [Isa 29:24; Ps 51:12].
• the deep emotions; passion [Jg 8:3], grief [Gen 26:35] zeal [Hag 1:14], often seen in the panting of excitement or distress which is different from normal breathing.
• the seat of individual moral qualities and attitudes [Ecc 7:8; Isa 57:15; Num 14:24]. Ezekiel sees the Messianic age as a period when individuals will be permeated by Yahweh's 'ruah' which in turn will renew their own [11; 19; 18:31; 36:26; 39:29]. This is one of the most important words in Paul's vocabulary with his emphasis on regeneration, sanctification, fellowship with God [Gal. 5:22-23 etc].
• the experience of being in touch with God and under God's influence. The human 'ruah' searches out God's ways [Ps 77:7; Isa 26;9], it can be stirred or hardened by God [Jer 51; 11; Dt 2:30].
'Ruah' presents us with human nature's in interplay with the nature of God. It is stressing a person open to and transmitting the life of God [Rm 8:16; ICor 2:10-11]. It has no physical 'animal' character, [never associated with blood], transcending mere desire or feeling.
Leb - Kardia - Heart
'Leb' is a 'window - word' that looks in at personhood in terms of deepest emotions and from the perspective of intellect and will. 'Leb', in some ways, draws together every spiritual process. It is'conscious spiritual activity'.
It was early recognised that emotions and intense feelings produce physical effects in the heart [slow, quick, intermittent pulse rates, sometimes strong pain]. So it has come to picture the epicentre of the human person as an emotional being. Other bodily organs have been drawn alongside to add other facets to this idea:-
• Kidneys: the unfathomable depths of an individual, centre of emotions that only God can search out and test [Jer 11:20; 12:2; Isa 29:13].
• Bowels: emotions that can be deeply agitated; seething fermenting, troubling [Job 30:27; Lam 1:20].
• Inwards-Belly: emphasising the unique character of human spiritual nature in contrast to the external world [Phil 3:19; Jn 7:38].
• Bones: the basic structural element in man; spiritually and emotionally as
well as physically [Ps 35:10; Pr 3:8], they suffer seismic shock in emotional distress [Jer 23:9].
The other very important emphasis of 'leb' is personhood in terms of their inner direction; the deliberate conscious activity of the will and the responsibility it brings.
What comes from an individuals heart is 'the distinct property of the whole person' making them responsible for it. The 'responsible will' is central to the biblical concept of the 'heart'. Making God's will our own requires a new heart [Ezk 36:26].
Paul in his writings uses 'kardia' with all the senses of the Hebrew 'leb', but enlarges it by the introduction of two other words that emphasis 'will' and ' responsibilities':-
• Mind [nous]: human intellectual capacity [Phil 4:7] which may be good or bad. It may be immoral, vain, corrupt defiled [Rm 1:28; Eph 4:17]. It contains God's law [Rm 7:23] and in a Christian is renewed transforming life [Rm 12:2], imparting the mind of Christ [ICor 2:16].
• Conscience [suneidessis]: human faculty for moral judgment. It can be defiled [ICor 8:7] or pure [ITim 3:9]. It is that consciousness of 'being right within one's heart' [Rm2:15].
So 'leb' is conscious spiritual activity, stressing the sense of responsibility.
Contrast : Nephesh, Ruah, Leb
It will be quite clear that 'nephesh', 'ruah', and 'leb' overlap one another at significant points.
The distinctions between 'nephesh' and 'leb' at the higher level of understanding is very difficult. They are often used interchangeably [cf Ex 6:9 with Jg 16:16; Ecc 7:8 with Job 6:11], and yet they are not the same. The distinction is found back at their roots.
The overlap between all three is to be expected when we remember each is considering the whole man from a slightly different angle. Their contrasting stresses may be seen as:-
• Nephesh : instinctive 'animal' activity.
• Leb : conscious spiritual activity.
• Ruah : personhood open to the influence of the nature of God.
'Nephesh' and 'leb' stand in contrast with 'ruah' between them. 'Nephesh' and 'ruah' stress the 'lower' and 'higher' levels of consciousness.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No speculation at all Mikecpking, I do not wonder about this at all. I just wanted to make a poll to get a good gage of what people in this forum believe on the subject. So far I have found that I agree with most everyone who has participated. :cool:

Upvote 0

Ornela

Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
✟8,662.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is this...

Wow! I feel like I am actually learning something on this subforum. :) (I' ''come from'' the women's discussion subforum) :p
I used to think that soul and spirit are the same thing but you explained it so well that I no longer have a doubt that they are two different things. Well done. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Telford,Shropshire,England
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Firstly, with 'soul' its simply the 'life'. Look at DT12:23 and Leviuticus 17:11. The whole living person is a soul (Gen 2:7) and it never refers to the inner man nor can 'soul' exist outside a living body. There is no trichotomy or dichotomy implied or refered to in the bible, but is is aspects of the whole being.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.